OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discussion

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Re: OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discuss 

Post#1381 » by crkone » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:18 pm

stellation wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:This article is pretty awesome for anybody who is into beer, but has a wife who tends to be.......less enthusiastic.

http://firstwefeast.com/drink/dating-a-beer-nerd/

That hits soooooooooo close to home.

It's just hit spring in Sydney, on Monday the sun was shining and I'd had a frustrating morning of work. A buddy of mine and I skipped out of work early, walked in the sun for about 3/4 of an hour past any number of bars/opportunities to drink in the sun- to get to our beloved dodgy, dark little craft beer bar. We both were amazingly thirsty after walking the sun yet proceeded to spend about 5 minutes deciding on which beer to go with. No beer garden, so had to sit inside in a fairly dark place even though it was a beautiful afternoon outside.

Can't relate. :D My wife will Ray Rice me (too soon?) if I don't always have a nice rotation of quality craft beers. But it does suck that I have to take restaurants out of the rotation if I've had all their beers and they don't rotate bottle or taps.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#1382 » by Ill-yasova » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:38 pm

crkone wrote:
stellation wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:This article is pretty awesome for anybody who is into beer, but has a wife who tends to be.......less enthusiastic.

It's just hit spring in Sydney, on Monday the sun was shining and I'd had a frustrating morning of work. A buddy of mine and I skipped out of work early, walked in the sun for about 3/4 of an hour past any number of bars/opportunities to drink in the sun- to get to our beloved dodgy, dark little craft beer bar. We both were amazingly thirsty after walking the sun yet proceeded to spend about 5 minutes deciding on which beer to go with. No beer garden, so had to sit inside in a fairly dark place even though it was a beautiful afternoon outside.

Can't relate. :D My wife will Ray Rice me (too soon?) if I don't always have a nice rotation of quality craft beers. But it does suck that I have to take restaurants out of the rotation if I've had all their beers and they don't rotate bottle or taps.

Yep. My wife knows that if I pick a new place to go to for dinner it's usually because I read their beer list on line and it met my standards. Luckily for me, most places with great beer menus tend to have great food too.

Half hour trips to the Woodman's beer department are also a red button though too.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#1383 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:46 pm

I'm terrible for selecting beers. The choices are almost too overwhelming and I waste too much time trying to decide what I want, lol.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#1384 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:51 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Transferring to a grill can always be a challenge, but the key is to top the pizza after its on the grill. Oil the **** out of the dough (and oil the grates, too) , cook it on one side for a couple minutes, then flip it and top the pizza. That will help with transferring and sticking issue.

As for direct versus indirect, that's really more about how much coal you're using. I usually preheat my gas grill to 550 and then drop the heat down once I have the pizza on there.

I like the idea of getting it on the grill and flipping the crust after a few minutes. I've yet to find a happy medium with coals, I started adding too much and now I haven't been adding enough. Its a matter of getting that down.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#1385 » by crkone » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:35 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:I'm terrible for selecting beers. The choices are almost too overwhelming and I waste too much time trying to decide what I want, lol.

That's why I track my beers and get what I haven't had before. I can look what I've liked before if I need to repeat a beer.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#1386 » by Buck You » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:41 am

Ill-yasova wrote:
Buck You wrote:
stellation wrote:I just did a quick check, Little Sumpin Sumpin is rated on average as a smidge over 4 stars by realgm Bucks board untappd users. That beer has some love.
Its fantastic but it's no gumballhead.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Gumballhead is great but I would still go with Sumpin'. I would go with Lagunitas Sucks over both of them by a landslide. Not even freakin close.

I love all 3 but gumballhead is just a personal favorite.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#1387 » by Buck You » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:42 am

crkone wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:I'm terrible for selecting beers. The choices are almost too overwhelming and I waste too much time trying to decide what I want, lol.

That's why I track my beers and get what I haven't had before. I can look what I've liked before if I need to repeat a beer.

