ImageImageImage

OT: Sioux Falls Skyforce

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Re: OT: Sioux Falls Skyforce 

Post#141 » by RJM » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:55 am

Also, if Birch ever makes the team, he cannot be depended on to play center. He's just too thin.
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#142 » by Heat_team02 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:31 pm

That was a nice comeback last night at least Tyler is back in action and had some flashy/timely plays.

I agree with the assessment on Birch. He's not a Center and he's not the strongest Power Forward out there either. Shawn Jones had a nice game under the glass and is more physical than Birch.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UD4MVP
Veteran
And1: 3,091

Post#143 » by UD4MVP » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:50 am

We need to send cole, granger, and shawne to the D-league.
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Post#144 » by DefenseWins » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:21 am

RJM wrote:Also, if Birch ever makes the team, he cannot be depended on to play center. He's just too thin.

He plays out of position, idk why people play him at C...

Birch and Hassan would be a good D League front court lmao...

heck I'd rather see that **** than Williams-UD... seriously...
RJM
General Manager

Post#145 » by RJM » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:44 am

At this point, Miami can be anywhere from the lottery to a decent first round pick, meaning the following players are all possible draft/development selections.

First Round
- Trey Lyles
- Delon Wright
- Sam Dekker
- Cliff Alexander
- Willie Cauley-Stein
- Montrezl Harrell
- Christian Wood
- Andrew Harrison
- Nigel Williams-Goss

In the event that the pick really does go to Cleveland, there are still options to be had in the second round.

Second Round
- Andrew Harrison
- Mouhammadou Jaiteh
- Ryan Boatright
- Moussa Diagne
- Dakari Johnson
- Robert Upshaw

I had no idea who Robert Upshaw was until I realized that it was a 6'11, 260 lb center doing this.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8zfKVm24VQ[/youtube]

Yes, he's raw in many aspects, but my goodness. Interior defense, anyone?
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#146 » by DefenseWins » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:51 am

RJM wrote:At this point, Miami can be anywhere from the lottery to a decent first round pick, meaning the following players are all possible draft/development selections.

First Round
- Trey Lyles
- Delon Wright
- Sam Dekker
- Cliff Alexander
- Willie Cauley-Stein
- Montrezl Harrell
- Christian Wood
- Andrew Harrison
- Nigel Williams-Goss

In the event that the pick really does go to Cleveland, there are still options to be had in the second round.

Second Round
- Andrew Harrison
- Mouhammadou Jaiteh
- Ryan Boatright
- Moussa Diagne
- Dakari Johnson
- Robert Upshaw

I had no idea who Robert Upshaw was until I realized that it was a 6'11, 260 lb center doing this.

Our pick goes to philly cause we helped them get kevin love smh

Our pick is top 10 protected too so unless we miss the playoffs and are really really bad (won't happen with Wade and bosh here), we keep our pick. So forget the 1st round. Our 2nd round pick for this year will get no playing time and will take years to cultivate before he is sent over seas to never be seen again unless we are desperate so I wouldn't worry about that either
RJM
General Manager

Post#147 » by RJM » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:34 am

DefenseWins wrote:
RJM wrote:At this point, Miami can be anywhere from the lottery to a decent first round pick, meaning the following players are all possible draft/development selections.

First Round
- Trey Lyles
- Delon Wright
- Sam Dekker
- Cliff Alexander
- Willie Cauley-Stein
- Montrezl Harrell
- Christian Wood
- Andrew Harrison
- Nigel Williams-Goss

Second Round
- Andrew Harrison
- Mouhammadou Jaiteh
- Ryan Boatright
- Moussa Diagne
- Dakari Johnson
- Robert Upshaw

Our pick goes to philly cause we helped them get kevin love smh

Our pick is top 10 protected too so unless we miss the playoffs and are really really bad (won't happen with Wade and bosh here), we keep our pick. So forget the 1st round. Our 2nd round pick for this year will get no playing time and will take years to cultivate before he is sent over seas to never be seen again unless we are desperate so I wouldn't worry about that either

Maybe if LeBron were still here. Not anymore. I think management has shifted their approach, especially with the manner in which they've signed development projects and taken steps to ensure their own D-League team. I think Miami might actually do something substantive next summer like actually DRAFT someone in the second round.

I don't expect some of those guys to be first rounders, so if Miami can buy a second round pick, they could potentially head into summer league with a combo of Harrison and Johnson/Upshaw if either of them declare after this season. With Whiteside and Hamilton in tow, Miami is taking development seriously now. They didn't sign Whiteside to a two year deal just to watch him waste away.

With Sioux Falls as the official D-League affiliate, Miami can draft an Upshaw or someone like him and let him take the Ennis Route or stash him in the D-League without a hit on the roster count. This is all a hypothetical off course, but it's a reasonable direction the team can go in while still building a 2016 contender.
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#148 » by DefenseWins » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:41 am

They have signed d leaguers and rookies, but aren't developing them. The day journey men and old players are NOT ahead of the youth then I would agree on their approach. But it seems to me now these young guys are fillers til 2016. If they develop nicely, they are trade bait...
RJM
General Manager

Post#149 » by RJM » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:55 am

Speaking of HEAT development projects...

Tyler Johnson: 24 points, 4 rebounds, 7-13 FG, 2-4 3FG, 8-8 FT, 29 minutes;
Khem Birch: 20 points, 19 rebounds, 6 blocks, 4 assists, 34 minutes;
Larry Drew: 10 points, 14 assists, 6 rebounds, 42 minutes; and
Andre Dawkins: 16 points, 5 rebounds, 5-10 3FG, 34 minutes

These guys really really showed out tonight in a 122-120 loss to the Los Angeles D-Fenders.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqwRs21PZOg[/youtube]

I'd love to see Birch and Whiteside play alongside one another to see how they can wreak havoc on opposing guards and forwards trying to score in the paint.

Those two would be a PGs dream as far as lobs are concerned. Both Birch and Whiteside can elevate reasonably well enough to finish strongly.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,431

Post#150 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:18 am

Spo can talk about "understanding our system" until he's blue in the face, I'm telling you that if we played Birch and Whiteside instead of Haslem and Williams as soon as tomorrow, they will make our defense better immediately.

Monster game from Birch last night, 20/20 with 6 blocks, 4 assists, zero turnovers, 9-12 shooting. and the guy isn't ready for a few minutes here? you would think we had Charles Barkley playing as our PF. We've got 34YO Haslem and Williams.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
RJM
General Manager

Post#151 » by RJM » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:46 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:Spo can talk about "understanding our system" until he's blue in the face, I'm telling you that if we played Birch and Whiteside instead of Haslem and Williams as soon as tomorrow, they will make our defense better immediately.

Monster game from Birch last night, 20/20 with 6 blocks, 4 assists, zero turnovers, 9-12 shooting. and the guy isn't ready for a few minutes here? you would think we had Charles Barkley playing as our PF. We've got 34YO Haslem and Williams.

Let's tone down the whole "[new guy totally unfamiliar with our system] would be much better than [old guy not as effective as he used to be but knows our system like the back of his hand]" rhetoric. Whiteside is still clueless (as shown by the last time he played garbage minutes the other day), otherwise he'd be in there. It took time and opportunity to bring Hamilton along. That wasn't by accident. This is how Spo does it.
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#152 » by Heat_team02 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:10 pm

7pm ET

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__DSayBaJtY[/youtube]
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,431

Post#153 » by RexBoyWonder » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:42 am

Dawkins hit 12 3's. out of 15 attempts. Shot is legit.

Tyler Johnson with 31 and 9. More talented then Cole, more versatile, better shooter, bigger, younger, even more athletic when it comes to in-game impact.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
RJM
General Manager

Post#154 » by RJM » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:35 pm

Page Q just dropped some beautiful analysis on Whiteside.

http://mancave.cbslocal.com/2014/12/21/ ... iami-heat/

Hassan Whiteside is a specimen.

It’s what led to getting drafted 33rd overall by the Sacramento Kings in 2010 and it’s what led to Riley and the Heat taking a no-risk flyer. I’ve only watched him for the 23 minutes he’s played this season, but it’s safe to say Whiteside’s NBA career has been about chasing the potential manifested from his prototypical basketball frame. What Udonis Haslem could’ve been with that body.

Rewind back to early in the fourth quarter of a surprisingly competitive affair between the Wiz and Heat, and you’ll see what Whiteside has to offer. For him to stick in Erik Spoelstra’s thinning rotation, it all starts on the defensive end, an area where the Heat has reeked.

It’s not that Whiteside was doing anything extraordinary. It’s just that it’s more challenging to score inside against a man just five inches short of grabbing the rim standing flat-footed. He’s not a stiff and he’s a notable basketball swatter, having led the nation in blocks (5.4 BPG) in his one year at Marshall.

John Wall knows. Several times he revved up for the dribble drive only to circle back or reset the offense due to Whiteside’s tree-like presence. Wall is one of the most feared men off the dribble in the Association.

And so on. Go ahead. Read it. Miami actually has something to develop now.

Comes with videos too.
UD4MVP
Veteran
And1: 3,091

Post#155 » by UD4MVP » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:57 pm

RJM wrote:Page Q just dropped some beautiful analysis on Whiteside.

http://mancave.cbslocal.com/2014/12/21/ ... iami-heat/

Hassan Whiteside is a specimen.

It’s what led to getting drafted 33rd overall by the Sacramento Kings in 2010 and it’s what led to Riley and the Heat taking a no-risk flyer. I’ve only watched him for the 23 minutes he’s played this season, but it’s safe to say Whiteside’s NBA career has been about chasing the potential manifested from his prototypical basketball frame. What Udonis Haslem could’ve been with that body.

