ImageImage

OT - Videogames thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Allanon23
Senior
And1: 102

Re: OT - Videogames thread 

Post#2261 » by Allanon23 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:40 pm

chuckleslove wrote:I actually enjoy the vast majority of VIII too, one of the best soundtracks, great graphics for its time and I loved the draw system, the only complain I had about VIII was the story was a tiny bit convoluted and when you cast spells that you have augmented to your stats you could lower your power mid fight. Other than that it was a pretty damn solid game.

Same here. Plus, it had the best minigame in the history of minigames, Triple Triad
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,606

Post#2262 » by Balls2TheWalls » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:43 pm

I have a really hard time ranking any Final Fantasy games over VI and IV. The storytelling and development in the games is excellent. I am a PC gamer playing Wildstar, WoW (since it is pretty much on easy farm until the next expansion, leaving me time to play Wildstar), D3, League of Legends, and some small indie platformers. As far as consoles, I can't see myself buying any console that would force me to play games repeatedly. Games like Call of Duty have no pull for me. I generally buy Nintendo consoles just to play the Zelda games and Mario games (Kart included).
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,044

Post#2263 » by Siefer » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:00 pm

I think XII is seriously underrated. Some of the best characters, and one of the most mature narratives in the series. My biggest complaint about XII is that the combat gets very repetitive.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,114

Post#2264 » by FrieAaron » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:59 pm

My biggest problem with XII's narrative is I couldn't tell those freaking judges apart.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#2265 » by mattg » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:10 pm

adamcz wrote:
mattg wrote:I've played a bit of 2k14, GTA, and Mario kart 8 this year but otherwise all I've been playing is dota2...IMO significantly better than any of the games that have come out on the consoles recently, especially once you get over the most ridiculous learning curve of all time that makes dota tough to really get into for a lot of people.

I hear you. I play league instead of dota, but there's nothing quite like a team pvp game. It scratches the competitive teamwork itch when I can't play actual team sports. No player vs computer AI is going to be as varied, unpredictable, and engaging as human opponents. The unlimited learning curve of these games is also fun. Even if you've played ten million games, you're still a newb compared to the pros.

Also a big parallel to playing pickup basketball: most players want to "get theirs," and focus as hard on padding their stats as they do on winning. Allowing these emotionally fragile guys to feel like THEY are the most important player alive, telling them good job, doing the little things that don't show up in a box score... It all makes a huge difference in how highly ranked you become. I enjoy trying to be Steve Nash, and just keep things so positive that nobody on my team rage quits after minor setbacks.

You can make up for mechanical shortcomings with an approach like that, just as you can by setting picks, boxing out, and diving for loose balls in basketball.

Definitely. There's just no comparison between team pvp mobas and any other video game in terms of teamwork, coordination, and gameplay. Every game is different. I definitely see the comparison to sports, especially basketball with the 5 man teams and numerous roles that each person fills.

It sounds like you enjoy playing the support role, which is fun and vitally important(especially in dota). I find even simple things such as typing "gj" or "well played" into the team chat after a successful play make a huge difference in team morale. Plus it also allows you to be more suggestive/tell your teammates what they should do without them flaming you.

Just curious, have you tried dota? I gave LoL a try, but since I had already played dota substantially I couldn't do it, mainly the roles that each hero played seemed too set in stone and the item building lacked variance for what I'm used to. I always find it interesting because most people who play dota can never go play LoL without feeling like its too basic by comparison and then the inverse ends up true when LoL players try dota at first. Yet LoL remains significantly more popular overall.

In any case, the fact that these games are free to play is insane to me considering the amount of times I've spent playing them.

Also, all this final fantasy talk and no love for 9? It was arguably my favorite(right there with 7 and I liked it more than 8). Also if any of you are into older jrpg style games I highly recommend the suikoden series. Suikoden 2 is absolutely phenomenal(if you can find it, it's rare these days). Suikoden 1 is on the PS network store or whatever and is worth playing since it's the prequel and can be beaten rather quickly, there are also bonuses in the 2nd if you upload your save game from the first.
Siefer
RealGM

Post#2266 » by Siefer » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:11 pm

FrieAaron wrote:My biggest problem with XII's narrative is I couldn't tell those freaking judges apart.

Spoiler:
Because they were twins!

:reporter:
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,114

Post#2267 » by FrieAaron » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:27 pm

Siefer wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:My biggest problem with XII's narrative is I couldn't tell those freaking judges apart.

Spoiler:
Because they were twins!

Spoiler:
Weren't there a bunch of them? Maybe they weren't all judges, but all those suits of armor looked the same to me :(
Siefer
RealGM

Post#2268 » by Siefer » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:43 pm

FrieAaron wrote:
Siefer wrote:

Spoiler:
Because they were twins!

Spoiler:
Weren't there a bunch of them? Maybe they weren't all judges, but all those suits of armor looked the same to me :(

Spoiler:
There were only a few judges, but the most prominent of them, Gabranth, is the twin brother of Basch (one of the playable characters). In fact, that confusion is one of the key plot points of the game.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#2269 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:07 pm

Allanon23 wrote:
chuckleslove wrote:I actually enjoy the vast majority of VIII too, one of the best soundtracks, great graphics for its time and I loved the draw system, the only complain I had about VIII was the story was a tiny bit convoluted and when you cast spells that you have augmented to your stats you could lower your power mid fight. Other than that it was a pretty damn solid game.

Same here. Plus, it had the best minigame in the history of minigames, Triple Triad

Lead to Questria, which was a Triple Triad-inspired RPG online card game. Through many different names, it carried on over a decade I believe; first happened as I was getting into "internet communities" umpteen years ago. I frequented and modded there for a while, but eventually moved on.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,653

Post#2270 » by TroyD92 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:43 pm

I don't know why any of you bought PS4/One going in with the thought that there would be a vast library available at launch.

The only thing I'm disappointed with was I was hoping the PSN network would have the older PS2 and PS1 games that I could play like on my PS3, but I also knew that was a pretty late feature on the PS3.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#2271 » by crkone » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:54 pm

BuckHole wrote:Has anyone here turned their Wii into a MAME?

:wave:

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#2272 » by crkone » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:07 am

I liked the draw and Junction system of VIII. It was one of the first JRPGs I played. Still have fond memories of the Triple Triad.

Cactuar! Image

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#2273 » by WRau1 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:23 am

Recently got into FF XIV: RR and I like it. Just got my White Mage to 50 and am looking forward to some endgame.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#2274 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:03 am

mattg wrote:Just curious, have you tried dota?

I have tried it, but don't really have a reason to switch. Riot's support of the game is first class, it's always changing and improving, and I'm invested.

Sort of like how I wouldn't switch from Canon to Nikon cameras. They're both great, but I'm already set up with one of them.
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#2275 » by H2tObes » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:17 am

I would never make the switch from LoL to Dota simply because of how much time I've invested into league, and learning the ins and outs of it. Been playing since the Xin Zhao patch season 1, but as Adam said the game is consistently evolving and has yet to lose my interest.

I am not sure if I ever will upgrade to a next gen console, PC gaming has really won me over in the past couple of years.

Add me on league if you play, my SN is Gripe
nmeurett
Bench Warmer
And1: 212

Post#2276 » by nmeurett » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Does anyone on here have an XBOX One or Wii U? Looking for people who have the systems to play online with (Titanfall, NBA 2k14, Mario Cart, COD ect...) as most of my friends here have not made the jump to next gen.

Fell free to add me to your friends list my XBL username and Wii U username are both Wiscompton715.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#2277 » by mattg » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:19 am

Does anybody do any gaming on an ipad/tablet? I've downloaded some pretty slick games on mine and was wondering if there was stuff out there that I've missed. Some great titles I've played are kingdom rush, faster than light, bastion, banana kong, wayward souls, oceanhorn. A lot of good ports out there.
4hitter
Freshman
And1: 50

Post#2278 » by 4hitter » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:49 pm

TroyD92 wrote:I don't know why any of you bought PS4/One going in with the thought that there would be a vast library available at launch.

The only thing I'm disappointed with was I was hoping the PSN network would have the older PS2 and PS1 games that I could play like on my PS3, but I also knew that was a pretty late feature on the PS3.

I believe the plan for those such titles will be to put them on Playstation Now, which I've been beta testing for a month now and works extremely well. I could be wrong but I think I did see a couple PS2 games in the menu of PSNow.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#2279 » by wichmae » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:22 pm

IM still stuck on LoL. Trying to move up to gold but keep getting trolled in silver
Fort Minor
Lead Assistant
And1: 70

Post#2280 » by Fort Minor » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:40 pm

chuckleslove wrote:I think XIII got a pretty bum rap. Other than the ridiculously long intro I enjoyed the gameplay once you got in to the meat of the game, but I think XII was terrible and I don't think XI And XIV should have been given part of the numbered series should have been called online.

VI is my favorite followed fairly closely by IV and V. I think had V come out in the US when it initially launched I would look back on it more fondly since it is really good but I didn't get to play it until many years later.

XIII is deservedly destroyed among fans. It's essentially one long hallway that can be played on auto-mode, without having to put much thought into it. Plus it has one of the worst written video game story I've ever seen.

And then they somehow managed to make two sequels that were WORSE.

Story isn't everything, as I thought the story of VIII was pretty terrible, but the game overall was good enough where I could still enjoy it. The stories of IV, VI, VII, IX, and XIII were much better.

EDIT:

Allanon23 wrote:I had a lot of problems with XIII. You don't leave the hallway of death for like 15 hours, the game basically plays itself (auto-battle ftl), the characters were almost all terrible, and I thought the plot was awful. If it was just one game, I wouldn't despise it as much as I do. But no, they had to go and make two sequels. Two.

But who knows, 10 years from now when SE is releasing FF 22 I might look back on XIII a little kinder. My top 5 are FFVI, FFIV, FFIX, FFV, and FFX. X had the best battle system in the series imo, so despite the awful characters and meh plot I enjoyed the game.

Agreed!

Siefer wrote:I think XII is seriously underrated. Some of the best characters, and one of the most mature narratives in the series. My biggest complaint about XII is that the combat gets very repetitive.

I agree with this. One of the biggest issues lot of people had with the game was something I also had to get over initially: Vaan. He's pointless. You could take him out and the story really wouldn't change at all. So why the hell should we as players have to spend so much time with him?

The other issue was the battle system, but I didn't mind it much, personally.
BuckPack wrote:People still listen to Gery?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks