ImageImageImage

No Rookie Extension for Cole; Becomes RFA this summer

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

JLop
Analyst
And1: 7,833

Re: No Rookie Extension for Cole; Becomes RFA this summer 

Post#21 » by JLop » Sat Nov 1, 2014 8:11 pm

KingDavid wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-lebron-is-wielding-an-influence-never-before-seen-in-the-nba-165754734.html
...childhood friend-turned agent, Rich Paul, oversees Klutch Sports, a Cleveland-based agency that exists out of the generosity of its financial benefactor, LeBron James. These are James’ resources and might behind the company, but he lets his buddies run it. Klutch represents Cavaliers forward Tristan Thompson, who has a decided advantage as a James underling to negotiate a better-than-market value deal with the Cavaliers.

Most agents and business associates of key Cavaliers players are on full alert to keep clients out of the tentacles of Klutch. The Klutch sales pitch has been predictable: Come with us, get paid with the Cavaliers.

..Only one thing had changed from when James had left the Cavaliers four years ago: This time, he had two championships. Once you’ve won, everything is easily explained away. His free-agent performance this summer wasn’t so much different than 2010, only seen through a new prism. James empowered Paul to drag several teams to Klutch’s offices in Cleveland for free-agent presentations without the free-agent star present. Once those meetings were over, leaked to the public, the teams sheepishly realized: We were had.

“Just used as props to get attention and publicize their business,” one league executive told Yahoo Sports. “Maybe that’s smart to some people, but you have to deal with the same people again and again in this league. Those things can come back on you eventually.”
Be wary...

Remember the whole fiasco with PHX and Eric Bledsoe? Same group...

... And Rich Paul keeps going and going. What a way to burn his bridges! Good article, David.
UD4MVP
Veteran
And1: 3,091

Post#22 » by UD4MVP » Sat Nov 1, 2014 8:16 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:None of us even knows if Cole can be a legit starting PG.

By legit in mean being top 25 PG in the NBA.

Our own coaching staff don't know for sure either, that's the point of postponing the decision about him till the summer.

If Napier looks impressive, or if we can get Reggie Jackson for a good price (he wants out of Westbrooks shadow) Norris will probably be gone, Unless he really makes a big jump this year. We'll see.

With Rio settling ina backup SG. trading Cole might be unnecessary. Better to just see how things develop.
I was just thinking about the Reggie Jackson situation, his comments indicate he clearly wants a starting gig. I like him alot as a player he's been very productive when Westbrook's out. How much do you think is a good price? I won't be surprised if they trade him like Harden and Jeff Green.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,432

Post#23 » by RexBoyWonder » Sat Nov 1, 2014 10:00 pm

UD4MVP wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:None of us even knows if Cole can be a legit starting PG.

By legit in mean being top 25 PG in the NBA.

Our own coaching staff don't know for sure either, that's the point of postponing the decision about him till the summer.

If Napier looks impressive, or if we can get Reggie Jackson for a good price (he wants out of Westbrooks shadow) Norris will probably be gone, Unless he really makes a big jump this year. We'll see.

With Rio settling ina backup SG. trading Cole might be unnecessary. Better to just see how things develop.
I was just thinking about the Reggie Jackson situation, his comments indicate he clearly wants a starting gig. I like him alot as a player he's been very productive when Westbrook's out. How much do you think is a good price? I won't be surprised if they trade him like Harden and Jeff Green.

PG is the deepest position in the league, almost every team has a quality PG on the roster, or a good prospect they're developing. So I don't think we'll have much competition.

Since he spend time in Oklahoma, im sure he'd like a more lively city to live in. Since he's used to wining, that could play a factor too.

