ImageImage

OT: P90X/Health and Fitness Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Re: OT: P90X/Health and Fitness Thread 

Post#41 » by Captain Erv » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:30 pm

This is a great idea for a thread. I've been trying to get back into a healthier lifestyle. Two summers ago I lost about 45 pounds just eating healthy and doing cardio for an hour a day about 4-5 days a week. Unfortunately I got lazy and gained it all back and then some. My biggest problem is that I work a full-time job and go to school full-time as well. I'm not much of a cook and often have to resort to eating on the go, which is how I have lived most of my life.

The eating healthier part is always the hardest part for me. As I mentioned, having to eat Subway twice a day five times a week just wasn't good and a big part of why I gained weight back. I simply had no healthy alternative to Subway or just making cold deli sandwiches at home.

This summer I tried dieting and working out for a couple weeks and didn't see much of a result. I just got too damn hungry between meals even if I ate an apple or a small snack or drank a bunch of water, it still didn't work.

Maybe I'll be able to pick up some pointers from you guys and get my lazy ass going again.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#42 » by Sauce Boss » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:45 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Plyo was definitely tough for me at first. Still is because now I try to do it like that guy in the back, I can't remember his name.

It's Dom, today was my plyo day so I remember it.

I started doing it like late May, early June so that I'd have my full summer off to do the 90 days. I really was in terrible shape before, nothing physical but I kept a decent diet to keep my weight at a decent amount (I even did a vegetarian diet last year to avoid a lot of the deep fried foods that my campus serves). I really haven't lost a lot of weight on the program, I am only 5'11 and was 190 before starting (I was 230-240 about two years prior and had dieted and walked down to 190 by cutting soda completely out and most fast food like many others have said) and I am only like 182-185 range right now, but there is a big difference and I know I am in the best shape I have ever been in. My shoulders are cut, I developed biceps (not like crazy Arnold biceps but I mean a lot better than before) and I'm getting some tricep development that I can see now, I cut my sides down a lot even though I still have some love handle action going on because I haven't been very consistent on the ab portion of the workout. I used one resistance band that came with my program and I just bought a pull up bar and did some modifications to emulate the pull up portion before hand. It does take some time to commit to the program and I struggle through yoga sometimes because its a hour and a half tape and the time gets into my head a little bit when I know I have things to do. All in all I am happy, but I guess the one thing I keep telling myself is that you aren't going to be like a pro athlete in one time through the program. One of the guys in the commercial had to do like 7 rounds of it to get into phenomenal shape from being overweight and out of shape. So after next week when my 90 days are up I'll start a second round and get some of the guys in my dorm to join me and keep working on it, eventually I'll get to where I want to be if I keep focused. I think you'll like it if you can muster the hour or so you need everyday.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#43 » by Sauce Boss » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:49 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I have done 2 rounds of P90X and it works great. Lost some weight and am in the best shape of my life. Now I have some of Tony's 1 on 1 workouts that I rotate in to keep things fresh. I Have his "Just Arms", "Diamond Delts", "Medicine Ball Core Cardio", "30-15 (30 various types of pushups, followed by 15 various types of pullups X12. Killer).

The bottom line with workout programs is whatever gets you motivated is the right program. For some it's joining a gym, for some it's a home program like this. What works for one doesn't work for someone else.

How much did those tapes put you back? I think I'll need something new by the time I start round three or at some point in round two or I'll need to figure out a way to do doubles. Also you said something about weighted gloves for kenpo, where did you pick those up since that sounds like a great idea. Simple things I can keep in my dorm are nice (can't keep dumbbells in there lol)
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,018

Post#44 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:00 am

Captain Erv wrote:The eating healthier part is always the hardest part for me. As I mentioned, having to eat Subway twice a day five times a week just wasn't good and a big part of why I gained weight back. I simply had no healthy alternative to Subway or just making cold deli sandwiches at home.

You gained weight eating subway? Am I reading that wrong? Was it the type of sandwich or soda? Or am I just reading it backwards?
PedroGrande
Analyst
And1: 731

Post#45 » by PedroGrande » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:05 am

MickeyDavis wrote:resistance bands are fine if you are totally out of shape. they're a good way to get your muscles working again. And a decent option for pull up bar substitute. But to get the full benefits of X you need dumbbells for strength and a pull up bar.

