ImageImageImage

Miami Heat 2016-2017 Regular Season Thread - Sleep On Us

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

contract
RealGM
And1: 20,764

Re: Miami Heat 2016-2017 Regular Season Thread - Sleep On Us 

Post#681 » by contract » Thu Mar 9, 2017 11:29 am

This team is shooting out of it's mind ... 42.4% from 3pt range since the all star break ... with both volume and accuracy increasing every month since December.

Dec: 35.0% ... on 24.6 attempts
Jan : 37.9% ... on 27.2 attempts
Feb : 39.1% ... on 28.4 attempts
March: 42.9% ... on 33.6 attempts

Dragic, Waiters, and JJ, are all shooting career high 3pt%.

And this despite Josh Richardson not yet finding his stroke.

Crazy!
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
contract
RealGM

Post#682 » by contract » Thu Mar 9, 2017 11:42 am

I would love to see how our 3pt shooting stacks up vs the rest of the NBA since the calendar flipped. I'd be shocked if we're not the top team since the beginning of 2017, or at least top 3.
contract
RealGM

Post#683 » by contract » Thu Mar 9, 2017 11:58 am

This team could reasonably climb as high as the 6th seed. :o
Harjo
Freshman
And1: 180

Post#684 » by Harjo » Thu Mar 9, 2017 3:27 pm

SlowPaced wrote:19M looks too expensive for a sixth man but bare in mind that the 19M of now is not the 19M of the past. And I'm very comfortable with TJ as the sixth man going forward. He's a sixth man on a contender type.

Btw, now that it's obvious that we're not tanking and rebuilding but opting for a build from within approach, I think the most realistic options in FA are Paul Millsap and Danilo Gallinari. KD, Steph, CP3, Blake, Lowry aren't leaving, Hayward either stays or goes to the Celtics.

C - Hassan Whiteside, Willie Reed
F - Paul Millsap, James Johnson
F - Justise Winslow, Rodney McGruder
G - Dion Waiters, Josh Richardson
G - Goran Dragic, Tyler Johnson

Looks like a pretty good team for a treadmill. Honestly, as it stands, I really struggle to come up with a plan that won't put us in a treadmill. We need a Kawhi/Butler type miracle in the draft, and an additional Whiteside type miracle. Otherwise, we're set to be the new Atlanta Hawks.

Really shot ourselves in the foot by not tanking. Should've picked a franchise centerpiece Top 5, then traded Dragic for pick(s) and we'd be set to look for our future.

If we had been in a position to tank, that would have meant that Waiters and James Johnson were having a disappointing year and would not be the players we are seing now.

And I'm actually optimistic here. We will have a strong team, the "new" Atlanta Hawks like you said, with surely more game-changers than them. But most importantly we will have so many assets that we will be able to make very interesting trades to land a whale. The Hawks didn't have the assets nor the aura and attractivness of Riley's Heat.

C - Hassan Whiteside, Willie Reed, Udonis Haslem
F - Paul Millsap, James Johnson, Isaiah Hartenstein
F - Justise Winslow, Rodney McGruder, Okaro White
G - Dion Waiters, Josh Richardson, Wayne Ellington

The players in italic are going to be interesting Young pièces for a team looking to rebuild. We could easily offer some of them to attract a whale, like Paul George. You also forgot that we will get a mid-first rounder this year and we could get a nice little player out of it, albeit not a Franchise Player.

We could also offer Dragic and Tyler, and another Young lad to get a Star Point Guard.

So many different assets, we'll be competitive as feck and then we'll bring in the whale to be title contenders. Sounds a good plan to me.
ThaFranchize84
Junior
And1: 156

Post#685 » by ThaFranchize84 » Thu Mar 9, 2017 6:35 pm

Harjo wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:19M looks too expensive for a sixth man but bare in mind that the 19M of now is not the 19M of the past. And I'm very comfortable with TJ as the sixth man going forward. He's a sixth man on a contender type.

Btw, now that it's obvious that we're not tanking and rebuilding but opting for a build from within approach, I think the most realistic options in FA are Paul Millsap and Danilo Gallinari. KD, Steph, CP3, Blake, Lowry aren't leaving, Hayward either stays or goes to the Celtics.

C - Hassan Whiteside, Willie Reed
F - Paul Millsap, James Johnson
F - Justise Winslow, Rodney McGruder
G - Dion Waiters, Josh Richardson

Looks like a pretty good team for a treadmill. Honestly, as it stands, I really struggle to come up with a plan that won't put us in a treadmill. We need a Kawhi/Butler type miracle in the draft, and an additional Whiteside type miracle. Otherwise, we're set to be the new Atlanta Hawks.

Really shot ourselves in the foot by not tanking. Should've picked a franchise centerpiece Top 5, then traded Dragic for pick(s) and we'd be set to look for our future.

If we had been in a position to tank, that would have meant that Waiters and James Johnson were having a disappointing year and would not be the players we are seing now.

And I'm actually optimistic here. We will have a strong team, the "new" Atlanta Hawks like you said, with surely more game-changers than them. But most importantly we will have so many assets that we will be able to make very interesting trades to land a whale. The Hawks didn't have the assets nor the aura and attractivness of Riley's Heat.

C - Hassan Whiteside, Willie Reed, Udonis Haslem
F - Paul Millsap, James Johnson, Isaiah Hartenstein
F - Justise Winslow, Rodney McGruder, Okaro White
G - Dion Waiters, Josh Richardson, Wayne Ellington

The players in italic are going to be interesting Young pièces for a team looking to rebuild. We could easily offer some of them to attract a whale, like Paul George. You also forgot that we will get a mid-first rounder this year and we could get a nice little player out of it, albeit not a Franchise Player.

We could also offer Dragic and Tyler, and another Young lad to get a Star Point Guard.

So many different assets, we'll be competitive as feck and then we'll bring in the whale to be title contenders. Sounds a good plan to me.

The team above is going to be hard to keep under the cap. Milsap is going to get paid. I would look at Gallinari or a trade for someone like Tobias Harris in Detroit. His contract drops ($16) each year and fits well next to Whiteside.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
caliban
NBA TnT Forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 3,231

Post#686 » by caliban » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:52 pm

20-21 apbrMetrics RMSE Team win projections winner. Three time RMSE runner up
RGM TnT board Team Win predictions winner
dancing2thabeet
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,681

Post#687 » by dancing2thabeet » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:53 pm

Read on Twitter
orphicwhip wrote:
goodboy wrote:Man I got the flu, still will watch my team play though.

McBob shares the same mentality.
BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM
And1: 23,487

Post#688 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:42 am

contract wrote:This team is shooting out of it's mind ... 42.4% from 3pt range since the all star break ... with both volume and accuracy increasing every month since December.

Dec: 35.0% ... on 24.6 attempts
Jan : 37.9% ... on 27.2 attempts
Feb : 39.1% ... on 28.4 attempts
March: 42.9% ... on 33.6 attempts

Dragic, Waiters, and JJ, are all shooting career high 3pt%.

And this despite Josh Richardson not yet finding his stroke.

Crazy!

I heard I think it was Tom Haberstroh on the radio yesterday saying the Heat have been shooting 49% on open 3s during this 20-4 stretch
islandHEAT
Senior
And1: 1,908

Post#689 » by islandHEAT » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:46 am

Barring an injury of some sort, this team is making the playoffs, we are trending up while everyone else is going in the opposite direction.

I love this team, reminds me of the '04 team before we traded for Shaq. IMO I don't think we need any position in particular but we do need a star. My only concern is that I don't see any impending free agents that really put us in that upper echelon and I dont know of any "disgruntled" superstars who want off of their current teams.
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,960

Post#690 » by eddieheatfan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:11 am

cant believe that the cavs are going to get larry sanders.dude is a drug addict but has a ton of talent and could be a nice back up to hassan.

oh well,there's a reason for everything.maybe the godfather sees that he could be a distraction for the team on this playoff push
J-House
Veteran
And1: 10,884

Post#691 » by J-House » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:37 am

eddieheatfan wrote:cant believe that the cavs are going to get larry sanders.dude is a drug addict but has a ton of talent and could be a nice back up to hassan.

oh well,there's a reason for everything.maybe the godfather sees that he could be a distraction for the team on this playoff push

Drug addict is a little much haha. I'm pretty sure dude only smokes pot.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,178

Post#692 » by Heat3 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:56 am

Bulls will get gifted a #1 pick again
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#693 » by RJM » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Heat3 wrote:Bulls will get gifted a #1 pick again

I'd rather it be Miami for once.
Mars
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,174

Post#694 » by Mars » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:19 pm

Read on Twitter

"FODOR... FODOR...FODOR... FODOR... FODOR... FODOR..."
GUTS™
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,960

Post#695 » by eddieheatfan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:55 pm

J-House wrote:
eddieheatfan wrote:cant believe that the cavs are going to get larry sanders.dude is a drug addict but has a ton of talent and could be a nice back up to hassan.

Drug addict is a little much haha. I'm pretty sure dude only smokes pot.
pot is still classified as a drug.correct me if am wrong?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)
Mars
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,174

Post#696 » by Mars » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:13 am

Waiters eager to stay longterm, will reach out to Wade

Barry Jackson | Miami Herald
March 11, 2017

MIAMI — No, there are no illusions, at least not now, of being another Dwyane Wade. Even confidence-oozing Dion Waiters knows playing a 25-game stretch at D-Wade’s level certainly does not warrant comparisons with a future Hall of Famer.

But ask him about the idea of becoming Wade’s longterm successor here, not merely a one-year stopgap, and that elicits one of Waiters’ infectious smiles.