Considering the raising of the cap and his young age (he's 24, Cole is 26), I think around 7-8 per year is a good deal for us.

but Ideally Cole or Napier prove to be a quality starting PG and we get the Center we needed for years.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#24 » by EscapoTHB » Sun Nov 2, 2014 4:07 am

Hopefully he will play good enough to get us a center in a trade
Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Post#25 » by Maroko » Sun Nov 2, 2014 11:27 am

No way we can get Reggie Jackson, he wants to get paid specially after seeing how much Kemba Walker get a 4 year / $48 million contract and OKC can still match any offer (not sure over $10 million)

Finally Chalmers contract doesnt look so bad $4 Million and he is playing great so far at backup SG

Cole will show this year he can be a good PG but i will be ok to trade him for a good center with good hands
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#26 » by gom » Sun Nov 2, 2014 6:58 pm

In my opinion, it was a lot more likely for Cole to be traded, if we had signed him to a contract extension. Right now he is an RFA in July. If he had signed an extension, he would be worth more to the Heat as a trade piece, especially if he were extended for 4 years (past the NBA ceiling adjustment when all salaries will increase).

Therefore, I believe the chances are good that he stays with us until next June and then we will evaluate what he has to offer versus what we already have. It's clear at least to me that Napier is our PG of the future. The passing game is impressive and once his jump shot and defense improve (with good coaching) we may have an all-star player at PG. If Cole plays well though I think we should match any offer to 4M a year, which is a respectable salary for a backup PG and he will get good playing time.

Also, I think there is no way that we trade Chris Andersen. That’s stupid. Birdman is one of our most popular players and a hard worker.

I do wonder if with OKC's injury problems we might be able to trade Chalmers (who has a 2 year contract) for Mitch McGary. OKC needs backup at the guard position and we could use a young talent with potential at center. I'm against adding draft picks to make the deal happen, but we might be able to offer OKC to swap first round draft picks in the future. I think we won't be giving up much (with Westbrook and Durant back they will sizzle). If Cole plays well and Dawkins (or even Johnson) emerges as a good backup SG, we still have Shannon Brown. I don't see Mario Chalmers getting much playing time unless there is an injury. If there is an injury to Wade, we also have Granger or Ennis to play at the SG position. Thoughts?
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#27 » by RexBoyWonder » Sun Nov 2, 2014 7:48 pm

Trading 36 YO Birdman is stupid but trading Rio which we drafted and fits our need at SG behind Wade is doable?

OKC aren't doing that trade anyway, but if Rio keeps his good play as a scorer of the bench he might become good trade bait. But not for a quality Center.
theFRANCHISE
Sixth Man
And1: 354

Post#28 » by theFRANCHISE » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:35 am

Sign5 wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:We still control him next year, so it's fine IMO. If he steps up and shows he's our starter for the future, we'll match the offers he'll get.

I doubt he gets big overpaying offers from other teams, Almost every team has a PG at Cole's level or better.

Good decision by front office.

Exactly, Heat have one of the worst PG rotation in the league(if not THE worst), the nba is saturated with stud speedy PGs. Then you have Eman Mudiay who is projected to go #1 or #2 in the draft so that means the league will have yet another stud PG.

Rich Paul can't dick around Riley this time around.

you haven't seen the Lakers PG rotation Lin, Ronnie Price, ghost of Steve Nash
"You could call it with braille!" - Chick Hearn
Rock Hardy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,868

Post#29 » by Rock Hardy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:57 am

Cole will figure it out. He's a smart kid. He's just struggling. I'm not worried. Besides, if he can't turn it around, he's gone.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#30 » by gom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:28 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:Trading 36 YO Birdman is stupid but trading Rio which we drafted and fits our need at SG behind Wade is doable?

OKC aren't doing that trade anyway, but if Rio keeps his good play as a scorer of the bench he might become good trade bait. But not for a quality Center.

Yes, trading Birdman is stupid. In decisive games, he brings energy and force into the game. If you've been watching the team since Chalmers joined, then you know what Birdman has done. He is a great clutch player.

Trading Mario Chalmers - even after a good night - is something we should consider. I've seen too many Mario Chalmers moments that help bring about losses. On the other hand, it could be that he has a great transformation. Nothing is impossible. Probably, Napier is our starting PG though and we need to find a SG to bring up behind Wade. We have two decent prospects in Johnson and Dawkins.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#31 » by RexBoyWonder » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:55 am

theFRANCHISE wrote:
Sign5 wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:We still control him next year, so it's fine IMO. If he steps up and shows he's our starter for the future, we'll match the offers he'll get.

