ImageImageImage

ESPN player rankings has Wade at 36

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

yungsin1
Junior
And1: 570

ESPN player rankings has Wade at 36 

Post#1 » by yungsin1 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:04 pm

I really want to see the 36 players ESPN has better than Wade.
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Re: ESPN player rankings has Wade at 36 

Post#2 » by heat4life » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:31 pm

These rankings are debatable which is why ESPN has them to begin with (clicks). With that being said, Wade's injuries and playing 2nd fiddle to Lebron for 4 years gives the perception of a decline in his game mostly because of stats. The assumption that he's aged at only 32 years old doesn't help his argument either.

Fans love youth and promise (Ennis is a good example on our boards) and as soon as the masses see signs of big time potential, they tend to rate such young player higher than the seasoned veteran. Fair or not, we can't get offended by any rankings instead just hope that Wade stays healthy for the betterment of the team and proves everyone in front of him - by ESPN standards - wrong.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#3 » by PaulieWal » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Kobe was at 40. As much as I don't like Kobe but appreciate his greatness I want both Wade and Kobe to have good seasons. This is almost a "prove it again" season for both. Their legacies at this point are more or less set and most think that they are done. I would love to see Wade play 65-70 games while putting up 20-22/5/5. Fingers crossed.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
Heat_Fan_87
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#4 » by Heat_Fan_87 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:08 pm

Wade is my favorite player but i am having a hard time trying to defend him here. Really hoping he proves em wrong.
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Post#5 » by DefenseWins » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:46 pm

Heat_Fan_87 wrote:Wade is my favorite player but i am having a hard time trying to defend him here. Really hoping he proves em wrong.

Pretty much

We know how Wade is, but with his injuries and missing 34% of the games last year and a bad Finals, it's hard to argue against this

Also Wade these days can't shake off guys like he use to, and I don't remember the last time he had a block

He has to prove himself again. It's no surprise about this ranking.
DWadeno3
RealGM
And1: 2,941

Post#6 » by DWadeno3 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:49 pm

If they rank Kobe at 40, you can understand them ranking Wade at 36. I hope both players prove them wrong.

#HeatLifer
Cmon_Son-_-
Head Coach
And1: 8,734

Post#7 » by Cmon_Son-_- » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:03 pm

What's crazy but kind of good is that Loul Deng has yet to be named.
| ̶G̶̶̶i̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶n̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶2̶̶̶1̶̶̶ ̶̶̶ ̶H̶̶̶a̶̶̶r̶̶̶d̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶ ̶ ̶B̶e̶a̶l̶/̶L̶a̶v̶i̶n̶e̶/̶L̶i̶l̶l̶a̶r̶d̶/̶I̶r̶v̶i̶n̶g̶/̶M̶i̶t̶c̶h̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶3 ̶L̶i̶l̶l̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶2̶.̶0̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶4̶ Jesus 2024| :pray:|
Bourne85
General Manager
And1: 9,029

Post#8 » by Bourne85 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:50 pm

I see no problem with his ranking. He needs to "prove" himself this year, same as Kobe.
Pure_Basketball
Head Coach
And1: 6,375

Post#9 » by Pure_Basketball » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:39 am

Agree with most of you guys, based on his play last year with Lebron next to him he was top 10. Based on what I think he'll do and what he's shown in the pre-season this year;

- Slow first step
- Can't pass by anyone
- Jumper is off
- Defense is atrocious
- Isn't our focal point on offense
- Seems disinterested

We could be lucky if they're is only 36 players better than him. I'm hoping that we can put that all down to being pre-season games, but I'm starting to think he just doesn't have it anymore which makes me really sad.
DWadeno3
RealGM

Post#10 » by DWadeno3 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:49 am

Pure_Basketball wrote:Agree with most of you guys, based on his play last year with Lebron next to him he was top 10. Based on what I think he'll do and what he's shown in the pre-season this year;

- Slow first step
- Can't pass by anyone
- Jumper is off
- Defense is atrocious
- Seems disinterested

We could be lucky if they're is only 36 players better than him. I'm hoping that we can put that all down to being pre-season games, but I'm starting to think he just doesn't have it anymore which makes me really sad.

So within one summer he drops from being a top 10 player to barely a top 40 player? And you don't think a lot of the problems you mention are a result of this being preseason?

#HeatLifer
Pure_Basketball
Head Coach
And1: 6,375

Post#11 » by Pure_Basketball » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:03 am

DWadeno3 wrote:
Pure_Basketball wrote:Agree with most of you guys, based on his play last year with Lebron next to him he was top 10. Based on what I think he'll do and what he's shown in the pre-season this year;

- Slow first step
- Can't pass by anyone
- Jumper is off
- Defense is atrocious
- Seems disinterested

So within one summer he drops from being a top 10 player to barely a top 40 player? And you don't think a lot of the problems you mention are a result of this being preseason?

Natural ageing and losing the best player in the world does that to you yeah.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,643

Post#12 » by DayofMourning » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:14 am

I've no problem with Wade being ranked there. Health is a major determining factor. Wade's knees are bad. He has made his living off his athleticism, and hasn't exactly added a reliable jump shot, or 3 point game. My final criticism would be to stop bitching at the refs every single call and get back on defense. That's a major negative for me.

He's one of the best players I've ever seen play, but I've also seen him regress greatly over the last couple years. Still a darn good player, but not consistently great any more.
Sonny Carson
Head Coach
And1: 3,726

Post#13 » by Sonny Carson » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:15 am

ESPN is a joke. But what else is new.
DWadeno3
RealGM

Post#14 » by DWadeno3 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:44 am

Pure_Basketball wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:

- Slow first step
- Can't pass by anyone
- Jumper is off
- Defense is atrocious
- Seems disinterested

Natural ageing and losing the best player in the world does that to you yeah.

Damn, I didn't know one could age that much in one summer. I guess only the regular season will tell.

#HeatLifer
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#15 » by EscapoTHB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:33 pm

Wade was great last year. He missed a lot of games but it was because the team was over cautious. Should be fine this year. Probably start slow tho.
Vincent_Askew
Banned User
And1: 247

Post#16 » by Vincent_Askew » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:59 am

[quote="heat4life"
Fans love youth and promise (Ennis is a good example on our boards) and as soon as the masses see signs of big time potential, they tend to rate such young player higher than the seasoned veteran.[/quote]

Fans also love and instinctively overvalue name recognition & past achievements, making them a year or two too late on catching up the reality about a once great player being and how he is a shell of his former self.
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#17 » by EscapoTHB » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:43 am

Vincent_Askew wrote:[quote="heat4life"
Fans love youth and promise (Ennis is a good example on our boards) and as soon as the masses see signs of big time potential, they tend to rate such young player higher than the seasoned veteran.

Fans also love and instinctively overvalue name recognition & past achievements, making them a year or two too late on catching up the reality about a once great player being and how he is a shell of his former self.[/quote]

19/5/5 on 55 percent shooting in 32 minutes a game. If Wade's name was Klay Thompson people would be freaking out.
thinktellectual
Rookie
And1: 726

Post#18 » by thinktellectual » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:04 am

EscapoTHB wrote:
Fans love youth and promise (Ennis is a good example on our boards) and as soon as the masses see signs of big time potential, they tend to rate such young player higher than the seasoned veteran.

Fans also love and instinctively overvalue name recognition & past achievements, making them a year or two too late on catching up the reality about a once great player being and how he is a shell of his former self.

19/5/5 on 55 percent shooting in 32 minutes a game. If Wade's name was Klay Thompson people would be freaking out.[/quote]

The ranking is probably not based on averages, but on total production.
It wouldn't be that surprising if Wade missed again a bunch of games, and without Lebron his averages won't look this good anymore.

I don't think next season is gonna be kind to Wade.
It's sad that his knees are betraying the 2nd best SG of all time, but he didn't exactly help his cause by not adding a 3p shot to his game.
Vincent_Askew
Banned User
And1: 247

Post#19 » by Vincent_Askew » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:49 am

EscapoTHB wrote:

19/5/5 on 55 percent shooting in 32 minutes a game. If Wade's name was Klay Thompson people would be freaking out.[/quote]

3rd option. Never guarded by the opponent's best perimeter defender, because that defender was on Lebron instead. He sat out tons of games and had more rest/recovery time, so when he did play he'd be nice and fresh unlike his opponents and teammates.

And so on and so forth.
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Post#20 » by goodboy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:56 am

Vincent_Askew wrote:
EscapoTHB wrote:

19/5/5 on 55 percent shooting in 32 minutes a game. If Wade's name was Klay Thompson people would be freaking out.

3rd option. Never guarded by the opponent's best perimeter defender, because that defender was on Lebron instead. He sat out tons of games and had more rest/recovery time, so when he did play he'd be nice and fresh unlike his opponents and teammates.

And so on and so forth.[/quote]

2nd option*

So him sitting out more games and that *recovery time* aka maintenance program was primarily a motive before the post-season or else he wouldn't a problem playing the games at all. It was a smart strategy to lock him up for the playoffs since we all knew Mia never cared for the reg.

If he actually played 90% of the reg season games, his stats would be higher, no doubt it. So your points are pretty much invalid in comparison to Klay.

And so on and so forth? Elaborate? Whats more to say? Meaning behind that term indicates more to this comparison, which I doubt you have.

Wade has already proven to be a great defender, I doubt he needs a comparison from a guy named Klay.
Bright

Return to Miami Heat