ImageImageImage

Give Spo Credit

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,534

Give Spo Credit 

Post#1 » by Peregrine01 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:45 am

I've been lurking these forums for a little bit and have been thoroughly entertained by the constant vitriol directed Spo's way. It seems that a coach on a team with Lebron, Wade and Bosh simply can't win.

But consider the subtle adjustment that Spo made at the end of the fourth. Lakers cut the lead down to two and called a timeout. Spo knew that Nash was coming into the game to initiate a drawn up play. So he put a double on Nash off the inbound, shading Gasol to get the ball to Metta instead. That single defensive move changed the entire complexion of the game. The Lakers burned a lot of clock trying to get the ball to Nash and ended up getting nothing out of the time out.

A lot of fans don't see the subtle adjustments that coaches can have on the game. But recognize that any team, no matter how talented, needs direction and cohesiveness. This is basically the coach's job. From an outsider looking in, Spo has been doing a pretty damn good job.
cb1
RealGM
And1: 1,214

Re: Give Spo Credit 

Post#2 » by cb1 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:52 am

Not to mention putting Wade on Nash and running Nash through screens to wear him out and get Ray good shots. He coached a very good game tonight imo.
krikor
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#3 » by krikor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:59 am

well yes, its in the moment of heat and game..I write stuff.
but overall he has done great job.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by Peregrine01 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:02 am

krikor wrote:well yes, its in the moment of heat and game..I write stuff.

It seems like whenever the team isn't functioning well, the coach is first to blame. They're the easiest targets, especially on a team like Miami.

I was also impressed with the offensive sets that Miami ran down the stretch. They kept varying things up, high PNR, down screens for Allen/Wade, iso for Lebron. If they continue to play the way they did tonight, imo, no team can beat them.
imchillin
Banned User
And1: 28

Post#5 » by imchillin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:05 am

Peregrine01 wrote:

It seems like whenever the team isn't functioning well, the coach is first to blame. They're the easiest targets, especially on a team like Miami.

I was also impressed with the offensive sets that Miami ran down the stretch. They kept varying things up, high PNR, down screens for Allen/Wade, iso for Lebron. If they continue to play the way they did tonight, imo, no team can beat them.

Unless they mic up for an entire game and I hear what plays Spo calls. I really just believe lebron calls the plays and delivers the ball in the right places half the time. Especially tonight.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Peregrine01 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:11 am

imchillin wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:

Unless they mic up for an entire game and I hear what plays Spo calls. I really just believe lebron calls the plays and delivers the ball in the right places half the time. Especially tonight.

That's a bit of a stretch don't you think? How can any team function effectively when a player undermines his coach? That coach would then lose his team and pretty soon be shown the door. In any successful or well-functioning team, the coach has to be the ultimate decision maker.
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,302

Post#7 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:17 am

i give spo credit for being the coach of lebron james, dwyane wade.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
El Alonzo scowl
Starter
And1: 5,359

Post#8 » by El Alonzo scowl » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:17 am

He's been pretty good the last games of this roadie. I hope this is him maturing as a coach and not just a temporary thing.
fast-break
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,858

Post#9 » by fast-break » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:18 am

Peregrine01 wrote:
imchillin wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:

That's a bit of a stretch don't you think? How can any team function effectively when a player undermines his coach? That coach would then lose his team and pretty soon be shown the door. In any successful or well-functioning team, the coach has to be the ultimate decision maker.

Well... not if that player is Lebron, he can run an offense as well as any elite PG. There are times when he's on the bench and the offense falls apart to the point where no one can seem to get a score. Bring him back in..draws the double-team and finds the open man for easy buckets, just like that. Spoelstra obviously draws up plays, but it's a "free flowing" offense as he's said before.
Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#10 » by Pimpwerx » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:20 am

I'm just watching this one from the sidelines. :D PEACE.
Heat_Fan_87
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#11 » by Heat_Fan_87 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:21 am

There are people that will refuse to believe or acknowledge that spo is a good coach. They are in denial. Best thing you can do is just ignore them on this topic.
imchillin
Banned User

Post#12 » by imchillin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 am

Peregrine01 wrote:.

I was also impressed with the offensive sets that Miami ran down the stretch. They kept varying things up, high PNR, down screens for Allen/Wade, iso for Lebron. If they continue to play the way they did tonight, imo, no team can beat them.[/quote]
Unless they mic up for an entire game and I hear what plays Spo calls. I really just believe lebron calls the plays and delivers the ball in the right places half the time. Especially tonight.[/quote]

That's a bit of a stretch don't you think? How can any team function effectively when a player undermines his coach? That coach would then lose his team and pretty soon be shown the door. In any successful or well-functioning team, the coach has to be the ultimate decision maker.[/quote]

