OT: P90X/Health and Fitness Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Re: OT: P90X/Health and Fitness Thread 

Post#1221 » by blkout » Fri Oct 5, 2012 11:53 pm

Six months ago I would've thought that was some weirdo conspiracy nutjob thinking, but after watching a few documentaries it really is **** up how much garbage they're putting in the food over there. Made me sick to even think about it, so many unnecessary chemicals and additives purely designed to make things bigger than they actually are. I'm sure it happens here too but definitely not to the same degree.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,659

Post#1222 » by AussieBuck » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:55 am

paul wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
emunney wrote:Is it 210k all at once? If so, try not to kill your balls.

It's half then a ferry ride across the bay then the other half.

The full Around the Bay in a Day?

What sort of bike did you get?

I'm doing the 100km from Sorrento but I do one or two 40-50km rides most weeks. For a multitude of reasons, glad I'm not your ass :D

Yeah doing the full 210km. Only decided for sure I was going to go through with it today. I've been on a 25k and a 45k ride this week and cramped up massively in my legs both times. But I've been given some salt tablets that will supposedly fix that. I got this bike: http://www.reidcycles.com.au/bicycles/road-bikes/2012-reid-condor-road-bike.html#.UIJ0v8WSpCM if you don't hear from me I've died on the attempt. :D
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#1223 » by paul » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Good luck brother - sadly I think you're in for some pain :(

I had to pull out as I'm heading up to Qld for a week, snuck out for a quick 50 today and that hurt enough!
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#1224 » by AussieBuck » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:32 am

Easier than I thought, tomorrow might be bad though. :D
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#1225 » by Jez2983 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:30 am

AussieBuck wrote:Easier than I thought, tomorrow might be bad though. :D

A 210km ride with 3 weeks prep?

Should be right for Tour de France next year. Maybe something better than salt tablets though...
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#1226 » by AussieBuck » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:38 am

I got the bike 3 weeks ago but only rode twice both times in the last week. Maybe I missed my calling.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1227 » by Nebula1 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:37 pm

Holidays are upon us so I thought this an appropriate bump..

Personal update: I tore ligaments in my should 8 weeks ago and I'm back on the court 5 days a week, starting to lift again and have added a regular run into my fitness routine. My runs have consisted of 3 miles sets and I usually do 1-3 sets depending on day, etc.

Needless to say, taking on the worst injury of my career has me refocused on committing to getting even stronger and in even better shape. This is the best part of a rehab program and it's working.

Now with the holidays and all the eating, it's been my focus to come out on the other side of New Years in great shape and well ahead of all those who fell off during the holidays.

I've also started using a free app that I think works great as an easy data tracker:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Check out the free phone app as well. It's a really easy way to keep your expectations in line, has tons of foods and exercises and is very easy to use. You can also enter in your own foods.

Good luck all
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#1228 » by Wilford Brimley » Tue Mar 5, 2013 7:23 pm

Just started p90x last night, and it felt good. My muscles feel sore today, but not terrible.

Excited to continue it tonight.

Im skinny, with a bit of a stomach (brb worst phsyique you can even have lol) so Im hoping it makes me more proportional. I have mild heart/back problems that prohibit me from heavy lifting, so I figured Id go this route instead.
jtrinaldi
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#1229 » by jtrinaldi » Tue Mar 5, 2013 7:25 pm

I have been on the south beach diet for 2 weeks now, and have lost 20 pounds. I only eat 1 meal a day, and I don't drink anything during the day. I squeeze up lemons/limes/grapefruit for a healthy juice.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,313

Post#1230 » by crkone » Tue Mar 5, 2013 7:26 pm

Anyone want to do a tough mudder with me this September? :D

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#1231 » by Newz » Tue Mar 5, 2013 7:27 pm

crkone wrote:Anyone want to do a tough mudder with me this September? :D

I was thinking about training for and attempting to do Tough Mudder until I heard about the part where you can get electrocuted. That freaks me out, so I don't really want to do it. :(
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#1232 » by emunney » Tue Mar 5, 2013 7:27 pm

After a long layoff, I did some supersets of pullups and military presses two days ago, and today I feel like I got hit by a car. I always break in too fast. Never learn my lesson. I seriously feel miserable.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,781

Post#1233 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Mar 5, 2013 7:30 pm

Newz wrote:

I was thinking about training for and attempting to do Tough Mudder until I heard about the part where you can get electrocuted. That freaks me out, so I don't really want to do it. :(

I did the tough mudder two years ago. I wanted to be tough going through the shock part since that is where all the people are watching you. Ran full speed and braced for it. I tripped on some hay and face planted it. People thought I had the biggest shock ever when I didn't even touch it. Most people don't get shocked.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User

Post#1234 » by Wilford Brimley » Tue Mar 5, 2013 7:31 pm

jtrinaldi wrote:I have been on the south beach diet for 2 weeks now, and have lost 20 pounds. I only eat 1 meal a day, and I don't drink anything during the day. I squeeze up lemons/limes/grapefruit for a healthy juice.

Interesting.

I don't drink alcohol (never have), and hate soda, but I love milk. I used to drink about a gallon of 2% every 2 days (seriously), but since the new year Im down to 2 glasses of skim milk a day. Water for everything else, sometimes juice. Feels good, not so bloated with all the milk.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#1235 » by Newz » Tue Mar 5, 2013 7:31 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Newz wrote:

I did the tough mudder two years ago. I wanted to be tough going through the shock part since that is where all the people are watching you. Ran full speed and braced for it. I tripped on some hay and face planted it. People thought I had the biggest shock ever when I didn't even touch it. Most people don't get shocked.

Yeah, I just don't want to be one of the people who randomly gets shocked though. It's not that I'm afraid of the pain so much as that type of thing can kill you. I'd rather just do some sort of obstacle course/challenge where I don't have to get shocked. ;)
Wilford Brimley
Banned User

Post#1236 » by Wilford Brimley » Tue Mar 5, 2013 7:32 pm

^not to discourage you from doing tough mudder, but I always wonder why I see heavier women doing it on Facebook.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#1237 » by emunney » Tue Mar 5, 2013 7:35 pm

Is that what the South Beach Diet is? Eating once a day and not drinking? I'm pretty sure that's not what it is.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#1238 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Mar 5, 2013 7:40 pm

Wilford Brimley wrote:^not to discourage you from doing tough mudder, but I always wonder why I see heavier women doing it on Facebook.

Out of all the stupid obstacle courses, the tough mudder is probably one of the harder ones due to the long distance. The one I did was 10 miles of hills.

That said, you really can't compare 2 people who "did" the tough mudder. Its all on the honor system and personal pride. There are so many obstacles it is impossible to tell how much effort and skill someone put into it. IE, on the monkey bars the person in shape goes all the way across the river. The fatty takes two bars, falls in and walks to the other side. It is also in waves so you don't know how fast you are going comparatively. A fatty could've started 2 hours earlier and still beat you with 12 minute miles compared to you who busted out 8 minute miles.

I can see why it is appealing to all people since it's more personal and its just being active, but I am kind of competitive (not obsessive where I need to win, but rather I really like to compete and think I perform better that way) so I don't like disparity on what it means to complete one.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#1239 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Mar 5, 2013 7:41 pm

Any other long distance runners in here? I am planning on doing a 1/2 marathon in Cottage Grove April 20, the Lake Monona 20K May 4, the Syttende Mai 20 Miler May 18, and then the Madison 1/2 Marathon May 26. Then hopefully do my first full marathon this fall.

I've done about 5 or 6 1/2 marathons, a couple before I tore my ACL and a few after. It's getting to the point where I've gotta do a full marathon just to challenge myself. Assuming I'm successful this fall, I'll probably also do the full Madison Marathon in November.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#1240 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Mar 5, 2013 7:49 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Any other long distance runners in here? I am planning on doing a 1/2 marathon in Cottage Grove April 20, the Lake Monona 20K May 4, the Syttende Mai 20 Miler May 18, and then the Madison 1/2 Marathon May 26. Then hopefully do my first full marathon this fall.

If you want one sooner, the Trailbreaker half April 6 is pretty cool. Goes through Lapham Peak and lots of hills and woods. Pretty cheap too.

My Races:
April 6- Lapham Peak Trailbreaker
April 28- BearTrax Lapham Peak 20k
May 4- Indy Half (Biggest in the United States and you do a lap at Speedway)
Mid-June- RiverWest Beer Run (Ok not a run but an amazing drunken time. Bring large cups to have them fill up for you)
Mid-June- Lighthouse Run in Racine 10-Miler

I'm probably done with marathon running since it takes so long and pretty bad on your body to run that much. I heard anything more than 20 miles a week at sub 8 min pace starts to have adverse effects on the heart. Plus I'm trying to get a little more tone so I don't want to burn off all the muscle.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks