ImageImageImage

Give Spo Credit

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Re: Give Spo Credit 

Post#21 » by Pimpwerx » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:I'm not a Spo fan. I just appreciate good basketball when I see it.

Did you appreciate how we couldn't get anything out of our halfcourt offense other than jumpshot after jumpshot in the first half? We were still losing despite the Lakers turning the ball over 16 TIMES. How about how Spo recognized how Bosh has been struggling lately and he didn't run anything to get him an easy bucket? Was that good basketball?

And lets get this straight. A lot of us don't doubt that Spo is a decent coach that works hard. He just doesn't have a natural feel for the game in my opinion. He doesn't adjust well, because he is a system guy. He's loyal to a fault. The benching of Bosh and Wade could've and should've been done from day one, and I guarantee you we wouldn't have to deal with the same effort issues year in and year out.

And to me the best play of the night was when we went to the full court trap after the freethrow and LeBron got the steal and dunk! We've been screaming for a defensive change like that for three years now!!! But we only saw it once last night and we have the best athletes in the world on the perimeter.

That's why we think Spo is misusing this great team he's been given.

We missed a bunch of open looks from the perimeter. Bosh as well. He was something like 1-7 before they stopped feeding him. What else do you want Spo to do?

You guys don't know **** about coaching. Let's just all admit that. I'm not gonna pretend to know more than a coach, but you guys have no issues bandying around your misguided ideas as if it's from a position of authority. What happened to the Chicken Littles crying about our lack of size killing us? When I and Spo and Riley and others have said that it's just a lack of effort, I got killed for claiming that. They put in effort and strangle two teams in a row. This team is fine. The system works in the postseason, which is what this team is built for. You may be disappointed in the normal ebb and flow of the regular season, but rest assured, they are just normal ebbs and flows.

When you got a team that's proven to have championship mettle, the constant complaining and downplaying of our personnel becomes grating. Phil Jackson wasn't the great Phil Jackson over night. Years from now, when Spo's still our head coach, and we're still riding a wave of success, you'll look back and realize you spent the best years in Heat history complaining about one of the key cogs in the machine.

Coaching matters. LA and NY say hi. PEACE.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,125

Post#22 » by dolphinatik » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:58 pm

I give credit for Udonis and Battier picking up 4 fouls early which basically forced Spo to play Joel and Lewis more. I give credit to Lebron for forcing it to Joel over and over when nobody else cares to use Joel in our offense even though we all knew he would miss them; he got to the line and drew fouls. I ive credit to Lebron and Wade staying aggressive for once. Cole was all over Nash and u could see Nash get frustrated when a Heat player would jet into the passing lane. I think Spo's hand was forced and if UD and battier didnt get into foul trouble then he would have used the same rotation that takes us out of rhythm and leaves us with nothing left in the fourth.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
TheDon008
Banned User
And1: 63

Post#23 » by TheDon008 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:25 pm

LOL @ random guys on an internet forum Knowing more about coaching basketball than a proven Championship caliber NBA coach.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,603

Post#24 » by Heej » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:31 am

I've said for years now that Spo is a savant with X's and O's. This guy came up in the Heat organization from starting out as a video coordinator for christ's sake. He digests game film like Ron Artest downed Hennessy during half time. He's consistently been one of the best after timeout playcalling coaches in the league for years now as I've said. Sure he fell in love with small ball, but that's because it's proven to work when guys put in the necessary effort. Spo's done what he could with the flawed personnel he's been given (particularly in terms of bigs).

I've said this so many times but I'll say it again. One of the main things that defines a head coach is their ability to get players to buy into the system and not break of plays at their fancy. The defensive rotations our guys play with has guys on a string. It's one of the most clean and crisp defenses in the league from a structural/discipline standpoint in terms of how well our guys execute it. Sure we make mistakes, but the way these guys help and recover and pick up each other's men is a thing of beauty. That comes from hours of drilling, breaking down game film, and most importantly getting through to players to buy into what you're preaching as opposed to pointing at their guy whenever they get a screen set on them and calling for a switch (aka pulling a Carmelo Anthony).

When our guys put in the effort our ballhawking defense disrupts opponents sets, shuts off primary and secondary options, eats time off the opposing team's shot clock, and causes absolute havoc on pick and rolls. Sure we have our rebounding woes, but our first line of defense is nothing short of excellent and we have Spo to thank for that.

Also our double post offense and Horns sets have been slaying the rest of the league all season long. The quick ball reversals on the perimeter we're known for always have opposing defenses scrambling and our guys are generally pretty disciplined about trying to find good shots. We get our guys good shots on the perimeter, and they fall at a higher rate than most of the league. Sure we have the best player in the league on this team, and when he feels like it Wade is top 5, but our offense does a damn good job putting our guys in position to score when they run it properly (which can't always be expected to be done because running a good offense in the NBA is every bit as tiring as running a good defense which fans can't seem to grasp).
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Big Dee Chi-Born
Sixth Man
And1: 79

Post#25 » by Big Dee Chi-Born » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:19 am

Pimpwerx wrote:We missed a bunch of open looks from the perimeter. Bosh as well. He was something like 1-7 before they stopped feeding him. What else do you want Spo to do?

Personally I would want Spo to call some quick hitters to get some easy baskets. I already stated that Bosh has been struggling, not just in last nights game, but last two or three games! And what's a better way to get a shooter going other than getting him a LAYUP or FREETHROWS???

Pimpwerx wrote:You guys don't know **** about coaching. Let's just all admit that. I'm not gonna pretend to know more than a coach, but you guys have no issues bandying around your misguided ideas as if it's from a position of authority. What happened to the Chicken Littles crying about our lack of size killing us? When I and Spo and Riley and others have said that it's just a lack of effort, I got killed for claiming that. They put in effort and strangle two teams in a row. This team is fine. The system works in the postseason, which is what this team is built for. You may be disappointed in the normal ebb and flow of the regular season, but rest assured, they are just normal ebbs and flows.

First of all you don't know what I know about coaching. I coach and I do refereeing on the side. I bet you don't referee, but I'm sure you don't hesitate to say a ref made a bad call do you? You see how dumb that position is??? It doesn't take a genius to recognize Spo's short comings nor does it take being a NBA coach. And if your position is that if a person has achieved a higher position in life their opinions and experience should trump that of lesser guys, why is Spo the coach of the Heat? Hell McAdoo and Keith Askins both played in the League and coached longer than Spo, but Riley gifted him the job!!! So please kill that Spo is a NBA coach so he knows more crap. It's the lamest argument ever...

And as far as normal ebb and flows... There is nothing NORMAL about this team! We shouldn't be experiencing anything NORMAL. I'm not sure why you're ok with normal things happening with this team, but it's not ok. Since everybody is hardworking and competent in your opinion, we should be over-achieving as a team. Right?

Pimpwerx wrote:When you got a team that's proven to have championship mettle, the constant complaining and downplaying of our personnel becomes grating. Phil Jackson wasn't the great Phil Jackson over night. Years from now, when Spo's still our head coach, and we're still riding a wave of success, you'll look back and realize you spent the best years in Heat history complaining about one of the key cogs in the machine.

Coaching matters. LA and NY say hi. PEACE.

Championship mettle? We won one title dude! This ain't a dynasty situation Spo's sitting on right now! Kill that fake confidence stuff. It's not warranted. If this team loses the championship this year we would've wasted 2 championships on a dude who wasn't ready to put together a championship run. You do realize that don't you? And we only have one more guaranteed year with LeBron. So pray and dream again that LeBron goes beast mode and we get another Championship this summer.

I hope you don't think Spo is a better coach than Mike Woodson either! Because Woodson has already whooped Spo's butt when he was in Atlanta. I bet you forgot about that huh? You think Spo did something with this Dream Team by beating NY last year don't ya? Even after they lost two major players too huh??? LOL dude you... Never mind... :bowdown:
imchillin
Banned User
And1: 28

Post#26 » by imchillin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:35 am

Heej wrote:I've said for years now that Spo is a savant with X's and O's. This guy came up in the Heat organization from starting out as a video coordinator for christ's sake. He digests game film like Ron Artest downed Hennessy during half time. He's consistently been one of the best after timeout playcalling coaches in the league for years now as I've said. Sure he fell in love with small ball, but that's because it's proven to work when guys put in the necessary effort. Spo's done what he could with the flawed personnel he's been given (particularly in terms of bigs).

I've said this so many times but I'll say it again. One of the main things that defines a head coach is their ability to get players to buy into the system and not break of plays at their fancy. The defensive rotations our guys play with has guys on a string. It's one of the most clean and crisp defenses in the league from a structural/discipline standpoint in terms of how well our guys execute it. Sure we make mistakes, but the way these guys help and recover and pick up each other's men is a thing of beauty. That comes from hours of drilling, breaking down game film, and most importantly getting through to players to buy into what you're preaching as opposed to pointing at their guy whenever they get a screen set on them and calling for a switch (aka pulling a Carmelo Anthony).

When our guys put in the effort our ballhawking defense disrupts opponents sets, shuts off primary and secondary options, eats time off the opposing team's shot clock, and causes absolute havoc on pick and rolls. Sure we have our rebounding woes, but our first line of defense is nothing short of excellent and we have Spo to thank for that.

Also our double post offense and Horns sets have been slaying the rest of the league all season long. The quick ball reversals on the perimeter we're known for always have opposing defenses scrambling and our guys are generally pretty disciplined about trying to find good shots. We get our guys good shots on the perimeter, and they fall at a higher rate than most of the league. Sure we have the best player in the league on this team, and when he feels like it Wade is top 5, but our offense does a damn good job putting our guys in position to score when they run it properly (which can't always be expected to be done because running a good offense in the NBA is every bit as tiring as running a good defense which fans can't seem to grasp).

ALL this and we still struggle to beat bad teams and we still have scrubs dropping all career highs on a nightly and we still probly give up the most 3's in the league....

i've never seen a team with so much potential and talent have to play as hard as they do lol its laughable lol the damn Thunder who's probably a little less talented than we are win games easier than we do. Thank God we match up well with them and have Lebron. because if lebron aint great we fall apart.

The freakin Bulls without their starsss win games easier than we do, WOW great coaching SPo.....
narmerguy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,052

Post#27 » by narmerguy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:42 am

Spo's a good, not great court. Let's not ignore the beauty of having the greatest player in the world who can do pretty much everything. How many games do we win just because Lebron starts going beast? Ditto for the playoffs.

Not saying Spo deserves no credit. I'm saying that he doesn't deserve inordinate credit. Just like if the Lakers make it to the finals I'm not going to start singing how great a coach D'Antoni is.
GreenHat
Assistant Coach
And1: 340

Post#28 » by GreenHat » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:21 pm

cb1 wrote:Not to mention putting Wade on Nash and running Nash through screens to wear him out and get Ray good shots. He coached a very good game tonight imo.

He has Lebron, Wade and Allen and the Lakers had Artest, Kobe and Nash to guard them with. Kobe can't guard any of the three effectively and Nash can't guard any of the three at all.

Seems more to do with personnel rather than coaching.

The Lakers have been a bad defensive team all year. Not a big accomplishment to come up with an offensive strategy that works when you have amazing offensive cast against a bad defense with multiple players who can guard one or none of our players.
Your emotions fuel the narratives that you create. You see what you want to see. You believe what you want to believe. You ascribe meaning when it is not there. You create significance when it is not present.
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#29 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:52 pm

I like that he focuses on D, makes me happy. His offense is just piss poor, thank god our core is gifted offensive players already. He is mediocre at best.
Donald Trump is an idiot.
Pimpwerx
Banned User

Post#30 » by Pimpwerx » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:36 am

Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:Personally I would want Spo to call some quick hitters to get some easy baskets. I already stated that Bosh has been struggling, not just in last nights game, but last two or three games! And what's a better way to get a shooter going other than getting him a LAYUP or FREETHROWS???

We did that a lot more in 2010, but with mixed success. Bosh can get to the rim against some guys easier than others. He's open for jumpshots early, primarily because his man often plays off him early. Getting his jumpshot going early opens the lane for him and others, and he's used that to attack the rim or pumpfake to draw fouls. Considering we need him more for shooting and pnr on offense, it's not that important to get him easy looks close in. We're trying to drag the bigs out of the paint, not draw more doubles in. Bosh is also our best midrange shooter, so with him getting layups, the onus is on others to hit jumpshots to space the floor. That doesn't seem like the right course of action to start things off.

First of all you don't know what I know about coaching. I coach and I do refereeing on the side. I bet you don't referee, but I'm sure you don't hesitate to say a ref made a bad call do you? You see how dumb that position is??? It doesn't take a genius to recognize Spo's short comings nor does it take being a NBA coach. And if your position is that if a person has achieved a higher position in life their opinions and experience should trump that of lesser guys, why is Spo the coach of the Heat? Hell McAdoo and Keith Askins both played in the League and coached longer than Spo, but Riley gifted him the job!!! So please kill that Spo is a NBA coach so he knows more crap. It's the lamest argument ever...

And as far as normal ebb and flows... There is nothing NORMAL about this team! We shouldn't be experiencing anything NORMAL. I'm not sure why you're ok with normal things happening with this team, but it's not ok. Since everybody is hardworking and competent in your opinion, we should be over-achieving as a team. Right?

You're not coaching in the NBA. No offense, but you probably don't know more than an NBA coach. Is that wrong to say? I teach, but I don't teach in a university. I probably don't know more than a college professor. I'm not about to start questioning Math theory because I take a fancy to the subject and consider myself really good at it. At some point, you need to yield to the experts, no?

As for referees, you can check my post history. I'll complain about a bad call here or there, but I'll never blame a loss on refs, and I regularly point out that officiating almost always evens out over the course of a game and a season. I mean, that's simple observation.

Professional sports represent the closest thing to a meritocracy. You get work for being good, simple as that. People just care about winning. Now, the only questionable area is in coaching. However, the typical issue has been discrimination against minorities, like Spo. To get a head coaching job as a minority, you usually have to be very good at your job. Spo came from never coaching to being the head coach. Appointed by one of the greatest head coaches in the history of the game. He worked his way up from a mere video coordinator, so let's not pretend he was silver spooned this job. That's what's most galling. People who complain about him ignore that he not only had to work to earn his status in the organization, but he also had to turn a franchise worst team back into a playoff team in one season. Riley had the perfect chance to dump him when the Big3 came on, and he didn't. Spo's gotten the vote of confidence of all the players, yet I'm supposed to listen to internet coaches who think they know better?

Every coach has their flaws. Even the great Phil Jackson. The good usually outweighs the bad, and that's the case with Spo. The complaints are complete and utter nonsense.

Championship mettle? We won one title dude! This ain't a dynasty situation Spo's sitting on right now! Kill that fake confidence stuff. It's not warranted. If this team loses the championship this year we would've wasted 2 championships on a dude who wasn't ready to put together a championship run. You do realize that don't you? And we only have one more guaranteed year with LeBron. So pray and dream again that LeBron goes beast mode and we get another Championship this summer.

I hope you don't think Spo is a better coach than Mike Woodson either! Because Woodson has already whooped Spo's butt when he was in Atlanta. I bet you forgot about that huh? You think Spo did something with this Dream Team by beating NY last year don't ya? Even after they lost two major players too huh??? LOL dude you... Never mind... :bowdown:

You're wrong. I have stronger feelings than that, rest assured, but just know you're completely wrong.

Signature bet that you're completely and utterly wrong. We'll win the championship without any changes to the roster needed. If we get into the playoffs with what we have right this moment, we will win the championship, and pretty handily. Put up or just STFU. This is the Miami Heat forum. You may not have confidence in the team, but you should expect that loser talk to be refuted repeatedly. This is the best team in the league, and these are our best days as Heat fans. Open your eyes. PEACE.
Mutnt
Veteran
And1: 726

Post#31 » by Mutnt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Your flawed, quick to assume, disrespectful to other teams, over-confidence is single-handily making me wish we don't win the championship this year just so it would shut your ass up, hopefully permanently, while also opening your eyes that this team isn't unbeatable and it's not because of lack of talent either...

But alas, I still know you'll built an excuse that doesn't involve SPOradic's coaching, which is kind of contradictory to your ''We have the best team'' statements. One would think we'd be blowing teams out of the gym in the RS and PS with the best team and the best coach, but surprisingly this isn't the case...

In any case, you'll flip some ''we were unlucky'' (in a 7-game series) bull if we don't pull it off, so it won't be worth us costing a championship...

It would also be funny if Spo was fired for his failures and replaced by the Heat's janitor who would proceed to lead this team to a 65+ win season and a title off the bat. Either that or some bad coach you were hating on in the past and (after he came here and won) suddenly jump on his jockstrap claiming you were wrong in the past and you've been illuminated by the championship that made you aware oh his sudden coaching prowess.

Eh.
Pimpwerx
Banned User

Post#32 » by Pimpwerx » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:38 pm

^That's straight up loser talk. Disrespectful to other teams? Overconfidence? Hey...do you like the same team, I do, because that sounds pretty dumb. You want us to lose so I can shut up? SMH. That sounds like superfan, amirite?

Anyway, read what I said after we lost in 2010. I'm sure you think that's on Spo for not playing JJ or something equally idiotic. **** bench and Bron had a bad series. Even then, we had a chance to win it. Only thing on Spo would be our offense's inability to score on the Dallas zone, but that's partly due to our terrible role player play and the fact that that Mavs zone confused lots of teams that year. Boohoo, we lost a championship. You're just so desperate to see Spo replaced, so you'll constantly see the bad in whatever we do. Every loss says something about Spo and this team. Every win? Pure talent.

You know what? When Spo isn't fired, and isn't replaced by someone else, you'll still be there stewing at this terrible coach of ours leading us to a dynasty. Oh, the horror...I know. There's so much to be upset about as a Heat fan these days. Whoa is me.

Pfft. Get on the bus, or get left behind. This team is winning it all again. If other teams feel disrespected, too bad. Fredd Mercury had it right. "No time for losers, 'cause we are the champions...of the world." PEACE.
Mutnt
Veteran

Post#33 » by Mutnt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Pimpwerx wrote:^That's straight up loser talk. Disrespectful to other teams? Overconfidence? Hey...do you like the same team, I do, because that sounds pretty dumb. You want us to lose so I can shut up? SMH. That sounds like superfan, amirite?

Anyway, read what I said after we lost in 2010. I'm sure you think that's on Spo for not playing JJ or something equally idiotic. **** bench and Bron had a bad series. Even then, we had a chance to win it. Only thing on Spo would be our offense's inability to score on the Dallas zone, but that's partly due to our terrible role player play and the fact that that Mavs zone confused lots of teams that year. Boohoo, we lost a championship. You're just so desperate to see Spo replaced, so you'll constantly see the bad in whatever we do. Every loss says something about Spo and this team. Every win? Pure talent.

You know what? When Spo isn't fired, and isn't replaced by someone else, you'll still be there stewing at this terrible coach of ours leading us to a dynasty. Oh, the horror...I know. There's so much to be upset about as a Heat fan these days. Whoa is me.

Pfft. Get on the bus, or get left behind. This team is winning it all again. If other teams feel disrespected, too bad. Fredd Mercury had it right. "No time for losers, 'cause we are the champions...of the world." PEACE.

You do realize this conversation is running in circles don't you?

No, I'd like us to win and you to shut up :D but I'm aware that's not going to happen regardless of how we win, so I wonder what your stance will be if we do lose. Somehow I already know that you won't question future HOF coach Spoelstra and his decisions. If we win the championship you'll just rave about how Spo is god-like and we should be kissing his shoes because of how he out-coached his opposition. Even if LeBron and Wade/Bosh completely took over games (like last time against the Lakers) you'll still find a way to credit that to Spo rather than how unbelievable talented those two players are.

I think many posters here have already chewed up Spo for his flaws against Dallas ad nauseam, so I'm not going to dwell on that again. Obviously, I wouldn't swing you belief one degree either way so what's the point?

For the record (remember this already will you), I'm not blaming every loss on Spo and every win on non-Spo... Also, I'm not saying Spo can't coach a lick and he did only bad with this team and needed Wade and LeBron to bail him out every single night. What you need to understand about Spo is that he's got a system implemented. This is fine by me, as every coach in the NBA does and I won't argue too much about the system Spo's got going. But what bothers me is that he sticks with his system without much (or with very slow) adjusting. As you may or may not know, the system works differently against different teams. That's why we haven't had much trouble winning against OKC, because they didn't know how to deal with the system we ran, so kudos to Spo. Different story however against the Celtics and a year ago with Dallas. What I hold Spo at fault is that he refuses to make certain adjustments to his system when we are clearly getting exposed by other teams, but rather commits to it and hopes our stars will carry the offense (which is a leverage most coaches don't have btw) and our shooters will somehow magically caught fire. I have the same problem on the defensive end. Our scheme there is to trap hard on the perimeter and rotate fast etc. which is fine when teams don't have great ball movement or 3pt. shooting. But when the opposing team is a great 3-point shooting team and has good ball movement we get crushed because we don't adjust properly to where their strengths lie on offense but rather stick to what we always do. That's why we lose to a lot of good shooting teams. Spo needs to recognize which are these teams and change the defensive approach. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't but often times, it takes him a while to do so...

I expected titles to fly our way effortlessly (who didn't) when the Big Three came together, but got a big fat one up my arse the very first year in the Finals and almost last year against the Celtics too. I also expected much better play from our team over the course of these 2 & half years, but that's a whole different story... Now I don't take anything for granted and that's despite of how many actual elite teams are out there to challenge us (OKC, SA, LAC?)... I know one key injury or bad series by LeBron or Wade is all it takes for this team to get totally annihilated...
TheDon008
Banned User

Post#34 » by TheDon008 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:29 pm

Mutnt

Bro, stop.

Im convinced you're actually a fan of another team and you're in here trolling you azz off.
Kill that noise.

The jig is up.
Mutnt
Veteran

Post#35 » by Mutnt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:30 pm

TheDon008 wrote:Mutnt

Bro, stop.

Im convinced you're actually a fan of another team and you're in here trolling you azz off.
Kill that noise.

The jig is up.

Cool, bro...

I actually don't care if you and pimp label me as a false/bandwagon/newbie/wizards fan :D and i don't really see how it matters in the frame of this topic but oh well. I just brought up that it would be curious to see how pimp would react in regard to Spo if we failed to win a championship that he is so convincingly sure we're gonna win.
Anyway, no need to get your Heat-fabricated ballsack all up in your mouth because of what I said son. Relax, Spo got dis under control. He GOAT. Hey, you seen any good Spo documentaries lately? I'm really curious to see how he went from video coordinator to expert coach in such a short notice. Probably born with coaching in his blood. Too bad that we might never see his true coaching potential, I mean think about it... this guy coaching the Bobcats, AWH LAWD...
GreenHat
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by GreenHat » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:32 am

ReturnofMVP3 wrote:I like that he focuses on D, makes me happy. His offense is just piss poor, thank god our core is gifted offensive players already. He is mediocre at best.

If he focuses on D then thats a problem. We have an average defense this year with a lot of defensive talent.
Your emotions fuel the narratives that you create. You see what you want to see. You believe what you want to believe. You ascribe meaning when it is not there. You create significance when it is not present.
GreenHat
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by GreenHat » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:43 am

Pimpwerx wrote:
Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:Personally I would want Spo to call some quick hitters to get some easy baskets. I already stated that Bosh has been struggling, not just in last nights game, but last two or three games! And what's a better way to get a shooter going other than getting him a LAYUP or FREETHROWS???

We did that a lot more in 2010, but with mixed success. Bosh can get to the rim against some guys easier than others. He's open for jumpshots early, primarily because his man often plays off him early. Getting his jumpshot going early opens the lane for him and others, and he's used that to attack the rim or pumpfake to draw fouls. Considering we need him more for shooting and pnr on offense, it's not that important to get him easy looks close in. We're trying to drag the bigs out of the paint, not draw more doubles in. Bosh is also our best midrange shooter, so with him getting layups, the onus is on others to hit jumpshots to space the floor. That doesn't seem like the right course of action to start things off.

You're not coaching in the NBA. No offense, but you probably don't know more than an NBA coach. Is that wrong to say? I teach, but I don't teach in a university. I probably don't know more than a college professor. I'm not about to start questioning Math theory because I take a fancy to the subject and consider myself really good at it. At some point, you need to yield to the experts, no?

As for referees, you can check my post history. I'll complain about a bad call here or there, but I'll never blame a loss on refs, and I regularly point out that officiating almost always evens out over the course of a game and a season. I mean, that's simple observation.

Professional sports represent the closest thing to a meritocracy. You get work for being good, simple as that. People just care about winning. Now, the only questionable area is in coaching. However, the typical issue has been discrimination against minorities, like Spo. To get a head coaching job as a minority, you usually have to be very good at your job. Spo came from never coaching to being the head coach. Appointed by one of the greatest head coaches in the history of the game. He worked his way up from a mere video coordinator, so let's not pretend he was silver spooned this job. That's what's most galling. People who complain about him ignore that he not only had to work to earn his status in the organization, but he also had to turn a franchise worst team back into a playoff team in one season. Riley had the perfect chance to dump him when the Big3 came on, and he didn't. Spo's gotten the vote of confidence of all the players, yet I'm supposed to listen to internet coaches who think they know better?

Every coach has their flaws. Even the great Phil Jackson. The good usually outweighs the bad, and that's the case with Spo. The complaints are complete and utter nonsense.

You're wrong. I have stronger feelings than that, rest assured, but just know you're completely wrong.

Signature bet that you're completely and utterly wrong. We'll win the championship without any changes to the roster needed. If we get into the playoffs with what we have right this moment, we will win the championship, and pretty handily. Put up or just STFU. This is the Miami Heat forum. You may not have confidence in the team, but you should expect that loser talk to be refuted repeatedly. This is the best team in the league, and these are our best days as Heat fans. Open your eyes. PEACE.

Actually coaching in the NBA isn't a meritocracy. Spo got a job in the league only because his dad was involved with the league. This kind of nepotism is common and has little to do with merit. He did well as a video coordinator and again no matter how many times you say it I don't think Spo is a horrible coach. You have been harder on him than I have.

Next he got his coaching job because Riley hires from within. That goes against a meritocracy as well. There is no way Spo was the most qualified coach.

Then he got his extension because of incumbency and he came for cheap. This again flies in the face of a meritocracy. If this was a real meritocracy we would have Phil Jackson. We can't have that because Riley likes Spo and doesn't like Phil. Again completely against a meritocracy.

You say that the players have given Spo a vote of confidence. The players have also openly ignored his instructions and called out his strategy and rotations. Am I supposed to trust the opinion of an internet coach-hater-turned worshiper (after they win a title of course, playing the result as usual) over the players who play for him?

Your last paragraphs bring up an interesting point. We ARE the best team in the league but how come over the last 2.5 seasons we have spent such a small percentage of the time playing like it? Right now we clearly are not the best team in the league if you are objective about it.

You can keep saying we are coasting but Spo says we're not.

