ImageImage

OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discussion

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Re: OT: Restaurant/Food/Beer Discussion 

Post#181 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:08 pm

Easily my favorite pizza place right now. You may remember them from my pic of the 5lb calzone.
http://salvatorestomatopies.com/
In the pizza industry, there are many ways to cut corners. We don’t. Our flour is high grade, and un-brominated. Potassium Bromide is a known carcinogen that is banned in almost all the world except the United States. In fact, if you buy a pizza in Canada that contains Potassium Bromide, the box would have to have a warning label similar to a pack of cigarettes. Consider that next time you see a sign that says “$5.00″ pizza. Our tomato products are simply the best you can get in the United States. We add no sugar to the tomatoes, and use locally produced fresh herbs to craft our sauce. The crimini mushrooms we use are grown here in Wisconsin, as is the Zucchini and other vegetables. And then there is cheese, Wisconsin produced cheese. We add no sugar to our dough either. We ferment the dough in order for it to develop a natural sweetness. Our sausage and pesto is made in house. All this of course means that our food and labor costs are a bit more expensive, but you can’t beat the result. And besides, my grampa Pasquale would be incredibly upset if he found out we were cutting corners. Because we use as much local products as possible, our menu will change a bit with the seasons.

:clap:
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#182 » by Newz » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:20 pm

chuckleslove wrote:
beyond_the_arc wrote:Armeli's in New Berlin (same owner and recipes from Pepino's Brookfield) and Glass Nickel Pub in Brookfield have pizza's that make it pointless to drive to Zaffiro's.

I think Glass Nickle is straight garbage but to each their own.

I have had a couple good pizzas from Nickle and a couple of bad ones. They aren't even remotely close to as good as Zaffiro's though... even on their best day and Zaffiro's worst day.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,402

Post#183 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:44 pm

The annual top 30 list is out. Obviously not any pizza places but some good food when you want to spend some cash.

http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/d ... 55556.html
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,023

Post#184 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:Easily my favorite pizza place right now. You may remember them from my pic of the 5lb calzone.
In the pizza industry, there are many ways to cut corners. We don’t. Our flour is high grade, and un-brominated. Potassium Bromide is a known carcinogen that is banned in almost all the world except the United States. In fact, if you buy a pizza in Canada that contains Potassium Bromide, the box would have to have a warning label similar to a pack of cigarettes. Consider that next time you see a sign that says “$5.00″ pizza. Our tomato products are simply the best you can get in the United States. We add no sugar to the tomatoes, and use locally produced fresh herbs to craft our sauce. The crimini mushrooms we use are grown here in Wisconsin, as is the Zucchini and other vegetables. And then there is cheese, Wisconsin produced cheese. We add no sugar to our dough either. We ferment the dough in order for it to develop a natural sweetness. Our sausage and pesto is made in house. All this of course means that our food and labor costs are a bit more expensive, but you can’t beat the result. And besides, my grampa Pasquale would be incredibly upset if he found out we were cutting corners. Because we use as much local products as possible, our menu will change a bit with the seasons.

It better be an amazing pie if I'm spending $20 on one.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#185 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:53 pm

DrugBust wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:Easily my favorite pizza place right now. You may remember them from my pic of the 5lb calzone.

It better be an amazing pie if I'm spending $20 on one.

Portions are quite large too, so it pays for itself.
bigdog34
Senior
And1: 96

Post#186 » by bigdog34 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:28 pm

There is a new Mama Mia's opening up in Mequon on Oct 1st. Location is on 76th (wauatosa rd) and Mequon Rd.
Sell! Sell!! Sell!!!!
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#187 » by chuckleslove » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:52 pm

$20 is about what I expect to pay for a pizza, but I already mentioned on the last page I'm a pizza snob plus I always get the largest size they have to offer since I love me some leftover pizza.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#188 » by skones » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:56 pm

I was not impressed with Zaffiro's at all.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,023

Post#189 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:59 pm

Now I want good homemade pizza.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#190 » by Newz » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:08 pm

skones wrote:I was not impressed with Zaffiro's at all.

Which one did you go to?
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#191 » by Johnlac1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:27 am

Aaron It Out wrote:
N8Frog wrote:
beyond_the_arc wrote:There's nothing really late night but I can help with a couple of suggestions if I know which side of town you're staying on and if you're driving.

Will be right by the Brookfield Mall.

Marty's Pizza has really ruined other pizza places for me. Always went to the one in Delafield but the one in Brookfield is good too. Ever since I moved from the area I have been searching for my new Marty's, and I have not found it. Doubt they're open late night since they're more of a family restaurant though.

Marty's is really good. The wife and I were in Milwaukee in July for the Rod Stewart concert, and after we got to the motel in Brookfield, we were too tired to traipse around looking for a quick eat. Fortunately Marty's was almost next door, and we ordered some pizzas. Very, very good pies.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#192 » by skones » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:09 am

Newz wrote:
skones wrote:I was not impressed with Zaffiro's at all.

Which one did you go to?

Farwell. It's right around the corner from my place.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#193 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:46 am

chuckleslove wrote:$20 is about what I expect to pay for a pizza, but I already mentioned on the last page I'm a pizza snob plus I always get the largest size they have to offer since I love me some leftover pizza.

Same. Seems reasonable to me.

Haven't gotten to Salvatore's yet but I have heard about it from multiple people, all of which were rave reviews.
UWM_Brew_Buck
Analyst
And1: 883

Post#194 » by UWM_Brew_Buck » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:47 am

Maria's pizza is my favorite but I haven't been to that many other pizza joints. Marcos makes a good pizza for the price, but sometimes it is hit or miss if you get a good pizza. I've been to Jimmy K's a few times and it has always been pretty good.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#195 » by Ill-yasova » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:25 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
chuckleslove wrote:$20 is about what I expect to pay for a pizza, but I already mentioned on the last page I'm a pizza snob plus I always get the largest size they have to offer since I love me some leftover pizza.

Same. Seems reasonable to me.

Haven't gotten to Salvatore's yet but I have heard about it from multiple people, all of which were rave reviews.

When I got my calzone there it wasn't even on the menu. I asked about it and the owner/chef said he wanted to make one anyway for the fun of it and that's how I ended up with a calzone that fed 3 people....twice. Awesome owner and great food.
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#196 » by jeremyd236 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:17 am

Makes sense. You have to pay a premium to get quality ingredients, especially in the United States. My grandparents live in Sun Prairie, and I make a visit to Salvatore's whenever I get the chance. I vacationed in Italy for 2.5 weeks this summer, and the mindset with food there is simply the quality of the ingredients. Salvatore's isn't quite like the food in Italy, but it's created with the same mindset. It very much reminds me of Punch Pizza (in terms of focus on ingredients) in the Twin Cities. Very good stuff.

For those that enjoy their $5 Little Caeser's pizzas, this may not be for you.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#197 » by Ill-yasova » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:41 am

jeremyd236 wrote:

Makes sense. You have to pay a premium to get quality ingredients, especially in the United States. My grandparents live in Sun Prairie, and I make a visit to Salvatore's whenever I get the chance. I vacationed in Italy for 2.5 weeks this summer, and the mindset with food there is simply the quality of the ingredients. Salvatore's isn't quite like the food in Italy, but it's created with the same mindset. It very much reminds me of Punch Pizza (in terms of focus on ingredients) in the Twin Cities. Very good stuff.

For those that enjoy their $5 Little Caeser's pizzas, this may not be for you.

It's funny because if somebody said "I went to a really great restaurant and got dinner with my wife for $20 and it was incredible." I'd say wow, that's an awesome deal where did you go? But pizza has the stereotype of being cheap, so a $20 pizza is outrageous to some people. I told my brother-in-law about Salvatore's and he said he would never eat there because of the price.
beyond_the_arc
Starter
And1: 46

Post#198 » by beyond_the_arc » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:30 pm

Newz wrote:
chuckleslove wrote:
beyond_the_arc wrote:Armeli's in New Berlin (same owner and recipes from Pepino's Brookfield) and Glass Nickel Pub in Brookfield have pizza's that make it pointless to drive to Zaffiro's.

I think Glass Nickle is straight garbage but to each their own.

I have had a couple good pizzas from Nickle and a couple of bad ones. They aren't even remotely close to as good as Zaffiro's though... even on their best day and Zaffiro's worst day.

Zaffiro's is over-rated, I'm at the point that I think people view it as amazing because there's only a half dozen tables.
Postby SubyWill on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Magic fan checking in, holy **** Harris is legit. Your GM should be fired.

No ****.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#199 » by mattg » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Zaffiros is overhyped. Sure it's good, but it's not so good that I'm blown away or where it's clearly better than other pizza I've had. Keep in mind I've only been to the farwell location though.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,949

Post#200 » by RiotPunch » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:10 pm

Maria's Pizza. 'Nuff said.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis

Return to Milwaukee Bucks