ImageImageImage

2017 Draft Thread 2.0- Something to... Lmfao.. lol @

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Who do you want from realistic options such as T.J. Leaf? Vote T.J. Now

T.J. Leaf
14%
John Collins
4%
Isaiah Hartenstein
4%
OG Anunoby
9%
Justin Jackson
13%
Justin Patton
5%
Harry Giles
8%
Zach Collins
19%
Luke Kennard
9%
Other
15%

Total votes: 93

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,735

Re: 2017 Draft Thread 2.0- Something to... Lmfao.. lol @ 

Post#1101 » by DayofMourning » Sat May 27, 2017 8:06 pm

contract wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:We are going to be strapped for cash before we know it, so we might as well add a few more young guys at low cost.

We need a stretch forward and a backup big by my account. Swani and Bryant?

If we become strapped for cash, that's on Pat Riley. There isn't a single all star (yet) on this team or anything even approaching a max salary contract.

Whiteside will be our top paid player next season, and he may not crack the 25 highest paid players in the NBA.

Currently we don't have anyone that will see a $30 million salary until Whiteside opts out and re-signs in 2019. And no other player currently on this team will come anywhere close to that number. There's no excuse for cap problems for this team once Bosh is off the books.

Do you think we will resign Waiters, JJ, and Willie? Who do you plan on keeping and what would the total cap hit be for them next year?
leoshes
Veteran
And1: 5,437

Post#1102 » by leoshes » Sat May 27, 2017 8:08 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
leoshes wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:I like him a lot. I just think the pressing need is for a PF/C type. Winslow is most likely starting and I can see us going after a veteran backup/starter for the right price behind him.

But last year the best team we could put on the floor did not include Winslow. Our 4 best players were Whiteside, JJ, Dion, & Dragic. Winslow would cloge up the midle. Thats why Mcgruder started for his range. Winslow is best used as a back up PF, so we need to find a starting caliber SF. When ever Winslow starts shooting over 40% from the field, & over 30% from three then maybe we can start thinking about starting him. Till then he is only a defensive bench player. I can see Winslow playing heavy min against PG, & Bron, & even closing games.

Most early reports have Winslow as our starting SF. The organization still thinks very highly of him and will give him another opportunity to succeed without the cloud of injury.

I feel the same way. I believe that the HEAT will want to start him because they are invested in him, but if they can find a starting caliber vet SF in free agency, then i think he will come off the bench. I hope he comes back with an improved outside shot. Then there wont be any doubt. We would have our starter for the future. But untill then i rather start Rich for now. Yeah even over McGuder.
leoshes
Veteran

Post#1103 » by leoshes » Sat May 27, 2017 9:51 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
contract wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:We are going to be strapped for cash before we know it, so we might as well add a few more young guys at low cost.

We need a stretch forward and a backup big by my account. Swani and Bryant?

If we become strapped for cash, that's on Pat Riley. There isn't a single all star (yet) on this team or anything even approaching a max salary contract.

Whiteside will be our top paid player next season, and he may not crack the 25 highest paid players in the NBA.

Currently we don't have anyone that will see a $30 million salary until Whiteside opts out and re-signs in 2019. And no other player currently on this team will come anywhere close to that number. There's no excuse for cap problems for this team once Bosh is off the books.

Do you think we will resign Waiters, JJ, and Willie? Who do you plan on keeping and what would the total cap hit be for them next year?

When it come to importance i believe JJ should be 1st, with Dion 2nd, Willie 3rd, & Ellington 4th.

But if we draft a defensive minded PF/C Willie could move to 4th . Its close.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 144,616

Post#1104 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sat May 27, 2017 10:43 pm

I'm hoping Portland covets TJ Leaf and we threaten to take him with the 14th pick. Maybe get them to buckle in swapping the 14 and 15 if they throw in the 26th pick.
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,458

Post#1105 » by Bishop45 » Sun May 28, 2017 12:00 am

Love OG but too much about his potential hinges on how he returns from this injury, if he loses any athleticism then that's a slight. Wish he was available for at least a litmus test on how he's progressing but that wouldn't be a good look for him

Nothing short of Leaf/Patton with the 14th, unless Mitchell/ZCollins falls. Leaf/Patton have 2nd option/franchise player-like ceilings if they can reach their offensive potential. Leaf being rated in Ball/Steve Alford's shadow could make him a real come up
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#1106 » by puppa bear » Sun May 28, 2017 12:47 am

Bishop45 wrote:Love OG but too much about his potential hinges on how he returns from this injury, if he loses any athleticism then that's a slight. Wish he was available for at least a litmus test on how he's progressing but that wouldn't be a good look for him

Nothing short of Leaf/Patton with the 14th, unless Mitchell/ZCollins falls. Leaf/Patton have 2nd option/franchise player-like ceilings if they can reach their offensive potential. Leaf being rated in Ball/Steve Alford's shadow could make him a real come up

I don't see Mitchell being in the same class as ZCollins - Collins has been late-teens all season, and recently surged up to lotto. Mitchell has been 20s & has moved into the lotto on d-ex. Kennard took that guard spot in another draft, Ferguson has been in that late-lotto SG spot all season.

This was a 11-player draft, then Collins showed up & made it a 12-player draft, then Bridges returned and it went back to 11. If OG hadn't gotten injured I think he would be in that list, and Giles injury & role prevented him from reaching that level. After those 11 there's a massive bunch of mid-tier players, any of which could be available for us.

The only players I would ever as "falling" to us are: Fultz, Ball, JJ, Tatum, Fox, Monk, Ntilikana, Markkannen, Isaac, ZCollins,Smith. Anyone else is likely available at 14. Having an idea of the needs of Detroit and Denver would help, but it's probably a crap shoot after those 11.

Players I see who have potential to be late first gems (legit starters to stars): Hartenstein, Leaf, OG, Giles, Patton, Allen, Mitchell, Kennard, Anigbongu, Bam, JJUNC, Kurucs, Rabb, FJackson, Semi. Some have injury question marks, some will need to land in exactly the right spot for them, and others it will be more of a coin-toss on what chances they get.

The list for potential bench contributor on a good team is even longer, but let's just say it includes he rest of the people we've discussed on this board and a bunch more.

Through all this discussion I'm still on 3 players: Giles, Semi, Hartenstein. If we can walk away with 2 of them I'll be happy. I think there's a place on our roster for all three, especially if Weed doesn't resign. Semi I project as a major upgrade on McGruder, and a more offensively minded antidote to Winslow - Winslow/Semi as the SF rotation has potential to be devastating. Giles is the prototypical small-ball 5, and his range is much better than advertised at Duke, so as long as the knees check out then we'd have ourselves a modern KG to bring along behind Whiteside, and maybe play next to him once his range is fully developed. Hartenstein is the other part to that, and developing two modern post players is tricky, but he has the potential to be even more impactful on the offensive end, and with his aggressive nature he could be pushed and driven to be his best within Spo's tutilege.
I think we have enough guard/wing talent for now, but we will need a true PG at some point to start to bring on behind Dragic. But not this year - get the forward spots on lock down.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#1107 » by SlowPaced » Sun May 28, 2017 1:26 am

Zach Collins is the best prospect on the list, but no chance he falls to 14.

I'd either trade the pick, or make a high risk/high reward selection like Harry Giles or Isaiah Hartenstein. Wouldn't mind Donovan Mitchell either. No interest in guys like T.J. Leaf, John Collins, Justin Patton, Ivan Rabb. I like Justin Jackson and Luke Kennard as solid players but wouldn't be pleased with just one "solid player" type.

I think the best move would be to trade the pick to either Blazers for #20 and #26, Nets for #22 and #27 or Jazz for #24 and #30. The teens range isn't that good in comparison to the average draft, but late first-early second range is pretty good. Dream scenario for me would be to trade down and get two of Semi Ojeleye, Josh Hart, Jawun Evans and Cameron Oliver.
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#1108 » by HeatIn5 » Sun May 28, 2017 6:05 am

SlowPaced wrote:Zach Collins is the best prospect on the list, but no chance he falls to 14.

I'd either trade the pick, or make a high risk/high reward selection like Harry Giles or Isaiah Hartenstein. Wouldn't mind Donovan Mitchell either. No interest in guys like T.J. Leaf, John Collins, Justin Patton, Ivan Rabb. I like Justin Jackson and Luke Kennard as solid players but wouldn't be pleased with just one "solid player" type.

I think the best move would be to trade the pick to either Blazers for #20 and #26, Nets for #22 and #27 or Jazz for #24 and #30. The teens range isn't that good in comparison to the average draft, but late first-early second range is pretty good. Dream scenario for me would be to trade down and get two of Semi Ojeleye, Josh Hart, Jawun Evans and Cameron Oliver.

I'd love this, but with the 2 picks I think I'm taking Jonathan Jeanne to replace Weed and eventually replace Hassan in 3 years and then Ojeleye/Oliver with the other
Read on Twitter
Burnie Riley
Sixth Man
And1: 3,588

Post#1109 » by Burnie Riley » Sun May 28, 2017 9:18 am

Bishop45 wrote:
Nothing short of Leaf/Patton with the 14th, unless Mitchell/ZCollins falls. Leaf being rated in Ball/Steve Alford's shadow could make him a real come up

Lavar Ball is due for some karma. Perhaps the basketball gods will make him pay for his racist comments and make his boy a bust and Leaf a star :lol:

Did dis dude Mitchell come out of nowhere? Some mocks I see now have him going higher than 14. I didn't watch him at all this season, but doing some research everyone says dis dude is a dog and we all know, "you gotta be a dog to play in Miami."

People are comparing him to Avery Bradley, I like the dx stat of him being in the 90th percentile in unguarded spot up or catch and shoot. I see some Westbrook, better defense, but not dominant offense and probably wont be the triple double threat, more of a role player probably, but u never know (Westbrook had similar stats, similar rebounding but RW had more assists)( Alright here are there college career stats per 40, both played 2 seasons:
Westbrook: 15 pts, 4.4 reb, 4.7 ast, 1.9 stl, 0.2 blk, 2.3 tov 49% from 2, 35% from 3, 69% FT
D. Mitchell: 18 pts, 6.3 reb, 3.4 ast, 2.2 stl, 0.5 blk, 2.0 tov, 50% from 2, 33% from 3, 79% FT
(Wow looking at those numbers almost makes me want to pound the table and go full JLop! :o

He can get to the rim but dx says he settles for midrange jumpers. That's correctable. Gogi can teach him that. Frankie put up some footage, so I'll highlight the best stuff to save y'all some time.

0:16 sick dunk
1:44 nice step back
1:53 attacks da hoop
2:55 knifes true dat defense like hot butter baby, Og was like aint nuttin I could do bout dat.
3:01 knifes true again and Og like who is dis dude?
3:15 sick spin move. Og is like dis dude got me tree times already.
3:45 coast to coast like goatbrook
3:53 sick ballhandling to get to the rim. Da skills r dere
5:20 drives and bumps da big like gogi
5:27 passing vision
6:30 dats a big dog rebound
6:38 dats dat dog defense
8:23 omg I love dat carry over move to get to da basket

Some of the guards ahead of him are going to bust. This might be the BPA if he's there at 14. We all assume Waiters is coming back but I'm not sure how high an offer they'll make and rightfully so. I know if they go too high, Rex may never return.

I see my minions have been spreading the Marksmanen weaknesses tape, as I've seen 3 mocks this week with Marksmanen at 14 :nod:
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#1110 » by SlowPaced » Sun May 28, 2017 11:45 am

JustiseForMiami wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:Zach Collins is the best prospect on the list, but no chance he falls to 14.

I'd love this, but with the 2 picks I think I'm taking Jonathan Jeanne to replace Weed and eventually replace Hassan in 3 years and then Ojeleye/Oliver with the other

Hassan can be a rim protector and defensive anchor well into his 30s with his length, don't think we'll need to replace him. His offense will decline, but does Jeanne really offer much offense himself?

I think Jawun Evans is the possible steal of the draft, very high on that dude, I have him in my Top 10. Lightning quick, can shoot, good floor general. Small guards like him are having the time of their lives in the NBA right now. Think he can be a Dragic replacement.
BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 10,820

Post#1111 » by BFRESH44 » Sun May 28, 2017 12:56 pm

There is a whole lot to like about Donovan Mitchell. A whole lot.
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,458

Post#1112 » by Bishop45 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Burnie Riley wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:
Nothing short of Leaf/Patton with the 14th, unless Mitchell/ZCollins falls. Leaf being rated in Ball/Steve Alford's shadow could make him a real come up

Lavar Ball is due for some karma. Perhaps the basketball gods will make him pay for his racist comments and make his boy a bust and Leaf a star :lol:

Spoiler:
Did dis dude Mitchell come out of nowhere? Some mocks I see now have him going higher than 14. I didn't watch him at all this season, but doing some research everyone says dis dude is a dog and we all know, "you gotta be a dog to play in Miami."

People are comparing him to Avery Bradley, I like the dx stat of him being in the 90th percentile in unguarded spot up or catch and shoot. I see some Westbrook, better defense, but not dominant offense and probably wont be the triple double threat, more of a role player probably, but u never know (Westbrook had similar stats, similar rebounding but RW had more assists)( Alright here are there college career stats per 40, both played 2 seasons:
Westbrook: 15 pts, 4.4 reb, 4.7 ast, 1.9 stl, 0.2 blk, 2.3 tov 49% from 2, 35% from 3, 69% FT
D. Mitchell: 18 pts, 6.3 reb, 3.4 ast, 2.2 stl, 0.5 blk, 2.0 tov, 50% from 2, 33% from 3, 79% FT
(Wow looking at those numbers almost makes me want to pound the table and go full JLop! :o

He can get to the rim but dx says he settles for midrange jumpers. That's correctable. Gogi can teach him that. Frankie put up some footage, so I'll highlight the best stuff to save y'all some time.

0:16 sick dunk
1:44 nice step back
1:53 attacks da hoop
2:55 knifes true dat defense like hot butter baby, Og was like aint nuttin I could do bout dat.
3:01 knifes true again and Og like who is dis dude?
3:15 sick spin move. Og is like dis dude got me tree times already.
3:45 coast to coast like goatbrook
3:53 sick ballhandling to get to the rim. Da skills r dere
5:20 drives and bumps da big like gogi
5:27 passing vision
6:30 dats a big dog rebound
6:38 dats dat dog defense
8:23 omg I love dat carry over move to get to da basket

Some of the guards ahead of him are going to bust. This might be the BPA if he's there at 14. We all assume Waiters is coming back but I'm not sure how high an offer they'll make and rightfully so. I know if they go too high, Rex may never return.

I see my minions have been spreading the Marksmanen weaknesses tape, as I've seen 3 mocks this week with Marksmanen at 14 :nod:

Hate to see any kid bust because of their dad but the notion that everyone on that team had a good season because of Ball is ludicrous. He's been shooting 36% from 3 since being a sophomore in high school with comparable FT, FG, AST/TO %( Well comparable for High school, http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/tj-leaf/4_eO8_TpEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm)

I like Donovan too, he didn't really come out of nowhere, he was hanging around 20-30 in most drafts before the combine, really set him up. Even if he fell to us, hard to say if he's a better pick than Leaf considering we don't really need any combo guards and Leaf has most of the attributes we'd want out of a stretch 4 and it's one of our direct needs
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#1113 » by Rastas » Sun May 28, 2017 3:13 pm

;t=103s

Any interest in this Jonah Bolden kid - it seems a few Portland fans want him at 15 .
As a fellow aussie I would rather him on the Heat as I love your board .
21yo 6'10'' PF/SF 225lbs with a decent 3 and defence with athleticism to burn.
Mars
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,174

Post#1114 » by Mars » Sun May 28, 2017 3:15 pm

Pitino offers insight on Heat draft possibilities

Barry Jackson | Miami Herald
May 28, 2017

MIAMI — The Heat placed a premium on shooting last season – a strategy that paid dividends in the second half of the season - and that makes a few prospects in the Heat’s draft range – UCLA’s TJ Leaf and Duke’s Luke Kennard, and to a lesser extent, North Carolina’s Justin Jackson – particularly interesting.

In a recent private conversation about draft prospects in the Heat’s range at No. 14, always-interesting Louisville coach Rick Pitino was particularly effusive about Leaf and Kennard, who are both being closely studied by Heat officials...

...Pitino, who has a residence in South Florida and was in town recently to play in the Masters Basketball Tournament, shared with me his thoughts on a few other players in Miami’s range...

Link
GUTS™
leoshes
Veteran

Post#1115 » by leoshes » Sun May 28, 2017 7:05 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:I'm hoping Portland covets TJ Leaf and we threaten to take him with the 14th pick. Maybe get them to buckle in swapping the 14 and 15 if they throw in the 26th pick.

I like this much better then the 20th, & 26th. Lets hope they bite.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,455

Post#1116 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:32 pm

I think the fact that Justin Jackson and Leaf are above average ball-handlers at their respective positions gives them an edge when it comes to possibly being drafted by the Heat. Justin Jackson has a higher pure point rating than Josh Jackson, in fact the former is #2 among SFs in PPR. The Heat covet guys who can handle the ball. We've seen James Johnson and Winslow being given ball-handling duties when Goran isn't in, so why not draft a player who's able to do the same?
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#1117 » by RJM » Mon May 29, 2017 4:08 am

There's a lot of the Good Waiters in this kid. I'm intrigued by him. One thing that seems clear here, however--if he were 6'6, he'd be a Top 3 pick, no question.
Burnie Riley
Sixth Man

Post#1118 » by Burnie Riley » Mon May 29, 2017 10:09 am

DoM, do yourself a favor and skip to 4:11 of this lauri vid at the draft lottery:

Spoiler:
Day of Mourning meets Day of Markannen
look how genuinely excited zo looks. :o
Burnie Riley
Sixth Man

Post#1119 » by Burnie Riley » Mon May 29, 2017 10:17 am

This is a must watch for the heat scouting dept.:

Watch around 11:40 in 2nd half. Mitchell scores 8 pts in a minute and looks like Damian Lillard. Then around 7:30 he scores around 5 pts in a minute and looks like a stud doing it.
Pitino says he is going to be a PG in the league and was better as a Pg for the cardinals. If so, then his size is great for that position. He runs the pick and roll well. Either he use his speed to get to the rim or he is good at hitting the roll man. I think the potential is there. If he runs the point I see a guy who might average 18 to 20 pts , 6 ast and 5 reb and 2 stl in his prime. Hot take: I am moving him ahead of DSJ and Ntilikina and Monk. :crazy: :lol:

Anunoby guards him a lot in this game. Anunoby is a warrior, but the offensive upside isn't there. He looks raw like Deng coming over from Manute Bol's basketball camp. Still like him too.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,212

Post#1120 » by twix2500 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am

JESUS CHRIST!

Deonte Burton
6'5 w/shoes, 6'3 3/4 witout shoes - 260 - 6'11 Wingspan - Max Vert The Moon - Pts 15.1 - Rbs 6.2 - FG% 45.5 - FG%3 377.5 - 3ptAtt 3.2

-Iowa State's Deonte Burton is one of the more unique prospects physically in this draft class, standing 6'3 3/4 without shoes, with a gigantic 6'11 1/2 wingspan. Weighing 266 pounds, its difficult to find a player in our extensive database who measured over 250 pounds and under 6'6 in shoes, besides the likes of Charles Barkley and Antonio Gates. Burton has the length to play the power forward position, even if he's severely undersized for that spot, but he'll almost undoubtedly have to shed at least 15-20 pounds to try and improve his lateral quickness. Burton's impressive athleticism, combined with his budding perimeter shooting (he went 4/8 for 3 at the PIT in three games, after shooting 38% on 3.2 attempts per game as a senior) will at least give NBA teams room for pause in evaluating his prospects. Averaging 24 points and 6 assists per-40 at Portsmouth, he certainly showed some interesting things, and will likely be a popular player to invite for private workouts this spring. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/portsmouth-invitational-tournament-measurements-and-athletic-testing-5898/ ©DraftExpress
[url]http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Deonte-Burton-72539/
[/url]

Return to Miami Heat