Yeah when I go to discount I take a little while searching untappd my phone, don't want to waste 10 bucks on something I may have had before. 8-) I probably look like a nut to the workers there though lol.
turbo2k
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#1388 » by turbo2k » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:06 pm

crkone wrote:
stellation wrote:

I think you get away with the joke because it's about her hitting you, but on the edge.

Drinking "Taiwan Gold Medal" beer right now, it's an american style lager that is far superior to alot of them in the US. So easy to drink. Gets pretty bad reviews online for some reason, but get some if you can and try for yourself. Everyone I know who has had some with me while we are in Taiwan loves it. Just don't expect some super complex beer, just drink and enjoy, and that's what it's all about :party:
Newz wrote:I would also like it to be known that David Lee has not won an ESPY yet. This is **** ridiculous and it is obvious that they are doing it just to put him down. He should win all awards.
David Lee = Robbed again.

http://www.saveourbucks.com
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#1389 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:23 am

I know these beers are hated by most craft beer lovers and that the parents companies are foreign, but it still would be pretty depressing (to me) to see Miller Brewing leave Milwaukee. It sounds like it is far from a given, but a realistic scenario if InBev buys SABMiller. If that occurs apparently InBev would sell off MillerCoors to MolsonCoors - its all kinda confusing b/c in the end I feel its under the same umbrella. Regardless would hate to see a Milwaukee landmark and all of those jobs gone. We'll see what happens.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/purcha ... 11011.html
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#1390 » by Ill-yasova » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:49 am

Thunder Muscle wrote:I know these beers are hated by most craft beer lovers and that the parents companies are foreign, but it still would be pretty depressing (to me) to see Miller Brewing leave Milwaukee. It sounds like it is far from a given, but a realistic scenario if InBev buys SABMiller. If that occurs apparently InBev would sell off MillerCoors to MolsonCoors - its all kinda confusing b/c in the end I feel its under the same umbrella. Regardless would hate to see a Milwaukee landmark and all of those jobs gone. We'll see what happens.

I think it's crazy that Sam Adams is the largest American owned brewery and they only account for 1% of all the beer sold in the US.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#1391 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:25 am

That is pretty crazy when you think of it. Random but was reading some things about these companies and stumbled on August Busch IV's bio on wikipedia...that guy seemed like a very unlikable and shady character. That story with essentially getting away with the drunk driving death was very strange.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#1392 » by stellation » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:47 am

Ill-yasova wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:I know these beers are hated by most craft beer lovers and that the parents companies are foreign, but it still would be pretty depressing (to me) to see Miller Brewing leave Milwaukee. It sounds like it is far from a given, but a realistic scenario if InBev buys SABMiller. If that occurs apparently InBev would sell off MillerCoors to MolsonCoors - its all kinda confusing b/c in the end I feel its under the same umbrella. Regardless would hate to see a Milwaukee landmark and all of those jobs gone. We'll see what happens.

I think it's crazy that Sam Adams is the largest American owned brewery and they only account for 1% of all the beer sold in the US.

Insane.
#FreeChuckDiesel
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#1393 » by stellation » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:16 am

I went all American fatty last night and made the Thomas Keller buttermilk fried chicken recipe. It's absolutely the best fried chicken I've had, and because I'm a hipster wanker my guilt was for my family's waistline only as the chicken was pasture raised from a guy I actually shook the hand of at my local farmer's market.

You have to make this, it is DEAD easy and the best you will ever eat. I followed the recipe from the book, you can see it here, and then kept it warm as I grooved/drank (ended up a late dinner, was going to be on time but was drinking scotch and dry then I put on the Rocky Horror soundtrack that I had to play the whole way through) in a moderate oven.

#FreeChuckDiesel
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,902

Post#1394 » by buckboy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:14 pm

Went to Braise Saturday night. Could not have been more impressed. Really really good food and the bartender made me an old fashioned that blew my mind. Just fantastic in every way. Service was good too. I would highly recommend it for people that aren't afraid to try things they've never heard of.

A+
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,479

Post#1395 » by neiLz » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:10 pm

Went to Maxie's over the weekend. Kind of expensive but possibly the best beef brisket I have had. They also make a great sazerac as well.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,121

Post#1396 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Wow. Dave Chappelle must still be funny. HIs October 27th shows (730 and 10) at the Pabst Theater sold out in 5 minutes. They added two shows on October 28th and they're both almost sold out. Haven't seen anything from him in a decade. Here's to hoping they add a third date.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#1397 » by humanrefutation » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:52 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:Wow. Dave Chappelle must still be funny. HIs October 27th shows (730 and 10) at the Pabst Theater sold out in 5 minutes. They added two shows on October 28th and they're both almost sold out. Haven't seen anything from him in a decade. Here's to hoping they add a third date.

I saw him during his Oddball Comedy Tour when he came to Chicago. He was excellent.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#1398 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:51 pm

If you live in Madison and you are looking for a nice little place to grab lunch or have a quick drink at night The Tip Top Tavern has been completely remodeled under new ownership and it is pretty damn good. Great mixture of atmosphere and good food.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#1399 » by humanrefutation » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:03 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:This thread is starting to make me irrationally angry. There is f***-all for food options in the the Chippewa Valley. One burger joint, one breakfast spot, one legit fine dining location but it's expensive as hell, average fish fries, zero seafood options and absolutely no good pizza to speak of. The lunch options are all terrible. Brunch isn't even an option.

I was told there's a new and really excellent vietnamese place with amazing pho, banh mi and other grilled sandwiches. Trying it out today. If it's good it would be the first great lunch option I've found here in six years.

Feel the same about Rice Lake. But you're so close to EC...there are a few decent spots there, no?

I'd say here are the options for a good meal, ranging from solid to "I'll drive an hour to eat here."

Burgers - Court n' House (solid Friday fish fry too, I guess) - The best burger I've ever had, and I've tried all the popular joints in Milwaukee.
Friday Fish Fry - Wigwam Tavern - Nothing spectacular, but pretty good. The place I hear that's the best is a bar in Colfax called the Albertville Tavern. Also apparently has incredible prime rib.
Pizza - Foster's Cheese Haus - It's a little thicker than the thin crust I like. But the toppings are great and the pizza's are huge and wood-fired. I usually stop when I'm south of EC on 94.
Wine Bar/Fine Dining - Duncan Creek in Chippwa - I've never had a bad thing here. They'll make any kind of risotto you ask for and I'd recommend the gorgonzola and roasted veggies. Pricy as **** for the area.
Sushi - Shanghai Bistro - It's alright.
Thai - Mahli Thai - Nothing special for the most part, but the Curry is pretty spectacular.
Vietnamese - Noodle Teahouse - Just went for the first time today. Pho was good, the grilled banh mi was dirt ass cheap but one of the tastiest things I've eaten here, egg rolls were really good. I'll be eating here a f***-ton.
Brunch - The Nucleus - Pretty **** amazing. Cool atmosphere in the back, awesome food. I'd recommend the chicken and waffles.

I just want to give you a shout out. I went to the Noodle Teahouse today to check them out. I had their grilled chicken banh mi and spring rolls. It was tremendous. The bread on the sandwich was perfect.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,121

Post#1400 » by JimmyTheKid » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:53 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:Wow. Dave Chappelle must still be funny. HIs October 27th shows (730 and 10) at the Pabst Theater sold out in 5 minutes. They added two shows on October 28th and they're both almost sold out. Haven't seen anything from him in a decade. Here's to hoping they add a third date.

I saw him during his Oddball Comedy Tour when he came to Chicago. He was excellent.

Luckily they DID add a 3rd date. Landed some great seats for October 29th at 7:30. Always loved Chappelle. But he fell off the face of the Earth. Glad he's back.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks