ImageImage

OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discussion

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Re: OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discussion 

Post#1601 » by chuckleslove » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:28 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Not gonna lie McDonalds fries are kind of a must once every six months or so. Love them. But that's about it for fast food.

I just get confused when I see people on Twitter traveling for their jobs and the first thing I read is how they had to go right straight to Chick FIl A. Like, you're visiting LA/NY/New Orleans...whatever. You're telling me you're wasting valuable stomach real estate on fast food? GTFO.

I will also agree that I love some McDonalds fries, I also think their breakfast sausage is laced with crack or something. Beyond that their food is awful though.

Chik-Fil-a is definitely better than most fast food, I'd take Culver's over it for fast food type. Never understood the Popeye's love, I think their chicken is awful, I would eat KFC over Popeyes. The best fast food fried chicken I have ever had was from some smaller chain I think in Nashville 15 years ago or so. I tried to find the name but couldn't find it searching google/yelp so they may have gone out of business or been bought out.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,902

Post#1602 » by buckboy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Taking the woman to Braise this weekend. Anyone ever been there? Recommendations?

http://www.braiselocalfood.com

If I'm not too late, I looove Braise. Pretty much everything. They change their menu so often that I've never had anything on their current menu and I was just there.

My main recommendation would be that, if you're an old-fashioned drinker, you have to talk to the bartenders and have them custom make you an old-fashioned. They are fantastic.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#1603 » by Buck You » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:13 am

Can't wait for the brass tap to open.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#1604 » by crkone » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:53 am

So what's everyone doing tomorrow night? My wife and I want some ideas.
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#1605 » by Aaron It Out » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:36 pm

Not a food related question but has anyone stayed at the aloft hotel downtown? Need somewhere to stay this Friday after the game. Their rates are the most reasonable within walking distance of the arena. How about a good place for brunch the next day? Might be looking to hit up a couple bars after the game too but not sure. Can anyone offer some insight/suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using RealGM Forums mobile app
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,002

Re: 

Post#1606 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:46 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:Not a food related question but has anyone stayed at the aloft hotel downtown? Need somewhere to stay this Friday after the game. Their rates are the most reasonable within walking distance of the arena. How about a good place for brunch the next day? Might be looking to hit up a couple bars after the game too but not sure. Can anyone offer some insight/suggestions?

I really liked my stay there. I don't know much about the surrounding area but when I visit MKE again Aloft is likely where I'll be staying.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Re: 

Post#1607 » by LUKE23 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:49 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:Not a food related question but has anyone stayed at the aloft hotel downtown? Need somewhere to stay this Friday after the game. Their rates are the most reasonable within walking distance of the arena. How about a good place for brunch the next day? Might be looking to hit up a couple bars after the game too but not sure. Can anyone offer some insight/suggestions?

Loved it. Super modern feel to it and really comfortable rooms.

This is my brunch/breakfast spot in Milwaukee, about a mile from the hotel:

http://www.cafebenelux.com/
Aaron It Out
General Manager

Post#1608 » by Aaron It Out » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks guys, just made my reservation. Can't beat a $90 king within walking distance from the BC on a Friday night. Cafe Benelux looks nice too. I think we'll go there for their brunch. My girlfriend would like to go to Lucile's to see the dueling pianos but I doubt they'll still be playing by the time we leave. We always meet up with someone at the courtside club after games so we don't leave until late. It looks like there is a bar right inside Aloft so if it's decent that should take care of any problems finding a place to go.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,022

Post#1609 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:39 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:Thanks guys, just made my reservation. Can't beat a $90 king within walking distance from the BC on a Friday night. Cafe Benelux looks nice too. I think we'll go there for their brunch. My girlfriend would like to go to Lucile's to see the dueling pianos but I doubt they'll still be playing by the time we leave. We always meet up with someone at the courtside club after games so we don't leave until late. It looks like there is a bar right inside Aloft so if it's decent that should take care of any problems finding a place to go.

There are plenty of bars on 3rd that lead up to Alofts so you won't have any problem finding a spot. Trinity/Arts is also across the bridge. If your into cheap drinks and dive bars, Dukes is my favorite on that corner. If you head any further south on water, you start finding the younger, more bro bars. Plenty of options depending on your taste.

I always had an unreasonable personal vendetta against Lucille's. They always charge cover without a way to get in free and it would piss me off as a cheap college kid who hadn't been to other cities where cover is more common.
Aaron It Out
General Manager

Post#1610 » by Aaron It Out » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:50 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Aaron It Out wrote:Thanks guys, just made my reservation. Can't beat a $90 king within walking distance from the BC on a Friday night. Cafe Benelux looks nice too. I think we'll go there for their brunch. My girlfriend would like to go to Lucile's to see the dueling pianos but I doubt they'll still be playing by the time we leave. We always meet up with someone at the courtside club after games so we don't leave until late. It looks like there is a bar right inside Aloft so if it's decent that should take care of any problems finding a place to go.

There are plenty of bars on 3rd that lead up to Alofts so you won't have any problem finding a spot. Trinity/Arts is also across the bridge. If your into cheap drinks and dive bars, Dukes is my favorite on that corner. If you head any further south on water, you start finding the younger, more bro bars. Plenty of options depending on your taste.

I always had an unreasonable personal vendetta against Lucille's. They always charge cover without a way to get in free and it would piss me off as a cheap college kid who hadn't been to other cities where cover is more common.

I did see that with a valid college ID they don't charge a cover, but yeah, I don't think we'll be ending up there. Thanks for the suggestions. I've never been anywhere in that area at night, so looking forward to checking a few of these places out.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
wapith
Junior
And1: 164

Post#1611 » by wapith » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:47 pm

Yea Aloft is nicely located near both the Old World 3rd and Water Street bars. Not a big fan of Lucille's though. Besides the cover charge which was already mentioned, I just think the dueling pianos tires quickly. It's a big destination for bachelorette parties which might help you understand the type of atmosphere.

My favorite bar in that area is Pourman's on Water Street (located at the former Fitzgibbons). Definitely a different vibe than the other Water Street bars which tend to attract a younger crowd. It is more upscale and chill, with a solid beer selection, and even cigars available if that's your thing.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,121

Re: 

Post#1612 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:18 pm

crkone wrote:So what's everyone doing tomorrow night? My wife and I want some ideas.

Meeting some friends at Stubby's for the Bucks game and my favorite beer on the planet. They're tapping 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust at 6PM. Sssshhhhh. Don't tell anyone. After the Bucks game, heading home for daddy duty. Probably won't make it to midnight. My first "old man" NYE ever.

Happy New Year Bucks fans!
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,121

Re: 

Post#1613 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Swinging Door on Michigan makes the bets corned beef hash I've ever had (probably the 3rd time I've posted about it)

http://www.swingindoorexchange.com/

I also love Cafe Corazon for brunch

http://www.corazonmilwaukee.com/

I usually hit Tutto before a Bucks game. Its kind of an "upscale" Italian Sports Bar on Old World 3rd. The spicy seafood spinach dip is a must. Everything on the menu is good. You can walk right out the back door, through the alley, cross the street, and the Bradley Center is right there.

http://www.tuttomilwaukee.com

After the game, try the new Ale Asylum restaurant on the river for some good local (Madison) brews.

Have fun!
crkone
RealGM

Post#1614 » by crkone » Thu Jan 8, 2015 2:43 pm

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#1615 » by Newz » Thu Jan 8, 2015 2:46 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Taking the woman to Braise this weekend. Anyone ever been there? Recommendations?

http://www.braiselocalfood.com

I was there once and it was good, but not great. The one excellent thing they had when I went was this salmon cream cheese dip stuff. It was redonk. We had a table with three people at it and I'm pretty we ordered like four of those things by the end of our meal. :lol:
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#1616 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Jan 9, 2015 5:23 am

crkone wrote:http://www.beercellar.me/cellar/crkone

My current cellar

Very nice list. Unfortunately, I don't have the patience for cellaring but I have had quite a few of the beers on your list. Arabian Date Night was absolutely delicious. Vanilla dominates in that beer and it is a big boozy desert treat.

By far my favorite out of that list though, and one of my favorites ever, is the Kosmyk Charlie's Y2K Catastrophe Ale. I know there are other beers that are more highly rated but that beer has been a personal favorite for a long time.

Edit: Also, you seem to have way too many bottles of Twelve-Dog. Let me help you out with that. :D
crkone
RealGM

Post#1617 » by crkone » Fri Jan 9, 2015 1:56 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:
crkone wrote:http://www.beercellar.me/cellar/crkone

My current cellar

Very nice list. Unfortunately, I don't have the patience for cellaring but I have had quite a few of the beers on your list. Arabian Date Night was absolutely delicious. Vanilla dominates in that beer and it is a big boozy desert treat.

By far my favorite out of that list though, and one of my favorites ever, is the Kosmyk Charlie's Y2K Catastrophe Ale. I know there are other beers that are more highly rated but that beer has been a personal favorite for a long time.

Edit: Also, you seem to have way too many bottles of Twelve-Dog. Let me help you out with that. :D

Yeah I don't need to do a vertical of '12, '13, and '14 Twelve-Dog. I'll give you the '13. I do probably need to drink all the hoppy beers I've got cellaring as they probably taste less hoppy now.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,002

Post#1618 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Feb 2, 2015 10:42 pm

Madison folks: A friend of is visiting the town in a few weeks and she's wondering where she should be eating and drinking. Best places to get grub and drink beer?
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,479

Post#1619 » by neiLz » Tue Feb 3, 2015 3:07 pm

Another Madison Question. We are staying at the Edgewater downtown in a few weeks. Looking for a bar to watch the badger game that has good food and some good beer near my hotel. Any suggestions?
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#1620 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Feb 3, 2015 3:22 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Madison folks: A friend of is visiting the town in a few weeks and she's wondering where she should be eating and drinking. Best places to get grub and drink beer?

Lots of good places, but high on my list when I go to Madison is Essen Haus.

http://essen-haus.com/

Das Boot.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks