ImageImageImage

Coach SPO thread.

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,807

Re: Coach SPO thread. 

Post#381 » by KingDavid » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:41 pm

ndnow wrote:
KingDavid wrote:
ndnow wrote:
It's pathetic, I still haven't read one single coaching reason on why people think he's bad in this thread. It's all just a mash of blind uneducated hating, I don't get it.

Uhhh, I'm not on the firespo-wagon but there's been statements regarding confusion from several players. I think five players on record. Spo is on record saying the offense is "give it to Dwyane and get the hell out of the way". There's bad habits that haven't been broken that carried on from the previous season, and we're the worst second half team in the nba by a LARGE margin.

If you don't agree with getting him fired for whatever your reasons are, fine. But don't parade around baiting for angry responses after this team with this much talent missed the playoffs in the weakest conference in a while, by a hair. If we won those games where we blew double digit leads in the second half, we would be in sixth place right now. Maybe even fifth.

In my opinion, it's too easy to blame the coach, yet, it's too easy to throw the injury excuse (which led to 30 different starting lineups) his way. So I don't care about that. We need better and new assistant coaches though. And get rid of Mario Chalmers and replace him with a great quality combo guard.

Give me ONE coaching reason why you think he is bad, please. Humor me.

Did you read anything you quoted? I never said he was a bad coach. I am not on the firespo bandwagon. I highly doubt his plan after we got the best pick and pop guard in Dragic, was to have his max contract player who happens to be the best pick and pop big, get knocked out for the year. In spite of all the confusion and such, i'd give him the benefit of the doubt. I wholeheartedly think our offense was going to shift to Dragic & Bosh as the go-to attack with spurts of Wade and Whiteside complimenting and with tons of cutting by everyone else. The spacing by Bosh and Dragic alone was going to hurt teams badly with Wade and Whiteside in single coverage against their respective defenders in prime post position. Just chaos to defend overall. You wouldn't be able to double team anyone.

He couldn't adjust as well as what would have been ideal but he's proven to make things happen when he has talent. But he needs better guidance pushed among his players because these assistant coaches are not getting through to them, hence the bad habits. But fired? After an injury riddled season with d-leaguers and scrubs and 30 different lineups? After four straight finals? No. Not in my opinion anyway.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
Bourne85
General Manager
And1: 9,055

Post#382 » by Bourne85 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:41 pm

ndnow wrote:
RonySeikalyFTW wrote:Spo apologists baffle me. What is it about this guy that you love so much? The Spo haters can list of reason after reason for wanting him gone, but I've yet to hear why the Spo apologists believe we should hang on to this guy.

List me a coaching reason please.

You keep saying "list one reason" well buddy here's a laundry list for u to look over in shame:

-No offensive sets, my highschool coach had a better offensive gameplan than spo.

-Not giving the ball to Whiteside. Our most EFFICIENT scorer. The dude literally has to grab all our bricks and put them back in for us for him to touch the ball.

-Continously trying to Post up Deng instead. Deng has been abysmally bad in the post. More often than not its a turnover or a settle for 20foot jumpshot. Doesn't stop spo from attempting to post him up 10plus times a game.

-Relegating Beasley to the perimeter to stand in the corner when stats show, and we have all seen just how much more effective he is around the post.

-Letting Rio run the point when him and Dragic are on the court together. Just no reason AT ALLLLLLLL for this to happen. Dragic wanted out of Phoenix for that very reason. Then spo turns around an says no Dragic the ball will be in Rios hand, or Wades, or Tyler's. Go stand in the corner.

- Turd Quarter, and now 4th quarters as well. So just no adjustments or anything done for entire second halfs of games. That is all coaching. By the way DEAD LAST in scoring second halfs of games. Worse than all the big time tankers. Takes some real talent to accomplish that! To actually be worse than teams intentionally trying to lose lol.

-Jim Carrey coached circles around spo in the finals. A simple zone that spo WOULDNT adjust to.

-If not for a miracle shot by Allen we would have 1 title to show for a team with Bosh Wade and LBJ on the same team. I mean come on how much better of a team does he need to not look like total ass?

-Continuing this small ball nonsense that has been figured out and dissected to a point that a team with LBj Wade an bosh got MURDERED by HISTORIC margins in the Finals. Again, no adjustments. That's all on coaching.

I can go on but that should be enough for you to log off and shamefully not even respond. There is no rebuttal, there is no other side to the story. This Vide analyst cost us 2 titles and damn near almost cost us 3. He cost us a dynasty.

Face it. Wade made spo. Then LBJ came in an took spo to the finals every year. Spo is mike brown. Supposed to be this defensive minded coach and once again DEAD last in defense, rebounding etc. So what good is he then? Cuz we give up 3 point shots like they were layups. Can't rebound, give up the most points in the paint. I mean seriously what good is he?

Look at the Hawks team an tell me they are more talented than us. Look at Kerr with golden state in the WEST win 67 gamessssss. We barely got 60 in the EAST WITH 4-5 hall of famersssss ahhhhhhhh just thinking about all this makes me want to throw my phone into the ocean!
ndnow
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#383 » by ndnow » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:51 pm

Bourne85 wrote:
ndnow wrote:
RonySeikalyFTW wrote:Spo apologists baffle me. What is it about this guy that you love so much? The Spo haters can list of reason after reason for wanting him gone, but I've yet to hear why the Spo apologists believe we should hang on to this guy.

List me a coaching reason please.

You keep saying "list one reason" well buddy here's a laundry list for u to look over in shame:

-No offensive sets, my highschool coach had a better offensive gameplan than spo.
(This sums up this thread very nicely.)

-Not giving the ball to Whiteside. Our most EFFICIENT scorer. The dude literally has to grab all our bricks and put them back in for us for him to touch the ball.

-Continously trying to Post up Deng instead. Deng has been abysmally bad in the post. More often than not its a turnover or a settle for 20foot jumpshot. Doesn't stop spo from attempting to post him up 10plus times a game.
(This is legitimate)

-Relegating Beasley to the perimeter to stand in the corner when stats show, and we have all seen just how much more effective he is around the post.
(This isn't true, Beasley was a waste of space most of the time)

-Letting Rio run the point when him and Dragic are on the court together. Just no reason AT ALLLLLLLL for this to happen. Dragic wanted out of Phoenix for that very reason. Then spo turns around an says no Dragic the ball will be in Rios hand, or Wades, or Tyler's. Go stand in the corner.
(I agree, Dragic wasn't given the ball to run the offense enough. We don't know whether or not however that is due to not knowing the system as he came half way through the season in all)

- Turd Quarter, and now 4th quarters as well. So just no adjustments or anything done for entire second halfs of games. That is all coaching. By the way DEAD LAST in scoring second halfs of games. Worse than all the big time tankers. Takes some real talent to accomplish that! To actually be worse than teams intentionally trying to lose lol.
(We were bad in the second half this is true, I don't agree with you on not making adjustments as he clearly did, whether they worked or not is pretty obvious)

-Jim Carrey coached circles around spo in the finals. A simple zone that spo WOULDNT adjust to.
(This is completely untrue)

-If not for a miracle shot by Allen we would have 1 title to show for a team with Bosh Wade and LBJ on the same team. I mean come on how much better of a team does he need to not look like total ass?
(that's true, it was a miracle shot that one us that one, we were playing the spurs and Wade's knee's were broken)

-Continuing this small ball nonsense that has been figured out and dissected to a point that a team with LBj Wade an bosh got MURDERED by HISTORIC margins in the Finals. Again, no adjustments. That's all on coaching.
(We didn't exactly have a choice those years with no center)

I can go on but that should be enough for you to log off and shamefully not even respond. There is no rebuttal, there is no other side to the story. This Vide analyst cost us 2 titles and damn near almost cost us 3. He cost us a dynasty.
(Yes keep spewing your nonsense and hate on the boards)

Face it. Wade made spo. Then LBJ came in an took spo to the finals every year. Spo is mike brown. Supposed to be this defensive minded coach and once again DEAD last in defense, rebounding etc. So what good is he then? Cuz we give up 3 point shots like they were layups. Can't rebound, give up the most points in the paint. I mean seriously what good is he?

Look at the Hawks team an tell me they are more talented than us. Look at Kerr with golden state in the WEST win 67 gamessssss. We barely got 60 in the EAST WITH 4-5 hall of famersssss ahhhhhhhh just thinking about all this makes me want to throw my phone into the ocean!

"It should be common knowledge by now he's an excellent coach," Popovich said. "He knows what wins and what loses. He's

comfortable in his own skin. He teaches well. He's going to make fair demands on whoever is available."

BleacherReport Top Coaches list 2014-15
5. Erik Spoelstra, Miami Heat

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2207 ... mp/page/24

CBS Sports Top Coaches 2014-15
4. Erik Spoelstra
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... -nba-coach

ESPN Front Office rating 2014-15
6. Miami Heat Erik Spoelstra 7.48
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12561 ... op-coaches

Have to add this.
http://ca.complex.com/sports/2015/03/cr ... om-hooters

Everyone around the league thinks he's a good coach except for a few on these boards. Continue believing what you will but you guys are alone.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,807

Post#384 » by KingDavid » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:11 pm

I think everyone is giving him tons of credit for small ball and his defensive schemes...both of which only work with the proper and perfect players though.

His system, as genius as it is, leaves no room for error or drop in talent. His defense requires high iq defenders that are also mobile in all positions plus one or two versatile defenders.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#385 » by GameTime_3 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:22 pm

ndnow wrote:
Bourne85 wrote:
BleacherReport Top Coaches list 2014-15
5. Erik Spoelstra, Miami Heat

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2207 ... mp/page/24

CBS Sports Top Coaches 2014-15
4. Erik Spoelstra
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... -nba-coach

ESPN Front Office rating 2014-15
6. Miami Heat Erik Spoelstra 7.48
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12561 ... op-coaches

Have to add this.
http://ca.complex.com/sports/2015/03/cr ... om-hooters

Everyone around the league thinks he's a good coach except for a few on these boards. Continue believing what you will but you guys are alone.

You realize w/ LeBron, Mike Brown won coach of the year(3 years later fired)? How about that guy we beat in the finals, Avery Johnson(2 years later fired) who is out of the league and is considered a pretty bad coach won it as well?How about Sam Mitchell(Fired 2 years later), he sure did great? Mike D'Antoni? Remember him with Steve Nash and a GREAT team? See how he did without the supreme talent around him?

Just like Joel Anthony, to many of you drink the cool aid because your told so. Open your eyes; Joel Anthony was a TERRIBLE player and yet, people fought for why he does the little things? How great of a defender he was and how he was a key part of our team? Well...He sucks....Spo doesn't suck as much as Joel but this is another example of the drink being drank! He isn't very good. Average(That's his record w/o LeBron and below average in playoffs) and he isn't helping right now. A great coach or a very good one, would of had us in the playoffs with this roster and this conference. Watch a game and then turn it off. Go watch another game...Then come back and tell me its the same basketball? I'm not talking about talent I'm talking about the ball movement, the sets you see and the open looks other teams have. They use there talent and build a system. We rely on the talent to make our system. But hey....Just give it a few more years and when this happens again and again, then people will start to say...Hmmm we have a problem.. But by then, you have wasted Riley's time and more than likely our greatest HEATer of all time, Wade.
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Post#386 » by DefenseWins » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Why are people being so defensive? This is a Coach Spo thread not fire Spo thread.

Why is it so hard for people to admit he has had his short coming too? He needs to learn from this but the amount of times I have heard that line... He went through everything under the microscope.

One thing is to have a down year but a team that is REBUILDING is in the playoffs and not us, just think about that. Two teams actually, with Pacers (no PG, injured roster too) or Nets about to make it as well. We are 4-0 against Brooklyn. Pacers tho for some reason we still couldnt beat more than once. We lost to them on our home floor in the beginning of the season with their 3rd stringers against us

The day we stop having bad 3rd quarters and 4th quarters, and change our identity from being the worse 2nd half team in the league then thats the day the complaints will go down

The amount of BAD losses this team had this season, just because they had no clue on offense. Could be easily at .500...
Myam333
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,909

Post#387 » by Myam333 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:48 pm

That's hilarious. This dude's response to the laundry list of **** ups is rankings from folks outside of Miami. You know, the ones that probably haven't watched damn near every game. They probably went by record. Any coach with Wade, LeBron, and Bosh will have a great record. It's hard to **** up with that. (apparently not)

If that's all yall got in response, then he needs to go. Like another poster said, there are a few coaches that got coach of the year and are terrible without hall of famers to carry them and their coaching record. Freaking Jason Kidd led a bunch of kids to the sixth seed and maybe they would have been 5th if Jabari didn't get hurt. If Spo coached the Bucks, Lord knows they'd probably be in the lottery. Yeah we had injuries, but we also had big leads on teams by halftime, so it's not a good enough excuse.
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Post#388 » by DefenseWins » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:27 pm

UDWade wrote:That's hilarious. This dude's response to the laundry list of **** ups is rankings from folks outside of Miami. You know, the ones that probably haven't watched damn near every game. They probably went by record. Any coach with Wade, LeBron, and Bosh will have a great record. It's hard to **** up with that. (apparently not)

If that's all yall got in response, then he needs to go. Like another poster said, there are a few coaches that got coach of the year and are terrible without hall of famers to carry them and their coaching record. Freaking Jason Kidd led a bunch of kids to the sixth seed and maybe they would have been 5th if Jabari didn't get hurt. If Spo coached the Bucks, Lord knows they'd probably be in the lottery. Yeah we had injuries, but we also had big leads on teams by halftime, so it's not a good enough excuse.

And Brad Stevens, a young head coach leads a bunch of bench players to the 7th. They have one of the best ASB records since the break. They did get IT but lets say thats their leading scorer. A 5'7 dude leading that team to wins lol

Boston wasn't suppose to make the playoffs, they were suppose to be a lotto team, but we are the lotto team.

Utah Jazz now have more young talent than us but have you seen what they have done since the ASB? They can win 50 games next season.

Two teams with a bunch of kids, Boston and Bucks, are going to the playoffs. While a team with Whiteside, Wade, Deng, Goran as the core can't.

Bucks were also ahead of us in the standings even when we had Bosh. They nose dived in the standings due to that MCW trade but they lost their #2 pick this season due to a tear. Two guys actually they lost to injury too.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,431

Post#389 » by RexBoyWonder » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:32 pm

All I'll say is next year with decent health, Whiteside and Dragon to start the season and a full summer to strategies, Spo better show what he got. No more excuses. He better get this team to play to it's potential.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
mckizz561
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#390 » by mckizz561 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:34 pm

I think its crazy to have a thread entirely about bashing our coach. I don't know why you all can't accept this wasn't our year. We got spoiled with 4 straight trips to the finals. We're learning how to retool, and adjust to normal NBA life - we're no longer the Miami Heavens with the Holy Trinity. This team is trying to find its niche, players for the future (and present), and what system works best - all while trying to win at the same time. Factor all that in with the injuries and it is not a recipe for success. Sometimes injuries take a toll on the team both mentally and physically, and it seemed to play a factor in the psyche of the players after the Bosh injury.

It will take time, believe in the process. I got faith in the whole Heat organization, including Spo. When we lost to the Mavericks, that man worked his ass of that whole summer and came up with a scheme that propelled us to two Finals victories. (Coach Pop eventually figured it out, but the man wouldn't be Coach Pop if he didn't figure it out). But I think Spo will apply that same mentality this offseason, and figure out a new successful scheme for our team.

Have Faith Old Sports! Cheers to a great off-season, and a long playoff run next year!

ndnow
Lead Assistant

Post#391 » by ndnow » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:04 pm

UDWade wrote:That's hilarious. This dude's response to the laundry list of **** ups is rankings from folks outside of Miami. You know, the ones that probably haven't watched damn near every game. They probably went by record. Any coach with Wade, LeBron, and Bosh will have a great record. It's hard to **** up with that. (apparently not)

Yes god forbid I quote professionals who follow and coach in the nba to refute a group of people on a message board. Is this real?
Flashpoint
Bench Warmer
And1: 168

Post#392 » by Flashpoint » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:54 pm

ndnow wrote:

Yes god forbid I quote professionals who follow and coach in the nba to refute a group of people on a message board. Is this real?

NBA coaching is a culture of patting each other on the back. That's the last place to look for an objective analysis of a colleague. Should we dig up glowing quotes about Vinny Del Negro too? 

If you want real ammunition in this incredibly undeserved battle to defend Spo, you'd be better off quoting someone outside the situation like Zach Lowe. His glowing praise of Spo is the primary reason I think he's complete bull, but there are people who respect his opinion and would take what he has to say into consideration.
ndnow
Lead Assistant

Post#393 » by ndnow » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:46 pm

Flashpoint wrote:
ndnow wrote:

NBA coaching is a culture of patting each other on the back. That's the last place to look for an objective analysis of a colleague. Should we dig up glowing quotes about Vinny Del Negro too? 

If you want real ammunition in this incredibly undeserved battle to defend Spo, you'd be better off quoting someone outside the situation like Zach Lowe. His glowing praise of Spo is the primary reason I think he's complete bull, but there are people who respect his opinion and would take what he has to say into consideration.

I don't need ammunition, I don't know of a person in or associated with the NBA that think's he's a bad coach. I don't think I've ever read any piece of media anywhere saying he's a bad coach. You guys are so convinced yet anyone with any knowledge in coaching disagree's with you guys. It's completely mind boggling.
Flashpoint
Bench Warmer
And1: 168

Post#394 » by Flashpoint » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:08 pm

ndnow wrote:I don't need ammunition, I don't know of a person in or associated with the NBA that think's he's a bad coach. I don't think I've ever read any piece of media anywhere saying he's a bad coach. You guys are so convinced yet anyone with any knowledge in coaching disagree's with you guys. It's completely mind boggling.

When was the last time you heard a coach speak negatively about another coach?
Zasterror
RealGM
And1: 10,019

Post#395 » by Zasterror » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:38 am

I think the main gripe I had with Spo this season was the fact that he coached as if we still had LeBron on the team. Evidence are the questionable Deng post-ups (like he's LeBron), little to no PG play (until Dragic, then he had to), little to no plays for Centers (until Whiteside but even then he didn't really use him as effectively as he could had), defensive philosophy/"death traps" (he moved away from it much later in the season...too late), and hero ball (which is too much to ask for Wade to do EVERY 4th quarter).

Next season, Spo has no excuses, he has to make the necessary changes that accustoms with this team's talent. Any NBA coach worth his salt can do it, Spo can do it too.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#396 » by dolphinatik » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:55 am

lol if you think this thread is about this year. There has been a fire Spo thread since the first year. Spo has nothing to offer. You really want another year to see that? I dont

page 1 of this thread is from last year.. Exact same complaints. He had a year and fixed nothing in his supposed reinvention year. Same complaints the year before and before that even though we won. So sorry if I think anything will change or another year will help. Dude is lost.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,027

Post#397 » by 3ballbomber » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:00 am

Listen to what Hubie Brown has had to say about Spo all season. I respect this gentlemen very much....he get's what's going on.

You can't judge Spo in those seasons where we did not have Bosh & Lebron - our rosters were bad in all those season - it took a Wade in beast mode to get us in the playoffs in 09......we had no business being there. Injuries plagued this recent one, acquiring players half way of a season where we never formed chemistry and then playing the rest of the way with players going through ailments.......

......Judge Spo once we have a complete team w/ Bosh back in the roster at least. But especially criticism is more justifiable once Riles bolsters our bench. I guarantee you from the next season on these Spo critics will lessen.
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
Myam333
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,909

Post#398 » by Myam333 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:27 am

Flashpoint wrote:
ndnow wrote:I don't need ammunition, I don't know of a person in or associated with the NBA that think's he's a bad coach. I don't think I've ever read any piece of media anywhere saying he's a bad coach. You guys are so convinced yet anyone with any knowledge in coaching disagree's with you guys. It's completely mind boggling.

When was the last time you heard a coach speak negatively about another coach?
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#399 » by HIF » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:19 am

Haterz gonna Hate

As Dolphinatik said he hated Spo and wanted him out when we went to finals, when we won finals. So that ain't gonna change when we don't make the playoffs.

The silent majority know Spo is a good coach, don't worry about the haterz.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,151

Post#400 » by TroubleS0me » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:01 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKnyg0E2nno[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyRdR8_EEzA[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi2tE6OksCg[/youtube]
wants to speed up the pace on offense next season

Return to Miami Heat