ImageImage

OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discussion

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Re: OT: Restaurant/Food/Beer Discussion 

Post#221 » by El Duderino » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:44 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Maria's Pizza. 'Nuff said.

I grew up eating that pizza because one of the owners who has since died was my grade school basketball coach. We'd go eat there after games.

Their pizza has a unique taste and i love thin crust pizza, no pizza has a thinner crust than Maria's.
Zeus LA
Junior
And1: 118

Post#222 » by Zeus LA » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Hey, could someone kindly recap the recommended eateries (steak and other, mid to high end) in Madison? I have been through this thread and it looks like most are Mil based. Some work colleagues and I are in Madison through the week and would love some recommendations. We walked State St last night and settled on State St Brats.
And now it's over to...Moira
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#223 » by jeremyd236 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:10 pm

The best steak downtown is at Johnny Delmonico's and Tornado Steakhouse. Tornado is definitely my favorite. Steaks run $40+.

Otherwise, The Old Fashioned and Coopers Tavern are my favorite affordable restaurants on the square ($8-15 per entree). These places have great atmospheres and generally are pretty loud. Graze is a little nicer and an interesting place to try at least once.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#224 » by skones » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:29 am

Zeus LA wrote:Hey, could someone kindly recap the recommended eateries (steak and other, mid to high end) in Madison? I have been through this thread and it looks like most are Mil based. Some work colleagues and I are in Madison through the week and would love some recommendations. We walked State St last night and settled on State St Brats.

State Street Brats food is pretty terrible IMO.

Jordan's Big Ten Pub has an excellent fish fry, and the best clam chowder I've ever had if you're into that. Dotty Dumpling's Dowry and The Old Fashioned make a damn fine burger. The Great Dane is always a fun place to go. It's not gourmet or anything, but it's safe, and they have a great beer selection. Bluephies has a really unique menu.

Based on your situation, I'd go with the Old Fashioned, it's on Capitol Square.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#225 » by midranger » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:25 am

Is Magnus still open in Madison? That was my favorite when I was a student.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#226 » by Ill-yasova » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:30 am

skones wrote:
Zeus LA wrote:Hey, could someone kindly recap the recommended eateries (steak and other, mid to high end) in Madison? I have been through this thread and it looks like most are Mil based. Some work colleagues and I are in Madison through the week and would love some recommendations. We walked State St last night and settled on State St Brats.

State Street Brats food is pretty terrible IMO.

Jordan's Big Ten Pub has an excellent fish fry, and the best clam chowder I've ever had if you're into that. Dotty Dumpling's Dowry and The Old Fashioned make a damn fine burger. The Great Dane is always a fun place to go. It's not gourmet or anything, but it's safe, and they have a great beer selection. Bluephies has a really unique menu.

Based on your situation, I'd go with the Old Fashioned, it's on Capitol Square.

Old Fashioned has great casual Wisconsin food and the cheapest, most awesome craft beer selection in the state.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#227 » by midranger » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:37 am

For entertaining a group like that, there are two places to go. The Terrace if it's nice and The Essen House if it's not.

For food, go to Willy Street and the Weary Traveler and grab a drink at Jolly Bob's afterward.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#228 » by Ill-yasova » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:46 am

midranger wrote:For entertaining a group like that, there are two places to go. The Terrace if it's nice and The Essen House if it's not.

For food, go to Willy Street and the Weary Traveler and grab a drink at Jolly Bob's afterward.

Essenhaus :clap: . Polka nights are the best.
Zeus LA
Junior
And1: 118

Post#229 » by Zeus LA » Mon Oct 1, 2012 5:09 pm

Appreciate all the feedback guys.
We ended up at Delaney's on the Westside of town after a recommendation from a colleague and the T-bone was sensational, as were the bar staff. Another guy with us had the filet, and he raved about it as well.

Definitely worth a try.
And now it's over to...Moira
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#230 » by jeremyd236 » Mon Oct 1, 2012 5:42 pm

midranger wrote:Is Magnus still open in Madison? That was my favorite when I was a student.

Unfortunately no, it is not
SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Post#231 » by SpursNBucks » Tue Oct 2, 2012 2:50 am

What I miss about Milwaukee - I lived in a condo on Prospect- so my stuff is limited to that are (walking distance).

