ImageImageImage

Bosh Out for the Season with Bilateral Pulmonary Embolism

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

JLop
Analyst
And1: 7,833

Re: Bosh Out for the Season with Bilateral Pulmonary Embolism 

Post#461 » by JLop » Tue Mar 3, 2015 8:04 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:There would be no point to bring Bosh back even if he were cleared to play. Any longtime Heat fan remembers what happened with Zo in 2001... it was a nice emotional lift, but his presence completely disrupted our chemistry, having guys playing out of position, changing the offense/defense, and we got destroyed by the Hornets in an embarrassing 3 game sweep.

Josh McRoberts and Chris Bosh have similar styles and both of them are left handed. McRoberts will be ready for the playoffs. This is something that will help this team to adapt with Chris Bosh. His presence will not disrupt our chemistry. Besides, Chris is under treatment but that doesn't mean that he can not attend to practice.
Mars
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,174

Post#462 » by Mars » Wed Mar 4, 2015 6:49 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/chrisbosh/status/573172263358468097[/tweet]
GUTS™
smartcane
Junior
And1: 259

Post#463 » by smartcane » Wed Mar 4, 2015 7:00 pm

JLop wrote:I heard that his treatment will take a minimum of 6 month. Even if we don't go far in the playoffs I am ok with that. This year we added Whiteside, Napier, Johnson and Dragic. That's a win for me. Next year the Heat are going to be among the favorites to be champions.

The treatment is not 6 months. It is 3-6 months depending of the patient. At 3 months he will be reevaluated and if the clots are gone he will be taken off anti-coagulation. So he could actually come back with no consequences if we made it to eastern conference finals.
JLop
Analyst
And1: 7,833

Post#464 » by JLop » Wed Mar 4, 2015 7:16 pm

smartcane wrote:
JLop wrote:I heard that his treatment will take a minimum of 6 month. Even if we don't go far in the playoffs I am ok with that. This year we added Whiteside, Napier, Johnson and Dragic. That's a win for me. Next year the Heat are going to be among the favorites to be champions.

The treatment is not 6 months. It is 3-6 months depending of the patient. At 3 months he will be reevaluated and if the clots are gone he will be taken off anti-coagulation. So he could actually come back with no consequences if we made it to eastern conference finals.

Please, read my post on the page before.

I am crossing my fingers. But I have hopes to see Chris Bosh rejoining the team in the playoffs. Either in the Conference Semifinals or in the Eastern Conference Finals.

:D

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1373744&start=440#start_here

JLop wrote:
heat4life wrote:
JLop wrote:How Is Pulmonary Embolism Treated?

If you have deep vein thrombosis, treatment with blood thinners usually lasts for 3 to 6 months. If you've had blood clots before, you may need a longer period of treatment. If you're being treated for another illness, such as cancer, you may need to take blood thinners as long as PE risk factors are present.

Full Article
Spoiler:
I hope you all have enjoyed this article as much as I did. And please, remember to visit the author's site.

April 18 -- 2015 NBA Playoffs begin (Josh McRoberts should be healthy and ready by then)

May 19 or 20 -- Conference Finals begin (possible move-up to May 17 or 18) (three months since Chris Bosh has been treated in the hospital).

Chris has been under the best medical care known to man. If the 2014-15 Regular Season ended today, we should be facing Toronto. Then, we have to face the winner of Atlanta vs. Indiana (Paul George could be playing). If we manage to be victorious, could we have the chance to see Chris Bosh rejoining the Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals?

I love your optimism. :D

We all know how competitive an athlete can be. Especially, someone like Chris Bosh. And when we are talking about a championship, the story gets more interesting. If under a normal medical care you can recover in three months, I can see how Chris Bosh has a chance of coming back sooner than expected. Even more, if he is monitored very closely. I am willing to give a 50 percent chance of this happening.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#465 » by KingDavid » Wed Mar 4, 2015 7:29 pm

From what I've learned in school; I don't think P.E. treatment is 3-6 months for an elite athlete who takes daily/weekly flights (READ: high altitude/a lot of altitude fluctuation = BAD) and plays in a very high contact sport. For a regular civilian? Yeah. But Bosh? Idk...I don't think we see him until next season.

Coumadin/Warfarin/wtfever he's on takes some time to wear off. I think he has to taper off actually. THEN he has to get into NBA shape again. The risk he poses if he gets hit in the head is really, really bad. The swelling, the ICP, it just goes to **** really fast. It's not worth permanent damage.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
smartcane
Junior

Post#466 » by smartcane » Thu Mar 5, 2015 5:45 am

KingDavid wrote:From what I've learned in school; I don't think P.E. treatment is 3-6 months for an elite athlete who takes daily/weekly flights (READ: high altitude/a lot of altitude fluctuation = BAD) and plays in a very high contact sport. For a regular civilian? Yeah. But Bosh? Idk...I don't think we see him until next season.

