ImageImageImage

Shabazz Napier Watch

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Re: Shabazz Napier Watch 

Post#41 » by Maroko » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:10 pm

walk with me wrote:as far as shabazz defense go. I can't imagine it being any worse than someone like jameer nelson. They are comparable IMO in size and playing style (jameer may be a little more chunky) and jameer has been in the league for like 9 years and a very serviceable player at that.

Jameer was limited in defense but he got Howard (notice after Dwight left, he lost it all) and he was smart enough to put the opponent PG in an area where Dwight could help and contest/block the shot, we dont have that kind of player.
JLop
Analyst
And1: 7,833

Post#42 » by JLop » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:49 pm

Napier is a very good Point Guard and even as a rookie is already better than Mario and Cole. Shabazz is in the right place to improve his deficiencies. Pat Riley, Erik Spoelstra and the Heat's culture preaches defense. He has one special quality that will make all the difference in the world: his high basketball IQ. Napier is a very smart player and a winner. A winner will always find his way to the top. If in the next three or four months his defense becomes better by a 10% then we have a star player in our hands. And I believe that he will refine his game faster than we think. He will also be observing Norris Cole and the way he defends. In a different note, this year we enjoyed one of the larger selection of new talent that the NBA has seen in 30 years. And with Napier and Ennis, we have two players among the top 10 rookies in the preseason.
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#43 » by walk with me » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:52 pm

Maroko wrote:
walk with me wrote:as far as shabazz defense go. I can't imagine it being any worse than someone like jameer nelson. They are comparable IMO in size and playing style (jameer may be a little more chunky) and jameer has been in the league for like 9 years and a very serviceable player at that.

Jameer was limited in defense but he got Howard (notice after Dwight left, he lost it all) and he was smart enough to put the opponent PG in an area where Dwight could help and contest/block the shot, we dont have that kind of player.

Dwight hasn't been in a magic Jersey in a few years and jameer is still an NBA starter.
Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Post#44 » by Maroko » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:31 pm

walk with me wrote:
Maroko wrote:

Dwight hasn't been in a magic Jersey in a few years and jameer is still an NBA starter.

lol for which results ? They play the playoffs every year in a very competitive eastern conference
Mars
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,174

Post#45 » by Mars » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:21 pm

Shawne Williams was on The Ticket. Said the team’s given Napier the nickname “O.G. Shabazz” because his B-Ball IQ is off the charts and he carries himself like a vet who’s been here before.
GUTS™
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#46 » by walk with me » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:12 pm

Mars wrote:Shawne Williams was on The Ticket. Said the team’s given Napier the nickname “O.G. Shabazz” because his B-Ball IQ is off the charts and he carries himself like a vet who’s been here before.

I think I read that norris cole is our starting PG.

This tells me that chalmers will split time between back up 1 & back up 2 (behind wade). Which is great because that means we will see shabazz on the court a good amount. TBH I hope he works his way into the starting line up.
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Post#47 » by DefenseWins » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:17 am

Played some minutes against Wall and did very well, picked his pocket too

Nothing major but thats 1 all-star PG he has been again

Man him and Ennis... they have great chemistry off the bench together.
bushybrah_
Sixth Man
And1: 1,365

Post#48 » by bushybrah_ » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:02 am

DefenseWins wrote:Played some minutes against Wall and did very well, picked his pocket too

Nothing major but thats 1 all-star PG he has been again

Man him and Ennis... they have great chemistry off the bench together.

I hope he can keep it up. I see him contributing as a solid backup this year, making the most out of some good minutes. He and James Ennis would do well carrying the second unit.

Sent from my SGH-T599N using RealGM Forums mobile app
Mars
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,174

Post#49 » by Mars » Sun Nov 2, 2014 1:43 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoupNBA/status/528728469203877888[/tweet]
GUTS™
Rapaz
RealGM
And1: 39,052

Post#50 » by Rapaz » Sun Nov 2, 2014 5:12 pm

Shabazz's passing skills = :droop:
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,405

Post#51 » by RexBoyWonder » Sun Nov 2, 2014 7:54 pm

Who do guys see Napier becoming in his best case scenario?

He's pretty small but not as a athletic as Ty Lawson or Eric Bledsoe.

He looks like he can be a good shooter/scorer but not at Damian Lillard's level.

It's a bit too optimistic but to me looks from the Chris Paul mold - Smallish, smart, high IQ, great passing, gets steals, great handle, good shooter. obviously he's got a long way to go but my optimistic scenario would be a poor man's Chris Paul.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,405

Post#52 » by RexBoyWonder » Sun Nov 2, 2014 7:56 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:Who do guys see Napier becoming in his best case scenario?

He's pretty small but not as a athletic as Ty Lawson or Eric Bledsoe.

He looks like he can be a good shooter/scorer but at Damian Lillard's level.

It's a bit too optimistic but to me looks from the Chris Paul mold - Smallish, smart, high IQ, great passing, gets steals, great handle, good shooter. obviously he's got a long way to go but my optimistic scenario would be a poor man's Chris Paul.

Or maybe a Kyle Lowry with less strength? that's more accurate maybe.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
vincent
Rookie
And1: 150

Post#53 » by vincent » Sun Nov 2, 2014 10:06 pm

naw ...
Mike Bibby or the Good Mo Williams
I know I'm great at player comparison

Fun facts :
- The Miami Heat surpassed the Knicks in championships
- Only the Lakers, Bulls, Celtics and Spurs have more championships
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by DefenseWins » Sun Nov 2, 2014 10:37 pm

vincent wrote:naw ...
Mike Bibby or the Good Mo Williams
I know I'm great at player comparison

an NBA draft website actually has him as a Bibby comparison

I know that when we think of Mike Bibby, we think of him in 2011 and how bad he sucked

but young Mike Bibby was actually pretty solid. I don't know if Napier can shoot 3's the way Bibby did, but I would be fine with that comparison. YOUNG Bibby anyway.

Napier can be better at defense though, Napier has good instincts and can steal pretty well.
heatlespeatles
Head Coach
And1: 2,611

Post#55 » by heatlespeatles » Mon Nov 3, 2014 3:20 am

man Shabazz was horrible in summer league defensively. I don't have an issue with his defense now, maybe because he gets key steals

The kid has been good for us
cyclix
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,636

Post#56 » by cyclix » Mon Nov 3, 2014 3:41 am

he's doing real well in limited minutes thus far. I expect his contribution and minutes to expand as the season goes along. Could win ROY if all goes well.
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by DefenseWins » Mon Nov 3, 2014 3:51 am

cyclix wrote:he's doing real well in limited minutes thus far. I expect his contribution and minutes to expand as the season goes along. Could win ROY if all goes well.

nah a starter will definitely get it, and I'm not sure if Bazz will start. Depends on what happens to Cole I guess
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,612

Post#58 » by DayofMourning » Mon Nov 3, 2014 4:52 pm

cyclix wrote:he's doing real well in limited minutes thus far. I expect his contribution and minutes to expand as the season goes along. Could win ROY if all goes well.

He has too much competition in his role to compete for ROY. That award doesn't mean much though. If he contributes as he has been, then we are golden.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,450

Post#59 » by gom » Mon Nov 3, 2014 6:50 pm

That pass last night in the 4th quarter between the legs of the Toronto defender was magical. I want to see that again. Shabazz Napier is just fantastic to watch right now. He has one thing that we really needed: he sees the way to get shots when nothing is apparent.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#60 » by Zombiesonics » Mon Nov 3, 2014 7:09 pm

He should get on first team all rookie. he plays a little like rondo, less of an athlete/specimen but a better shooter. gets rebounds, damn near elite vision, steals.

its so funny nobody talking about how he's been the most impressive rookie but everybody ( ethan skoldick) was quick to trash him post summer league. this guy can play 17-20 mpg on a legit contender, he's sporting a godly TS%. He will be very unselfish, you can tell he knows who runs this team. he always gets the ball to bosh or wade, knows the playbook front and back ( resets off of Orebounds, calls up the set).

Return to Miami Heat