ImageImage

OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discussion

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,480

Re: OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discuss 

Post#1521 » by neiLz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:11 pm

I will definitely take note and check them out. THanks!
UWNick
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#1522 » by UWNick » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:26 pm

Can somebody explain the universal love of Blue's Egg to me? I think a fine place for brunch, but that place consistently has over an hour wait on the weekends, sterling reviews on yelp and other sites, and is always high on the suggestion list from friends and strangers alike. Furthermore, I've had at least 2 out of town friends hear about it and want to go there.

Are monkey bread and cheese on your hash-browns that revolutionary? I used to think it was because it was the only above diner place for brunch outside of "downtown," which is basically anywhere east of Miller Park to a lot of people I know, but there's plenty of other decent places in the 'tosa village. I just don't get it. /rant
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#1523 » by crkone » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:16 pm

I can't stand the wait there. I agree it's okay but nothing special. Cafe Bavaria has awesome options for brunch.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,124

Post#1524 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:14 pm

UWNick wrote:Can somebody explain the universal love of Blue's Egg to me? I think a fine place for brunch, but that place consistently has over an hour wait on the weekends, sterling reviews on yelp and other sites, and is always high on the suggestion list from friends and strangers alike. Furthermore, I've had at least 2 out of town friends hear about it and want to go there.

Are monkey bread and cheese on your hash-browns that revolutionary? I used to think it was because it was the only above diner place for brunch outside of "downtown," which is basically anywhere east of Miller Park to a lot of people I know, but there's plenty of other decent places in the 'tosa village. I just don't get it. /rant

I work a few minutes away from Blue's Egg. Its crazy. I go in for a quick bite mid week around 11AM and its slammed. I always grab a stool at the "counter" because I don't want to wait for a table. The hash browns are really really good. And the breakfast pizza with eggs, bacon, spinach, tomatoes and a white sauce is also tasty. I get it every single time because the few times I tried something on the lunch menu, I've been disappointed. I would never wait an hour, or even a half an hour to eat there. Rather head up Blue Mound for some GWebb :D But yeah, its overrated.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,760

Post#1525 » by HaroldinGMinor » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:41 pm

UWNick wrote:Can somebody explain the universal love of Blue's Egg to me? ...... I just don't get it. /rant

I feel the same way about Ma Fischer's. I will never understand why people will wait so long for such an average meal.
UWNick
Sophomore

Post#1526 » by UWNick » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:09 pm

I've never tried Ma Fischer's but maybe the disconnect is that there's very few places I'd sit around and wait for. If I'm going to a good restaurant I'm usually making a reservation.

The one place I am regularly ok with the wait is The Noble, but that place has like 5 tables and doesn't take reservations. Their food is pretty damn good though.

It's not that Blue's Egg is bad, but like everybody else is saying, to me it's just above average. I think you're spot on though Harold, waiting for "OK" food is just something I don't understand.

Ckrone, we tried Bavaria for brunch the other weekend and it was pretty good. Easily the best of all the "Cafe ...." line of restaurants.
DickCunningham
Rookie
And1: 238

Post#1527 » by DickCunningham » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:23 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
UWNick wrote:Can somebody explain the universal love of Blue's Egg to me? ...... I just don't get it. /rant

I feel the same way about Ma Fischer's. I will never understand why people will wait so long for such an average meal.

I thought that Ma Fischer's was the place to go when your are between drunk and hung over. I don't remember the food at all.
"Our goal is to become a championship team," Kidd said.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,760

Post#1528 » by HaroldinGMinor » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:32 pm

DickCunningham wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

I thought that Ma Fischer's was the place to go when your are between drunk and hung over. I don't remember the food at all.

It is. Which is why sober people waiting in line to eat there on a Sunday morning is so befuddling.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,997

Post#1529 » by humanrefutation » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:19 pm

DickCunningham wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

I thought that Ma Fischer's was the place to go when your are between drunk and hung over.

Or to hang out with Senator Kohl.
UWNick
Sophomore

Post#1530 » by UWNick » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:26 pm

What are some places that people would consider "worth the wait?"

For brunch my top choice would be: Honey Pie

For dinner my top choice would be: The Noble
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#1531 » by drew881 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:30 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
DickCunningham wrote:[

I thought that Ma Fischer's was the place to go when your are between drunk and hung over.

Or to hang out with Senator Kohl.[/quote]

Ma Fischer's is the 8 seed of restaurants.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#1532 » by drew881 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:32 pm

Also, it never ceased to amaze me at how either old school/geriatric our owners are and were. I remember going to the Range Line Inn in Mequon in 15 years ago with my 80 year old grandparents and running into Bud Selig. He fit right in with the clientele.
crkone
RealGM

Post#1533 » by crkone » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:58 pm

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/t ... 14.220936/

The guys from Beer Advocate are coming to Madison:

We'll post updates/times here:

Mon, Nov 17
I'll be at The Old Fashioned on Monday by no later than 7:30pm.

Wed, Nov 19
We're planning on roughly 2 hours at each of these stops:
Vintage Brewing (3pm start)
Next Door Brewing
One Barrel Brewing
Great Dane - Downtown
Thu, Nov 20
Karben4 Brewing & Ale Asylum in the afternoon; before we fly back home.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
LarryHarris
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#1534 » by LarryHarris » Sat Dec 6, 2014 9:54 pm

Hey guys, my friends and I finished our quest to eat at Milwaukee restaurants alphabetically. The final ratings for all 26 restaurants are here:

https://aslightdiscomfort.wordpress.com/abcs-of-milwaukee-dining/

Our last place was Zaffiro's on Farwell, which left a little to be desired. Wish we would have gone to a great place to finish up, but oh well.

Anyways, thanks for reading!
"It is time." -Kevin Greene to Clay Matthews at Super Bowl XLV

"I ain't got time for jokers to be bangin' on the drum." -Gary Ellerson
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#1535 » by El Duderino » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:40 am

My dad wants to get some ribs for his birthday and i was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a preferably non-chain restaurant place in the Milwaukee or near surrounding area?

He loves BBQ and i took him to Puddle Jumpers by the airport a few months ago which we both loved and he wanted to go back there, but i found out that they closed unfortunately. I love BBQ also, but more often than not i've found stuff like ribs or smoked brisket to be very mediocre or worse at places i've gone to eat.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#1536 » by Badgerlander » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 pm

El Duderino wrote:My dad wants to get some ribs for his birthday and i was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a preferably non-chain restaurant place in the Milwaukee or near surrounding area?

He loves BBQ and i took him to Puddle Jumpers by the airport a few months ago which we both loved and he wanted to go back there, but i found out that they closed unfortunately. I love BBQ also, but more often than not i've found stuff like ribs or smoked brisket to be very mediocre or worse at places i've gone to eat.

http://www.speedqueenbbq.com/
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
crkone
RealGM

Post#1537 » by crkone » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:26 pm

DocHoliday wrote:
El Duderino wrote:My dad wants to get some ribs for his birthday and i was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a preferably non-chain restaurant place in the Milwaukee or near surrounding area?

Probably the most reliable. People have had mixed feelings about the rest. Ashleys, Saz's, Smoke Shack, Double B's, and Atlas are some of the remaining.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#1538 » by Badgerlander » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:31 pm

crkone wrote:
DocHoliday wrote:

Probably the most reliable. People have had mixed feelings about the rest. Ashleys, Saz's, Smoke Shack, Double B's, and Atlas are some of the remaining.

I like Saz's sunday brunch because of the variety of food and it's all decent though not spectacular, and it's pricey. I went to the Smoke Shack about a month ago and it really isn't any better than Dickeys BBQ chain.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,013

Post#1539 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:36 pm

The two things I've decided I've never had really good versions of are BBQ and fried chicken. You watch any amount of TV on the Food Network or Travel Channel or follow someone like Andy Staples on Twitter and you see people lose their goddamn minds over both. I've never had any that was so much better than anything else I've tried that it changed my mind on what BBQ and fried chicken could be.

One of these years I want to take a road trip to the South and the famous joints I keep seeing and find out what I've apparently been missing.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#1540 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:42 pm

crkone wrote:
DocHoliday wrote:

Speed Queen - Outside shoulder. Ribs are meh.
Smoke Shack - Ribs tasty & quality of meat good, but portions are poor & ribs have little meat on bones

Go to Carsons if you want good ribs. Most consistent. Meaty ribs. Smoked, not rubbed. Sauce is great.

Pizza Man is the off the wall place that randomly has amazing ribs too.

Carsons or Pizza Man are my go tos for ribs and I've tried every place in MKE there is to try.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks