ImageImageImage

Wiretap: Heat To 'Tweak' System, Gamble Less On Defense

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

mhi
Pro Prospect
And1: 138

Wiretap: Heat To 'Tweak' System, Gamble Less On Defense 

Post#1 » by mhi » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:44 pm

For Dwyane Wade, there will be a slimmer star, one entrusted with more ball-handling responsibilities and a greater offensive load.

For Chris Bosh, there will be more offensive assertiveness after spending weeks in the shadows of the Pacific Ocean polishing the low-post skills he displayed in Toronto but weren’t consistently needed here.

For Mario Chalmers, there will be a renewed offensive bent.

And for Udonis Haslem, there will be less need to pass up the open mid-range shot.

“Hopefully,” Haslem said, “I can be a little bit more of who I was in the past instead of just trying to stay out of the way all the time.”

Naturally, all would have preferred LeBron James stay.

But what awaits without him “got me excited for the next chapter, to rise up to the challenge,” Bosh told 790/104.3 The Ticket this summer. “It gives us an opportunity to play with a chip on our shoulder. It’s revitalized my attitude toward basketball. We have a very good team.”

So what will we see more of from Bosh?

“C.B. is going to get back down in the post” some, Haslem said.

In workouts at UCLA this summer with respected trainer Ed Downs and former Arizona and ex-NBA guard Miles Simon, Bosh has been working on operating with the ball in his hands more often and also polishing post moves that were often sacrificed to accommodate the Heat’s system.

“On the offensive end, he’s planning on more touches and being more of a focal point of the offense,” Simon said by phone. “The feeling I get from him is he can go back to his days as a Toronto Raptor putting up 20 and 10. He’s looking forward to meeting that challenge.

“He seems very focused. He has really expanded his game with the threes [the past two years] and he will be around the basket more this season. This summer, he has worked a lot on back-to-the-basket moves and a lot on footwork. You will see his game evolve. You will see him command double teams. He will come to camp in really good shape.”

Bosh said: “It’s cool to be in that situation again” of assuming a bigger role offensively. “I’m a much better player than I was the last time in that position.”

Wade, 32, said he will not get a complete feel for his new role until training camp and cautions: “I can’t go back five years.”

But Haslem said: “We’re going to need more from him not just offensively, but defensively as well, getting back to being that first-, second-team All Defensive player he was, leading our defense.

“He’s definitely going to have to be more aggressive. In the fourth quarter, there are going to be times for him to take over the game like he did in the past. Last four years, it was a little bit of everybody, but the offense was dictated going through LeBron. We’re going to have to go through Dwyane down the stretch now. He’s going to be the playmaker and decision maker on who takes the shots.”

Meanwhile, Chalmers will “go back to his natural position as a point guard and facilitate the team,” his father, Ronnie Chalmers, said.

“As sad we all are to see LeBron go, Mario’s excited to go back to his natural position. He loves being a playmaker. And there will be more opportunities to score.”

A Heat official said even beyond Erik Spoelstra’s staff changes, “you will see some tweaks in how we play.” The team’s gambling defense, which left open too many three-point shooters, needs addressing.

“We can’t just show up and expect to win it in the fourth quarter any more,” the Heat official said.

Haslem said he, Chalmers, Wade, Norris Cole and Josh McRoberts had a productive recent bonding session, over several days, in Bloomington, Ind., doing on-court work with Hoosiers coach Tom Crean, Wade's friend and former coach at Marquette.

“I’m sure there are a lot of people counting us out, a lot of people not expecting much from us,” Haslem said. “We still think we can be highly competitive. We still think we have a chance to compete for the Eastern Conference title.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... ripts.html

Have you guys heard anything about the tweaks to the offense ?

Chalmers could theoretically improve if they switch up the offense, but is Spo ready to abandon his patented "pace and space" offense ? Is he creative enough to retool the defense AND offense in one off season ?
Originated from the nethermost, currently however, our entire squadron is now hither.
Dupas
Analyst
And1: 1,860

Re: Wiretap: Heat To 'Tweak' System, Gamble Less On Defense 

Post#2 » by Dupas » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:47 pm

He better be. We lost the center of that offense and our best shooter.
I really want us to play 2006 type. Getting the ball downlow , slashing to the basket and making defenses work their ass off.

I think the defense will be the trick part for us. Was 4 years of that type of defense. We could really used a big..gasol would have been huge for us..thanks for that lebeta
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Post#3 » by DefenseWins » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:29 pm

I'm excited to finally hear this. Four years too late under the big 3 era, and took us getting our butts whooped, as well as losing the best player in the league for the coaching staff to realize this but better late than never I guess.

Interested to see who replaces rothstein and mcadoo. Guess they wanted old guys out the window and in with new guys, who are like Spo and fizdale. Guess this is what Riley meant when these guys had to reinvent themselves
Bourne85
General Manager
And1: 8,997

Post#4 » by Bourne85 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:03 pm

Took spo this long to realize the "system" needs tweaking sigh.

