ImageImageImage

Heat To Sign Hassan Whiteside. Wow. + Some crazy stats

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,027

Re: Heat To Sign Hassan Whiteside. Wow. + Some crazy stats 

Post#1281 » by 3ballbomber » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:59 am

Mars wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/PBPjasonlieser/status/581140130720804864[/tweet]
...“I don’t want to reopen the stitches and have to stitch the hand back together,” he said. “That’s what it is. Probably two weeks to heal completely.”

That does not mean he will be out two weeks, but he probably will need at least a few more days before he can consider playing with a cast or wrap...

Link

I wouldn't rush him but i'm certain Heat org know what they're doing.
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
JLop
Analyst
And1: 7,833

Post#1282 » by JLop » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:41 am

Heat center Hassan Whiteside cleared to play

Hassan Whiteside came up big by being big for the Heat Sunday against the Nets.
(Jim Rassol / Sun Sentinel)
Hassan Whiteside came up big by being big for the Heat Sunday against the Nets.

Miami Heat center Hassan Whiteside has been cleared to play but it remains unknown if he will return for Tuesday's game against the San Antonio Spurs.

Coach Erik Spoelstra said a decision will be made sometime before tipoff. Whiteside has missed the past three games due to a lacerated hand.

"I'm not even going to ask until [Tuesday]," Spoelstra said. "I think it's way too early right now."

After Monday's practice, Whiteside sounded like he was willing to give it a try. He was limited during practice, but able to shoot jumpshots while wearing a bandage on his right hand. The injury occurred in the first half of last week's loss against the Milwaukee Bucks.

Whiteside jammed him hand on the rim while trying to block a dunk attempt.

"The pain went down some and the doctor cleared me [to return to basketball activity]," Whiteside said. "I won't be 100 percent but I can help the team by being a presence."

Spoelstra also said forward Luol Deng (knee), forward Michael Beasley (elbow), center Chris Andersen (calf) and guard Shabazz Napier (hip) are all game-time decisions. Each will be evaluated by team trainers before Tuesday's tipoff at AmericanAirlines Arena.

No longer fazed by injuries

The Heat were without five rotation players in Sunday's win against the Detroit Pistons. By now, they have grown immune to adversity.

Heat center Hassan Whiteside follows through on a dunk Sunday against the Clippers.
(Mark J. Terrill / AP)
Heat center Hassan Whiteside follows through on a dunk Sunday against the Clippers.

"It's to the point our skin is so thick we're really not fazed by who's in, who's out anymore," forward Udonis Haslem said. "We suit up with the guys that we got and we go out there and compete.

With injuries to Whiteside and Andersen, Haslem was forced to play center because of the limited amount of players. The Heat are already without Josh McRoberts and Chris Bosh, who were preseason starters before being lost for the season. McRoberts had season-ending knee surgery in December while Bosh was sidelined after the All-Star Break when he was diagnosed with blood clots on his lung.

The struggles have made their success even more rewarding. Despite the constant bouts with adversity, the Heat still hold the No. 7 spot in the Eastern Conference standings.

"It means a lot to this team," guard Dwyane Wade said. "… All the blows that we had, to be able to still be in this race competing, for us it's good."

Playing through pain

Wade, who had his knee drained a day before Sunday's game, said he doesn't expect to take off any games in the near future.

He sat last week's game against the Boston Celtics before playing against the Atlanta Hawks and Detroit Pistons.

He said it's tough to take "maintenance" games at this point in the season, especially with the Heat in the thick of the playoff race.

"It's certain games you come out and you say, 'I'm just going to try to do what I can,"' Wade said. "You surprise yourself. There are certain games you don't surprise yourself. You played worse than you thought you could. It's the nature of the game."

Full Article
Spoiler:
I hope you all have enjoyed this article as much as I did. And please, remember to visit the author's site.
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,027

Post#1283 » by 3ballbomber » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:29 am

From what he said about going out there and just be a presence for the team it sounds like he is willing to play vs Spurs. This will prob be a staff decision but it sounds like Hassan is ready to go.
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#1284 » by Temuhjan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:17 am

Given this is towards the end of the regular season, I would rather play it safe and have the Great White re-join us on the road trip this Thursday.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#1285 » by KingDavid » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:00 pm

Had a nice game last night. Hand is still banged up though
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,759

Post#1286 » by QUIZ » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:00 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/youngwhiteside/status/586622173604872193[/tweet]
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#1287 » by KingDavid » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:14 pm

Hassan should win MIP now that he's eligible.

Tweet in the post above that hassan retweeted says "i know jimmy butler went from alright to great, but hassan went from being waived to top-tier center" and i agree.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
Chalm Down
RealGM
And1: 132,753

Post#1288 » by Chalm Down » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:21 pm

I think it's pretty much Butler's award to lose now, but I still think Hassan deserves to win it, even with my homer glasses off. To go from being totally off the NBA radar to a starting center is just unprecedented.
Bishop45 wrote:"Let Iggie start the season brehs, was the wors that could happen"
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,941

Post#1289 » by DayofMourning » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:22 pm

Hassan as MIP would be a story I could support. Incredible story. These injuries this season must have been to offset the massive amount of luck we had in landing him.
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1290 » by QUIZ » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:34 pm

You don't have to dig too deep in the PER rankings to find Hassan Whiteside. According to ESPN, the Marshall product ranks sixth in that department with a PER of 26.25.

That is insane, considering that Whiteside, a second-round pick of the Sacramento Kings in 2010, hadn't set foot in the Association since April 2012 prior to his D-League call-ups with the Miami Heat this past December. In between, Whiteside spent time plying his trade and maturing in China and Lebanon before returning stateside to audition for teams around the NBA.

Since then, Whiteside has been nothing short of a revelation for the injury-and-defection-ravaged Heat. In 2015, Whiteside has averaged 13.3 points, 11.1 rebounds and 2.8 blocks while converting 62.7 percent of his field-goal attempts in 26.1 minutes per game. Along the way, Whiteside has racked up 19 double-doubles, four games of at least 20 rebounds and a triple-double with blocks against the Chicago Bulls.

Crazier still, Whiteside's performance has garnered the 25-year-old praise in comparison to Boston Celtics legend Bill Russell. But don't take my word for it; see what Bob Cousy, who won six championships with Russell, had to say about it.

"I have never said this in the 40 years since I retired, but he is the first big guy, not (Patrick) Ewing, (Hakeem) Olajuwon, Shaq (O'Neal), who reminds me defensively and on the boards of Russell," Cousy told the (Worcester) Telegram & Gazette's Bill Doyle. "He runs the floor well, he has excellent timing, he blocks shots and keeps them in play the way Russell did."

And Whiteside's done it all while earning a salary ($769,881, per Basketball-Reference.com) that, when accounting for inflation, is probably comparable to what Russell took home from the C's during the 1960s.

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1291 » by QUIZ » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:30 am

Hassan played well. :dontknow:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUWqdd7l5OM&spfreload=10[/youtube]

smartcane
Junior
And1: 259

Post#1292 » by smartcane » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:00 am

Does anyone think Whiteside, Bosh and McRoberts can play together(all three on the court at the same time)? While both bosh and Mcroberts play more like SF than PF ( the can play on the perimeter, shoot threes and pass) the big question is can either one guard a SF? Could we also just play a zone with those three together? I really would like to hear what you guys think.
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1293 » by QUIZ » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:52 am

smartcane wrote:Does anyone think Whiteside, Bosh and McRoberts can play together(all three on the court at the same time)? While both bosh and Mcroberts play more like SF than PF ( the can play on the perimeter, shoot threes and pass) the big question is can either one guard a SF? Could we also just play a zone with those three together? I really would like to hear what you guys think.

No they can't McBob is 6-10 he's not guarding any SF's. I expect to see a mix of Whiteside Bosh front court and Bosh McBob Front court. Whiteside at 5 when we want to go big and Bosh at the 5 when we want to space the floor.

DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Post#1294 » by DefenseWins » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:12 am

Hassan did all he could with one hand and this team still falters. They dont go to him enough either, even when he is balling out. Sucks about his hand, he is a better free throw shooter than this, it bothered him tonight
Jaxon
Rookie
And1: 862

Post#1295 » by Jaxon » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:33 am

Bosh could guard some small forward. McRoberts no.
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1296 » by QUIZ » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:11 am

Jaxon wrote:Bosh could guard some small forward. McRoberts no.

For extended periods? No way, it would completely wear him out. Imagine Bosh trying to guard Deng. It would be an awful mismatch.

smartcane
Junior
And1: 259

Post#1297 » by smartcane » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:14 am

qjz123 wrote:
smartcane wrote:Does anyone think Whiteside, Bosh and McRoberts can play together(all three on the court at the same time)? While both bosh and Mcroberts play more like SF than PF ( the can play on the perimeter, shoot threes and pass) the big question is can either one guard a SF? Could we also just play a zone with those three together? I really would like to hear what you guys think.

No they can't McBob is 6-10 he's not guarding any SF's. I expect to see a mix of Whiteside Bosh front court and Bosh McBob Front court. Whiteside at 5 when we want to go big and Bosh at the 5 when we want to space the floor.

I was wondering if bosh could guard the SF. He has bone in spurts in pick and role situation. Also I was wondering if a zone concept with whiteside in the back as a rim protector would work. They were talking about the three of them playing together on radio and one person just dismissed it but i wasn't if it was such a crazy idea.
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1298 » by QUIZ » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:02 am

Whiteside: 24pts 13rebs 5blks
Vucevic: 3pts 4rebs
Ownage.

QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1299 » by QUIZ » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:30 am

Goatside!!
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1WE1FJsLl0&spfreload=10[/youtube]

goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Post#1300 » by goodboy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:48 am

Goatside should've gotten 6bs
Bright

Return to Miami Heat