ImageImageImage

BIRCH GOT WAVED (IM SUPER MAD)

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Montro25
Ballboy
And1: 2

BIRCH GOT WAVED (IM SUPER MAD) 

Post#1 » by Montro25 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:12 pm

That dude was a complete Rim Protector/ Defender/ Team Player!!
I know he couldn't shoot... but damn it he was doing way more than Shannon Brown ever did!!! He put a lot of effort and was a good Impact player in our floor!
We'll miss him much!
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Re: BIRCH GOT WAVED (IM SUPER MAD) 

Post#2 » by DefenseWins » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:17 pm

i think if Birch was like 230-240lbs they would have kept him

He was a great energy guy and I hope be packs weight so we can give him another shot

He wouldn't have been able to defend ppl 1vs1 but he got rebounds. But it was in preseason lol. Man he really impressed me but I did want Dawkins too, I didn't think they would keep Dawkins tho cause he was a rookie and we had enough rookies
insfo
General Manager
And1: 11,299

Post#3 » by insfo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:01 pm

I think in the end, it was decided that Dawkins was more polished at his skill (3 pt shooting) than Birch (defense) was and hence would be more likely to be picked up by other teams.

Also helps that 3pt shooting is our weakest skill in the current team.
JLop
Analyst
And1: 7,833

Post#4 » by JLop » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:13 pm

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who feels this way. This is what Ira Winderman has to say:

"Like Tyler Johnson, Drew and possibly Jones, Birch is expected to be offered the opportunity to join the Heat's NBA Development League team, the Sioux Falls Skyforce. The Heat paid the shot-blocking power forward out of Nevada-Las Vegas a $50,000 guarantee to attend training camp.

While Brown survived the cut to 15, it could be argued that Birch had the most impressive preseason of the Heat rookies outside of Ennis and Napier. He appeared in six exhibitions, averaging 1.5 points, 5.5 rebounds and 1.17 blocks, as well as one assist and one steal, in an average of 16.9 minutes.
"

I would not be surprised if after December 15 we make some trades and decided to sign Khem Birch to a 10 days contract.
Heat_Fan_87
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#5 » by Heat_Fan_87 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:41 pm

not sure why brown is on this team. not to late to cut brown and get birch back
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Post#6 » by goodboy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:27 am

Sigh.

Hopefully he gets signed to our affiliate d-league team and progress from there and maybe hopefully make the roster.
Bright
Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,672

Post#7 » by Sign5 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:10 am

I'm surprised, thought Birch was a lock looking like a better version of Joel. Not impressed with Hamilton at all but w.e.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,171

Post#8 » by dolphinatik » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:28 am

Dawkins wont play. Terrell Harris 2.0

This is part of why Lebron left, he was upset at several moves including trading our only rim protection in Joel Anthony. When we get killed in rebounding and lack rim protection and get exploited in a big game like the Spurs did to us in the finals then no complaining.

I thought we were reinventing our approach to the game. There are a few on the roster that offer no upside yet we waive a 22 yo "healthy" young big eager to hustle for us. Which career ending injured vet will we pick up next?
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
insfo
General Manager
And1: 11,299

Post#9 » by insfo » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:55 am

lol ... did I really read that LeBron left because we traded away Joel freakin Anthony??
Heat_Fan_87
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#10 » by Heat_Fan_87 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:49 am

insfo wrote:lol ... did I really read that LeBron left because we traded away Joel freakin Anthony??

a big reason he left was the trading of mike miller, not joel.

but yea, for a franchise that preached loyalty to lebron...LOL
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,432

Post#11 » by RexBoyWonder » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:50 am

I'll reserve my anger until Birch gets picked up by another team. Still hoping we develop him and bring him back.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#12 » by heat4life » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:30 pm

Please. Lebron left because that is what he wanted to do. There might be a myriad of personal reasons but none under the control of the Heat organization. Keep buying the PR crap Lebron's "familia" keeps trying to push to the media. Was Lebron's happy when Miller or Anthony got traded? Probably not, but that is the business in the NBA and him leaving has nothing to do with it. People are quick to grab onto storylines because the world needs to make sense to them. We don't have to understand everything you know.

As for Birch, when did he become Alonzo Mourning? The kid has a talent I agree and he needs A LOT of development still. He was not getting any PT with the Heat NBA roster and if he accepts the assignment, he will get the PT to develop with Heat coaches in a Heat system. Like it or not, Brown is a more seasoned veteran at a spot we need depth. He played well defensively in preseason. Dawkins made the roster but he is not ready either. Maybe down the road these players get the call with more development, no need to be mad over the 15th roster spot.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,672

Post#13 » by Sign5 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:36 pm

Lol at the notion of LeBron being upset because Joel fking Anthony was gone. :lol:
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#14 » by Heat_team02 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Who"s going to start the "We Want Birch!" chants during home games anytime Brown enters the game?

Our new rim protector will be the White Zoro but he can't really jump so thanks Spo we really wanted this.

Birch was cut to give Haslem (Nepotism) playing time plain and simple. Hope Spo gets peppered with questions on this one. If you keep Brown, isn't he the same position as Dawkins (guard)? Who's going to get those minutes?

Still can't believe we cut a rim protector and active rebounder for a guard that can't shoot. A guard that was a free agent and not wanted on any other team.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Heat_team02
RealGM

Post#15 » by Heat_team02 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:18 pm

Sign5 wrote:Lol at the notion of LeBron being upset because Joel fking Anthony was gone. :lol:

1)

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/mike_mancias

2)

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf ... ed_le.html

3)

http://nypost.com/2014/06/20/why-lebron ... right-now/

edit: A draft pick was used in trading Joel Anthony for Toney Douglas.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#16 » by RexBoyWonder » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:26 pm

Heat_team02 wrote:Who"s going to start the "We Want Birch!" chants during home games anytime Brown enters the game?

Our new rim protector will be the White Zoro but he can't really jump so thanks Spo we really wanted this.

Birch was cut to give Haslem (Nepotism) playing time plain and simple. Hope Spo gets peppered with questions on this one. If you keep Brown, isn't he the same position as Dawkins (guard)? Who's going to get those minutes?

Still can't believe we cut a rim protector and active rebounder for a guard that can't shoot. A guard that was a free agent and not wanted on any other team.

I agree with all of this except the Haslem part, sure Spo loves him but come on.
Heat_team02
RealGM

Post#17 » by Heat_team02 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:32 pm

Nepotism;
The practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

The charge stands. Haslem as a free agent would probably have been picked up near the start of the season for the min.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,201

Post#18 » by BBallFreak » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:32 pm

dolphinatik wrote:Dawkins wont play. Terrell Harris 2.0

This is part of why Lebron left, he was upset at several moves including trading our only rim protection in Joel Anthony. When we get killed in rebounding and lack rim protection and get exploited in a big game like the Spurs did to us in the finals then no complaining.

Wait, what?

Sorry, but Birdman averaged 1.3 blocks a game last year in 19.4 minutes. Joel's career high? 1.4 blocks a game. With James and while playing meaningful minutes, he averaged 1.3 blocks per game in 21.1 minutes.

Joel Anthony does nothing, literally nothing, better than Chris Anderson. Hell, Bosh averaged 1.4 blocks a game two years ago, and 1 block a game last year.

As for the link Heat_Team02 posted, it suggests that James was upset about the draft pick being used to get rid of Joel, not Joel. Really, the Mike Miller thing had far more to do with LeBron leaving than Joel Anthony. Anthony was a smart move, Mike Miller was not. Refusing to use our MLE was not a smart move.
Heat_team02
RealGM

Post#19 » by Heat_team02 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:37 pm

Remember the the Ghost of Anthony Carter. Rewarded for his loyalty. Nep.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#20 » by RexBoyWonder » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:44 pm

October 26, 2014

Q: I don't understand Saturday's move. I'd rather they waived Justin Hamilton or Shannon Brown than Khem Birch. The kid is a good blocker/rebounder. -- Joe.

A: As I say in almost all these cases, the coaching staff and the front office see these players far more than anyone on the outside, for far longer periods than what we're exposed to during preseason games. Based on their exposure during the preseason, I would rank the finalists for the 15th and final roster spot, in order, as 1. Birch, 2. Andre Dawkins, 3. Justin Hamilton (in his limited sample, and appreciating the time he has put in) and 4. Brown. But the reality is there is nothing proven beyond Dwyane Wade at shooting guard, so with Mario Chalmers swinging over and with Brown and Dawkins, it essentially is depth by quantity if not necessarily quality. My concern is that Josh McRoberts is recovering from his toe surgery and Chris Andersen isn't getting any younger. So without Birch, it basically means cycling back in the power rotation to Udonis Haslem. (And maybe that was the plan, all along.) But an exhale also is needed here: It's never, ever, is about a team's 14th and 15th men. If the top eight or nine aren't good enough, nothing else will matter. And while many choose to talk about the need for a development program, this still is a team carrying three rookies and a point guard who is about to become a regular-season starting presence for the first time.

Q: This team lacks size and rebounding, not to mention shot-blocking. What's the thought process here? -- Samuel.

Q: Rebounding is going to need to be addressed at some point. The Heat get killed on the boards. -- Jason.

A: And won back-to-back championships while ranked at the bottom and near the bottom of the league in rebounding. Small ball isn't going away. And the Heat still will bypass offensive rebounds in order to get back on defense. This is how this team is built, how it plays, how it is coached. "No rebounds/no rings" is catchy, but hasn't always been the Heat's truth. We'll have to see how it resonates in the post-LeBron James era.

Return to Miami Heat