Food- Zafiro's thin crust pizza, Suburpia subs, and there was a Mexican place right on North and Prospect- also the sands at Full Belly Deli were very good.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#232 » by Newz » Tue Oct 2, 2012 12:39 pm

Suburpia is the most hit or miss place I have ever ate in my life. One day I go there and it's the best sub I've ever had... I go there a couple days later and it is terrible. Not sure how they manage to do that when they are just making cold sandwiches.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,949

Post#233 » by RiotPunch » Tue Oct 2, 2012 11:06 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:What I miss about Milwaukee - I lived in a condo on Prospect- so my stuff is limited to that are (walking distance).

Food- Zafiro's thin crust pizza, Suburpia subs, and there was a Mexican place right on North and Prospect- also the sands at Full Belly Deli were very good.

Jalisco's!! Love going there for tacos and margaritas. I have had so many sandwiches from Koppa's Full-Belly Deli as well. Never cared much for Suburpia.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#234 » by LUKE23 » Thu Oct 4, 2012 4:02 pm

What are the best restaurants in downtown Milwaukee for an anniversary dinner? I'm thinking something with either great steak or great sushi.
Newz
Banned User

Post#235 » by Newz » Thu Oct 4, 2012 4:20 pm

LUKE23 wrote:What are the best restaurants in downtown Milwaukee for an anniversary dinner? I'm thinking something with either great steak or great sushi.

Do you want trendy or just classy?

I think Sanford is the best restaurant downtown. But that is a variety of flavors and you aren't getting basic stuff like steak/sushi... you are getting a menu where you probably won't know what 60-75% of the ingredients are. You are getting culinary excellence. Same with Braise.

If you want something trendy, like a "place to be seen" type in Milwaukee I would recommend Unami Moto for sushi or Carnivore for steak. Both have quality food, typically have very good service... but they are definitely extremely "trendy".

Lake Park Bistro and Harbor House would both be great places as well, depending on the atmosphere you want.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#236 » by LUKE23 » Thu Oct 4, 2012 4:22 pm

I love sushi, but am somewhat picky. Is Unami Moto high quality sushi?
Newz
Banned User

Post#237 » by Newz » Thu Oct 4, 2012 4:24 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I love sushi, but am somewhat picky. Is Unami Moto high quality sushi?

It's pretty good. Have you been to Red Sushi in Madison? I'd say it's right around that quality. They do some cool stuff with their fish though. If you get sashimi they get pretty creative. Like I ordered just tuna sashimi once and it came out with some apples and cinnamon with it.

I think Izumi's has the best sushi in Milwaukee... but it isn't really an "anniversary" type restaurant.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#238 » by LUKE23 » Thu Oct 4, 2012 4:26 pm

I haven't been to Red Sushi. My favorite sushi place in Madison is Muramoto. Don't know if you've had that.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#239 » by crkone » Thu Oct 4, 2012 4:56 pm

Newz wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:What are the best restaurants in downtown Milwaukee for an anniversary dinner? I'm thinking something with either great steak or great sushi.

Do you want trendy or just classy?

I think Sanford is the best restaurant downtown. But that is a variety of flavors and you aren't getting basic stuff like steak/sushi... you are getting a menu where you probably won't know what 60-75% of the ingredients are. You are getting culinary excellence. Same with Braise.

If you want something trendy, like a "place to be seen" type in Milwaukee I would recommend Unami Moto for sushi or Carnivore for steak. Both have quality food, typically have very good service... but they are definitely extremely "trendy".

Lake Park Bistro and Harbor House would both be great places as well, depending on the atmosphere you want.

Harbor House or Ward's would be good.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Newz
Banned User

Post#240 » by Newz » Thu Oct 4, 2012 5:59 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I haven't been to Red Sushi. My favorite sushi place in Madison is Muramoto. Don't know if you've had that.

I haven't so I can't really draw a comparison. I saw someone mention Ward's. I haven't been there, but a few people I know think it's pretty good.

Harbor House really is a good bet though. Best view in Milwaukee as it is right on the lake.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks