ImageImage

OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discussion

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Re: OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discuss 

Post#981 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:50 pm

stellation wrote:Which cut of steak is the go to selection for cooking at home for everyone? Condiments? Any must do steak cooking tricks you roll with? Do you buy a different cut when you have people over?

Ribeye is my favorite, especially since they (often) are boneless. They can run $12-$15# (GB area) if not on sale. Porterhouse is probably my 2nd favorite. My wife is a fan of NY Strip Steak which is essentially a less fatty ribeye. Sirloin is decent, especially if you're going to marinade it.

I generally don't do condiments since the meat itself is good and juicy. If I do its usually A1. I've done pork steaks and then will use BBQ sauce. So far Mad Dog & Merrill and Big Bob Gibson's BBQ have been some of my favs.

I don't have any tricks really. I'll sometime turn 90 degrees every few minutes to get steak lines.

If I have people over, I'll generally get all the same unless somebody has a strong preference. If no sale, I'll go sirloin since its boneless and often cheaper than my other favorites.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#982 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:56 pm

chuckleslove wrote:As for my seasoning on my steak, I swear by Lawry's Seasoning Salt for pretty much all of my meat and steak is no different, a little bit of that with some garlic and a little butter is all I use. Always eat my steak with a side of sauteed mushrooms and onions as well(sometimes add bacon to my saute/hash).

Lawry's is generally safe choice for most items. I've been using "Grillin Magic" by Mad Dog & Merrill for my steaks the past year or so, and its really good. Montreal Steak seasoning I always liked too.

My bro/sister in law have lived down in Alabama the past couple years and recently bought me the famous northern Alabama white sauce (Big Bob Gibson). I was curious to try but didn't love upon my first try. It definitely seems like an acquired taste. Its almost like liquid vinegar/mayo/black pepper mix. Looks like ranch but didn't taste much like it.
LarryHarris
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#983 » by LarryHarris » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:33 pm

stellation wrote:
LarryHarris wrote:Anyone been to Wolf Peach for dinner? We went for brunch and really enjoyed it!

http://aslightdiscomfort.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/wolf-peach-milwaukee-reveiw/

Sensational view to go along with the good food.

Is that your blog? It looks great and I love the format of the reviews.

That place looks like fun- except for the hard fried eggs! Who doesn't want runny yolks with hash!?!??!?!? :D

It is... Thanks!!!

If over hard eggs were my only weird food quirk, that would be great. My biggest problem is I don't like cheese--I'm not allergic, I just don't like it. That is incredibly impossible for my fellow Wisconsinites to understand.
"It is time." -Kevin Greene to Clay Matthews at Super Bowl XLV

"I ain't got time for jokers to be bangin' on the drum." -Gary Ellerson
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#984 » by chuckleslove » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:42 pm

Boneless top sirloin strip steak from Sam's Club are my steak of choice
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,136

Post#985 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:15 pm

LarryHarris wrote:
stellation wrote:
LarryHarris wrote:Anyone been to Wolf Peach for dinner? We went for brunch and really enjoyed it!

http://aslightdiscomfort.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/wolf-peach-milwaukee-reveiw/

Sensational view to go along with the good food.

Is that your blog? It looks great and I love the format of the reviews.

That place looks like fun- except for the hard fried eggs! Who doesn't want runny yolks with hash!?!??!?!? :D

It is... Thanks!!!

If over hard eggs were my only weird food quirk, that would be great. My biggest problem is I don't like cheese--I'm not allergic, I just don't like it. That is incredibly impossible for my fellow Wisconsinites to understand.

LarryHarris,

Very, very, very cool blog. Check out Swinging Door. Tell someone who likes runny eggs and mixing everything together to get the corned beef hash. I'm about to read some of your reviews. Cheers!

*Edit - I live on Farwell so I eat Comet and Jow Nai a couple times each every month. Didn't look like anyone tried AJ's Compact Dinner, which is sad. Deep fried balls of turkey and cheesy mashed potatoes sitting in a boat of gravy with brussel sprouts on the side. Best entree there. The Burger is also really good. And they just added a Philly Cheese steak that is also a go-to. I'm glad someone tried the Leghorn because thats one of my favorites. Andy, the manager, is always rocking Bucks and Brewers hats. Chat him up next time. He knows his sports!

EE Sane is arguably the best Thai restaurant in Milwaukee. Its located on Farwell Ave, too, but I like Jow Nai. I get the Peanut Fan spicy every time and dumplings. So good.

And I see Odd Duck in Bay View received your highest rating. That place is incredible.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#986 » by Mags FTW » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:01 pm

Best Frozen Pizza...Go
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#987 » by Ill-yasova » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:42 pm

Leroy Meats in Horicon has pizza it distributes to the Metcalfe's stores and it is phenomenal.

Sent From My Rotary Phone
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#988 » by stellation » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:13 pm

Boo to frozen pizza!
#FreeChuckDiesel
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#989 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:25 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Best Frozen Pizza...Go

Jacks for the really inexpensive stuff and I really like Palermo's Pizzeria style overall. Red Baron is a good in between option. Luige's thicker crust is really good but will run $7-$8/pizza and can be hard to find. If in central WI, Portesi's is good.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#990 » by Ill-yasova » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:29 pm

stellation wrote:Boo to frozen pizza!

There has been a big influx of independent pizza makers here in Wisconsin who make very high quality stuff. It's not as good as some of the top pizza places around (Salvatores), but sometimes you just want to stay in and spend $8 on a pizza. It's actually been kind of similar to the whole craft beer scene.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,949

Post#991 » by RiotPunch » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:31 pm

#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#992 » by Ill-yasova » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:04 am

RiotPunch wrote:Image

That's my second favorite. Pretty damn good.
LarryHarris
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#993 » by LarryHarris » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:46 am

JimmyTheKid wrote: LarryHarris,

Very, very, very cool blog. Check out Swinging Door. Tell someone who likes runny eggs and mixing everything together to get the corned beef hash. I'm about to read some of your reviews. Cheers!

*Edit - I live on Farwell so I eat Comet and Jow Nai a couple times each every month. Didn't look like anyone tried AJ's Compact Dinner, which is sad. Deep fried balls of turkey and cheesy mashed potatoes sitting in a boat of gravy with brussel sprouts on the side. Best entree there. The Burger is also really good. And they just added a Philly Cheese steak that is also a go-to. I'm glad someone tried the Leghorn because thats one of my favorites. Andy, the manager, is always rocking Bucks and Brewers hats. Chat him up next time. He knows his sports!

EE Sane is arguably the best Thai restaurant in Milwaukee. Its located on Farwell Ave, too, but I like Jow Nai. I get the Peanut Fan spicy every time and dumplings. So good.

And I see Odd Duck in Bay View received your highest rating. That place is incredible.

Thanks for checking out my blog! The Swinging Door has been on my list for a while.

You have a lot of great places over by you then, we ended up at a lot of places over on the Eastside. The Compact Dinner sounds great, however I don't like cheese (I know how crazy this sounds, believe, no one I know lets me hear the end of it, EVER). The philly might be up my alley.

Someone tried to get us to go to EE Sane when we did "E." We ended up at the Eatery. It was pretty okay (and close now, I'm sure you know), but I wish we would have made it to EE Sane.

This has been a lot of fun, and I have a new idea in store after we make it to 'Z.'

Thanks again for checking it out!
"It is time." -Kevin Greene to Clay Matthews at Super Bowl XLV

"I ain't got time for jokers to be bangin' on the drum." -Gary Ellerson
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#994 » by Mags FTW » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:18 am

Every time I'm looking at the frozen pizza section, I think about getting the Lotsa Motza but I want to make sure it's good before I spend $6-$7 in it. Jack's is always my go-to (Mexican or Supreme) because it tastes good and there's always a deal like 4 for $11. The latest brand I tried was the newer Screamin' Sicilian. It was pretty good and is loaded with toppings. If I feel like deep dish I'll grab an Uno's or Geno's East. I recall people on this board mentioning Home Run Inn all the time, but every time I've had it, it came out super greasy.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,019

Post#995 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:57 am

Heggies is really good. Normally I doctor a frozen pizza up with whatever I have around, but they don't need it.

But the weird but true best frozen pizza is found at Kwik Trip. The Urge brand thin crust pizzas found in the white boxes are awesome.

Still, doctor any frozen pizza you buy with good olive oil, extra cheese, basil and oregano.
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#996 » by RiotPunch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:18 am

Mags FTW wrote:

Every time I'm looking at the frozen pizza section, I think about getting the Lotsa Motza but I want to make sure it's good before I spend $6-$7 in it. Jack's is always my go-to (Mexican or Supreme) because it tastes good and there's always a deal like 4 for $11. The latest brand I tried was the newer Screamin' Sicilian. It was pretty good and is loaded with toppings. If I feel like deep dish I'll grab an Uno's or Geno's East. I recall people on this board mentioning Home Run Inn all the time, but every time I've had it, it came out super greasy.

Do yourself a favor and try it. If you are used to Jack's, your taste buds will appreciate the upgrade,
#FreeChuckDiesel
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#997 » by RiotPunch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:20 am

Nothing wrong with an Emil's every now and then either.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#998 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:57 pm

Mags FTW wrote:

Lotsa Motza is good, and sometimes I see Buy 1, Get 1 deals. Its basically a frozen pizza loaded with cheese, so you can easily do on your own too.

ReasonablySober wrote:Still, doctor any frozen pizza you buy with good olive oil, extra cheese, basil and oregano.

Yeah, we'll do this from time to time and make a pizza better. Then again if I do this, I can just buy a crust and make it on my pizza stone on the grill --- or in the oven.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#999 » by chuckleslove » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:19 pm

Not specific to Milwaukee per se but I know we have had recipes shared in the past. I haven't tried this but I think I'm going to have to, it basically screams Wisconsin comfort food all over it.

Beer soaked grilled cheese

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/rec ... ed-cheese/
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,019

Post#1000 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:58 pm

chuckleslove wrote:Not specific to Milwaukee per se but I know we have had recipes shared in the past. I haven't tried this but I think I'm going to have to, it basically screams Wisconsin comfort food all over it.

Beer soaked grilled cheese

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/rec ... ed-cheese/

holy hell i'm having that tonight.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks