ImageImageImage

Is it time to go back to traditional HEAT BASKETBALL?

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Should we change our schemes and go old school with Center and size full time?

1) No, Smallball can still be effective, we won with it before, no need to change.
11%
2) Partly yes, but only for a few minutes here and there, Oden and Bird are enough, no need to add Bynum or any other big
31%
3) Yes, it's time for an all around change in our game plan, we need to go back to old-school Heat basketball
58%

Total votes: 45

Lord Hades
RealGM
And1: 7,281

Re: Is it time to go back to traditional HEAT BASKETBALL? 

Post#61 » by Lord Hades » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:55 am

I'd like to see a more traditional approach incorporated to switch things up from time to time, on both sides of the ball. Smallball/Space and Pace has its advantages (obviously), but also its drawbacks. I'd like to see us press things as an advantage, rather than through necessity. If Oden can give us 15 minutes, maybe we can bridge into another style and become more diverse in approach.
WD wrote:Broken record as I've used this example over and over...Remember Mashburn, we got him for his offensive ability, but he didn't fit, forced to play our defense, passed up open shot against the knicks to clarance(was at that game)we traded him and he kicked our azz in the playoffs the next year...same player, WHAT CHANGED?

it is what it is

Ugh. Jesus, don't mention this. :noway:
"We've proven that we can do it and we'll do it again."
Slot Machine
Head Coach
And1: 4,558

Post#62 » by Slot Machine » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:12 am

MisterHibachi wrote:
Slot Machine wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:Thabo's fallen off a cliff this year. No thanks.

Yikes, you're right. How's his defense?

Horrible. KD is actually the better defender of the two now.

Bizarre. He's not even old.
The Bunk wrote:God I hate this fraudulent clown.

I've never wanted to punch someone in the face so badly. Really hoping to run into him at a game one day. I won't hesitate.
WD
RealGM
And1: 3,228

Post#63 » by WD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:03 am

Lord Hades wrote:I'd like to see a more traditional approach incorporated to switch things up from time to time, on both sides of the ball. Smallball/Space and Pace has its advantages (obviously), but also its drawbacks. I'd like to see us press things as an advantage, rather than through necessity. If Oden can give us 15 minutes, maybe we can bridge into another style and become more diverse in approach.
WD wrote:Broken record as I've used this example over and over...Remember Mashburn, we got him for his offensive ability, but he didn't fit, forced to play our defense, passed up open shot against the knicks to clarance(was at that game)we traded him and he kicked our azz in the playoffs the next year...same player, WHAT CHANGED?

it is what it is

Ugh. Jesus, don't mention this. :noway:

The funniest thing about that night was, that long ride home on the metro-rail, everybody was b@tching about how sorry Mashburn was, how we made a mistake signing him, over and over. And this one elderly man, yelled, "don't blame Mashburn, he did what he was trained to do on this team, he was conditioned to pass" - sounds familiar?..
#HEATLifer
aquaadverse
Banned User
And1: 154

Post#64 » by aquaadverse » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:25 pm

nbhadja wrote:
aquaadverse wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:
There are many teams interested in Bynum. He was just recently waived. It's not like he has been out for 6 months.

Also Bynum can defend against Hibbert 1000 times better than anyone on our roster currently can aside from Oden, who can only play limited minutes and is a high injury risk and that is all I care about.

We have a much better shot to beat Indy with Bynum then without Bynum. Bynum routinely will out rebound and outscore Hibbert when they go against each other....unlike our current players who make Hibbert look like Prime Shaq when he plays us. Small ball is trash and it will get us eliminated this season and almost got us eliminated the last 2 years.

If there were "many teams" interested in Bynum" you'd be reading about workouts, visits etc... Truth is Bynum wants more than a minimum deal and a decent number of minutes and no one is willing to give him that. The Cavs tried to trade him for weeks and finally moved him to the Bulls in a salary dump transaction for Deng after they tried, and failed, to extend Deng. If he was the guy who could "routinely out rebound and outscore Hibbert" that scenario wouldn't have happened. He scored 8 points and had 11 rebounds total in 2 games playing 41 minutes against our weak interior this year. How Hibbert-like. Yeah, that was early in the season after he missed a year, but people need to stop exaggerating his skill set post surgery. He was never a particularly gifted defender when he was healthy and his main role was always on the offensive end as a low post scorer, something he never really showed he could consistently do this season. He could end up playing a role for Miami, but he isn't some savior.
theFRANCHISE
Sixth Man
And1: 354

Post#65 » by theFRANCHISE » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:48 pm

I think that rebounding stat is over analyzed. They're #1 in field goal percentage (50%). There's not much room for rebounds when you're making your shots!
"You could call it with braille!" - Chick Hearn
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,433

Post#66 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:05 pm

theFRANCHISE wrote:I think that rebounding stat is over analyzed. They're #1 in field goal percentage (50%). There's not much room for rebounds when you're making your shots!

Not only are we the worse offensive rebounding team in the league by a wide margin, we're also below average defensive rebounding team, #18 out of 30 teams.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
heatlespeatles
Head Coach
And1: 2,611

Post#67 » by heatlespeatles » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:46 pm

aquaadverse wrote:
nbhadja wrote:
aquaadverse wrote:

If there were "many teams" interested in Bynum" you'd be reading about workouts, visits etc... Truth is Bynum wants more than a minimum deal and a decent number of minutes and no one is willing to give him that. The Cavs tried to trade him for weeks and finally moved him to the Bulls in a salary dump transaction for Deng after they tried, and failed, to extend Deng. If he was the guy who could "routinely out rebound and outscore Hibbert" that scenario wouldn't have happened. He scored 8 points and had 11 rebounds total in 2 games playing 41 minutes against our weak interior this year. How Hibbert-like. Yeah, that was early in the season after he missed a year, but people need to stop exaggerating his skill set post surgery. He was never a particularly gifted defender when he was healthy and his main role was always on the offensive end as a low post scorer, something he never really showed he could consistently do this season. He could end up playing a role for Miami, but he isn't some savior.

You keep saying this savior **** like someone called him a **** savior, no one did. Thats your words.
narmerguy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,052

Post#68 » by narmerguy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:46 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
theFRANCHISE wrote:I think that rebounding stat is over analyzed. They're #1 in field goal percentage (50%). There's not much room for rebounds when you're making your shots!

Not only are we the worse offensive rebounding team in the league by a wide margin, we're also below average defensive rebounding team, #18 out of 30 teams.

Truth. There's no sugar-coating this. We just suck at rebounding.
theFRANCHISE
Sixth Man
And1: 354

Post#69 » by theFRANCHISE » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:48 am

when's the last time a team that lead the league in rebounding win the NBA title?
"You could call it with braille!" - Chick Hearn
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#70 » by RexBoyWonder » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:16 am

I changed my vote from 2 to 3. I just can't remember the last time the headless chicken scheme actually gave us an advantage instead of hurting us. Get more size on the floor, change the defense. I rather go out playing strong and not scoring then looking like on of Don Nelson's GSW teams.
Tjjrex
Rookie
And1: 215

Post#71 » by Tjjrex » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:20 am

I wonder what happened to the line-ups without a pg, I always thought those lineups were godly, hope we're saving it for crucial situations.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using RealGM Forums mobile app
TRG
Head Coach
And1: 866

Post#72 » by TRG » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:20 am

Would it really hurt this team to play straight up man to man defense for some stretches? Getting sick of watching this team leave opposing team's shooters wide open thanks to our consistently predictable help defense.

Teams have figured it out and we aren't adapting.
Banned User
And1: 536

Post#73 » by 420 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:28 am

If I could turn back time...

RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#74 » by RexBoyWonder » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:28 am

TRG wrote:Would it really hurt this team to play straight up man to man defense for some stretches? Getting sick of watching this team leave opposing team's shooters wide open thanks to our consistently predictable help defense.

honestly I wanted us to shift to bigger lineups before the season even started. Smallball ran it's course, it was clear to me that we'll struggle to make it effective again.

Get the biggest defender we can add and put in the paint ( Bynum or whoever, don't care) with Oden and Bird, tell everyone else to stick to their man, stop overhelping us to death, stop giving up open 3's, just play hard man defense without gimmicks.
aboogie
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#75 » by aboogie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:52 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:
TRG wrote:Would it really hurt this team to play straight up man to man defense for some stretches? Getting sick of watching this team leave opposing team's shooters wide open thanks to our consistently predictable help defense.

problem is everybody sucks playing man 2 man d exception of cole,bosh,bron(when he feels like trying) and sometimes wade.. Everybody else is just not capable

honestly I wanted us to shift to bigger lineups before the season even started. Smallball ran it's course, it was clear to me that we'll struggle to make it effective again.

Get the biggest defender we can add and put in the paint ( Bynum or whoever, don't care) with Oden and Bird, tell everyone else to stick to their man, stop overhelping us to death, stop giving up open 3's, just play hard man defense without gimmicks.
nbhadja
Sixth Man
And1: 1,148

Post#76 » by nbhadja » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:50 am

aquaadverse wrote:
nbhadja wrote:
aquaadverse wrote:

Bynum wants more than min, but he will have to settle for min or near min which we can give him. But the point is that many teams are interested in Bynum. Heck Indy has interest in him probably just to keep Miami from getting Bynum.

Just look at the career results of Bynum vs Hibbert.....Bynum simple out rebounds and out scores Hibbert while Bosh makes Hibbert look like prime Shaq. Who cares what Bynum did against our defense? Bynum will do a much better job on Hibbert than any player on our roster can do aside from Oden like I mentioned has injury problems and can only play limited mins. Also even against scrub centers with size Hibbert struggles. If we can get Bynum there is no reason not to sign him.

How hibbert like? You realize that Hibbert looks average against most other teams aside from Miami where he looks like God because our pathetic center rotation right?

I wish we would trade for any decent sized center like Dalembert.

Roy Hibbert head to head results vs Samuel Dalembert.

Hibbert: 10 ppg 6 rpg 46% fg
Dalembert: 9 ppg 11 rpg 45% fg

Dalembert actually outplays Hibbert in head to head matchups. We need size badly otherwise Hibbert will look like prime Shaq against us again.

Okafor vs Hibbert head to head:

Okafor 11 ppg 11 rpg 46% fg
Hibbert 11 ppg 6 rpg 46% fg
Aussie Heat Fan
Senior
And1: 545

Post#77 » by Aussie Heat Fan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:29 am

Hibbert also looks like prime Dirk with his mid range game against us.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#78 » by RexBoyWonder » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:25 pm

Why are you so focused on Hibbert? Indy isn't the only team we need to beat.

We can't defend even small teams now days, like the Hawks without their best player.

We need to become a better defensive team to win basketball games, **** Hibbert. If we meet the Spurs or OKC in the finals with our current personal and current defense we'll allow them 130 points a game.
heater4life
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,758

Post#79 » by heater4life » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:44 pm

The reality is we all know the Heat aren't playing to their capability. That's a fact, there so much more talented than what there putting on the floor. Indy is playing REALLY well right now. They look scary good. But there playing teams really hard right now.

Will Indy have enough legs under them come June? Will Miami find their defensive identity come playoff time?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RealGM Forums mobile app
THEASSOCIATION
Pro Prospect
And1: 364

Post#80 » by THEASSOCIATION » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Justin Hamilton, Bynum, Ivan Johnson, or trade pick one. I see multiple teams pick up bigs from overseas or damn near off the streets and contribute but the Heat continue to stick with their corpses option because of their superior sense of "loyalty".

Return to Miami Heat