ImageImage

OT: P90X/Health and Fitness Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Re: OT: P90X/Health and Fitness Thread 

Post#1401 » by emunney » Fri Mar 8, 2013 9:44 pm

FWIW alcohol is much worse for you than soda of any type.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#1402 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Mar 8, 2013 9:44 pm

averageposter wrote:I don't have a dog in this fight water is the way to go, if I need caffeine then its coffee. For $1000 you can buy a super automatic espresso machine that makes Starbucks, or Alterra quality coffee in you own home relatively easily.

This is the coffee machine that I have and I frequently make better coffee/lattes than Starbucks etc. Seriously a great value.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-BVMC-EL ... B005BG7MK4
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#1403 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Mar 8, 2013 9:46 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
averageposter wrote:I don't have a dog in this fight water is the way to go, if I need caffeine then its coffee. For $1000 you can buy a super automatic espresso machine that makes Starbucks, or Alterra quality coffee in you own home relatively easily.

This is the coffee machine that I have and I frequently make better coffee/lattes than Starbucks etc. Seriously a great value.

That looks awesome.

I might need to invest in one.

I go to Alterra every Sunday for a $4 latte, otherwise I drink reg coffee during the week.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#1404 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Mar 8, 2013 9:51 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:

That looks awesome.

I might need to invest in one.

I go to Alterra every Sunday for a $4 latte, otherwise I drink reg coffee during the week.

It really is great, everyone I've ever made a latte for has been thoroughly impressed. I convinced one of my sister's to get it and she loves it. I think my other sister is also going to get one. It's one of the best appliances I've ever owned. Literally only takes 2-3 minutes for a pretty solid latte. It is also just a standard coffee maker too if you aren't in the mood for a latte.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#1405 » by averageposter » Fri Mar 8, 2013 9:55 pm

Never tried one like that, I have a Jura Impessa C9, but that's more for the Full Menu at a Starbucks or an Alterra. Brewing under that constantly maintained 15 bars of pressure. Had a C3000 before that. You have to really be committed to your coffee for that kind of investment but worth every penny.

http://www.capresso.com/automatic-coffe ... c9ot.shtml
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,671

Post#1406 » by jimmybones » Fri Mar 8, 2013 10:02 pm

emunney wrote:
jimmybones wrote:There's an lol worthy paragraph from your study that perfectly sums up the last few sentences of my last post. I'll let you find it. There's actually a couple, let's see which ones you find.

I didn't find any. I guess my sense of humor is different from yours.

The participants recorded their intake. That's your idea of a controlled experiment?
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#1407 » by emunney » Fri Mar 8, 2013 10:04 pm

It's a study, not an experiment. And no, I don't have a problem with surveys as a method.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,968

Post#1408 » by Badgerlander » Fri Mar 8, 2013 10:16 pm

emunney wrote:FWIW alcohol is much worse for you than soda of any type.

Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1409 » by Nebula1 » Fri Mar 8, 2013 11:37 pm

DrugBust wrote:This just hit my twitter feed.

The study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, discovered some frightening facts that should make us all swear off diet drinks and products.

Diet sodas raised the risk of diabetes more than sugar-sweetened sodas!

Women who drank one 12-ounce diet soda had a 33 percent increased risk of Type 2 diabetes, and women who drank one 20-ounce soda had a 66 percent increased risk.

Women who drank diet sodas drank twice as much as those who drank sugar-sweetened sodas because artificial sweeteners are more addictive and are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar.

The average diet soda drinker consumes three diet drinks a day.

You might say that people who are overweight and just about to get diabetes drink more diet soda, but they scientifically controlled for body weight. And they found the artificial sweeteners increased diabetes independent of body weight!

This and other research shows how diet sodas make people fat and sick.

And that diet drinks may be even worse than regular sugar-sweetened sodas! How does that happen?

Artificial sweeteners are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar, activating our genetically-programmed preference for sweet taste more than any other substance.

They trick your metabolism into thinking sugar is on its way. This causes your body to pump out insulin, the fat storage hormone, which lays down more belly fat.

It also confuses and slows your metabolism down, so you burn fewer calories every day.

It makes you hungrier and crave even more sugar and starchy carbs like bread and pasta.

In animal studies, the rats that consumed artificial sweeteners ate more, their metabolism slowed, and they put on 14 percent more body fat in just two weeks -- even eating fewer calories.
In population studies, there was a 200 percent increased risk of obesity in diet soda drinkers.

Great article. Thanks DB.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,671

Post#1410 » by jimmybones » Sat Mar 9, 2013 2:01 am

EastSideBucksFan wrote:I can't believe there are people that think drinking a few sodas a day "isn't that bad" for you.....diet or not....you are basically pouring poison into your system.....at least that's my point of view. You can live and believe whatever you want.

Edit: Yes I can believe.....because this is 'Merica!

The funny thing is I don't drink any kind of soda. But to put some context on my comment. I work every day with people who are trying to lose weight(quite successfully I'll humbly add) and my comment of diet soda not being that bad comes from that perspective. If someone is trying to lose weight, water would be the best choice. But from a practical standpoint, if they are going to choose a soda here and there, I'd prefer it to be diet. And the artificial sweetener from a few sodas here and there is not going to do anything.

Even when I made the comment, I was exaggerating a bit and I'll admit that if you take it in a literal sense, if by a few you mean 2-3 EVERYDAY, then over a long period of time then that's probably not smart. It's still a huge leap when people act like a few diet sodas are bad for you. Unless you're consistently drinking them every day over a long period of time, the negativity towards it is overblown.

emunney wrote:It's a study, not an experiment. And no, I don't have a problem with surveys as a method.

I've been taught and have seen first hand that most people over or underestimate their daily calorie and nutrient consumption. It's no different with something like diet soda, or any kind of drink. Then there's the likelihood that there are other variables in play, other than weight and diet soda consumption(if we assume their recordings of consumption are spot on). Both of those things make the study far from conclusive from my standpoint.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1411 » by Nebula1 » Sat Mar 9, 2013 12:44 pm

Deron Williams' juice detox

http://www.netsdaily.com/2013/3/6/40704 ... juvenation

Since the All-Star Break, Deron Williams says he is feeling a lot better. He's undergone plasma replacement procedure that helped Kobe Bryant's knees. He's taken cortisone shots and, he told beat writers Tuesday, he went on a three day, juice detoxification diet over the All-Star break.

What's that? Over three days, you drink six 100 percent organic fresh fruit and vegetable juices in place of meals. Williams used the BlueprintCleanse, writes Brian Lewis of the Post. It's recommended for those who want to lose a few pounds quickly, like brides and apparently point guards.

"He’s really made a strong move addressing diet," interim coach P.J. Carlesimo told the writers. "I remember we were at a dinner the other night and he was drinking that cleanse stuff. He’s lost some weight in the week off, close to a week off. I think it helped him. He looks good. He looks very good."

Williams said it was something you can do only when you have extended time off, not when you're playing two or three games a week.

"It was a three-day cleanse. It was when I got hurt and was sitting out. You can’t really do it in play. It’d be tough to do a cleanse in play. I knew I was taking a break, so I did a three-day cleanse,’’ Williams said. "It definitely helps your energy. It gets a lot of the bad toxins out of your system. That’s the main thing.’

The combination of the PRP, cortisone shots and detox diet have made him feel a lot better and of course, his individual numbers, if not team record, have shown a big improvement. Team insiders say Nets trainer Tim Walsh gets credit for the therapy but that Williams is responsible for the change in diet.

http://blueprintcleanse.com/

Return to Milwaukee Bucks