Coumadin/Warfarin/wtfever he's on takes some time to wear off. I think he has to taper off actually. THEN he has to get into NBA shape again. The risk he poses if he gets hit in the head is really, really bad. The swelling, the ICP, it just goes to **** really fast. It's not worth permanent damage.

Most of what you said is incorrect. You don't have to taper off coumadin. It can be stopped and easily reversed with him eating leafy vegetables that contain V-K or he can be given Vit - k. There is no concern for swelling. In term of flight it isn't flights per say it immobility that increases the risk of clots forming but if he moves around normally he will be ok. The treatment for an elite athlete may be less because they have high lung capacity and their body uses O2 more efficiently. That is why he was able to keep playing even though he was losing lung capacity. He only went to the doctor because of the pain. You or I would have died from not sufficient O2. The best example of the above facts is UD. He had the same thing and recovered in about 3 months.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#467 » by KingDavid » Thu Mar 5, 2015 2:25 pm

smartcane wrote:
KingDavid wrote:From what I've learned in school; I don't think P.E. treatment is 3-6 months for an elite athlete who takes daily/weekly flights (READ: high altitude/a lot of altitude fluctuation = BAD) and plays in a very high contact sport. For a regular civilian? Yeah. But Bosh? Idk...I don't think we see him until next season.

Most of what you said is incorrect. You don't have to taper off coumadin. It can be stopped and easily reversed with him eating leafy vegetables that contain V-K or he can be given Vit - k. There is no concern for swelling. In term of flight it isn't flights per say it immobility that increases the risk of clots forming but if he moves around normally he will be ok. The treatment for an elite athlete may be less because they have high lung capacity and their body uses O2 more efficiently. That is why he was able to keep playing even though he was losing lung capacity. He only went to the doctor because of the pain. You or I would have died from not sufficient O2. The best example of the above facts is UD. He had the same thing and recovered in about 3 months.

Oh ok thanks for the correction. But I thought ud only had one clot vs the multiple ones Bosh had?

It's incredible that he was able to play this game like that. I really wish I could see his o2 sat %.
#HEATLifer

smartcane
Junior

Post#468 » by smartcane » Thu Mar 5, 2015 8:08 pm

KingDavid wrote:
smartcane wrote:

Oh ok thanks for the correction. But I thought ud only had one clot vs the multiple ones Bosh had?

It's incredible that he was able to play this game like that. I really wish I could see his o2 sat %.

It really doesn't matter the amount of clot but rather the amount of lung capacity that is affected. It is actually worse to have one large clot rather than multiple small ones. It is easier for the body to break down and less likely to completely obstruct blood flow to the lungs like a saddle emboli ( a large clot that affects both lungs due to it' size) typically does.
Dragon2Wade
Senior
And1: 206

Post#469 » by Dragon2Wade » Thu Mar 5, 2015 11:23 pm

Bosh isn't coming back, we can make the Finals and he still wouldn't be back. Anybody want to make a board bet? Loser disappears for a few months. He's not coming back, let him get healthy people.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#470 » by KingDavid » Fri Mar 6, 2015 2:51 am

smartcane wrote:
KingDavid wrote:
smartcane wrote:

It really doesn't matter the amount of clot but rather the amount of lung capacity that is affected. It is actually worse to have one large clot rather than multiple small ones. It is easier for the body to break down and less likely to completely obstruct blood flow to the lungs like a saddle emboli ( a large clot that affects both lungs due to it' size) typically does.

Ohhh...thanks a lot for the info. So why isn't there an infarct of lung tissue from the occlusion(s) even though he was suffering from what seemed to be hemodynamic instability (sob, cp, weakness, pale, etc)? Is it because the clots weren't complete blocks and he was still getting some form perfusion? I was really worried about that for Bosh long term.

I think I'm confusing p.e. with ACS and mixing up treatment. School is killing me lols. Seriously, thank you for calling me out on being wrong; it means I have to read up a bit harder before midterms next week.
#HEATLifer

Mars
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,174

Post#471 » by Mars » Mon Mar 9, 2015 11:03 pm

Miami HEAT Statement on Chris Bosh

Release | HEAT.com
March 9, 2015

MIAMI – The Miami HEAT, Thoracic Surgeon Dr. John DeRosimo and team Cardiologist Dr. Ed Neff released the following statement on the health of Chris Bosh.

Chris Bosh will be re-evaluated this month, and if cleared, may begin regular exercise at that time with plans to start strength training next month. He is scheduled to resume full basketball activities in September.

Link
GUTS™

Return to Miami Heat