Its not undermining if you're a great playmaker. Alot of the things lebron does to win us games is instinct. Alot of what SPo tells lebron is, read the defense and make the decision and thats what he does. Alot of the times i see him screaming plays its to Cole and Chalmers
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#13 » by HIF » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Nice to see that some recognise his brilliance. Others will continue to hide their heads in the sand to the real situation even after Spo picks up his 5th ring.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Mutnt
Veteran
And1: 726

Post#14 » by Mutnt » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Good game by Spo tonight, he was brilliant scoring 66 points, grabbing 11 boards and still managed to dish 13 assists while limiting Kobe to an awful performance. He was everywhere. Man where would we be without the all-mighty Spoester? He's the GOAT game winner that's for sure! His brillance should really be more recognized people! I suggest building a statue of him in front of AAA... unbelievable
'
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,368

Post#15 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Mutnt wrote:Good game by Spo tonight, he was brilliant scoring 66 points, grabbing 11 boards and still managed to dish 13 assists while limiting Kobe to an awful performance. He was everywhere. Man where would we be without the all-mighty Spoester? He's the GOAT game winner that's for sure! His brillance should really be more recognized people! I suggest building a statue of him in front of AAA... unbelievable
'

:lol:

That OP is so suspect...a lurker Spo fan (not Heat fan) that never posted here before and just had to share his admiration to our brilliant coach :lol:

The most impressive thing Spo did was to be the coach of 2 superstar and let them win the game for him. A win over the 11th western seed when you have LBJ and Wade beasting is hardly a coaching achievement.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
YamiRain
Starter
And1: 608

Post#16 » by YamiRain » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Honestly, They gotta figure out what to do with Bosh, Bosh is just gettin'g baad..
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Peregrine01 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:23 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
Mutnt wrote:Good game by Spo tonight, he was brilliant scoring 66 points, grabbing 11 boards and still managed to dish 13 assists while limiting Kobe to an awful performance. He was everywhere. Man where would we be without the all-mighty Spoester? He's the GOAT game winner that's for sure! His brillance should really be more recognized people! I suggest building a statue of him in front of AAA... unbelievable
'

:lol:

That OP is so suspect...a lurker Spo fan (not Heat fan) that never posted here before and just had to share his admiration to our brilliant coach :lol:

The most impressive thing Spo did was to be the coach of 2 superstar and let them win the game for him. A win over the 11th western seed when you have LBJ and Wade beasting is hardly a coaching achievement.

I'm not a Spo fan. I just appreciate good basketball when I see it.
Big Dee Chi-Born
Sixth Man
And1: 79

Post#18 » by Big Dee Chi-Born » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:I'm not a Spo fan. I just appreciate good basketball when I see it.

Did you appreciate how we couldn't get anything out of our halfcourt offense other than jumpshot after jumpshot in the first half? We were still losing despite the Lakers turning the ball over 16 TIMES. How about how Spo recognized how Bosh has been struggling lately and he didn't run anything to get him an easy bucket? Was that good basketball?

And lets get this straight. A lot of us don't doubt that Spo is a decent coach that works hard. He just doesn't have a natural feel for the game in my opinion. He doesn't adjust well, because he is a system guy. He's loyal to a fault. The benching of Bosh and Wade could've and should've been done from day one, and I guarantee you we wouldn't have to deal with the same effort issues year in and year out.

And to me the best play of the night was when we went to the full court trap after the freethrow and LeBron got the steal and dunk! We've been screaming for a defensive change like that for three years now!!! But we only saw it once last night and we have the best athletes in the world on the perimeter.

That's why we think Spo is misusing this great team he's been given.
imchillin
Banned User

Post#19 » by imchillin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:57 pm

HIF wrote:Nice to see that some recognise his brilliance. Others will continue to hide their heads in the sand to the real situation even after Spo picks up his 5th ring.

And this would happen because he has lebron and wade

He's not doing anything special you guys are crazy if you believe that. He does seem to work hard tho ill give him that
imchillin
Banned User

Post#20 » by imchillin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:I'm not a Spo fan. I just appreciate good basketball when I see it.

Did you appreciate how we couldn't get anything out of our halfcourt offense other than jumpshot after jumpshot in the first half? We were still losing despite the Lakers turning the ball over 16 TIMES. How about how Spo recognized how Bosh has been struggling lately and he didn't run anything to get him an easy bucket? Was that good basketball?

And lets get this straight. A lot of us don't doubt that Spo is a decent coach that works hard. He just doesn't have a natural feel for the game in my opinion. He doesn't adjust well, because he is a system guy. He's loyal to a fault. The benching of Bosh and Wade could've and should've been done from day one, and I guarantee you we wouldn't have to deal with the same effort issues year in and year out.

And to me the best play of the night was when we went to the full court trap after the freethrow and LeBron got the steal and dunk! We've been screaming for a defensive change like that for three years now!!! But we only saw it once last night and we have the best athletes in the world on the perimeter.

That's why we think Spo is misusing this great team he's been given.

This is exactly how I feel

Return to Miami Heat