Literally everyone on this board has been saying to cut out the headless chicken d for a few years now.

I'm guessing someone finally rebooted spobot and ran a mcafee anti virus on him.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,137

Post#5 » by Heat3 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:02 pm

Bourne85 wrote:Took spo this long to realize the "system" needs tweaking sigh.

Literally everyone on this board has been saying to cut out the headless chicken d for a few years now.

I'm guessing someone finally rebooted spobot and ran a mcafee anti virus on him.

Well that headless chicken d only failed once and I'm not sure it was the root cause of the failure.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

DWadeno3
RealGM
And1: 2,941

Post#6 » by DWadeno3 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Heat3 wrote:

Well that headless chicken d only failed once and I'm not sure it was the root cause of the failure.

Don't take their belief of Spo being the root of all of our problems away.

#HeatLifer
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,767

Post#7 » by Hallstar » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:30 am

DWadeno3 wrote:
Heat3 wrote:

Don't take their belief of Spo being the root of all of our problems away.

It's beyond sad at this point
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by DefenseWins » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:40 am

And the tweaking involves Chris Quinn

Been laughing for 5 minutes
DWadeno3
RealGM
And1: 2,941

Post#9 » by DWadeno3 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:30 am

DefenseWins wrote:And the tweaking involves Chris Quinn

Been laughing for 5 minutes

So you know whether he's qualified to be an assistant coach in the NBA or not?

#HeatLifer
GreenHat
Assistant Coach
And1: 340

Post#10 » by GreenHat » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:43 pm

Heat3 wrote:

Our offense and facing terrible eastern conference offenses in the playoffs has more to do with the only one failure than the actual level of play.
Your emotions fuel the narratives that you create. You see what you want to see. You believe what you want to believe. You ascribe meaning when it is not there. You create significance when it is not present.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,137

Post#11 » by Heat3 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:28 am

GreenHat wrote:
Heat3 wrote:

Our offense and facing terrible eastern conference offenses in the playoffs has more to do with the only one failure than the actual level of play.

yeah, Okc and the Spurs were terrible eastern conf offenses the defense worked against. if only the staff had done things differently, the results might be different. perhaps only one or no championships at all
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

GreenHat
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by GreenHat » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:17 am

Heat3 wrote:
GreenHat wrote:
Heat3 wrote:

yeah, Okc and the Spurs were terrible eastern conf offenses the defense worked against. if only the staff had done things differently, the results might be different. perhaps only one or no championships at all

No but the Pacers, Celtics and Bulls are all terrible Eastern Conference offenses. And that's not even counting the bad teams. Our defense only failed once because the other times it had a subpar showing it was masked by our offense or the lack of offense of the opposition.

Just this season our defense failed in multiple series, not just against the Spurs. It just wasn't as apparent because we were so much better than the teams we were playing.

We've played three good offenses in three years. Sure you could say only one time was a defensive failure but all three times the team did better than their season average against us. Which year would you say our defense worked against them? We ended up winning but it wasn't the defense.

So again our defense only failing once has more to do with our competition and our offense rather than the actual defensive play.
Your emotions fuel the narratives that you create. You see what you want to see. You believe what you want to believe. You ascribe meaning when it is not there. You create significance when it is not present.
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#13 » by EscapoTHB » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:04 am

If we can get back to principles defensively and be a top 10 defense again, we're going to do damage. I felt like last year we fell into a lot of bad habits because of the amount of energy the system required and the tiredness of a team that had been to 4 straight finals. We should be better defensively without Lebron who was subpar last season defensively. Deng should be an upgrade over last year, and if we gamble less defensively and force teams to beat us rather than beat ourselves--that should stabilize things.

Pretty excited for the new season.
Rock Hardy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,868

Post#14 » by Rock Hardy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:11 am

GreenHat wrote:
Heat3 wrote:
GreenHat wrote:

No but the Pacers, Celtics and Bulls are all terrible Eastern Conference offenses. And that's not even counting the bad teams. Our defense only failed once because the other times it had a subpar showing it was masked by our offense or the lack of offense of the opposition.

Just this season our defense failed in multiple series, not just against the Spurs. It just wasn't as apparent because we were so much better than the teams we were playing.

We've played three good offenses in three years. Sure you could say only one time was a defensive failure but all three times the team did better than their season average against us. Which year would you say our defense worked against them? We ended up winning but it wasn't the defense.

So again our defense only failing once has more to do with our competition and our offense rather than the actual defensive play.

There is nothing wrong with the system. It worked just fine with the personnel we had. The problem was the personnel got tired, and you can't change your system when your personnel are built for it. If we played standard defense, or even tried Thibs' system of overloading the strong side, we wouldn't get out of the eastern conference.

We built a roster to force teams to matchup with us. We could force bigger mismatches on offense than the opposition could exploit on defense. We overcame size by fronting and rotating around to deny the interior. We trapped the ball to slow decision making and eat clock. Also, because it's only the most popular way of initiating offense in this league. You stop the offense at the point of attack.

It's a smart system, and ruthlessly efficient. It's also ruthlessly taxing, but that wasn't a problem until the miles started piling up. The success brought by the piranha defense was also its undoing last year. We saw it all year where the guys were just slacking on defense. The assumption was they'd turn it on for the playoffs, but the tank was empty. I'm not exactly sure what Spo was supposed to do about that.

The system Spo devised for the Big3's run won 14 of 16 playoff series. The 2 were lost to Texas teams who shot the lights out. Our defense could have been in top form, and they still would've beaten us. The defense Dallas beat was probably better than any we've had since. San Antonio was simply on a mission.

Any tweaks to the system now are just changes to accommodate for Lebron being out. He was allowed to gamble in the passing lanes more with Wade. However, just a cursory glance at the roster decision for this year shows that we're going with length and quickness over size.
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,715

Post#15 » by contract » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:55 am

Wade, 32, said he will not get a complete feel for his new role until training camp and cautions: “I can’t go back five years.”

But Haslem said: “We’re going to need more from him not just offensively, but defensively as well, getting back to being that first-, second-team All Defensive player he was, leading our defense.[/b]

There's more chance that Wade will get back to scoring 25 points a night than there is of him becoming a 2nd team all defensive player ... and there isn't much chance of either. UD and everyone else needs to get over the old Wade, because old Wade doesn't have a hot tub time machine.

18 points - 5 asts - 5 rebs - 1 steal - 1 block and plus defense is all that we can expect ... if his knee holds up.

I just hope he's been working on his 3 pt shot like crazy, because otherwise he's going to struggle.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
RatherUnique
Analyst
And1: 1,431

Post#16 » by RatherUnique » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:37 pm

If Wade could shoot threes then he'd still be well above 20 ppg.

It's very disappointing that he still hasn't added that to his repertoire.
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by DefenseWins » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:38 pm

contract wrote:

But Haslem said: “We’re going to need more from him not just offensively, but defensively as well, getting back to being that first-, second-team All Defensive player he was, leading our defense.[/b]

There's more chance that Wade will get back to scoring 25 points a night than there is of him becoming a 2nd team all defensive player ... and there isn't much chance of either. UD and everyone else needs to get over the old Wade, because old Wade doesn't have a hot tub time machine.

18 points - 5 asts - 5 rebs - 1 steal - 1 block and plus defense is all that we can expect ... if his knee holds up.

I just hope he's been working on his 3 pt shot like crazy, because otherwise he's going to struggle.

18 points? Wade at his worse scored 19 pts per game, I think he can still be a 20ppg+ player. Especially if he is atleast a bit more healthy, which I expect as well.
GreenHat
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by GreenHat » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:13 am

Rock Hardy wrote:
GreenHat wrote:
Heat3 wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the system. It worked just fine with the personnel we had. The problem was the personnel got tired, and you can't change your system when your personnel are built for it. If we played standard defense, or even tried Thibs' system of overloading the strong side, we wouldn't get out of the eastern conference.

We built a roster to force teams to matchup with us. We could force bigger mismatches on offense than the opposition could exploit on defense. We overcame size by fronting and rotating around to deny the interior. We trapped the ball to slow decision making and eat clock. Also, because it's only the most popular way of initiating offense in this league. You stop the offense at the point of attack.

It's a smart system, and ruthlessly efficient. It's also ruthlessly taxing, but that wasn't a problem until the miles started piling up. The success brought by the piranha defense was also its undoing last year. We saw it all year where the guys were just slacking on defense. The assumption was they'd turn it on for the playoffs, but the tank was empty. I'm not exactly sure what Spo was supposed to do about that.

The system Spo devised for the Big3's run won 14 of 16 playoff series. The 2 were lost to Texas teams who shot the lights out. Our defense could have been in top form, and they still would've beaten us. The defense Dallas beat was probably better than any we've had since. San Antonio was simply on a mission.

Any tweaks to the system now are just changes to accommodate for Lebron being out. He was allowed to gamble in the passing lanes more with Wade. However, just a cursory glance at the roster decision for this year shows that we're going with length and quickness over size.

Who would we have lost to in the East? I disagree completely with that opinion.

And it wasn't "ruthlessly efficient" that was kind of the problem.

I do agree that everyone assumed we would flip the switch (and argued with many about that happening)

Saying the defensive system won us 14 of 16 playoff series is like saying Spo's black tie won us 14 of 16 series. Correlation is not necessarily causation and we would have won most of those series with nearly any system.

I agree that it needs to be tweaked without Lebron but disagree that Lebron was allowed to gamble more than Wade.
heatlespeatles
Head Coach
And1: 2,611

Post#19 » by heatlespeatles » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:57 am

All i can say about this is. Finally.

Return to Miami Heat