Maybe i should be ashamed to say this, but i always practiced a lot of sports but i never had enough arm strength to pull my weight up from a completely stretched position in pull ups. (not very powerfull arms from someone who is 6'4 and 203lbs) Does the program assume that i can already do it?
"Hope isn't a plan"
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#46 » by jerrod » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:07 am

at my ultimate fattest (probably 280 or 90), i could always do 1 pullup. i was ok with that
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,018

Post#47 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:13 am

PedroGrande wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:resistance bands are fine if you are totally out of shape. they're a good way to get your muscles working again. And a decent option for pull up bar substitute. But to get the full benefits of X you need dumbbells for strength and a pull up bar.

Maybe i should be ashamed to say this, but i always practiced a lot of sports but i never had enough arm strength to pull my weight up from a completely stretched position in pull ups. (not very powerfull arms from someone who is 6'4 and 203lbs) Does the program assume that i can already do it?

You use a chair to help. So even if you can only do 5, once you cant use anymore you get help by pushing the chair until they do the next exercise.

It's really up to you on how much you push yourself and not cheating through the workout.
PedroGrande
Analyst
And1: 731

Post#48 » by PedroGrande » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:16 am

jerrod wrote:at my ultimate fattest (probably 280 or 90), i could always do 1 pullup. i was ok with that

I can do some if i did it like i see a lot of people doing it. Most of the people don't go all the way down, with the arms and body fully stretched. Well, i'm not proud of that either.

My forte always were push ups anyway lol
"Hope isn't a plan"
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#49 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:21 am

Pullups are tough. Very tough. Corn Cobs I really struggle with.

The one on one DVD's are $20 each. You can subscribe and get the new one each month but you don't get a discount. So I just pick and choose and read reviews of them on the beachbody forums. Not all of them are great. For instance the very first one was plyo and I got it because I wanted a different plyo routine to have something different. It's long and consists of 20 routines but Tony talks too much between each one, I don't feel you get as good of a workout because there is a break between every one.

Medicine Ball cardio is good but too short IMO. So I either do it twice or combine it with another one.

And don't worry if you aren't losing weight. Remember muscle weighs more than fat. It's body fat% that is the best measurement.

By the way, coming in fall 2011 is P90X MC2 (Muscle Confusion 2).
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
JoeyMorgan619
Rookie
And1: 1,767

Post#50 » by JoeyMorgan619 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:22 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Yeah, MD hit it on the head. I just downloaded p90x but waiting for a pull up bar I ordered to come in hopefully tomorrow. It seems impossible to follow the videos the first time around but I've only been doing it a few days and can tell I'm getting better and stronger. They do a good job of saying do what you can and keeping your confidence up. Though by the 5th time you watch any of the video you are probaly going to want to kill him.

Funny this thread popped up cause I really am just starting to focus on getting in shape. Training for my second marathon, but I am 25 heavier last October so I definitely need to get more toned. Anyone else a runner here?

I am a bit of a runner, but nothing compared to some people. I am 18 years old and I have always been really skinny. I just started running about a year ago, and I have only ran two 5K races and a marathon relay in which I ran about 8 miles. My fastest timed 5k is a 21:44, but I think I may be able to do it a little bit faster now. I actually have been straying away from running and focusing more on lifting and nutrition. I have always wanted to get in really good shape, and recently I have been doing something about it. I used to hate lifting, but recently I have grown to like it a lot. I work out 5 days a week, but nutrition is the most important thing by far. My daily meal plan usually looks something like this:

Meal 1: Egg white omelette (usually about 6 eggs), 1/2 cup of 100% natural oatmeal w/ raisins
Meal 2 (pre-workout): Whey Protein shake (1 scoop)
Meal 3: (after workout): Whey Protein shake (1 scoop)
Meal 4: Something like wild salmon/tuna/grilled chicken, mixed vegetables, and brown rice/whole wheat toast
Meal 5: usually similar to meal 4
Meal 6: Casein protein (which is a slow release protein I take right before bed so that my body doesn't get hungry by not eating for however many hours before I wake up)

Nutrition has always been my weak point, but as of late it is becoming easier and more of a routine. It was always really hard for me because I LOVE candy and ice cream, but lately I realized I can definitely do without them. When I do have to snack though, I usually eat a bowl of Kashi cereal.

http://alturl.com/a2o6v

This is one of the cereals that is somewhat healthy but still has taste. You can get it at Wal Mart.

