ImageImageImage

OT: Sioux Falls Skyforce

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Re: OT: Sioux Falls Skyforce 

Post#441 » by heat4life » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:21 pm

RJM wrote:
heat4life wrote:
RJM wrote:
I'm not one to herald a roster cast-off like Mullens as the second coming of Jack Sikma (I'll never be that guy), but I think it's fair to say that he's much more talented and athletic than that White #7 stiff we have stealing money on that bench. I'd rather have a more talented player in Mullens shooting threes and moving around the floor in limited minutes than Hamilton any day. He's actually seven feet and doesn't have T-Rex arms.

I agree with your assessment in regards to the overall talent. However, while JHam has a limited ceiling due to athleticism/toughness, he is at least a hard worker and has a higher BBIQ limited only by his lack of athleticism. He is a Todd Fuller-type. With Mullens, while more skilled offensively and a bit more athletic, he is also a low BBIQ player with a questionable work ethic and sub par defense. Reminds me of Adam Morrison

I am all for giving Mullens a look at the NBADL level. Maybe something can be done, but as an organization, I am not ready to cut a hard working player (although athletically limited) for someone unproven like Mullens. It is not the type of example the team wants to deliver when they ask young players to work hard and allow themselves to be coached for a shot at valuable roster spot in the big leagues.

He might be a hard worker, but he doesn't contribute anything in his minutes. Not a consistent deep shooter, doesn't rebound, isn't athletic, gets chewed up and spat out by any competent big man, isn't much of a defender, and can't contend with any NBA-level talent otherwise. He's just not good enough. If that's the case, I'd rather someone with something that's NBA-worthy. His hard work doesn't produce anything on the floor because his talent isn't on par with anything or anyone. That's the reality of this guy.

Remember Juwan Howard? His value was eventually seen, explaining why he managed a roster spot for two years. White #7 doesn't really have any redeeming qualities from what I understand. Seems like he's just a placeholder a la Gerald Fitch in 2006 until something better comes around. Again, I'm not saying Mullens needs to replace Hamilton right away though. He just seems like a super-cheap call-up if Miami does move Cole/Hamilton if no one better is available.

I agree, we can do better with that spot than JHam. I am not advocating to keep him. All I am saying is that his only purpose on the roster right now is as a reward for the hard work he put in. As an organization, that resonates with the young guys. I do think the team replaces him when a more qualified option is available. JHam had his shot and fell short talent wise IMO.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
Dmcdani6
Analyst
And1: 5,271

Post#442 » by Dmcdani6 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:42 pm

Anyone like Fuquan Edwin as a Granger replacement?? He seems like a good "3 and D" guy, i'm on my phone or would post stats. Saw some pretty enticing stats about him thag sounded like something we could use.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#443 » by RJM » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:19 pm

heat4life wrote:
RJM wrote:
heat4life wrote:
I agree with your assessment in regards to the overall talent. However, while JHam has a limited ceiling due to athleticism/toughness, he is at least a hard worker and has a higher BBIQ limited only by his lack of athleticism. He is a Todd Fuller-type. With Mullens, while more skilled offensively and a bit more athletic, he is also a low BBIQ player with a questionable work ethic and sub par defense. Reminds me of Adam Morrison

I am all for giving Mullens a look at the NBADL level. Maybe something can be done, but as an organization, I am not ready to cut a hard working player (although athletically limited) for someone unproven like Mullens. It is not the type of example the team wants to deliver when they ask young players to work hard and allow themselves to be coached for a shot at valuable roster spot in the big leagues.

He might be a hard worker, but he doesn't contribute anything in his minutes. Not a consistent deep shooter, doesn't rebound, isn't athletic, gets chewed up and spat out by any competent big man, isn't much of a defender, and can't contend with any NBA-level talent otherwise. He's just not good enough. If that's the case, I'd rather someone with something that's NBA-worthy. His hard work doesn't produce anything on the floor because his talent isn't on par with anything or anyone. That's the reality of this guy.

Remember Juwan Howard? His value was eventually seen, explaining why he managed a roster spot for two years. White #7 doesn't really have any redeeming qualities from what I understand. Seems like he's just a placeholder a la Gerald Fitch in 2006 until something better comes around. Again, I'm not saying Mullens needs to replace Hamilton right away though. He just seems like a super-cheap call-up if Miami does move Cole/Hamilton if no one better is available.

I agree, we can do better with that spot than JHam. I am not advocating to keep him. All I am saying is that his only purpose on the roster right now is as a reward for the hard work he put in. As an organization, that resonates with the young guys. I do think the team replaces him when a more qualified option is available. JHam had his shot and fell short talent wise IMO.

I hear you. What might likely happen (if he isn't moved at the deadline) is that he isn't re-signed in the offseason when his deal expires.
cyclix
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,636

Post#444 » by cyclix » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:24 pm

They need to bring Khem Birch and his 24.0 PER | .246 WS/48 back
RJM
General Manager

Post#445 » by RJM » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:55 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76WEueT70Nk[/youtube]

Does anyone here remember my post about this prospect a little while back? Here's his scouting report.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,153

Post#446 » by dolphinatik » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Byron Mullens last game with Skyforce 3/4 from deep for 19 points 6 boards 1 block 2 steals

Dawkins shot 2/12 from deep. Ouch

Scotty Hopson was on fire 13/17 for 34 points 10 rebounds. Still need to assert himself on defense.

Im intigued by Mullens and ex Arizona State C Jordan Bachynski - 7'2 Center career backup style skills
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#447 » by gom » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:18 pm

dolphinatik wrote:Byron Mullens last game with Skyforce 3/4 from deep for 19 points 6 boards 1 block 2 steals

Dawkins shot 2/12 from deep. Ouch

Scotty Hopson was on fire 13/17 for 34 points 10 rebounds. Still need to assert himself on defense.

Im intigued by Mullens and ex Arizona State C Jordan Bachynski - 7'2 Center career backup style skills

Bachynski would be great to pick up and develop behind Whiteside. If I recall correctly, the reason he didn't get drafted was because of back injuries. Hopson is a small forward, right? Funny they called up Walker instead.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Dmcdani6
Analyst

Post#448 » by Dmcdani6 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:57 pm

That what surprised me about the Walker call-up, Hopson seems to be better than Walker, and younger too? But maybe it's the 3p% that they liked.
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#449 » by Heat_team02 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:12 am

Dmcdani6 wrote:That what surprised me about the Walker call-up, Hopson seems to be better than Walker, and younger too? But maybe it's the 3p% that they liked.

I agree. I think it's the size factor as well. We already have TJ.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#450 » by heat4life » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:06 pm

Yeah, Miami needed frontcourt help and shooting this time. With the Dragic's, Wade, Chalmers, TJ and Napier, the backcourt should be OK for the rest of the season. At SF, we have Deng and Ennis who has struggled so far.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
RJM
General Manager

Post#451 » by RJM » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:00 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/236784/Scouting-Report-Henry-Walker

Henry Walker signed a 10-day contract with the Miami Heat out of the D-League and here is a scouting report on his game:

Situation: Formerly known as Bill Walker, the Kansas State product enters a new-look Miami organization. Pat Riley acquired Goran Dragic at the trade deadline to boost the backcourt, but the frontcourt took a hit when it was announced that Chris Bosh would miss time with a blood clot in his lung. With two roster spots open after the deadline, Walker was brought up out of the minor league affiliate Sioux Falls, joining former teammate Tyler Johnson on the NBA squad. Walker was a second round pick in 2008 and spent time with the Boston Celtics and New York Knicks during four NBA seasons. He’s spent the past two seasons playing in the D-League, Venezuela, and Philippines. The 27-year-old should see minutes off the bench immediately.

Size/Athleticism: The 6-foot-6, 220-pound small forward has a strong frame with good athleticism. Walker moves well and has underrated quickness for his bigger size.

Ballhandling: Walker doesn’t have a great handle, but does have the ability to attack the rim off the bounce. While he may not be a primary ballhandler, he can take the ball up the floor.

Shooting: Walker is a good catch-and-shoot threat. He’s averaging 3.1 made three-pointers per game while shooting 44.8% from deep. His best spot is at the top of the key, where he’s connected on 20-of-33 attempts (60.6%) this season.

Penetration: Walker can use jab steps or ball fakes out of the triple threat position and get to the rim. He uses his size and bulk to finish with contact.

Passing: Averaging 1.5 assists per game compared to just 0.9 turnovers, Walker is a decent passer that limits mistakes. He won’t be much of a playmaker, but won’t hurt a team in this area.

Defense: When dialed in, Walker is a solid defender that uses his size and length to stay in front. He can sometimes get out of his stance off the ball and get in trouble, but knows where to be as a help defender. Walker lacks elite lateral quickness but should be a decent wing defender in the NBA.

Rebounding: Walker is averaging 3.9 rebounds per game in Sioux Falls. He isn’t a standout in this area, but can sneak inside and pull one off the glass.

Versatility: Walker’s versatility should help Miami in the immediate future. He can play the shooting guard or small forward position, as he appears bigger than his 6-foot-6 frame suggests. There’s even a chance Walker can slide into the stretch four spot with the recent loss of Bosh. He has a chance to play three positions depending on who’s healthy or available.

Final Analysis: After playing 157 NBA games, Walker returns to the big stage for the first time since 2012. He’s showcased his ability to shoot it from deep in Sioux Falls and should add some depth for Miami. Walker should be penciled in as a small forward, but could be moved around to create bigger or smaller lineups.

Dude needs to shave that crap off his face. He's not homeless anymore. That's my hot take.
Heat_Fan_87
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#452 » by Heat_Fan_87 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:20 pm

looking forward to seeing more of Walker.
Dmcdani6
Analyst

Post#453 » by Dmcdani6 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:56 am

Hopson for 52 tonight. He's the only standout it seems.
Myam333
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,909

Post#454 » by Myam333 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:02 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MiamiHEAT/status/570441933568540672[/tweet]
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,153

Post#455 » by dolphinatik » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:30 am

didnt watch the game but im going to assume he still isnt playing defense which is sad because with his tools he would be amazing at it.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#456 » by SlowPaced » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:32 pm

I really like how effective we're using the Skyforce. All of the guys we brought in from D-League look promising.
dancing2thabeet
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,681

Post#457 » by dancing2thabeet » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:25 pm

dolphinatik wrote:didnt watch the game but im going to assume he still isnt playing defense which is sad because with his tools he would be amazing at it.

Maybe next year, after the summer camp with the Heat? We are stacked with young promising talent at wings already though.
orphicwhip wrote:
goodboy wrote:Man I got the flu, still will watch my team play though.

McBob shares the same mentality.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,431

Post#458 » by RexBoyWonder » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:47 pm

Hopson is not a NBA player, don't care if he scores 100 a game. He'll be great in Europe.

It's all about fit, 99% of Dleague players need to find a way to become NBA role players. Hopson plays like he wants to be D-Wade. He can't. He can't pass, Not really defending, can't shoot 3's. He's 27, he is what he is. That basically kills him as NBA prospect, no NBA offense is going to let him chuck 20 shots a game, he's not talented or efficient enough. At best he could become a Jordan Crawford type player, but there's a reason Crawford plays in China.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Post#459 » by DefenseWins » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:47 pm

Dmcdani6 wrote:That what surprised me about the Walker call-up, Hopson seems to be better than Walker, and younger too? But maybe it's the 3p% that they liked.

Walker has played in the NBA, plus his shooting. Hopson hasn't I don't think

Walker knows what to do, he is older and knows his game. I just wish he was taller lol, and better with his feet, his defense against fast guys is pretty bad
JLop
Analyst
And1: 7,833

Post#460 » by JLop » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:16 am

With the succes of Hassan Whiteside, Tyler Johnson and Henry Walker, Sioux Falls Skyforce (D-League) has to be full of requests from players around the world.

Return to Miami Heat