ImageImageImage

Is Dragic Gone Next?

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Is Dragic Gone Next? 

Post#1 » by walk with me » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:20 pm

What are the odds we move him before the end of this time next year? I can't lie, I hated his contract initially but at this point in time it looks delicious. Has anyone heard anything about this or am I jumping the gun a little bit...
SCHeat
Pro Prospect
And1: 676

Re: Is Dragic Gone Next? 

Post#2 » by SCHeat » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:45 pm

I think it makes the most sense to move him on draft day next year. Only a playoff team would trade for him now. But next year with his further inflated stats and a higher salary cap we should be able to get quite a good return for him.
Mob Rules
Junior
And1: 2,023

Post#3 » by Mob Rules » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:17 pm

I think he's gone before the trading period this coming season. I never liked his contract. He had just got here and demanded max money. He proved he can be a high scorer this past season in the playoffs, but I don't think he's clutch. Miami needs someone that can drop 15 points in the last 5 minutes of the game to steal it or seal it.
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,100

Post#4 » by heatwillbeback » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:30 pm

I'm conflicted.

I want the young guys to get run, but I also feel that Dragic and his style (which we couldn't really implement fully with wade) will be very good with the young guys.

We need good picks if we trade him. Can't just give away a player like Dragic.
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,370

Post#5 » by Vertical Limit » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:16 pm

With Tyler on board, yea it's inevitable he's on the trade block. There will be a handful of teams that will be interested.

I can see us trading him, along with one of our prospects, for a guy like Jrue Holiday and something else. New Orleans upgrades at point guard, we get an expiring out of it. Jrue is 12 million.

They might ask us to absorb another contract with it.

Other contracts they have is Cunningham, Pondexter each at 4 million. Evans at 10 million.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,683

Post#6 » by KingDavid » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:17 pm

Fkn ballboys. Dragic did not demand max money and offered to leave money on the table to help the team afford Wade.

Dragic's contract is a BARGAIN in today's nba. If this isn't working out and we need to move him, we will end up with some pretty good assets. There are a good amount of teams who were calling in interest of Dragic and are willing to give us assets for him. But I think we end playing fast and not winning any close games, not to the fault of Dragic, but because he's the only playmaker on the team that is on the perimeter. We have a very shallow backcourt. Jr, and tj have ZERO court vision for others. Winslow's ceiling is likely average in that regard at this stage of his career. Weber has a lot of potential there, but he is only able to easily create for others, but not for himself. You need to be able to do both to be considered a playmaker.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,370

Post#7 » by Vertical Limit » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Tyreke and Jrue are both expiring. Cunningham and Pondexter have another year remaining after this coming season.
Daffy
Analyst
And1: 3,547

Post#8 » by Daffy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:33 pm

Mob Rules wrote:I think he's gone before the trading period this coming season. I never liked his contract. He had just got here and demanded max money. He proved he can be a high scorer this past season in the playoffs, but I don't think he's clutch. Miami needs someone that can drop 15 points in the last 5 minutes of the game to steal it or seal it.

How many guys in the league consistently does this? Good lord.
Daffy
Analyst
And1: 3,547

Post#9 » by Daffy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:35 pm

I think people are forgetting the PGs we had before Dragic for a period of time. Norris Cole, Chalmers, Bibby, Aroyo, just to name a few.
spectrec130
Starter
And1: 1,813

Post#10 » by spectrec130 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:11 pm

rio_grande wrote:I think it makes the most sense to move him on draft day next year. Only a playoff team would trade for him now. But next year with his further inflated stats and a higher salary cap we should be able to get quite a good return for him.

Hope you are correct on this and it equates to a very nice haul.... I'm not kidding myself, youth movements are tough and we really need a true centerpiece, 2017 draft really holds promise to address this issue!
Shewasfly
Head Coach
And1: 11,524

Post#11 » by Shewasfly » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 pm

We need to get him off the books so we have room for two max slots. I don't see what the complaining is about. Go all in for 2017 or don't.
:tiredJB:
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#12 » by KingDavid » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:17 pm

Shewasfly wrote:We need to get him off the books so we have room for two max slots. I don't see what the complaining is about. Go all in for 2017 or don't.

Who the hell are we picking up in 2017?

Westbrook will sign with the team he's traded to and he's likely to sign with a team that is either already a contender or will be one with his presence. That won't be here. Blake Griffin is a name I see floating around. Why would he come here? Bosh and Whiteside are already expensive. Bosh will play this season. If the team tries to force his hand into retirement, he will come back with another team while his salary is still on our books.

Nothing significant is happening in 2017. Keep Dragic until it doesn't work out for us this season, then trade him to Boston for their Brooklyn pick swap and a future first.Two lotto picks in a deep draft.
#HEATLifer

ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#13 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:36 pm

I like Dragic. very under rated on this board.
Donald Trump is an idiot.
Mob Rules
Junior
And1: 2,023

Post#14 » by Mob Rules » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:58 pm

Daffy wrote:How many guys in the league consistently does this? Good lord.

Not many, but who says you shouldn't look for or develop one?
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#15 » by KingDavid » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:10 pm

Mob Rules wrote:
Daffy wrote:How many guys in the league consistently does this? Good lord.

Not many, but who says you shouldn't look for or develop one?

That's not how this works...

You're essentially asking we "look" for what could qualify as a top 5 player, as if we can pluck them off a tree.

Or that we develop one of our own into a top 5 player. This isn't nba2k.
#HEATLifer

eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,856

Post#16 » by eddieheatfan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:11 pm

i would give him one more season to prove his worth.if not then trade him for good next season
Picklewagon
Senior
And1: 544

Post#17 » by Picklewagon » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:20 pm

Daffy wrote:
Mob Rules wrote:I think he's gone before the trading period this coming season. I never liked his contract. He had just got here and demanded max money. He proved he can be a high scorer this past season in the playoffs, but I don't think he's clutch. Miami needs someone that can drop 15 points in the last 5 minutes of the game to steal it or seal it.

How many guys in the league consistently does this? Good lord.

None
Shewasfly
Head Coach
And1: 11,524

Post#18 » by Shewasfly » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:38 pm

KingDavid wrote:
Shewasfly wrote:We need to get him off the books so we have room for two max slots. I don't see what the complaining is about. Go all in for 2017 or don't.

Westbrook will sign with the team he's traded to and he's likely to sign with a team that is either already a contender or will be one with his presence. That won't be here. Blake Griffin is a name I see floating around. Why would he come here? Bosh and Whiteside are already expensive. Bosh will play this season. If the team tries to force his hand into retirement, he will come back with another team while his salary is still on our books.

Nothing significant is happening in 2017. Keep Dragic until it doesn't work out for us this season, then trade him to Boston for their Brooklyn pick swap and a future first.Two lotto picks in a deep draft.

I've been saying this all along and been met with "Trust in Riley". Why haven't you gotten the same knee jerk response I wonder. Also why you responded this way only to agreed and say we trade Dragic for picks is beyond me.

Anyway, I was told Riley would build a monster championship team through 2017 free agency somehow some way so those are my expectations.
:tiredJB:
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#19 » by KingDavid » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:09 pm

Shewasfly wrote:
KingDavid wrote:

I've been saying this all along and been met with "Trust in Riley". Why haven't you gotten the same knee jerk response I wonder. Also why you responded this way only to agreed and say we trade Dragic for picks is beyond me.

Anyway, I was told Riley would build a monster championship team through 2017 free agency somehow some way so those are my expectations.

Hm? Responded what way? I'm just listing my view of our options. 2017 doesn't seem realistic to build a contender. I'm only for trading Dragic if he doesn't work down here. Then I'm only trading him for significant assets...like bkn pick swap with Boston.

I haven't received rude, demeaning comments because I never slandered Riley or Wade in this whole process. They both looked out for their best interests. Riley's interests align with Heat fans' interests, so naturally, they'll root for Riley through thick and thin. The player, in this case, Wade, his interests is money. That doesn't align with the fans' interests...

From a business standpoint, if we kept wade, he'd make us too good to get a worthwhile draft pick but not good enough to contend, as well as being untradeable. Dragic has no such restrictions. If he sucks, we suck. And we can trade him for some really good assets. And if we suck, we get a high ass draft pick.

At first it was "oh he'll take up too much cap for possible free agents", at the price he wanted, it may have done that. But now it's "he'd make us a middling team". Both of which are actually accurate, but it's truly to justify Riley's moves, honestly.
#HEATLifer

SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#20 » by SlowPaced » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:46 pm

If we trade Dragic, it won't be because he's not up to par. It'll be because he IS up to par and his contract is relatively cheap for the market thus it has value to bring back assets.

If he stays here for the full season, I think the up-tempo game with him leading the charge could install a lot of confidence in our young guys going forward and help their development. We shall see.

KingDavid wrote:Nothing significant is happening in 2017. Keep Dragic until it doesn't work out for us this season, then trade him to Boston for their Brooklyn pick swap and a future first.Two lotto picks in a deep draft.

I think Dragic's market value is being underrated but you're seriously overrating it here. Why on earth would the Celtics do that? They already have Isaiah Thomas and a young backup PG (Marcus Smart). That Nets pick swap is gonna land them a Top 5, hell maybe even the No. 1 pick.

Return to Miami Heat