ImageImageImage

We're going home, too

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

DilatedHeatFan
Senior
And1: 17

We're going home, too 

Post#1 » by DilatedHeatFan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:43 am

From "not six, not seven" to not one, to got one, a month ago we were were two-time champions in our fourth straight Finals, three wins from three. A month later, almost four years to the day after it started, it ended. Lebron goes home.

This hurt. We ache. Last Friday, I read Lebron's letter to Northeast Ohio in a blur, vision blurring, wondering how thoughts that seemed so pure and genuine could crash and thunder around me. "Everything ends badly; otherwise, it wouldn't end." The random quote from a forgotten movie, making a sudden appearance in what had been an intoxicating few years for Heat fans. I thought I had spent weeks preparing for this possibility. Friends and family did the same. Provisions, as they were, were insufficient. You can't prepare for this.

Still, as Dan Lebatard might say (might rant), give it to me again. If going through this was the price of admission, paid in arrears, for the last four years, I hope it's offered to us again. I'll be the first to opt in.

"I feel like when I go out there, if it's someone's first game to ever see me play -- I want them to remember me." - Lebron James, December 2012. Forget you, forget this? Not a chance. That much should be clear to every Heat fan out there -- we might never see this again. One of the best ever, in his prime, playing alongside the player that taught so many people in this city to love the NBA in the first place, chasing history together. You only get this type of run once. And now, Lebron goes home.

My thank you letter to Lebron was written three years ago, as it happens. (http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_ba ... -heat.html) I suppose I owe him another, but I'll have to write it another day. He's back in Cleveland. This is a Miami day.

Chris Bosh stayed. That means everything. Chris Anderson stayed. That means everything too. Four years ago, this came together as Wade announced his return, only to be joined by Chris Bosh and, soon after, Lebron, and everything began. Last Friday, as reports and rumors swept across Miami, a scary reverse symmetry seemed to emerge. Lebron had left, and Chris Bosh was leaving, and everything was over. But then Chris Bosh stayed. And just like that, nothing was over. Just like that, nothing is over.

Before Miami was "Hollywood as hell," as Joakim Noah called us, we were Alonzo Mourning. We were Keith Askins and Dan Majerle. We were 80 point games, but we keep you in the 70s. And, since 2003, we were Dwyane Wade.

Lebron is going home. But so are we.

I fell in love with Dwyane's game earlier than most. On a lousy DSL link with a choppy video feed, I watched him dissect and devour the 2003 rookie class in his summer league games in Orlando. I'd love to find the video -- I think he hit a game-winner over a Cleveland rookie named James. His first NBA game, he crossed-over Kyle Korver with a move that made the Philadelphia crowd gasp. Miami had never really had a player that could do that. He's the reason Lebron came here. He's still here.

Tuesday, with a simple post and a simple message, Dwyane announced his return to his home, his city, his house. One of the best guards who's ever played, who has spent his entire career and will spend his entire career playing in his house, our house, our city, reminded us of something. Home isn't just a place. For Dwyane, home is playing for Miami. For Miami, home is watching Dwyane.

Welcome home, Miami.
vanhowell
Senior
And1: 687

Re: We're going home, too 

Post#2 » by vanhowell » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:13 am

MV3 is back [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] Let's Go Heat!!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
To succeed, attitude is equally as important as ability.
Dupas
Analyst
And1: 1,860

Post#3 » by Dupas » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:22 am

People should stop talking about some beta guy like lbj. This aint for kiddos
yungsin1
Junior
And1: 570

Post#4 » by yungsin1 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:44 pm

vanhowell wrote:MV3 is back [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] Let's Go Heat!!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I really hope so....
SWadeUP
Starter
And1: 1,733

Post#5 » by SWadeUP » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:53 pm

Very well written
HeatDaChamps
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#6 » by HeatDaChamps » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:37 pm

That was really good
Bourne85
General Manager
And1: 8,997

Post#7 » by Bourne85 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:18 am

That was very well written.

But you are incorrect in the part where you said "Wade crossed over Korver the crowd gasped, we never had a player like that".

Tim Hardaway was the KING of crossovers.

Other than that And1 to you sir.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#8 » by spearsy23 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:57 am

As an outsider who can count young Wade as my absolute favorite player to have ever watched, I really hope he is back and healthy enough to carry the load for at least this season. Getting to see a single season of throwback Flash would be an experience akin to watching Reggie Miller lighting up the Pistons after malice in the palace.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
gozmek
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#9 » by gozmek » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:34 am

Totally love this post. I live in Australia and never really got to watch too many NBA games on TV as a kid in the 90s. Only got to watch some bulls games with MJ when I could. When I could finally start to watch games regularly in the 2000's this kid called D-Wade in his rookie season caught my eye and I fell in love with basketball again.

I too just want at least one more season of superstar Wade. Good and healthy enough to be able to take over games when he needs to. Anything we get from him after this year is a bonus.. I'm really praying for just one more season of Wade destroying people. I really want to silence the doubters one last time.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#10 » by HIF » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:06 am

Wade's team again. yeeeah!!
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Tartan937
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#11 » by Tartan937 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:52 pm

I love this post.

I vividly remember watching Dwyane Wade destroy Kentucky in the Elite 8 in his final year with Marquette. I was a fan instantly and it only increased when he was drafted by my favorite team. Since then he took the team to the playoffs in his rookie year, became the best player on a championship team, stayed loyal to the franchise, made Miami a basketball destination and brought (for a while anyway) the best player in basketball to Miami. Wade ultimately went on to deliver three championships and to cement his place as one of the five best 2 guards of all time. It has been an absolute joy to watch his career and for every minute to come in a Heat jersey.

Folks are welcome to celebrate LeBron coming home and I understand why. Important to note though that Dwyane Wade, a kid from Chicago, is coming home to a place he never had to leave. Pretty cool stuff.

Thanks for the post man.

Return to Miami Heat