Basically I do a high protein diet, but I also have a lot of complex carbs in there coming from whole wheat bread, vegetables, brown rice, etc. A lot of people say a defined stomach is about 80% nutrition, and I believe it.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#51 » by jerrod » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:28 am

PedroGrande wrote:
jerrod wrote:at my ultimate fattest (probably 280 or 90), i could always do 1 pullup. i was ok with that

I can do some if i did it like i see a lot of people doing it. Most of the people don't go all the way down, with the arms and body fully stretched. Well, i'm not proud of that either.

My forte always were push ups anyway lol

yeah, if i was even going to attempt a 2nd one, all my form would go out the window
Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Post#52 » by Captain Erv » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:35 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Captain Erv wrote:The eating healthier part is always the hardest part for me. As I mentioned, having to eat Subway twice a day five times a week just wasn't good and a big part of why I gained weight back. I simply had no healthy alternative to Subway or just making cold deli sandwiches at home.

You gained weight eating subway? Am I reading that wrong? Was it the type of sandwich or soda? Or am I just reading it backwards?

No I didn't gain weight eating Subway. Subway was pretty much all I ate when I was dieting and I just got sick of it.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#53 » by Sauce Boss » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:38 am

MickeyDavis wrote:And don't worry if you aren't losing weight. Remember muscle weighs more than fat. It's body fat% that is the best measurement.

Yeah, I always have to keep telling myself that. The worst is the love handle thing i still have going on. In my beginning pictures it was much higher up, around like 4-5 inches above my belly button that it started kind of blooming out, now its only like an inch or less above my belly button that it blooms a bit. I think if I revise my diet a little bit, maybe do some extra cardio and focus on doing the ab ribber extremely well I can get to flat sides for the first time ever by December (it was my main goal to flatten my sides).
MickeyDavis wrote:By the way, coming in fall 2011 is P90X MC2 (Muscle Confusion 2).

:droop: Did not know, I want! Is it like an add on or a new set of 90 days?
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by Sauce Boss » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:40 am

JoeyMorgan619 wrote:Basically I do a high protein diet, but I also have a lot of complex carbs in there coming from whole wheat bread, vegetables, brown rice, etc. A lot of people say a defined stomach is about 80% nutrition, and I believe it.

Want to recommend what I should eat with a college meal plan?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#55 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:40 am

It's a new set of workouts although I'm sure some of the routines will be repeated. There are only so many ways to do pushups and pullups for instance.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#56 » by Sauce Boss » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:48 am

MickeyDavis wrote:It's a new set of workouts although I'm sure some of the routines will be repeated. There are only so many ways to do pushups and pullups for instance.

Well yeah, but by that time I hopefully will be on like round 5 and alternating a new set of 90 days will be quite refreshing, especially because I will probably have Tony's lines memorized by said time.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#57 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:01 am

Yeah that's why it's fun to rotate in some of the one on ones. I love just arms, it's bicep, tricep, forearms and that's it. Good burn when you're done.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#58 » by LUKE23 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:10 am

You used to be 290 jerrod? Holy ****.
KeyRabbit
Rookie
And1: 38

Post#59 » by KeyRabbit » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:16 am

Would this system be workable in a relatively low-ceilinged room? Are there a lot of jumping/arms-over-head type movements?
RealGM
And1: 9,328

Post#60 » by crkone » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:18 am

KeyRabbit wrote:Would this system be workable in a relatively low-ceilinged room? Are there a lot of jumping/arms-over-head type movements?

You do a lot of jumping in pylo and a lot of stretching with your arms up, not to mention jumping jacks.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |

Return to Milwaukee Bucks