“If you don’t think like that, you’re crazy,” he said. “I am enjoying this thing. Whatever it takes [this summer], I just want to be here. What we’re building here, we have a chance to do something special.”

And get this: He hopes Wade can help him inch closer to being an All-Star player.

In a weak market for free agent shooting guards, Waiters – a bargain at $2.9 million this season - could cost a bundle: perhaps $14 million or more this summer, and the Heat doesn’t need to decide yet if it’s going to pay it until Miami sees the closing chapter of the most impressive run of Waiters’ five-year career.

But Waiters, 25, already knows how he wants this summer to play out.

“I want to get it done as quick as possible,” he said, hoping Heat longterm interest is mutual. “Let's keep this thing rolling by any means. I don't want to go into free agency with a couple days and make a decision. I don't want that. I know where I want to be. Let's just get it done. My mom loves it here. Would be mad at me [if I left]. My son loves it. My family loves it.”...

...Waiters has averaged just over 19 points and shot 47 percent since the Heat began this stretch of 21 wins in 25 games, held opponents he’s guarding well below their overall shooting percentage and created a bunch of open shots for others with his penetrations. But he knows there’s another level he would like to reach, and he will reach out to Wade to help get him there.

“We've got the same initials, our games are similar,” Waiters said. “Difference is, he's got them three rings. He's a Finals MVP. Top three best shooting guards all time. I'm chasing that. He's one of my favorite players, one of the players I idolized my game after. When he's playing against me, I'm checking things he's doing.

“Hopefully, one of these summers, we can get together and he can teach me some of the tricks of the trade of getting fouled more. I am definitely going to reach out to him to see if I can propel my game to a new level. That’s what the best players do. You see Kobe [Bryant] with Michael [Jordan]. A lot of guys go to Hakeem Olajuwon to learn. D-Wade’s my guy, one of the best players to ever play the game. It's always been little brother, big brother from afar. I want to pick his brain.”...

Link
GUTS™
Chalm Down
RealGM
And1: 132,742

Post#697 » by Chalm Down » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:51 am

Mars wrote:“Hopefully, one of these summers, we can get together and he can teach me some of the tricks of the trade of getting fouled more.

Aww he wants to be our next D-Whistle :)

Wait til he finds out the secret is to not scream AND1 :)
Bishop45 wrote:"Let Iggie start the season brehs, was the wors that could happen"
Harjo
Freshman
And1: 180

Post#698 » by Harjo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:10 pm

Fantastic interview from D-Waiters there.

I really, really hope Riley doesn't feck about this summer. He should be going for Waiters as soon as 1st July and offer him a solid 15M per year. Forget about Griffin, forget about Chris Paul or Steph Curry, you're NOT getting them, so don't go running for them like you did with Durant last year.

Also, if Riley had made an early offer last year to Tyler Johnson, he would have signed directly and surely for Something like 40M instead of 50M too, and without that poison pill contract.

So, resign Waiters et Johnson as quick as possible, go after players like Millsap right after. But don't let other teams like Brooklyn dictate how you're going to pay. Just do it nice and clean, the lad wants to be the face of our franchise, he's willing to take a bit less money.
J-House
Veteran
And1: 10,884

Post#699 » by J-House » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Harjo wrote:Fantastic interview from D-Waiters there.

I really, really hope Riley doesn't feck about this summer. He should be going for Waiters as soon as 1st July and offer him a solid 15M per year. Forget about Griffin, forget about Chris Paul or Steph Curry, you're NOT getting them, so don't go running for them like you did with Durant last year.

Also, if Riley had made an early offer last year to Tyler Johnson, he would have signed directly and surely for Something like 40M instead of 50M too, and without that poison pill contract.

So, resign Waiters et Johnson as quick as possible, go after players like Millsap right after. But don't let other teams like Brooklyn dictate how you're going to pay. Just do it nice and clean, the lad wants to be the face of our franchise, he's willing to take a bit less money.

100% agree. People will balk at paying Dion around 15M a year but just watch what players like KCP and Otto Porter are going to get. And for JJ, I bet that every team in the league wants a player like him on their squad. We're in a good position to give him a nice contract because he deserves one. I don't want to hear about his age blah blah blah. Him and TJ make a great duo off the bench.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 144,601

Post#700 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Harjo wrote:Fantastic interview from D-Waiters there.

I think the Waiters contract will play out the same exact way it did with Dragic. He will get a call at midnight. We will give him a fair offer and he will accept. If we sign Waiters 15 and JJ 10 that's going to be a huge chunk of the cap space assuming we have about 35-40 to play with. If we get a big player this off season i'm guessing it's going to come in the form of trade using a combination of our 1st rd pick, Winslow or Rich or maybe both with McBob's contract tossed in. I also can imagine us resigning Willie Reed to a contract of about 6-8 million. Maybe even gets the mid level.

Return to Miami Heat