ImageImage

OT: LeBron Bashin T-Shirts...

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,358

Re: OT: LeBron Bashin T-Shirts... 

Post#41 » by emunney » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:06 am

If the Heat win the title this year, nobody's going to be talking about LeBron's flagging brand.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#42 » by Nebula1 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:15 am

All I know is there were alot of people who don't watch the NBA, don't care about basketball, maybe know who Kobe is, have no basketball passion.... were talking about James. The brand will be fine, although I don't like his shoes.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,885

Post#43 » by skbucks1985 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:27 am

emunney wrote:If the Heat win the title this year, nobody's going to be talking about LeBron's flagging brand.

I disagree. This was a guy whose first introductions to the public were "The chosen one," "The heir to the air," "The King" and a number of other grandiose titles. He's never going to be viewed in that light again, and I don't know how he surpasses Kobe as the player of this generation.
rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 546
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Post#44 » by rrravenred » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:17 am

jerrod wrote:
rrravenred wrote:"The Decision" wasn't good marketing, it actually trashed his brand.

trashed his brand? you have to be kidding me

Anyone who's not a Heat fan who came away from that thinking Lebron was a better person or a better basketball player must have had the sound turned down and the Brightness set to zero.
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
turbo2k
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#45 » by turbo2k » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:27 am

I can't believe people think that he didn't hurt his brand. Say what you will about the way Clevelanders' reacted, but the entire world rode his balls before 'the decision' (save for some minor grumblings about his cockiness). Now somewhere between half and 3/4 of the country hates him. This hate will die, and he will recover, but you have to be blind to say his brand and legacy were tainted in the least bit. If he handled this properly, pretty much only Cleveland wouldn't like him right now.

P.S. This hurt ESPN as well
Newz wrote:I would also like it to be known that David Lee has not won an ESPY yet. This is **** ridiculous and it is obvious that they are doing it just to put him down. He should win all awards.
David Lee = Robbed again.

http://www.saveourbucks.com
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#46 » by blkout » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:50 am

I can't understand anyone having any sympathy for LeBron at all. I sympathize with the Cav fans, they were pretty much humiliated on national TV with no real warning. LeBron's a coward and as immature as they come, but he'll probably win championships with this team in the future so I guess ultimately he'll get what he wants.

Anyone wondering why Dan Gilbert reacted like he did only needs to look at the Cavs roster for the upcoming season. No draft picks at all last season, Antawn Jamison and Mo Williams (two LeBron requests) as your two best players making a combined 46 million dollars, only two players under 25 years old. I'd be pissed off too.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#47 » by WEFFPIM » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:57 am

I agree with Luke 150%

*world ends*

Frankly, anyone who is wondering why Clevelanders are so mad at all this is just not paying any attention.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,885

Post#48 » by skbucks1985 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:09 am

I was a Lebron fan before this, but have since soured on him because of how he handled this. But even I have to admit I've been shocked by just how much of a beating he's taken. I was watching Outside The Lines yesterday and the question was who has hurt their public image more, Lebron or Tiger. Now, Tiger did win with an overwhelming majority, but the fact that this question could even be asked shows just how much backlash there is towards Lebron. This hate will die. But prior to this he had a pretty pristine image, he had some detractors due to his pregame antics but for the most part very few had bad things to say about him. That pristine image will forever be tarnished.

I'm certainly not comparing what they did, but its similar to Kobe after Eagle, Co. Kobe has seen his popularity restored to a certain degree, but certainly not fully. The question I have is how does Lebron restore his public image? Unlike Ray Lewis and Kobe, his stuff is on the court. So in some ways the more success the Heat have the more it will prove his detractors right.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#49 » by Nebula1 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:11 am

I have a feeling that the Wade/Lebron divorce will be messy as well and Bosh will be the child who must decide where he wants to live. Stay with dad in Miami... or go with mom to New York...

I also feel like Pat Riley is the Al Pacino character in The Devils Advocate...

Image = Image

(notice Wade behind Riley)

Also think it's interesting that, if they get there, that Kobe would have to defeat this team to tie Jordan in rings. Glad Lebron helped people see Kobe better.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#50 » by jerrod » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:00 pm

BLKOUT wrote:I can't understand anyone having any sympathy for LeBron at all. I sympathize with the Cav fans, they were pretty much humiliated on national TV with no real warning. LeBron's a coward and as immature as they come, but he'll probably win championships with this team in the future so I guess ultimately he'll get what he wants.

why does anyone need sympathy? this is how the nba works, his contract was up, he decided to sign somewhere else and he announced it on tv. he didn't insult any fanbase, he stayed there for 7 years. if he quit so badly on the team, why would they be upset about him leaving?

i just think people are being overlysensitive little bitches about this. honestly.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,203

Post#51 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:03 pm

why does anyone need sympathy? this is how the nba works, his contract was up, he decided to sign somewhere else and he announced it on tv. he didn't insult any fanbase, he stayed there for 7 years. if he quit so badly on the team, why would they be upset about him leaving?

i just think people are being oversensitive little bitches about this. honestly.

This is oversimplification in addition to just being flat out wrong. You always back players on everything no matter what, so I expect this from you jerrod, but if you're seriously questioning why Cavs fans are pissed, I don't know what to say to you.

"If he quit so badly on them, why are they upset about him leaving"? Umm, how about being upset for both him quitting and him leaving?

Are you trying to rationalize him quitting in the playoffs as well? Or is that OK too?
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#52 » by jerrod » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:14 pm

of course cavs fans are upset that he left. but why are people acting like he did anything malicious to them? if you're mad that he left cleveland, do you not think he should be allowed to decide where he signs?

if you're upset that he quit on the team (against the celtics, i'm not convinced he did against the magic), what does that have to do with what team he's on?

if you're mad about how he left? do you really think it hurts your average cleveland fan any more because he did it on tv? no matter what, every cavs fan was gonna have that moment where they found out for sure that he was leaving. that's completely unavoidable.

of course i side with the player, it's his decision. should i sign with the fans who are just mad that they lost the only thing that made them relevant? should i sign with the owner whose just mad that his team's value just dropped by $100 million? i'll side with the person who put himself in a better opportunity to win a title, isn't that the whole point?

so what should he have done? post the word "miami" on twitter at 3am so he can be called a coward and look like he's not confident in his decision. i just don't think he can win with you guys.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#53 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:16 pm

so what should he have done?

1. Not quit on his team in the playoffs
2. Not rip his hometown teams fans hearts out on national TV
3. Stick around and finish what HE started (those were the players HE WANTED, which for some odd reason continues to get overlooked).

But no, amassing the roster as he sees fit, babying out in the playoffs, then bolting in dramatic fashion sounds like a much better option.
stevescheffler06
Analyst
And1: 223

Post#54 » by stevescheffler06 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:18 pm

I think it's pretty blatantly obvious. He was the first player of any sport in the history of sports to hold an hour long prime time television special devoted completely to themselves an their decision. It also sounds like Cleveland hadn't been in the running for weeks and yet he continued to deliberately give false hope to the Cleveland fans in order to prop himself up even further with better ratings. For RATINGS. Not even for more money which I could at least understand a little better.

I have no problem with him leaving. I have a huge problem with "the Decision".
Sneaky Pete wrote:In Disgiuse.
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#55 » by step3profit » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:26 pm

Let's get back to the topic of tshirts.

Can anyone make a "3 wolf moon" style shirt with Bosh, Wade, and Bronny?

http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1C1CHF ... CDoQsAQwAw
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,358

Post#56 » by emunney » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:34 pm

safi wrote:
emunney wrote:If the Heat win the title this year, nobody's going to be talking about LeBron's flagging brand.

I disagree. This was a guy whose first introductions to the public were "The chosen one," "The heir to the air," "The King" and a number of other grandiose titles. He's never going to be viewed in that light again, and I don't know how he surpasses Kobe as the player of this generation.

I guess we'll find out if/when he starts winning titles. In sports, and in our culture in general, winning has always cured all. What did it do to MJ's brand when he quit not only on his team, but on the ENTIRE SPORT and started playing baseball for no reason? Did it matter once he came back and won titles? The only thing hurting LeBron's brand and 'legacy' long term is not winning championships. He would have had haters no matter what he did -- that's part of the price of stardom.

Right now, before any games have been played, it's much easier to get away with saying that LeBron is taking a backseat to Wade. Wait until they start playing. That's going to be an all new team. How many people would have said that Wade is better than LeBron BEFORE this signing? Probably about as many as will be saying it after the season: almost nobody.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#57 » by Newz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:38 pm

emunney wrote:How many people would have said that Wade is better than LeBron BEFORE this signing?

This is the funniest thing about the whole situation.

It was pretty much everyone's opinion that LeBron was a better player than Wade before this all went down. Now all of the sudden everyone is trying to act like Wade is a far superior player and James is going there to mooch off of him or something.

Nothing has changed, LeBron is still the best player on the planet... It's just now he has other all-star/superstar players on his team.
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#58 » by blkout » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:40 pm

jerrod wrote:why does anyone need sympathy? this is how the nba works, his contract was up, he decided to sign somewhere else and he announced it on tv. he didn't insult any fanbase, he stayed there for 7 years. if he quit so badly on the team, why would they be upset about him leaving?

i just think people are being overlysensitive little bitches about this. honestly.

Why call people "little bitches" because you disagree with their opinion? That seems pointless. You don't think he should've at least informed the Cavs that he wouldn't be re-signing there? I didn't mention him "quitting" on the team.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#59 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:42 pm

LeBron is a better individual player than Wade. My bigger beef is him leaving a situation he created/started in his prime to be a ring chaser. He built that team in Cleveland. They made the moves he wanted. He even vetoed an Amare trade (I think he'd look a little better than Jamison right now).

I completely disagree that him winning a title in Cleveland and winning a title now with Wade/Bosh is the same thing. I've seen people argue that I cannot disagree more.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#60 » by Newz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:43 pm

I agree. Winning a title in Cleveland would have been something no one has ever done before in NBA history... Because he would have done it with a far inferior supporting cast.

If he wins one with Wade/Bosh, he is going it with a similar talent level to the other teams who have won champions before.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks