Re: JS: Bucks sign 2nd rounder Hobson 

Post#16 » by Ayt » Sat Sep 4, 2010 1:25 am

Let him tear up the NBDL for a year.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#17 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Sat Sep 4, 2010 1:39 am

upnorthfan wrote:If Tiny goes overseas we at least retain his rights.

I'll have to double check this before I'd say I'm 100% certain of it, but I am not sure we will be able to retain Tiny's draft rights now.

In order to retain a draft pick's draft rights, you must submit a required tender to them, which just needs to be a one year contract (it can be for minimum salary and completely NG'd, or it can have terms more favorable than that bare minimum required). The draft pick can accept the required tender or he can choose not to. If he chooses not to, but continues to play professional basketball, the team that drafted him will retain his rights.

But the issue here is that after signing Boykins, we were at 14 players, so if we did submit a required tender to Tiny, I would think we would have had to rescind it prior to signing a 15th player, Hobson. Otherwise, if Tiny accepted the required tender now, we would have a roster that illegally exceeds the maximum roster size. Unless you aren't forced to make a roster decision until that drafted player accepts the required tender. But then I guess you would either be forced to waive another player on your roster pretty much immediately OR at that point rescind the required tender (although I'd be surprised if you could do that after it is accepted). I'll have to refresh my memory on some of the more obscure portions of the CBA...

BTW, wouldn't it be ironic if we had to give up the draft rights on a huge dude nicknamed "Tiny" because we had signed the diminutive Earl Boykins? :)
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#18 » by bigkurty » Sat Sep 4, 2010 1:45 am

Doesn't Miami have 18 players signed right now though?
BDUB_30
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#19 » by BDUB_30 » Sat Sep 4, 2010 1:47 am

I like his potential. Tough situation for him here though, our depth is gonna bury him ..The real question is, do you learn more by being on an NBA roster and practicing with the players and watching games from the bench, learning NBA nuances, or by being in the D-league ?

I think its a tough call, i personally feel the D-leauge is for guys that cant even make the 14 man roster. If a guy is good enough to be on the team, theirs a chance he just learns more by being on the team and practicing with them...sitting the bench !

I know id rather be around NBA pros, then NBA wannabes.
Dick Tate
Starter
And1: 1,867

Post#20 » by Dick Tate » Sat Sep 4, 2010 2:12 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:But the issue here is that after signing Boykins, we were at 14 players, so if we did submit a required tender to Tiny, I would think we would have had to rescind it prior to signing a 15th player, Hobson. Otherwise, if Tiny accepted the required tender now, we would have a roster that illegally exceeds the maximum roster size. Unless you aren't forced to make a roster decision until that drafted player accepts the required tender. But then I guess you would either be forced to waive another player on your roster pretty much immediately OR at that point rescind the required tender (although I'd be surprised if you could do that after it is accepted). I'll have to refresh my memory on some of the more obscure portions of the CBA...

Rosters aren't required to be cut down to 15 until right before the season starts.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Post#21 » by JayMKE » Sat Sep 4, 2010 3:02 am

Hope Hobson does well but I really don't know what to expect out of him as a player. It really really sucked he missed summer league.
FREE GIANNIS
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#22 » by Nebula1 » Sat Sep 4, 2010 5:15 am

Good news. I expect him to start by March.
Scoops
General Manager
And1: 267

Post#23 » by Scoops » Sat Sep 4, 2010 6:03 am

Nebula1 wrote:Good news. I expect him to start by March.

In the NBDL?
Go Bucks!
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#24 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Sat Sep 4, 2010 7:16 am

Stopshere2 wrote:Good for Hobson but I'm gonna miss Tiny who I'm sure would have bought the funnies, intentional and unintentional.

Just an aside, I'm damned annoyed that the "Is Brandon Jennings Gay?" thread got closed. I really wanted to have a crack at that.

WTF are you talking about.

It is a travesty that the thread was up as long as it was and they did not lock it sooner. It wasn't locked until :crazy: it got to 27 replies.

Now that in itself and of itself was too long if not inexcusable IMO seeing what the title thread was for anyone to come to this board and see. I was wondering how long it would take for some fool to type it in here.

We had a thread like that a week ago that was locked, why did someone make another OT thread like that and then have it last that long? I don't ever like trashing our players for things like that which is not basketball related.

If I was Jennings in the midst of promoting a new shoe and all and read that thread title, I think I would be pissed. In fact, that thread title itself was in violation of the terms of usage of this very board, and you had wanted it to remain open!?

Shows where your head is...I think less of every person who responded to that thread in the fashion they did.

FOCUS ON HOOPS! That fan could have been troll and you got suckered right into it. To be thread or player specific on a topic like that is not what this board should be about. I excpect this stuff from a troll not a Bucks fan.

Oh, by the way...I got a bit :offtopic:

I am happy :clap: Darrington Hobson is signed. :D Congratulations DHop on your new deal.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#25 » by PerkinsFor3 » Sat Sep 4, 2010 8:20 am

Hobson is a good player, you'll enjoy having him around. Doesnt make too many mistakes, can do it all. Like a Granger - lite. Same college and role there.
OBF-MKE
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#26 » by OBF-MKE » Sat Sep 4, 2010 6:39 pm

An emphatic yes.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#27 » by aboveAverage » Sat Sep 4, 2010 6:57 pm

Hell Yes! I think Hobson will surprise many people this year.
bogut6
Veteran
And1: 3
Location: Being either slightly below or slightly above average.

Post#28 » by bogut6 » Sun Sep 5, 2010 12:25 am

Makes me veryyyy happy
- This
- Getting CDR
- The Maggette trade
- Drafting Sanders
- Getting Dooling rather than Diener

Can't wait for the season to start.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#29 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Sun Sep 5, 2010 1:47 am

bogut6 wrote:Makes me veryyyy happy
- This
- Getting CDR
- The Maggette trade
- Drafting Sanders
- Getting Dooling rather than Diener

Can't wait for the season to start.

Well technically I thought we got Boykins instead of Diener. Either way I'm glad that douche isn't on the bucks.
bogut6
Veteran
And1: 3
Location: Being either slightly below or slightly above average.

Post#30 » by bogut6 » Sun Sep 5, 2010 4:46 am

Yeah you're right KIAM
The Wet Whistle
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,252

Post#31 » by The Wet Whistle » Sun Sep 5, 2010 1:38 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Good news. I expect him to start by March.

I don't know about that. I like him a lot and feel down the line he could be a major player for our team, but I don't see it happening by March. I'm thinking like a year or two from now he'll be an everyday starter.

Though I would not be surprised if he earned meaningful minutes off the bench by March
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#32 » by Nebula1 » Sun Sep 5, 2010 2:40 pm

It was a joke, but I do hope we get to see him and not just in the Ds.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf-YI06YX5k[/youtube]
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#33 » by emunney » Sun Sep 5, 2010 3:19 pm

I suspect that if he had been at UNM all three years he'd have either gone much higher this year or he'd have been able to go pro earlier. Hopefully he can get healthy and take advantage of his opportunities. Skiles gives everyone a chance.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#34 » by Sauce Boss » Sun Sep 5, 2010 7:28 pm

If we are doing a Delfino-Maggette SF rotation this year as I expect (and many others), I could see Hobson overtaking the Delfino role as soon as next year and getting bulk sf minutes once Maggette comes off the books.

Anyway, did anyone have the terms of the contract? I thought we could only offer like the minimum or did he get like a normal rookie deal with option years?
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,532

Post#35 » by raferfenix » Sun Sep 5, 2010 7:58 pm

Skiles is all about doling out playing time based on merit. Hobson will have plenty of opportunity if he can beat out those ahead of him.

That's not to say I'm necessarily predicting he does that this season, but he is in a great situation in terms of the fact that other coaches would be less likely to play Hobson at the expense of a more expensive player like Maggette.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks