Corey Maggette's trade value?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Re: Corey Maggette's trade value? 

Post#41 » by princeofpalace » Fri Apr 2, 2010 3:17 am

NetsForce wrote:
princeofpalace wrote:IRC Spurs at one point wanted Maggette and this season Maggette has been much better than RJ. Yeah- eventually the Spurs will have to rebuild but dont you think they want to delay it for as long as possible?

No because that puts you (and I mean this in the nicest way possible) in a Detroit Pistons situation.

The Spurs have successfully delayed their rebuilding process for a number of years now their time to rebuild is right now however.

The situation is nothing like Detroits.

The only way it would be like Detroits is if SAS traded Tim Duncan for an expiring which they used on one good but redundant player and another flatout mediocre player.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#42 » by FNQ » Fri Apr 2, 2010 5:43 pm

turk3d wrote:
farzi wrote:The problem is, what teams in contention are A. in need of a 6th man, and B. have a package the Warriors would consider worthy

If Golden State packages something else with him, I guarantee you it won't be to fetch just expirings so let me quell that notion.

:rofl: Based on what? We're trying to sell, and trying to rebuild. Sounds like exactly something we'd do... but this refrain was the same one when we dealt Harrington... Crawford... Jackson.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,421

Post#43 » by shrink » Fri Apr 2, 2010 5:44 pm

J-Rich- wrote:
shrink wrote:I'm happy to see Maggette raise his value, but I still think GSW would be lucky to find a team willing to give expirings for him.

Same things were said about Crawford and Jackson and look what happened. GS got expirings except for Vladimir who will expire next season. At that time everyone said no ones gonna take a chance on Crawford's contract because everyone saving up for 2010 and Jackson was recently extended with a 3 yr deal at 30 yrs old. He was gonna expire after this season but his contract expires 3 more seasons after this season. Add that horrible contract of his and his attitude you'd think GS would need to take crappy contracts back but it didn't happen.

You realize that the market doesn't stay constant, and money is tighter than ever?
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#44 » by Prospect Dong » Fri Apr 2, 2010 5:59 pm

GS got expirings except for Vladimir who will expire next season

Another way of saying this is "GS couldn't get expirings for him", which is sort of the point. I think Mags is right around expiring-value. The big question with him is how he ages, and so far he's aged better than I thought he would. If I'm wrong about his value like i was for crawford you get expirings and maybe a very late first for him. If I'm wrong about his value like I was for Jackson you get a non-expiring package that J-Rich will call "expiring, except for the guy who isn't expiring". Best-guess - somewhere in the middle.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#45 » by turk3d » Fri Apr 2, 2010 6:38 pm

Interestingly this past offseason the Warriors got an offer for CJ Watson of a late 1st and an expiring which amazingly they turned down. I would think that Maggette has at least as much value (if not more) so I think a late first and an expiring or two would be a realistic expectation for him. By the same token, I'm not so sure that they would accept. I realize that we're talking about significantly more money in Maggette's case but I think that positions aside, he's worth more than CJ.

As stated, money may be tighter this year, but it may not. We really don't know which way the pendulum is going to swing in the NBA especially with the economy on a possible upswing. Now they're claiming that the average franchise is worth 500 Mil so I'd rather wait and see where things go before making any definitive statements.

As pointed out, they said similar things about Harrington, Crawford and Jackson and at least in Maggette's case he isn't demanding to be traded (which if he were, would diminish his value significantly). I do also realize that there are certain Warrior fans who hate certain players on the Warriors and would dump them for just about anything. Fortunately those fans don't have a say in what the Warriors management decides to do.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
J-Rich-
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#46 » by J-Rich- » Fri Apr 2, 2010 7:18 pm

Prospect Dong wrote:
GS got expirings except for Vladimir who will expire next season

Another way of saying this is "GS couldn't get expirings for him", which is sort of the point. I think Mags is right around expiring-value. The big question with him is how he ages, and so far he's aged better than I thought he would. If I'm wrong about his value like i was for crawford you get expirings and maybe a very late first for him. If I'm wrong about his value like I was for Jackson you get a non-expiring package that J-Rich will call "expiring, except for the guy who isn't expiring". Best-guess - somewhere in the middle.

raja expires this season...and vladdy expires next season. gs did an amazing job with that trade considering everyone here thought he was unmovable unless gs gets crap value back
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#47 » by FNQ » Fri Apr 2, 2010 7:41 pm

CJ Disaster had a 1 year contract making backup money... trading a late 1st for that makes sense, as those teams are looking for bit players, and the draft is still a crapshoot.

Maggette makes 3-30 over the life of his contract. Disaster's value >>>>>> Maggette's. Its embarrassing that our fans think we would be anything short of extremely lucky to get expirings for the guy.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#48 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Apr 2, 2010 7:53 pm

I like...

Richard Jefferson for Maggette

Vince Carter for Maggette, if Orl flames out this playoffs

Something like Kris Humphries/Keyon Dooling for Maggette - After New Jersey gets nobody this off season, they look to avoid another 10 win season and spend a bit... plus as of now their 2010-2011 payroll is 22 mil and I believe the minimum is 40, so they have to spend somewhere

Something like Hamed Haddidi for Maggette... after letting Gay go, Memphis decides they need a replacement to make the playoffs next year and look to repeat the Zbo situation. They spend their capspace on Maggette
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#49 » by old rem » Fri Apr 2, 2010 8:01 pm

Like Turk notes...some GSW fans having a stiff hate-on about Maggette for whatever reason,actually stretches the gap between Real GM and NBA reality.

There's guys paid more who produce 12-16 per without a lot of special other stuff getting paid $9-15 mill,so,one could say Maggette is overpaid,or not. In my opinion,there's a LOT of overpaid players. What's a guy DO to actually Earn $10 mill? $15 mill? $20 mill? The scale is a bit warped,you need to compete and nobody comes with a guarantee.

GSW has NO Mega contract guy. the 2 top scorers peak at $11 mill and $10 mill +. That's not bad. The 3 biggest $ guys add up to a max around $30 mill. Several teams pay $40 mill+ for their top salary 3.
GSW wanted to move Craw,thinking then Jackson was staying and Craw was too much $ for a backup at a spot they had a lot of players for. Then, Jackson,who I'd have traded sooner,wanted out. His numbers were career high but his efficiency...not too good. Jack was SO impulsive/emotional he could swing from asset to liability in a heartbeat. Point is...Maggette actually is not a problem for GSW. Delete him to later pay as much or more to replace his production,isn't a real gain. If GSW gets a guy a few yr younger and a bit less $ who is USEFUL....sure. I don't see that offer here.
I see paying $ for junk for a year to "get rid of" Mags,or trading for a guy who's a WORSE fit,or packages where we're tossing in keepers and not getting keepers back as if we were trading Brand's contract burden.

Who knows? I think GSW is ears open,but not in any rush.
CENSORED... No comment.
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#50 » by microfib4thewin » Fri Apr 2, 2010 8:12 pm

J-Rich- wrote:raja expires this season...and vladdy expires next season. gs did an amazing job with that trade considering everyone here thought he was unmovable unless gs gets crap value back

The same Vlad who was considered impossible to move when he was with the Lakers and everyone calling it a 'steal' when he got traded for Morrison. Also, contracts ending next year is still not an expiring, there's no need to put it in a nice way.
J-Rich-
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#51 » by J-Rich- » Fri Apr 2, 2010 8:46 pm

microfib4thewin wrote:
J-Rich- wrote:raja expires this season...and vladdy expires next season. gs did an amazing job with that trade considering everyone here thought he was unmovable unless gs gets crap value back

The same Vlad who was considered impossible to move when he was with the Lakers and everyone calling it a 'steal' when he got traded for Morrison. Also, contracts ending next year is still not an expiring, there's no need to put it in a nice way.

Why not? GS would've been stuck with Jackson and his cancerous attitude or be stuck with long term bad contract(s). And a lot of people outside of GS fans don't remember how bad he was to the team. The trade for more than a steal for GS. Just wait until the honeymoon ends for Bobcats and Jackson.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#52 » by turk3d » Fri Apr 2, 2010 9:27 pm

microfib4thewin wrote:

He will be an expiring when any of these trades might take place. Trading time (for this year) is over so at the point where any of this matters, Vlad is an expiring for all practical purposes.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#53 » by Prospect Dong » Fri Apr 2, 2010 10:43 pm

turk3d wrote:
microfib4thewin wrote:

He will be an expiring when any of these trades might take place. Trading time (for this year) is over so at the point where any of this matters, Vlad is an expiring for all practical purposes.

That's true, but he wasn't an expiring when he was used to acquire Jackson. Jackson didn't net expirings, and neither did Harrington, though Crawford obviously did.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
turk3d
RealGM

Post#54 » by turk3d » Sat Apr 3, 2010 1:01 am

I didn't realize that was what he meant. I thought he was referring to the present which is what I'm much more concerned with. So yeah, you're right when the deal was made Vlad had two years left but Raja and Law were in fact both expirings. Considering the circumstances with Jackson and the fact that we pretty much had to trade him and he had 3 more years on his deal, the return was pretty good and probably better than most thought, at least that was the original thought. After finding out that Raja was hurt and we wouldn't get much use out of him, that was a bit disappointing.
N.O.R.E.
RealGM
And1: 240

Post#55 » by N.O.R.E. » Sat Apr 3, 2010 1:26 pm

I don't know, if the Warriors held out they could have got pure expirings IMHO. Those expirings could have come in hand IMHO, but instead it's the yearly race to the bottom for GS. Believe me when I say this, I'd love to see them turn it around with new ownership, competent management (+structure) and some decent roster moves.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#56 » by NetsForce » Sat Apr 3, 2010 3:46 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:Something like Kris Humphries/Keyon Dooling for Maggette - After New Jersey gets nobody this off season, they look to avoid another 10 win season and spend a bit... plus as of now their 2010-2011 payroll is 22 mil and I believe the minimum is 40, so they have to spend somewhere

Hell no. That's beyond terrible.

At least throw in the Warriors unprotected 2010 first round draft pick to get people to think about it...

Meeting the minimum salary is not a problem once you factor in things like the Nets draft picks, etc.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#57 » by Relentless88 » Sat Apr 3, 2010 3:48 pm

lol a fan thinks the Jackson trade was a good trade? They couldn't even get expirings for Jackson, and JAckson >>>>>>>> Maggette.
darobster17
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#58 » by darobster17 » Sat Apr 3, 2010 9:20 pm

As a W's fan I want a Maggette for Millsap. The Jazz needs Maggette since they really need a SG/SF that can score against bigger players.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#59 » by old rem » Sat Apr 3, 2010 10:58 pm

Relentless88 wrote:lol a fan thinks the Jackson trade was a good trade? They couldn't even get expirings for Jackson, and JAckson >>>>>>>> Maggette.

Jackson had numbers but his spontaneous spurts of reckless inefficiency were killers. I'd wanted him traded a year earlier when he DID have market value. The guy was a problem child and Nellie enabled his worst qualities. Trading from a forced move position made it hard to get much for Jack. The return...frankly....sucked. It still was about as good as I expected. Bad timing really screwed the pooch. Maggette is not Jackson. GSW has no urgency to deal him. He's been starting. He's playing better that GSW likely expected when they signed him. What Jackson was dumped for has no relevance to what GSW will need to get if they decide to deal Maggette. If he becomes a problem,that would be a factor later.
CENSORED... No comment.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#60 » by turk3d » Sat Apr 3, 2010 11:45 pm

N.O.R.E. wrote:I don't know, if the Warriors held out they could have got pure expirings IMHO. Those expirings could have come in hand IMHO, but instead it's the yearly race to the bottom for GS. Believe me when I say this, I'd love to see them turn it around with new ownership, competent management (+structure) and some decent roster moves.

How so? The Warriors had three expirings coming into this season (Claxton, Bell and George). What did they do with them? Claxton and Bell (the two biggest) a combined 10 Mill were waived and George (the smallest @ just 1.7 Mil) will expire at the end of their season. This is one of the reasons that I'm not too keen on expirings when it comes to the Warriors.

Radman (since he expires next season) is more likely to be used in trade next season than the rest of them. They also had a big TPE a few years which they just let expire (in the J-Rich trade). Personally, I'd rather just keep the player if he's good and at least making a decent contribution which Mags is.

Return to Trades and Transactions