ImageImageImage

OT: Sioux Falls Skyforce

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Re: Another D-Leaguer we should consider signing. 

Post#41 » by gom » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:39 pm

RJM wrote:Couldn't you have thrown this in the Sioux Falls/Regular Season thread?

He doesn't play for Sioux Falls. He plays for LA Defenders. I could have put it in the Hassan Whiteside thread but that didn't seem the right place either. I think I've made 0 threads since I've been here, but if you think it's better here, I am fine with that. I just wanted people to be aware of the possibility.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
dancing2thabeet
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,681

Re: OT: Sioux Falls Skyforce 

Post#42 » by dancing2thabeet » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:21 pm

It's Dawkins, not Dawson.
orphicwhip wrote:
goodboy wrote:Man I got the flu, still will watch my team play though.

McBob shares the same mentality.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Re: Another D-Leaguer we should consider signing. 

Post#43 » by RJM » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:32 pm

gom wrote:
RJM wrote:Couldn't you have thrown this in the Sioux Falls/Regular Season thread?

He doesn't play for Sioux Falls. He plays for LA Defenders. I could have put it in the Hassan Whiteside thread but that didn't seem the right place either. I think I've made 0 threads since I've been here, but if you think it's better here, I am fine with that. I just wanted people to be aware of the possibility.

That's essentially our D-League thread.
gom

Post#44 » by gom » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:21 pm

dancing2thabeet wrote:It's Dawkins, not Dawson.

Thanks! I fixed it.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,432

Post#45 » by RexBoyWonder » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:17 pm

Honestly, Tyler Johnson > any of these fools.

Dawkins is a better shooter, Manny Harris is a better scorer,

TJ is just the better basketball player.

Kid is smart, plays within himself, versatile, athletic, young and still improving.

Give it time, you'll see.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
Dmcdani6
Analyst
And1: 5,291

Post#46 » by Dmcdani6 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:30 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:Honestly, Tyler Johnson > any of these fools.

Kid is smart, plays within himself, versatile, athletic, young and still improving.

I didn't think he was that good. You must really like him, I'll have to start paying attention.
gom

Post#47 » by gom » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:33 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:Honestly, Tyler Johnson > any of these fools.

Perhaps. I was looking for someone who could help now though.

I like Tyler Johnson too from the preseason and summer league games, however I think that Manny Harris is further along. He's older and stronger and is playing at a ferocious pace. Tyler has a lower turnover rate (far lower) and his assist to turnover rate is better than Manny's. However, Manny scores twice as much. Manny's 3 point shooting is much better too. Also, Manny has NBA experience already.

I'd love to see Tyler improve and be a solid contributing part of our team. Dawkins too. That would be exciting. I don't think that happens soon though. Manny Harris might be ready to help by playing SG as a backup for Chalmers if Wade is out.
Dmcdani6
Analyst
And1: 5,291

Post#48 » by Dmcdani6 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:55 am

@gom you might be onto something. He had a 19 point game with LA in feb of this year. Just can he D up is the question?
RJM
General Manager

Post#49 » by RJM » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:26 am

Dmcdani6 wrote:@gom you might be onto something. He had a 19 point game with LA in feb of this year. Just can he D up is the question?

That's a good question to ask. My research suggests he's about average, but there's room for improvement. As far as his scoring is concerned, there's no doubt that he can put it in the basket.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kye8uWQ34Yw[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXFtKPeQxUc[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vDu7Pis9yA[/youtube]

He can definitely score from anywhere on the floor. I'm surprised the Lakers didn't bring him back. I think it's a matter of opportunity and timing for him, really. Someone will need to have the room and the willingness to see what he can do on the floor for their team. Will it be Miami? Right now, with the players the HEAT are invested in, I don't know.
gom

Post#50 » by gom » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:33 am

Dmcdani6 wrote:@gom you might be onto something. He had a 19 point game with LA in feb of this year. Just can he D up is the question?

That game happened the night they told him they were waiving him. I guess I'm worried about our guard depth. I know Shannon Brown was not a solution, but if we get a couple injuries (to Wade & Chalmers for example) we are screwed. The only other choices are Ennis and Granger, so the question becomes can someone we find score at the position well (especially inside the paint), hit 3s reliably, AND play defense. I'm not sure Harris can do it, but I don't think Dawkins can. I'd love to be wrong, by the way.
gom

Post#51 » by gom » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:34 am

RJM wrote:

That's a good question to ask. My research suggests he's about average, but there's room for improvement. As far as his scoring is concerned, there's no doubt that he can put it in the basket.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kye8uWQ34Yw[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXFtKPeQxUc[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vDu7Pis9yA[/youtube]

He can definitely score from anywhere on the floor. I'm surprised the Lakers didn't bring him back. I think it's a matter of opportunity and timing for him, really. Someone will need to have the room and the willingness to see what he can do on the floor for their team. Will it be Miami? Right now, with the players the HEAT are invested in, I don't know.

Thanks for posting the videos!
RJM
General Manager

Post#52 » by RJM » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:56 am

Tyler Johnson left tonight's game vs. Maine with an injury. Birch is a nonfactor in the paint so far in the 4th.
RJM
General Manager

Post#53 » by RJM » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:59 am

Birch just took it inside against his opponent. Hit a soft hook.
RJM
General Manager

Post#54 » by RJM » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:22 am

Birch with the HUGE late-game block to preserve the lead over Maine, but Maine manages to score. Birch responds with a HUGE rebound and putback with 1.2 seconds left. On top of that, Birch contested Watford's potential game-winner, which finished short. CLUTCH. Skyforce win! Birch finishes with 11 points, 13 rebounds, and 3 blocks.

He made up for it. Fuquan Edwin had 18 points and 9 rebounds. Birch made up for his initial silence with big plays down the stretch and finished strong to secure SF's victory. Fantastic. I think if Miami continues to keep him close and work with him as he develops, he could potentially become something on the main roster. Khem Birch, that is.
gom

Post#55 » by gom » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:52 am

RJM wrote:Birch with the HUGE late-game block to preserve the lead over Maine, but Maine manages to score. Birch responds with a HUGE rebound and putback with 1.2 seconds left. On top of that, Birch contested Watford's potential game-winner, which finished short. CLUTCH. Skyforce win! Birch finishes with 11 points, 13 rebounds, and 3 blocks.

He made up for it. Fuquan Edwin had 18 points and 9 rebounds. Birch made up for his initial silence with big plays down the stretch and finished strong to secure SF's victory. Fantastic. I think if Miami continues to keep him close and work with him as he develops, he could potentially become something on the main roster. Khem Birch, that is.

I agree with this assessment. Birch has a lot of potential.I think he's there to learn to score. If we bring him back next year, he might stick.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#56 » by RexBoyWonder » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:27 am

I like Birche's skillset and energy, the issue is I can't see how he gets minutes here with S.Williams balling and Mcbob making big money (And playing regardless due to his contract).

Bosh is a PF playing Center, but we can't do it with Birch, he's too undersized against NBA Centers. He's a PF, a smaller Taj Gibson.

Our Roster is not well balanced right now :

Real PF's : Bosh, Haslem, S.Willams, Mcbob, (Birch)

Real Centers : Hamilton, (Whiteside).

It only makes sense if we continue to always play Bosh at Center and won't let him log minutes at PF, which I think is the biggest issue with our lack of rim protection and paint defense.

I guess the perfect development is if Birch turnouts to be a stud defender form the Serge Ibake mold, playing Bosh at Center next to him won't hurt as much.

But with S.williams and Mcbob around, when will Birch play.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,176

Post#57 » by dolphinatik » Mon Dec 1, 2014 4:05 am

if somehow Patrick Young clears waivers id love the Skyforce to try to pick him up. No room on the Heat roster but I would like to see Young compared to Birch and Shaun Jones
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
Myam333
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,909

Post#58 » by Myam333 » Mon Dec 1, 2014 7:34 am

dolphinatik wrote:if somehow Patrick Young clears waivers id love the Skyforce to try to pick him up. No room on the Heat roster but I would like to see Young compared to Birch and Shaun Jones

He could be the new Haslem when UD retires.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#59 » by RexBoyWonder » Mon Dec 1, 2014 1:48 pm

UDWade wrote:
dolphinatik wrote:if somehow Patrick Young clears waivers id love the Skyforce to try to pick him up. No room on the Heat roster but I would like to see Young compared to Birch and Shaun Jones

He could be the new Haslem when UD retires.

He really can't. He's a bad rebounder and bad shooter/scorer. He's Joel without the blocks. Birch > Young.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,176

Post#60 » by dolphinatik » Mon Dec 1, 2014 4:33 pm

Birch might be better than Young and he might not be better than Young which is why I would like us to get a good comparison. I see Shaun Jones as more a UD type.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington

Return to Miami Heat