Rewind back to early in the fourth quarter of a surprisingly competitive affair between the Wiz and Heat, and you’ll see what Whiteside has to offer. For him to stick in Erik Spoelstra’s thinning rotation, it all starts on the defensive end, an area where the Heat has reeked.

It’s not that Whiteside was doing anything extraordinary. It’s just that it’s more challenging to score inside against a man just five inches short of grabbing the rim standing flat-footed. He’s not a stiff and he’s a notable basketball swatter, having led the nation in blocks (5.4 BPG) in his one year at Marshall.

John Wall knows. Several times he revved up for the dribble drive only to circle back or reset the offense due to Whiteside’s tree-like presence. Wall is one of the most feared men off the dribble in the Association.

And so on. Go ahead. Read it. Miami actually has something to develop now.

Comes with videos too.

I never saw Wall hesitate to drive in on us like that since he's been drafted. We definitely need to develop this kid Whiteside.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,154

Post#156 » by dolphinatik » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:11 pm

sorry but that guy wrote an article and has no idea who Whiteside is or what happened to him why he is not making a second come around to the NBA. He only watched one game, didnt bother to get a back story or watch other film on him and he wanted to wite an article? weird.

Wall hesitated because they do not have a scouting report out on Whiteside yet. They will when they have enough tape on him and can game plan how to attack him.

Still Whiteside would have been the perfect big for us when we had Lebron. Someone to grab rebounds, protect the rim and get putbacks and lobs. He is not someone that you need to run offense through or that needs the spotlight. Worst thing Spo can do to him is make him drift out of the paint to make room for guards to attack or make him defend the perimeter. Leave him in the middle where he is most effective.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
JLop
Analyst
And1: 7,833

Post#157 » by JLop » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Heat recall Andre Dawkins after 42-point D-League binge

The Miami Heat recalled guard Andre Dawkins from their NBA Development League affiliate in the wake of the undrafted rookie guard scoring 42 points Saturday night for the Sioux Falls Skyforce against the Texas Legends.

Dawkins shot 12 of 15 on 3-pointers in his breakout performance and 14 of 18 overall from the field. He was back in uniform Sunday with the Heat against the Boston Celtics at AmericanAirlines Arena.

"They told my agent a few days ago," Dawkins said of his return. "It was good to be able to get out on the court, be able to play."

Dawkins appeared in nine games, including three starts, with the Skyforce, averaging 25.6 points, 3.2 rebounds, 2.4 assists in 36 minutes per game, while shooting .528 from the field, .564 percent on 3-pointers and .758 percent from the foul line. He set the single-game Skyforce record for made 3-point field goals Saturday night, one shy from tying the NBA D-League record of 13, in the 138-126 victory over the Legends.

"This was the plan," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra, "to give him a handful of games down there."

Dawkins' previous highest-scoring performance for the Skyforce had been 28 points against the Canton Charge.

Spoelstra said the team had little doubt about Dawkins' ability as a shooter, with the focus of his D-League stint on upgrading his rebounding and defense.

"He took some strides in those areas," Spoelstra said.

Said Dawkins, "I think I got better each game,"

Dawkins was the lone player the Heat had on assignment to Sioux Falls at the time of his call-up. Heat training-camp cuts Tyler Johnson, Khem Birch and Shawn Jones also have played for Sioux Falls, but each of those three are available for call up by any NBA team.

The Heat previously this season had guard Shabazz Napier and center Hassan Whiteside on D-League assignment.

Dawkins continued to count against the Heat's NBA-maximum 15-player roster limit during his D-League stint, with the Heat again at the NBA maximum of 15.

Full article:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-andre-dawkins-s122114-story.html
JLop
Analyst
And1: 7,833

Post#158 » by JLop » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:05 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:Dawkins hit 12 3's. out of 15 attempts. Shot is legit.

Tyler Johnson with 31 and 9. More talented then Cole, more versatile, better shooter, bigger, younger, even more athletic when it comes to in-game impact.

How good is Tyler Johnson's defense? Johnson next to Wade could make a good duo. Dwyane could take care of the point guard duties and Tyler would take care of the defense.
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#159 » by DefenseWins » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:17 am

JLop wrote:

How good is Tyler Johnson's defense? Johnson next to Wade could make a good duo. Dwyane could take care of the point guard duties and Tyler would take care of the defense.

Not good enough for him to take on defensive assignments lol.
RJM
General Manager

Post#160 » by RJM » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:39 am

DefenseWins wrote:
JLop wrote:

Not good enough for him to take on defensive assignments lol.

Not yet. He has the physical tools to become a decent defender, and he was solid in summer league. There's a reason Miami wants him around. He can give you a little bit of everything, plus athleticism and shot-creation. On top of that, he's only 21, which is an asset especially considering the need for talented youth. He's only 190 pounds though, so he'll definitely have to bulk up some more to stick with the main roster.

Return to Miami Heat