ImageImageImage

How do the 2014-15 Heat match up vs the 2014-15 Cavs?

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Re: How do the 2014-15 Heat match up vs the 2014-15 Cavs? 

Post#21 » by RJM » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:05 am

Enso wrote:
jami0528 wrote:I agree, if we iso ball we lose, but if we take a page out of the Spurs playbook we can win.

Yeah we've got solid pieces to compete. I think the system and health will be most important. Look at it this way if Thibodeau had this same roster I think people would call us the favorites in the east. Think about that for a second. Spo will never truly get his due until we wins without LBJ. Our sytem has to definitely revolve around ball movement because we have the pieces to play that way. Interesting times ahead.

Which is interesting because his first two seasons appear to be largely overlooked, where he coached a prime Wade to 43 and then 47 wins with little else around him (a broken-down Jermaine O'Neal, Michael Beasley, and various role players). I think we saw glimpses of what a LeBron-less Spoffense looked like in the following games:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa0zAbkhUKw[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I45gW4cjWIM[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZa6f1i4slM[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVz4Eu90-pU[/youtube]

^re: that last one--remember the first half of that game when Miami was competing hard and taking it to the Knicks before the bottom fell out? That was strong role player play and good coaching. Most if not all of the big three were out in each of these games, and these wins came against solid teams (except for NY---that was a loss, but you get the idea).
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#22 » by RJM » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:09 am

Enso wrote:
aquaadverse wrote:We'll know in April.

Thanks for your input dude

What, did you want an essay from him or something?
Enso
Head Coach
And1: 23,721

Post#23 » by Enso » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:37 am

RJM wrote:
Enso wrote:
aquaadverse wrote:We'll know in April.

Just as his post was extremely vague yours is a little on the extreme never said anything about an essay :wink: Anyone can say well see in the playoffs. What if they don't meet?
Enso
Head Coach

Post#24 » by Enso » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:38 am

RJM wrote:
Enso wrote:
jami0528 wrote:I agree, if we iso ball we lose, but if we take a page out of the Spurs playbook we can win.

Yeah we've got solid pieces to compete. I think the system and health will be most important. Look at it this way if Thibodeau had this same roster I think people would call us the favorites in the east. Think about that for a second. Spo will never truly get his due until we wins without LBJ. Our sytem has to definitely revolve around ball movement because we have the pieces to play that way. Interesting times ahead.

Which is interesting because his first two seasons appear to be largely overlooked, where he coached a prime Wade to 43 and then 47 wins with little else around him (a broken-down Jermaine O'Neal, Michael Beasley, and various role players). I think we saw glimpses of what a LeBron-less Spoffense looked like in the following games:

^re: that last one--remember the first half of that game when Miami was competing hard and taking it to the Knicks before the bottom fell out? That was strong role player play and good coaching. Most if not all of the big three were out in each of these games, and these wins came against solid teams (except for NY---that was a loss, but you get the idea).

man those vids get me excited in the pants. Mcbob and deng will be such good additions
aquaadverse
Banned User
And1: 154

Post#25 » by aquaadverse » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:34 am

Enso wrote:
RJM wrote:
Enso wrote:

Just as his post was extremely vague yours is a little on the extreme never said anything about an essay :wink: Anyone can say well see in the playoffs. What if they don't meet?

What was vague ? We won't know in April ? I never said anything about the playoffs.
My comment was more about starting a separate thread about a subject that has been covered over and over in multiple threads . Most of the posts in this thread are simply repeating the same stuff. Wades knees. Cavs defense. Bosh back to Raptor's form.

My comment was probably the most realistic.
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,408

Post#26 » by Mr Loggins » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:26 am

RJM wrote:
Enso wrote:

* Off topic... try the Cleveland Board where they might care about Mike Brown's legacy.

--heat4life
Enso
Head Coach

Post#27 » by Enso » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:28 am

aquaadverse wrote:
Enso wrote:
RJM wrote:

What was vague ? We won't know in April ? I never said anything about the playoffs.
My comment was more about starting a separate thread about a subject that has been covered over and over in multiple threads . Most of the posts in this thread are simply repeating the same stuff. Wades knees. Cavs defense. Bosh back to Raptor's form.

My comment was probably the most realistic.

Ahmed1212
Senior
And1: 558

Post#28 » by Ahmed1212 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:57 pm

Personally I don't think Miami will be a very strong team in the East I have them finishing anywhere between 5th-7th. However, I think they will be much stronger in the playoffs then in the reg season. They remind me of those old boston teams not to long ago that was stocked with a bunch of vets that could win a game 1 in the playoffs for you. I mean Bosh, Wade, Granger and Deng these dudes are proven guys. If they somehow face the unproven cavs in the first round (possible 7thseed vs 2nd seed) I can see them pulling off the upset of the decade.
Micro SaaS founder. Help people grow their Twitter and LinkedIn accounts. Subscribe here, https://www.postlyynewsletter.com/ for free tips on creating engaging content on Twiter and LinkedIn.
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Post#29 » by goodboy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:31 pm

Ahmed1212 wrote:Personally I don't think Miami will be a very strong team in the East I have them finishing anywhere between 5th-7th. However, I think they will be much stronger in the playoffs then in the reg season. They remind me of those old boston teams not to long ago that was stocked with a bunch of vets that could win a game 1 in the playoffs for you. I mean Bosh, Wade, Granger and Deng these dudes are proven guys. If they somehow face the unproven cavs in the first round (possible 7thseed vs 2nd seed) I can see them pulling off the upset of the decade.

Thanks for the analysis dude, I do see them being a lot more adaptable for the playoffs if they fail to reach the top 3rd to 5th seed in the East.

Teams like Wash, Charlotte and Raptors are still first round experienced teams so we have a slight edge over getting over that hump. Yes we lost LBJ but experience goes long way while having Deng/Granger making it out of the first round as well, that's if they are healthy.
Bright
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Post#30 » by DefenseWins » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:41 pm

They are the better team, just be honest. Just thinking about this makes me realize this is how Bulls fans or even Celtics fans (before they split up) discussed us when we were the team to beat. Many people said how we dont have heart so we would never win, Lebron had no heart, this and person can't score, bench is old blah blah

We still got two rings despite what people said and 4 finals appearances

If we do not defend, we will get smoked. Their offense is much better than ours already and their coach I believe is an offensive type guy, but it's how we score on them. Bosh, Wade, McBob, Deng all gotta step up. I don't know how we will defend Lebron, but one on one coverage won't work, we know how he is, he will crush anyone 1vs1. We gotta wall him up and defend their 3 point shooters. Or make him beat you and lock down everyone else, that is possible too

Btw, we still have rebounding issues, they don't. Lebron went from being on the worse rebounding team to a top 5 rebounding team. Varejao, Love and Lebron securing the boards? Lol. Deng is a good rebounder but how will we stop love and varejao?

Our bench is more versatile but that doesn't mean much. We know our defense is and they have snipers we know can shoot the ball, and this is assuming Ray joins them. Again if we can't defend them we will get smoked.

We will get a better idea of how things will go in the regular season. We meet up with them like 4 times I believe.
Zasterror
RealGM
And1: 10,019

Post#31 » by Zasterror » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:56 am

DefenseWins wrote:They are the better team, just be honest. Just thinking about this makes me realize this is how Bulls fans or even Celtics fans (before they split up) discussed us when we were the team to beat. Many people said how we dont have heart so we would never win, Lebron had no heart, this and person can't score, bench is old blah blah

We still got two rings despite what people said and 4 finals appearances

If we do not defend, we will get smoked. Their offense is much better than ours already and their coach I believe is an offensive type guy, but it's how we score on them. Bosh, Wade, McBob, Deng all gotta step up. I don't know how we will defend Lebron, but one on one coverage won't work, we know how he is, he will crush anyone 1vs1. We gotta wall him up and defend their 3 point shooters. Or make him beat you and lock down everyone else, that is possible too

Btw, we still have rebounding issues, they don't. Lebron went from being on the worse rebounding team to a top 5 rebounding team. Varejao, Love and Lebron securing the boards? Lol. Deng is a good rebounder but how will we stop love and varejao?

Our bench is more versatile but that doesn't mean much. We know our defense is and they have snipers we know can shoot the ball, and this is assuming Ray joins them. Again if we can't defend them we will get smoked.

We will get a better idea of how things will go in the regular season. We meet up with them like 4 times I believe.

That is real and really how I am thinking about it the whole way. Cavs are a Finals team and pretty easily I might add. I would like for us to think that we may be the only team in the East to prevent them from going that far but there are too many variables on our side to even think about matching our strengths and weaknesses against theirs.
Run DLC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,769

Post#32 » by Run DLC » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:48 am

We have the defense to slow them down if we play with 100% effort on the defensive end. However, they do have the advantage when it comes to 3pt-shooting, rebounding, and consistent scoring. We all know that we've always had problems with rebounding and giving up open 3's. Sometimes, our guys will play great defense, but they still end up not getting the defensive boards and gave away easy second chance points and I'd expect the Cavs to do that against us. Varejao and Love will be cleaning up after their teammates miss shots and looks to grab offensive rebounds for their team.

LeBron knows our defensive scheme inside and out. He'll be able to exploit our weaknesses easily. We can surprise them with our offense since I'm assuming that Spo will change it with Bosh being our 1A or 1B option on the offensive end. The Cavs will give us plenty of opportunities to score since outside of LeBron and a healthy Varejao, the rest of their three starters[Kyrie, Love, and Waiters] are atrocious on the defensive end. Wade would have to play like 09 Wade and Bosh would have to not only score 20+ points, but he'd have to grab 10+ boards in order to have a chance against them. I just don't see Bosh being able to secure possessions for us by grabbing a lot of defensive boards for us to stand a chance.

Bosh career defensive rebounds 6.4
Love career defensive rebounds 8.5
Thanks for all the great memories, LeBron! The show must go on! #Heatnation
HeatNation88
Veteran
And1: 2,109

Post#33 » by HeatNation88 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:38 am

Cavs lack toughness, defense, bench, and size... When we got LeBron in 2010 we lacked bench, size, rebounding and toughness and still made the finals and almost won. All we can do is predict now and see what the future holds. I feel like over the next 5 years Riley will keep adding pieces that will make us a contender but not an instant champion but we will have a team that will compete. I think Riley goal is to build a team to stop the Cavs any ya possible and try to get a shot at the finals. We will be 3-1 or 2-1 vs the Cavs this season book it! We may lost LeBron but we got some nice additions

I see us be a Top 3-4 team in the East

Pay Back is a B*tch

"Shine from the Darkness"

Formally known as "MiamiHeatFan6"
number1joker
Banned User
And1: 218

Post#34 » by number1joker » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:41 am

badly
ifrosty13
Head Coach
And1: 1,362

Post#35 » by ifrosty13 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:54 pm

On our best day and their worse day they will probably still beat us. It is what it is.
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Post#36 » by contract » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:58 pm

Enso wrote:Now that the love deal is official and the we have an idea of what the final rosters will be for both team. How do you guys think we match up vs the cavs?

We don't.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,961

Post#37 » by SweetTouch » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:09 pm

Some of the posts are here are laughable

Denial is not just a river in Egypt

Put your life savings on it youngstas
Stop being so disrespectful.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#38 » by RSCD3_ » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:24 am

Run DLC wrote:We have the defense to slow them down if we play with 100% effort on the defensive end. However, they do have the advantage when it comes to 3pt-shooting, rebounding, and consistent scoring. We all know that we've always had problems with rebounding and giving up open 3's. Sometimes, our guys will play great defense, but they still end up not getting the defensive boards and gave away easy second chance points and I'd expect the Cavs to do that against us. Varejao and Love will be cleaning up after their teammates miss shots and looks to grab offensive rebounds for their team.

LeBron knows our defensive scheme inside and out. He'll be able to exploit our weaknesses easily. We can surprise them with our offense since I'm assuming that Spo will change it with Bosh being our 1A or 1B option on the offensive end. The Cavs will give us plenty of opportunities to score since outside of LeBron and a healthy Varejao, the rest of their three starters[Kyrie, Love, and Waiters] are atrocious on the defensive end. Wade would have to play like 09 Wade and Bosh would have to not only score 20+ points, but he'd have to grab 10+ boards in order to have a chance against them. I just don't see Bosh being able to secure possessions for us by grabbing a lot of defensive boards for us to stand a chance.

Bosh career defensive rebounds 6.4
Love career defensive rebounds 8.5

I agree that Irving and love have been rightfully called negative defenders, but waiters is pretty good on that end, at worst an average defender

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#39 » by LikeABosh » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:42 am

HeatNation88 wrote:Cavs lack toughness, defense, bench, and size...

How do they lack size? Love, Varejao, and Thompson aren't particularly tall I'll admit, but they all take up a lot of space and gobble up a lot of rebounds. Doesn't really fit the comparison with the 2010 heat
number1joker
Banned User
And1: 218

Post#40 » by number1joker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:29 am

*unnecessary language. Please keep it clean
--heat4life

Return to Miami Heat