ImageImageImage

Your Earliest Memory of Watching the Miami Heat?

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

LEIF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 921
Location: Charleston, SC. Born and raised in The City of North Miami.

Re: Your Earliest Memory of Watching the Miami Heat? 

Post#21 » by LEIF » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:33 pm

digg211 wrote:I remember when that NBA nixed that signing. I still don't get what the Heat did illegally because I haven't researched into it. Did we go over the cap with the Howard signing, was that against league rules back then?

off topic to the thread but what happened was at that time under that CBA, you could exceed the salary cap to resign your own players but you had to use all of your cap space first. You could not agree to any deals with your own free agents (at least publicly)....We had the space to sign Howard, but had to sign him first and then give the $100 million dollar extension to Zo. Zo's extension could not be technically agreed upon....

Zo went on ESPN and did a 1 on 1 interview about being the first $100 million dollar NBA player....turns out he did that interview before the league got the Howard contract finalized. So Zo acknowledging his contract on national TV in an interview before every T was crossed and I was dotted on the Howard contract voided Juwan's deal....

turned out to be a blessing in disguise but at the time I remember how devastated the fanbase was....

Follow me on Twitter @Lefty_Leif
Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Post#22 » by Maroko » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:41 pm

LEIF wrote:
digg211 wrote:I remember when that NBA nixed that signing. I still don't get what the Heat did illegally because I haven't researched into it. Did we go over the cap with the Howard signing, was that against league rules back then?

off topic to the thread but what happened was at that time under that CBA, you could exceed the salary cap to resign your own players but you had to use all of your cap space first. You could not agree to any deals with your own free agents (at least publicly)....We had the space to sign Howard, but had to sign him first and then give the $100 million dollar extension to Zo. Zo's extension could not be technically agreed upon....

Zo went on ESPN and did a 1 on 1 interview about being the first $100 million dollar NBA player....turns out he did that interview before the league got the Howard contract finalized. So Zo acknowledging his contract on national TV in an interview before every T was crossed and I was dotted on the Howard contract voiced Juwan's deal....

turned out to be a blessing in disguise but at the time I remember how devastated the fanbase was....

thank you for the explanation ! I guess we learnt about it with this offseason :D
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,205

Post#23 » by Heat3 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:17 am

earliest i can remember is the harold miner dunk contest in 1993. that was the first year i was really watching the nba but nothing from earlier that year really stands out at me.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

theFRANCHISE
Sixth Man
And1: 354

Post#24 » by theFRANCHISE » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:30 am

I remember harold miner always having good games against the lakers when LA would play in MIAMI
"You could call it with braille!" - Chick Hearn
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Your Earliest Memory of Watching the Miami Heat? 

Post#25 » by Heat_team02 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:00 pm

http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 30IND.html

We lost to the Pacers 119-83 on 11/23/1991 when I came to visit Miami to attend college. Nothing memorable about that game except for Rony Siekely oh & lots of booing.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#26 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Oct 1, 2014 3:20 pm

My earliest memory involves the hustle of Grant Long back in the early 90's.

Funny you mention Ronny Siekely. I sat behind him and his wife a year or so ago at a Magic game in Orlando.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
El Alonzo scowl
Veteran
And1: 5,438

Post#27 » by El Alonzo scowl » Thu Oct 2, 2014 9:27 pm

I don't remember the exact year but it was Jordan's Bulls vs Zo's Heat in the mid 90s.
Rodrizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#28 » by Rodrizzle » Fri Oct 3, 2014 10:10 pm

Ive been a Heat fan since they day Tim Hardaway came to town. Before that I was following the Warriors because of Hardaway. Not being from Miami I more followed the player but really grew to love this team and the rest is history. Really looking forward to this season and hoping to see some real intense scrappy Heat team. A throwback to the old Heat Knicks rivalry type but with better scoring :)
I BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS....MY FRIEND!!!!
xMADEinDADEx
Head Coach
And1: 3,427

Post#29 » by xMADEinDADEx » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Seikaly!!!!!!
Formerly known as G-Menn..
wadeskywalker
Senior
And1: 638

Post#30 » by wadeskywalker » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:32 am

A lot og memories but this one stands out..Grant Long vs Duane Ferrell...
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtlb25 ... nd-1_sport
gonzo8402
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#31 » by gonzo8402 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:52 am

Obviously this isn't the first game I've watched.. But my first clear memory is that runner from Allen Bitchass Houston.

Return to Miami Heat