ImageImageImage

Bo Kimble, fearful of Chris Bosh's health, wants Bosh to hang it up

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,993

Bo Kimble, fearful of Chris Bosh's health, wants Bosh to hang it up 

Post#1 » by eddieheatfan » Mon May 23, 2016 3:46 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/bo-kimble--fearful-of-chris-bosh-s-health--wants-bosh-to-hang-it-up-200535480.html

Bo Kimble has firsthand knowledge regarding how horrifying it can be to watch a teammate and friend risk his life to compete in a relatively pointless basketball game.

[Follow Dunks Don't Lie on Tumblr: The best slams from all of basketball]

Kimble’s Loyola Marymount teammate Hank Gathers fell to the floor after suffering a massive heart attack during a game against the Portland Pilots in 1990, passing away at the age of 23. The star forward was diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat just four months before, after collapsing to the court in another game, but had lowered his dosage of heart medication after complaining that it was adversely affecting his game. Gathers was the NCAA’s leading points per game scorer at the time of his death.

Chris Bosh has seen his season end after complications from blood clots for two campaigns running now, and reports suggest that the Heat All-Star may never play an NBA game again. Kimble, who went on to a brief NBA career with the Los Angeles Clippers and New York Knicks, thinks the Miami star should consider hanging it up. From TMZ:

"There are so many other things he could do with his life. Hank Gathers had the same thing, Hank could have been a comedian, and actor or did speaking engagements. It’s not worth the risk. I would just say absolutely not, don’t do it."
[…]
"If Hank had the ability to do it again he wouldn't have paid the ultimate price ... I am sure [Bosh] has children and they are going to need their father around as much as possible."
We also spoke to Hank's brother Derrick who echoed Kimble's sentiments.
"To this day I am just getting over the loss of my brother ... just fall back and retire."
Bosh, who turned 32 in March, turned in another stellar season with the Heat this year. He averaged 19.1 points in just 33 minutes a game with 7.4 rebounds and 2.4 assists. It would be an easy and correct assumption to conclude that had Chris been healthy during Miami’s playoff run, the team would have been able to move past the Toronto Raptors in the second round of the playoffs, taking on former Heat star LeBron James in the Eastern finals as a reward.

Instead, for the second season in a row, Bosh’s blood clots knocked him out of game action during the NBA’s All-Star break. Reports suggested that Bosh was eager to attempt a comeback while working on blood thinners, but the Heat franchise rightfully put the kibosh on those thoughts. Miami – which would receive no salary cap benefits from keeping Chris Bosh on the shelf until at least next February – has no interest in endangering the life of the 11-time All-Star.

Bo Kimble was drafted 8th overall by the Clippers in 1990. (Getty Images)The Portland Pilots point guard at the time of Hank Gathers’ death was Erik Spoelstra, who has acted as Heat coach since 2009 and for the duration of Chris Bosh’s time with the team. Spoelstra was on the court and just a few feet removed from Gathers when the 23-year passed away.

Kimble’s remarks come on the same weekend of an NBA-sponsored health screening test in Orlando. The NBA’s in memoriam list for 2015 was cruelly long, with former centers Moses Malone and Darryl Dawkins passing away unexpectedly at a too-early age due to heart disease. In response, the league established test centers and pro bono checkups for retired players in collaboration with the league’s player’s union.

From the Orlando Sentinel:

Nick Anderson, the first player the Orlando Magic ever drafted and a member of the Orlando Magic Hall of Fame, took part in Saturday's session.
The tests took about an hour to complete.
"It's a blessing," Anderson said. "When I got the e-mail, got the call that this was going to be taking place, I jumped right on it."
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, heart disease was the leading cause of death in the United States in 2014.
Chris Bosh is still an All-NBA-level talent, and he does not suffer from the same heart-related conditions that Gathers and the late Reggie Lewis were diagnosed with. Still, there is no precedence for an NBA player of any caliber working through blood clots and the resultant prescribed blood thinners he takes in order to combat his condition.

Even for someone with a rewarding off-court life and hundreds of millions in career earnings, it absolutely cannot be easy for someone with Bosh’s skills and relative youth to even consider walking away, much less following through on the retirement process. And in a league that doesn’t want to say goodbye to veterans that were drafted in the last century (to say nothing of the relatively youthful Chris Bosh), on the heels of sub-standard playoff performances, nobody wants to see Bosh have to walk away. Nobody in this league wants to conclude that they’ve seen Chris play his final NBA game.

This, sadly, still might be the case. As Bo Kimble suggested, the league, its fans, the Heat and Chris Bosh are inching closer and closer to the point where it becomes obvious that the risk of Bosh playing NBA basketball might just be too great.
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,493

Re: Bo Kimble, fearful of Chris Bosh's health, wants Bosh to hang it up 

Post#2 » by Bishop45 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:06 am

ImageImageImage
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Post#3 » by IggieCC » Mon May 23, 2016 4:54 am

The title capitalized :cry:
3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
Hoops3355
Junior
And1: 239

Post#4 » by Hoops3355 » Mon May 23, 2016 5:21 am

This is crazy. He's right though, I don't think there's anyway Bosh plays again.
Miami / Chicago / London
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Post#5 » by contract » Mon May 23, 2016 6:21 am

He should have been allowed to play in the postseason. Instead he'll be back going through the never ending regular season grind of far less meaningful games next season. We wouldn't let him risk his health for 12 games this postseason, but we're prepared to let him play 82+ next year?
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#6 » by Hoops23 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:24 am

this is bad for Miami if its true...
if Bosh will not play again, will the Heat be given any incentives? Should Miami pay his remaining salary? insurance or something? Cap relief?
Anyone please...
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,762

Post#7 » by QUIZ » Mon May 23, 2016 7:57 am

Hoops23 wrote:this is bad for Miami if its true...
if Bosh will not play again, will the Heat be given any incentives? Should Miami pay his remaining salary? insurance or something? Cap relief?
Anyone please...

Bosh last played for the Heat on February 9, 2016. According to league rules, if he does not play again by February 9, 2017, the Heat can waive him and apply to the league office for an exclusion to get his salary removed from its books for salary cap purposes, though he would continue to get paid the $75.9 million he currently has remaining on his contract in full. If an independent doctor approved by the league and players association determines his situation is severe enough that continuing to play constitutes a medically unacceptable risk, his salary would be removed from the Heat’s team salary immediately. Adding those cap savings into the equation would get you to as much as $90 million in cap space.

Read this for more info on our future outlook:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlbertRandom1/status/732188941558906880[/tweet]
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,293

Post#8 » by goodboy » Mon May 23, 2016 8:01 am

Bishop45 wrote:ImageImageImage

IggieCC wrote:Image
The title capitalized :cry:

Phucking :rofl: :rofl: :rofL:
Bright
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,334

Post#9 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Mon May 23, 2016 7:14 pm

I hope Bosh takes the bait and releases Miami of his contract.

Shoulda got rid of him back in 2013. He's a really nice guy, great locker room influence, but I hate his game. Big men who don't play Big have no place on my team.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
ndnow
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#10 » by ndnow » Mon May 23, 2016 7:21 pm

eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,993

Post#11 » by eddieheatfan » Mon May 23, 2016 8:14 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/style/happened-stomach-exploded-couldn-t-160400255.html
this happened to this poor woman that had a blood clot that caused necrosis in to her abdominal area/organs.just keep the jokes coming up,guys
Paz
Analyst
And1: 3,868

Post#12 » by Paz » Tue May 24, 2016 2:06 am

That really blows man....
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#13 » by HIF » Tue May 24, 2016 9:19 am

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:I hope Bosh takes the bait and releases Miami of his contract.

Shoulda got rid of him back in 2013. He's a really nice guy, great locker room influence, but I hate his game. Big men who don't play Big have no place on my team.

and neither do the biggest of big men with nightly double doubles.

Your team makes me want to cry.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Post#14 » by contract » Tue May 24, 2016 10:32 am

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:I hope Bosh takes the bait and releases Miami of his contract.

That's not how it works. Bosh is getting his money whether he plays for us or not. Miami can pay him and play him. Or they can pay him and not play him. Or they can pay him and release him, and watch him play for someone else.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,334

Post#15 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Tue May 24, 2016 10:49 pm

contract wrote:

That's not how it works. Bosh is getting his money whether he plays for us or not. Miami can pay him and play him. Or they can pay him and not play him. Or they can pay him and release him, and watch him play for someone else.

If Bosh medically retires, then the Heat's salary cap is freed up.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#16 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue May 24, 2016 11:05 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
contract wrote:

If Bosh medically retires, then the Heat's salary cap is freed up.

I don't think a Bosh medical retirement help the Heat this summer, but next Summer it will.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

Post#17 » by R-DAWG » Sun May 29, 2016 5:41 pm

Go back and watch the last minute and overtime of game 6 of the 2013 finals. It's known as the Ray Allen game, but Bosh made the 3 biggest plays in the game. Offensive rebound and assist to Allen on the tying 3, blocked Tony Parker at the top of the key at the end of regulation, came across the court to block Danny Green at the end of overtime.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#18 » by RJM » Sun May 29, 2016 10:17 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76TxrkVc2W8[/youtube]
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,785

Post#19 » by Johnny Bball » Mon May 30, 2016 1:04 am

contract wrote:He should have been allowed to play in the postseason. Instead he'll be back going through the never ending regular season grind of far less meaningful games next season. We wouldn't let him risk his health for 12 games this postseason, but we're prepared to let him play 82+ next year?

Except if a clot breaks off prematurely (by strenuous activity or contact) before the body dissolves it, and it goes to the wrong place, he could die. I believe that is the Heats issue. Until he's done the thinners and hes got clot issues he's at risk. This was the issue an acquaintance of mine had with clot issues when taking thinners. The thinners have to take their course. I'm assuming the Heat got the same advice.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#20 » by gom » Mon May 30, 2016 3:28 am

RJM wrote:
Grumpy Not a Heat Fan wrote:I hope Bosh takes the bait and releases Miami of his contract.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76TxrkVc2W8[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8zRedbFrhI[/youtube]
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^

Return to Miami Heat