Some 2008 Top Prospects

Moderator: Crowned

bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 5,959
And1: 14
Joined: Jul 25, 2006
Contact:
       

Some 2008 Top Prospects 

Post#1 » by bryant08 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:53 pm

The 2008 draft is still a while away, but with some good looking prospects coming in, I thought this would would be a good time (especially with the World Juniors on right now) to start discussing some of the top prospects available in the upcoming draft. I'm just gonna talk about the ones I know best, and who I have watched extensively:

1. Steven Stamkos, Sarnia Sting, 32 games played, 51 points [C]
- dynamic all around with C with good eye for the net; can score and plays a solid defensive game; no extensive flaws in his game
Prediction: Franchise Player

2. Drew Doughty, Guelph Storm, 30 games played, 31 points [D]
- another all around player who excels at every field of the game; is a great passer and is very agile; sometimes gets too fancy and needs to keep it simple
Prediction: #1 Defenseman

3. Alex Pietrangelo, Niagara Ice Dogs, 28 games played, 28 points [D]
- a smooth defenseman with great core skills and ideal size, needs to add a mean streak to his game and is a little soft for someone with that much ability
Prediction: Top pairing Defenseman

4. Kyle Beach, Everett Silvertips, 33 games played, 48 points [C]
- a big centre with untapped offensive potential, plays a strong physical game and has a low centre of gravity; watching him a lot I would compare him to Eric Lindros
- been criticized a lot for unability to keep his temper in check, and sometimes will take dumb penalties, or not represent himself well off the ice
Prediction: Top 6 forward, if he keeps himself out of trouble, possible #1 C

5. Nikita Filatov, CSKA Moskva, 1 game played, 0 points [W]
- all around offensive player who can tear up the score sheet; has great goal scoring ability, has no size/strength to his game, but is a smooth skater (much like other Russian prospects)
- (haven't watched him in the Russian league, have simply heard things from colleagues about his play)
Prediction: Boom or bust, anywhere from top line to 3rd

These are NOT my top 5 picks for the 2008 draft, yet simply the 5 I know most about. Feel free to add in your profiles on other prospects since we have quite a knowledgable forum.
:D
Griff83
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,810
And1: 155
Joined: Dec 10, 2006

 

Post#2 » by Griff83 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:28 pm

seeing how the Leafs will prolly be in the 8-13 range a played id like for them to draft is Luke Schenn.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 12,160
And1: 85
Joined: Jul 04, 2006

 

Post#3 » by ajaX82 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:41 am

nice list.

Im not too versed on prospects. Is this a deep draft class? Is anyone comparable to a Crosby or Ovechkin or Malkin type player?
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 4,415
And1: 27
Joined: Jun 22, 2003
Location: Toronto

 

Post#4 » by Crowned » Tue Jan 1, 2008 8:42 am

ajaX82 wrote:nice list.

Im not too versed on prospects. Is this a deep draft class? Is anyone comparable to a Crosby or Ovechkin or Malkin type player?



Stamkos is going to be a special player. He won't be on the same level as a Crosby or Ovechkin, but you can already tell that there's something about him that'll absolutely allow him to have a successful career.

I've really been following him throughout the World Juniors, and he's played rather well.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 4,415
And1: 27
Joined: Jun 22, 2003
Location: Toronto

 

Post#5 » by Crowned » Tue Jan 1, 2008 8:43 am

Also, within the next week or two...I'm going to start putting player profiles up again. I'd like to get a head start on it, and not wait until just before the draft like last offseason. That way, I can modify my posts with points and overall stock movement.


Good overall analysis Bryant. I'd be inclined to put Pietrangelo in the top 5 as of right now though.
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 5,959
And1: 14
Joined: Jul 25, 2006
Contact:
       

 

Post#6 » by bryant08 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:42 pm

Crowned wrote:Also, within the next week or two...I'm going to start putting player profiles up again. I'd like to get a head start on it, and not wait until just before the draft like last offseason. That way, I can modify my posts with points and overall stock movement.


Good overall analysis Bryant. I'd be inclined to put Pietrangelo in the top 5 as of right now though.


I have a feeling the World Juniors pefromance by Doughty will be pulling him up, but I still see Pietrangelo and him on the same level. I really have the feeling he'll be going 3rd overall, and as a poster above mentioned Schenn looks like a lock to be a safe/solid pick in the top 5-12. But again, I never said Pietrangelo would be in the top 5, those are just the 5 I know most about as a spectator.
Griff83
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,810
And1: 155
Joined: Dec 10, 2006

 

Post#7 » by Griff83 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:18 pm

the players I was impressed with in this tournament outside of Stamkos/Doughty were Filatov, Tikhanov, Hedman and Schenn. Tikhanov will prolly be a pick in the 2nd-3rd round while Hedman isnt eligible until the 2009 draft. I wouldnt be upset at all if the leafs draft either Filatov or Schenn if they have a pick around #5. How I see the top 5-

1. Stamkos
2. Doughty
3. Pietrangelo
4. Schenn
5. Filatov

some sleepers (Colin Wilson, Hodgson, Bogosian)
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 5,959
And1: 14
Joined: Jul 25, 2006
Contact:
       

 

Post#8 » by bryant08 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:45 pm

^None of your bottom 3 are truly sleepers, those guys are definite top 10-15 picks. Hedman has been compared to Pronger as I'm sure many of you heard, but from what I saw in the World Juniors he has plenty of ability/potential, but isn't ready yet. Can't wait to see him next year in Ottawa. I could realistically see Hodgson even going around 6-9, and Wilson going around 10.

Guys who are going to rise as the draft comes nearer IMO: Zach Boychuk, Michael Del Zotto, and Mikkel Boedker. Boedker is just soo explosive and Del Zotto is oozing with potential. This draft is mainly going to be remembered for Stamkos/Filatov and a bunch of solid dmen (Doughty, Pietrangelo, Del Zotto, Schenn, Teubert).

Tikhanov should be a solid pick (I'm sure some of you remember his father Viktor), although outside the World Juniors I've seen nothing of him.
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 5,959
And1: 14
Joined: Jul 25, 2006
Contact:
       

 

Post#9 » by bryant08 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:47 pm

O ya, and Kyle Beach's stock will drop a lot IMO. His attitude problems will scare teams away, and he'll probably end up being drafted around 10, and possibly later depending on how some of these prospects emerge.
Griff83
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,810
And1: 155
Joined: Dec 10, 2006

 

Post#10 » by Griff83 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:49 pm

bryant08 wrote:^None of your bottom 3 are truly sleepers, those guys are definite top 10-15 picks. Hedman has been compared to Pronger as I'm sure many of you heard, but from what I saw in the World Juniors he has plenty of ability/potential, but isn't ready yet. Can't wait to see him next year in Ottawa. I could realistically see Hodgson even going around 6-9, and Wilson going around 10.

Guys who are going to rise as the draft comes nearer IMO: Zach Boychuk, Michael Del Zotto, and Mikkel Boedker. Boedker is just soo explosive and Del Zotto is oozing with potential. This draft is mainly going to be remembered for Stamkos/Filatov and a bunch of solid dmen (Doughty, Pietrangelo, Del Zotto, Schenn, Teubert).

Tikhanov should be a solid pick (I'm sure some of you remember his father Viktor), although outside the World Juniors I've seen nothing of him.


I mean sleeper in terms of a player who could crack the 5th pick if some GM wants to take a flier on a player similar to what happened with Thomas Hickey in last years draft where he went a decent bit higher then most people thought he would.
User avatar
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst
Posts: 3,396
And1: 0
Joined: May 03, 2005

 

Post#11 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:33 am

Luke Schenn is a beast. He plays alot like Regher on defense, very physical and great at intercepting the puck. He is a more offensive Robyn Regher. That says a lot considering I think Regher is the best defensive defenseman in the game. Luke Schenn is a complete beast.
NeverGoingToWin
Veteran
Posts: 2,901
And1: 14
Joined: Aug 02, 2005

 

Post#12 » by NeverGoingToWin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:33 am

Return to NHL Draft