I doubt he gets big overpaying offers from other teams, Almost every team has a PG at Cole's level or better.

Good decision by front office.

Exactly, Heat have one of the worst PG rotation in the league(if not THE worst), the nba is saturated with stud speedy PGs. Then you have Eman Mudiay who is projected to go #1 or #2 in the draft so that means the league will have yet another stud PG.

Rich Paul can't dick around Riley this time around.

you haven't seen the Lakers PG rotation Lin, Ronnie Price, ghost of Steve Nash

You haven't seen Cole if you think he's better then Lin. And you say this after last night's games? :roll:
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#32 » by EscapoTHB » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:14 pm

One of rio or cole has got to go. Spo closes all the games with Napier. That pretty much tells you who our pg is right now. Maybe trade Cole for a more legit backup 2 and some second round picks?

What about Cole for Waiters lol?
aquaadverse
Banned User
And1: 154

Post#33 » by aquaadverse » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:52 pm

EscapoTHB wrote:One of rio or cole has got to go. Spo closes all the games with Napier. That pretty much tells you who our pg is right now. Maybe trade Cole for a more legit backup 2 and some second round picks?

If it's a decent backup SG, it makes more sense to trade Chalmers and you aren't getting any picks.
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Post#34 » by DefenseWins » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:22 pm

EscapoTHB wrote:One of rio or cole has got to go. Spo closes all the games with Napier. That pretty much tells you who our pg is right now. Maybe trade Cole for a more legit backup 2 and some second round picks?

Lmao, they do need a back up PG. They'd want a pick or something for him though, or another player

but Waiters is a chucker, doesn't fit in our offense. I saw him trying to pass the other night, because thats what they are trying to do. I've never seen a guy look so uncomfortable passing the ball, because he is so use to jacking up shots lmao

I don't know any legit back up 2's out there that is worth Cole. Maybe someone that is expiring as well, so we can get someone in free agency next year. Unless we actually use Dawkins next year.
Alize
Senior
And1: 283

Post#35 » by Alize » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:03 pm

lol f*** Rich Paul
I_amWEB
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#36 » by I_amWEB » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:32 pm

Must be waiting to see if Naiper could be their new starting PG, but they should keep Cole
Slot Machine
Head Coach
And1: 4,558

Post#37 » by Slot Machine » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:47 pm

Just so everybody is aware, Cole has little to no value in trades.
The Bunk wrote:God I hate this fraudulent clown.

I've never wanted to punch someone in the face so badly. Really hoping to run into him at a game one day. I won't hesitate.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#38 » by RexBoyWonder » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:14 pm

What can you really say. He's a good kid, works hard, just not a good NBA player. He's playing himself into a veteran's minimum salary.

IIRC our front office targeted Reggie Jackson in that draft, but OKC got him a few picks a head of us and we settled for Cole. Jackson would've been nice here right about now.

To make things worse Jimmy Butler actually got picked at #30. Cole was the #28 pick.

Isaiah Thomas was #60. Just crazy.
HEATVols865
General Manager
And1: 6,694

Post#39 » by HEATVols865 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:45 pm

This is Riles plan:
Hype up Cole
Drive his value
LeBron notices it and wants it
Cole's price is driven up
We give up
Cavs overpay him
Riles lights up a cigar with 2016 written on it

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
#HEATLifer #VFL

You're welcome LeBron.

Tyler Herro is a TURD.
Bam is NOT elite but is getting better.
Fire Spoelstra!
Josh Heupel is coming for you.

I’m a proud admirer and lover of BBWs!

Formerly known as Brazilian, QueenOfFairies and HEATlanta.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#40 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:25 pm

I think there are plenty of PG's out there so if Cole wants too much money, there are better options. As far as Reggie Jackson, he is already asking for $12 mil plus. I really don't think he is worth that much. He is shooting horrendously right now and a bit overrated. He is a middle of the pack PG to me.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Miami Heat