ImageImage

OT: P90X/Health and Fitness Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Re: OT: P90X/Health and Fitness Thread 

Post#1261 » by BUCKnation » Tue Mar 5, 2013 9:14 pm

All I drink is water other than some milk or healthy juice. I drink a ton of it, sometimes I get up to 100 oz a day on the weekend when Im sitting at home.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#1262 » by emunney » Tue Mar 5, 2013 9:15 pm

You must weigh a thousand pounds!
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1263 » by REDDzone » Tue Mar 5, 2013 9:19 pm

Wilford Brimley wrote:
REDDzone wrote:lol, I started drinking a lot more water, and went from eating 2.5ish meals a day to 4-5 meals a day, and I've never been leaner or in better shape. At least not since highschool.

4-5 small meals?

Well, I have a weird scheduled because I do my workout late at night. I hate eating too much just before bed so mine is a little different. But I usually do:
Fruit and yogurt for breakfast, light snack between breakfast and lunch (usually almonds or something), lunch varies but usually some lean turkey meat on wheat and then a side of veggies, then when I get home from work and do a green smoothie with whatever fruit/veggies I have, and finally dinner which is usually grilled chicken or fish and salad or sweet potatoes or something. This is all just a template, but I try to follow it at least on days I train.

I cheat on the weekends, at least one of the days. I just enjoy eating out too much not to. Could not recommend Costco more, btw.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
BUCKnation
RealGM

Post#1264 » by BUCKnation » Tue Mar 5, 2013 9:21 pm

lol, water doesnt do anything. The water weight thing can effect what the scale says but it doesnt mean anything.

I had friends in HS who were wrestlers and they wouldnt eat or drink anything before a weigh in, but during off time they would carry gallon jugs of water around with them. They werent using creatine either, that I know of, which requires a ton of water consumption.

*not on creatine, btw.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1265 » by REDDzone » Tue Mar 5, 2013 9:21 pm

emunney wrote:You must weigh a thousand pounds!

IDK how he keeps off the milk weight.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#1266 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Mar 5, 2013 9:37 pm

I'm actually eating really well but I'm having a bad time with my office mate and roommate who are the type of people who take the elevator down the stairs cause they are too lazy. It hard to et healthy when there is only junk food around me all day. I can understand letting go when going out to dinner or to the bar but it just drives me nuts when people won't even consider eating healthy.

I'm a huge carrots fan. You can literally eat a pound of carrots in less than 140 calories. For me, it's not so much the taste by the need to constantly be munching on something.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#1267 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Mar 5, 2013 9:44 pm

I'm trying to gain and up about 10 lbs, but seem to be plateauing. Anyone have any good suggestions on good high caloric things to snack on or different gainers. Now that my stomach is used to it, I've switched from Syntha 6 to Muscle Juice.
Do it for Chuck
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1268 » by REDDzone » Tue Mar 5, 2013 9:46 pm

Yea, its hard for me to resist temptation as well when it comes to junk food. Chips and stuff like that mostly, as I have never been big on sweets. The simple thing for me to do is just not buy it, then I know I won't be eating it. Obviously saves money too. Hard to pass it up when I go visit friends/family though.

And yea I can relate as well. I work in a 3 story building with an elevator and its shocking how many people refuse to walk up one single flight of stairs and will wait however long for the elevator. I don't think I'll ever get on that thing just out of principle lol.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#1269 » by Newz » Tue Mar 5, 2013 9:47 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:I'm trying to gain and up about 10 lbs, but seem to be plateauing. Anyone have any good suggestions on good high caloric things to snack on or different gainers. Now that my stomach is used to it, I've switched from Syntha 6 to Muscle Juice.

Are you drinking just regular Whey Protein or actual Weight Gainer? That's a good change to make.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#1270 » by jimmybones » Tue Mar 5, 2013 10:10 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:I'm trying to gain and up about 10 lbs, but seem to be plateauing. Anyone have any good suggestions on good high caloric things to snack on or different gainers. Now that my stomach is used to it, I've switched from Syntha 6 to Muscle Juice.

Weight gainers are expensive and not worth it. Just use plain whey and mix in dextrose to add carbs, way cheaper and exactly the same thing.

My head almost exploded at the water thing. Your body actually holds onto water MORE when you aren't drinking it. Lulz. You're going to dehydrate yourself and that's really stupid and bad for weight loss. When you're even slightly dehydrated your body doesn't burn fat as efficiently. You can also **** up your liver and kidneys.

The eating once a day thing is more along the lines of intermittent fasting or the warrior diet. You purposely "fast" for long periods of the day and eat your meals in one block of time, usually 4-6 hours. I've talked about it in this thread before. You may be eating South Beach foods within that template, but that's not why you're losing weight. You're losing weight because your calories are restricted from eating one meal a day.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#1271 » by jerrod » Tue Mar 5, 2013 10:12 pm

i'm going to start trying to do a homemade smoothie for breakfast (and lunch if it fills me up enough) and then my normal grilled chicken breast, 1/2 to 2/3 of a cup of brown rice and some steamed broccoli for dinner.

i can't quite figure out the carb thing. soon i'll be playing soccer 3 times a week and basketball once and lifting in between when i can. is eating that much brown rice or say a baked potato everyday for lunch too much? i'm still trying to lose weight but i need to have enough energy
BUCKnation
RealGM

Post#1272 » by BUCKnation » Tue Mar 5, 2013 10:28 pm

jerrod wrote:i'm going to start trying to do a homemade smoothie for breakfast (and lunch if it fills me up enough) and then my normal grilled chicken breast, 1/2 to 2/3 of a cup of brown rice and some steamed broccoli for dinner.

i can't quite figure out the carb thing. soon i'll be playing soccer 3 times a week and basketball once and lifting in between when i can. is eating that much brown rice or say a baked potato everyday for lunch too much? i'm still trying to lose weight but i need to have enough energy

I think as long as you are burning off the carbs you should be fine. Its not good when the carbs sit.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#1273 » by jimmybones » Tue Mar 5, 2013 10:41 pm

You're always burning carbs or calories for energy, just at different rates. The simple answer jerrod is no, that's definitely not too much. I'd actually guess the opposite, might not be enough. (long answer:)The goal of weight loss or "toning" isn't to be as low as possible on carbs/calories, it's to eat the right amount of them to be just below what your body needs for energy but not too low as to **** up your metabolism. How many carbs are ok depends on a lot of things- height, weight, age, how often and intense your exercise is.
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#1274 » by PANDEMONEUM » Tue Mar 5, 2013 10:49 pm

im trying to get ready to re-start P90X (have never made it through 90 days)
havent worked out the last 6 months
even though i play soccer 2x a week
im at the most weight ive ever been, and its hard to lose anything
i eat normal, which compared to the P90X suggested diet, is Horrible

ive stopped drinking soda
ive improved my sleeping hours
trying to fix my portions

should i just start doing P90X, or get into better shape first then do it ?
this thread, and hearing u guys work out and eating healthy is a good motivator
superelkman
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#1275 » by superelkman » Tue Mar 5, 2013 10:49 pm

As far as gaining weight is concerned it really doesn't matter what you eat as long as you are getting enough calories and protein to your body through out the day. As far as general health and adding less fat while gaining muscle is concerned you will want these calories to be clean calories however. Weight gainer is relatively cheap(12 lbs for $45 on amazon) and if you want to just get the extra calories without a fuss and be done with it, using that is a good option. As always know your daily caloric needs for a day and strive for 300-500 more than that of mostly natural, healthy foods.

If you don't want to go the weight gainer route just eat what you do now but just a little more at each meal. It does become work at a certain point, atleast for me, because my body doesn't want to eat the amount necessary to add lean mass especially if you are interested in doing that in a lean and clean way.

Some calorie dense things that are also healthy are: Nuts, Dried Fruit, Avocado, Plant Oils, Nut Butters, Whole Wheat Pasta, Brown Rice, Quinoa

Things like trail mix are fairly cheap and calorie dense so that is an option for cheaply getting some of those items.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#1276 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Mar 5, 2013 10:55 pm

Yeah....I got a trip planned to head to Vegas in about 10 weeks. I'm going to go pretty hard to try and drop 15....maybe 20lbs if I can do it. I'm not going to do any crazy diet or workout program because I'll just end up quitting. Basically if I can just stop eating crap like pizza and fast food and replace that with healthy salads, fish, chicken and veggies I'll be ok. I play basketball once or twice a week 5 on 5 for a couple hours so that's a good workout. Otherwise I will just hit the gym and rotate with strength training for upper body, lower body and cardio.

Breakfasts are basically a combination of: bananas, oranges, strawberries, oatmeal, raisin bran, eggs

Lunchs are either salads or leftovers of chicken veggies or a lean cuisine

Dinners are mostly Fish or chicken. Rice & potatoes or Veggies.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#1277 » by Wilford Brimley » Tue Mar 5, 2013 11:19 pm

PANDEMONEUM wrote:im trying to get ready to re-start P90X (have never made it through 90 days)
havent worked out the last 6 months
even though i play soccer 2x a week
im at the most weight ive ever been, and its hard to lose anything
i eat normal, which compared to the P90X suggested diet, is Horrible

ive stopped drinking soda
ive improved my sleeping hours
trying to fix my portions

should i just start doing P90X, or get into better shape first then do it ?
this thread, and hearing u guys work out and eating healthy is a good motivator

was it just too hard to do 90 straight days? (i ask cause i started it yesterday)

what does their diet plan suggest vs what you eat?

thanks.
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#1278 » by PANDEMONEUM » Tue Mar 5, 2013 11:33 pm

yea. ive done (tried) it 3 times

23 days, 43 days, 33 days
but, felt great after each attempt
enough so, id rather do it for 23 days, if thats all i can do, cause i saw the benefits

i just didnt have time (or didnt devote enough time) to continue it
u need 75 minutes just to do the workouts
and in the beginning, dont plan on doing much else, cause ull b spent

...but, this could also b because,
im going from being a NONworkout person to doing a high level high effort program
i also dont cook and eat carbs and chocolate and not a fan of seafood and most vegetables
bread and pastas taste good

if u workout regularly or if ur athletic, ull b able to do the moves and it wont drain u as it did me

i was planning to start this month, after a few adjustments to my eating and sleep habits and trying to do some mini workouts here and there
i play soccer and the outdoor season starts in june, so gotta b able to run around for more than 10 minutes
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#1279 » by jerrod » Wed Mar 6, 2013 12:00 am

PANDEMONEUM wrote:i play soccer and the outdoor season starts in june, so gotta b able to run around for more than 10 minutes

June? weak :D
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#1280 » by Wilford Brimley » Wed Mar 6, 2013 1:31 am

Just did Day 2 of P90X. Video is like 1 hour, but it took me like 1.25 hours, cause i took lots of rest breaks. Feels okay, reminds me of basketball practice in middle school, but not embarrassing, lol.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks