ImageImageImage

Does the "Big 3" breakup hurt TV rights deal?

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

contract
RealGM
And1: 20,736

Does the "Big 3" breakup hurt TV rights deal? 

Post#1 » by contract » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:00 am

Aside from the attraction of Lebron James playing on a championship contender, and Lebron and Wade playing together, the "Big 3" also provided the NBA with a villain ... or a heel in wrestling speak. The mere existence of the "Big 3" pissed off basketball fans and gave haters as much reason to tune in to watch us lose as it did for others to hop on the bandwagon.

Do you think the loss of that villain weakens the NBA's hand when it negotiates its coming TV deals? Does it make the NBA more boring?
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,736

Re: Does the "Big 3" breakup hurt TV rights deal? 

Post#2 » by contract » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:00 am

I guess I should have just asked ... can the NBA successfully market the Spurs?
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,868

Post#3 » by mopper8 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:04 am

it's certainly possible. the Big 3 set a whole bunch of records for regular season ratings and were up there with playoffs ratings too, and their popularity nationwide was climbing (one poll said they had become the most popular team in the country last March).

But there is more regular season intrigue now, the East is "wide open" as they say.
DragicTime85 wrote:[Ric Bucher] has a tiny wiener and I can prove it.
HEYMANQueHoraEs
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,608

Post#4 » by HEYMANQueHoraEs » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:42 am

mopper8 wrote:it's certainly possible. the Big 3 set a whole bunch of records for regular season ratings and were up there with playoffs ratings too, and their popularity nationwide was climbing (one poll said they had become the most popular team in the country last March).

But there is more regular season intrigue now, the East is "wide open" as they say.

We'll be lucky to make the playoffs :roll:
heater4life
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,758

Post#5 » by heater4life » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:46 am

TooManyClocks wrote:
mopper8 wrote:it's certainly possible. the Big 3 set a whole bunch of records for regular season ratings and were up there with playoffs ratings too, and their popularity nationwide was climbing (one poll said they had become the most popular team in the country last March).

Basketball savant!
HEYMANQueHoraEs
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,608

Post#6 » by HEYMANQueHoraEs » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:48 am

heater4life wrote:
TooManyClocks wrote:

Basketball savant!

It's not my narrative. The eyes weren't for mopper.
nbhadja
Sixth Man
And1: 1,148

Post#7 » by nbhadja » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:53 am

Ratings will still be high.Also Cleveland will be a championship contender.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#8 » by Temuhjan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:29 am

Absolutely. We have a Wild Wild West with the Champs, the retooled OKC, the hungry Clippers and Rockets, the resurgent Suns and Mavericks and the dark horses Trailblazers and Warriors. It's absolute eye candy.

In the East, all eyes will be on the Cavs, the Knicks and the young Pistons while the Bulls, the Raptors and the Pacers quietly chalk up the Ws. The Wizards and the Heat will round out the top 8.

Although I like our chance for making the Post Season, I do not like ending in the middle of the table. I would rather we take a year off to go young and tank hard.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,125

Post#9 » by dolphinatik » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:18 am

nah there was always a villan, always a team to be jealous of, always a super team. We wouldlike to thin the Heat started it but we didnt. Celtics Lakers have always been stacked and rightfully got all the glamour and hate for the NBA. most recently the Celtics with their big 3 and the Heat followed. Now there are teams like Houston, OKC, Portland, Cavs, Clippers and yes even the Spurs where you have a concentration of talent not matter how they were formed. NBA TV deal will be as strong as ever. The star power is there. Even broken teams like the Knicks and the Timberwolves still draw interest, NBA will be fine.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
kinghasnoequal
Senior
And1: 897

Post#10 » by kinghasnoequal » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:34 am

If Love goes to the Cavs, people will hate them.

The reality is that people will always find someone to hate. You can bet on that.
MuggsyBogues
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#11 » by MuggsyBogues » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:46 am

I don't think so. Everyone enjoys a good villain but LeBron, Kyrie and Wiggins have potential to be the most hyped up, flashiest team ever. Kyrie and Wiggins are basically synonymous with flash and hype. Even if that team doesn't live up to its potential (and it might, especially if they get Love), they will have flashiness in excess.

It's a very promotable team that should catch people's attention for many years. I think any broadcaster is ecstatic thinking about it. Or thinking about potential Cavs-Thunder or Cavs-Clippers matchups.

I do wonder who's the next villain is going to be. If Bosh left to Houston, it would be Houston. No one likes Dwight. No one likes Harden living at the line and his flopping. With Bosh and Parsons, they would've been one of title favorites, and I think they would've been the team that everyone hates. But they just don't look good enough now.
DWadeno3
RealGM
And1: 2,941

Post#12 » by DWadeno3 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:05 am

kinghasnoequal wrote:If Love goes to the Cavs, people will hate them.

The reality is that people will always find someone to hate. You can bet on that.

Nah the Cavs won't be hated. They're the new fan favorites of the NBA. I think we'll still receive more hate than them.

#HeatLifer
dancing2thabeet
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,681

Post#13 » by dancing2thabeet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:13 am

DWadeno3 wrote:

Nah the Cavs won't be hated. They're the new fan favorites of the NBA. I think we'll still receive more hate than them.

Watch LeBron get all the calls next year and shoot as many FTs as KD lol
orphicwhip wrote:
goodboy wrote:Man I got the flu, still will watch my team play though.

McBob shares the same mentality.
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,549

Post#14 » by Meeksology » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:50 pm

dancing2thabeet wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:

I know he's not on ur team anymore and all but don't get it twisted Lebron always got all the calls, regardless of what uniform he was wearing
dancing2thabeet
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,681

Post#15 » by dancing2thabeet » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:52 pm

Meeksology wrote:
dancing2thabeet wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:

I know he's not on ur team anymore and all but don't get it twisted Lebron always got all the calls, regardless of what uniform he was wearing

Hahahah...

No.
orphicwhip wrote:
goodboy wrote:Man I got the flu, still will watch my team play though.

McBob shares the same mentality.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,125

Post#16 » by dolphinatik » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:18 pm

Meeksology wrote:I know he's not on ur team anymore and all but don't get it twisted Lebron always got all the calls, regardless of what uniform he was wearing

lol someone wasnt watching Heat games last few years.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,549

Post#17 » by Meeksology » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:52 pm

dancing2thabeet wrote:
Meeksology wrote:I know he's not on ur team anymore and all but don't get it twisted Lebron always got all the calls, regardless of what uniform he was wearing

Hahahah...

No.

dolphinatik wrote:

Say what you will. Once u see the type of calls he will get this year, I suggest not complaining about it in the general board as if it is a new thing happening. Its been happening since the day he arrived in the league. The only difference is now u will get to witness it on the other end, along with what the other 28 teams' fans that have been seeing it since his arrival. And what you guys have been doing the last 4 years (defending him whether right or wrong), you will now see from Cavs fans, and I hope some sense of humility is taken once that is realized.
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,379

Post#18 » by Vertical Limit » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:46 am

Meeksology wrote:
dancing2thabeet wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:

Ummmm no.
GreenHat
Assistant Coach
And1: 340

Post#19 » by GreenHat » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:55 am

I doubt it.

With the advent of DVR and online streaming killing off commercials in live TV shows, Live Sports has become a boon to TV networks. The next contract will be big regardless.
Your emotions fuel the narratives that you create. You see what you want to see. You believe what you want to believe. You ascribe meaning when it is not there. You create significance when it is not present.
yanni
Sophomore
And1: 99

Post#20 » by yanni » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:49 am

Meeksology wrote:
dancing2thabeet wrote:

Hahahah...

No.

dolphinatik wrote:

Say what you will. Once u see the type of calls he will get this year, I suggest not complaining about it in the general board as if it is a new thing happening. Its been happening since the day he arrived in the league. The only difference is now u will get to witness it on the other end, along with what the other 28 teams' fans that have been seeing it since his arrival. And what you guys have been doing the last 4 years (defending him whether right or wrong), you will now see from Cavs fans, and I hope some sense of humility is taken once that is realized.

Yeah I don't understand why Miami fans continued to complain about the lack of calls for Lebron. If he could've stop launching jumper after jumper and attacked the basket more, posted up as much as Durant does, not only will he get more calls, his fg% will also improve a lot.
We fight.Image

Return to Miami Heat