"I'll take the word of Spo over the word of some internet coach any day"
Big Dee Chi-Born
Sixth Man
And1: 79

Post#38 » by Big Dee Chi-Born » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:11 pm

Pimpwerx wrote:We did that a lot more in 2010, but with mixed success. Bosh can get to the rim against some guys easier than others. He's open for jumpshots early, primarily because his man often plays off him early. Getting his jumpshot going early opens the lane for him and others, and he's used that to attack the rim or pumpfake to draw fouls. Considering we need him more for shooting and pnr on offense, it's not that important to get him easy looks close in. We're trying to drag the bigs out of the paint, not draw more doubles in. Bosh is also our best midrange shooter, so with him getting layups, the onus is on others to hit jumpshots to space the floor. That doesn't seem like the right course of action to start things off.

Being that you said you were a teacher, I firmly believe you read and understood exactly what it was I wrote. You decided to change that to come up with some bs excuse so I'm not even about to touch that.

Pimpwerx wrote:You're not coaching in the NBA. No offense, but you probably don't know more than an NBA coach. Is that wrong to say? I teach, but I don't teach in a university. I probably don't know more than a college professor. I'm not about to start questioning Math theory because I take a fancy to the subject and consider myself really good at it. At some point, you need to yield to the experts, no?

If I considered Spo an expert I would yield to him, but he's not. He's a professional, but experts don't go to football coaches to improve their horrible strategy. Nothing about that screams expert. I consider Coach K an expert, Bobby Knight, John Thompson, Phil Jackson, Pop etc. Those guys are experts. Spo was lucky enough to have a father who worked for the Portland Trailblazers who was able to get him a job in the NBA. Which, by the way is how most people get their jobs. They get referred, have and inside track, favors are called in! You remember our former President Bush right? You think he was smart enough to go the places he's been in life? Just look at how his businesses have done under his control, then look at our country under his control. Now I'll give Spo credit for making the most out of his opportunity. But please save the meritocracy act.

And please stop the "Spo took over the worst team ever" argument too. WE TANKED!!! You know it and I know it. We weren't what our record said we were. Period.

I'm not even about to breakdown that fake players vote of confidence stuff either. Just not worth my time

Pimpwerx wrote:You're wrong. I have stronger feelings than that, rest assured, but just know you're completely wrong.

Ummm... I think I've said several times that we have the best team in the League. I think I've said that Spo has been given a great team. If we get into the Playoffs??? LOL Sign bets??? LOL Where the hell is this extremist posturing coming from??? You think that's going to make you & Spo look bettter if LeBron goes beast mode again this year too? If we win the title again this year it'll be because LeBron goes crazy. Period. If we have to rely on Spo's coaching to get us by we're dead!!!! Believe that! Loser talk is what you did... Nah I won't go there. That's too easy... 8-)
Pimpwerx
Banned User

Post#39 » by Pimpwerx » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:40 pm

As pointed out, this argument just goes 'round in circles.

You, who do not like Spo, think you know more than him and Riley. Good for you. You're just plain wrong.

If Spo was a problem, he'd never have stayed long enough to inherit the best roster in franchise history. There were "better" options available, amirite? Logic has no place in this discussion, just the usual knee-jerk armchair experts, like there are in every sport. How much credence do you ever pay to these people? Yeah...that's about as much as I've paid to you guys.

Anyone else with common sense that's reading this thread now, please go ahead and bookmark this thread. Bookmark this specific post, please. I'm going to resurrect this thread, when we repeat and lmao as what will then look like more boneheaded loser talk by people who apparently slept through the previous two seasons, and completely ignored the 2 before that. I'd bet dollars to donuts Spo is coach of this team long after this trio of haters have quit the fanbase in frustration.

In Riley we trust. Lord help us when the day comes that we have to say in Mutnt, Greenhat and Big Dee CHI-Born we trust. You don't have to go on about loser talk, Big Dee. I can wax on for pages about a Chicago-born Heat fan alone. :lol: Don't get mad because I call loser talk what it is, loser talk. There is nothing this team can do to prove to you guys that we belong. So...this just becomes loser talk. We are the champions, and the constant stream of negativity is in the minority on this particular forum. I don't feel out of place supporting my team like this. It's probably telling that you do. PEACE.
TheDon008
Banned User

Post#40 » by TheDon008 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Pimpwerx

+1

Return to Miami Heat