ImageImage

OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discussion

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Re: OT: Restaurant/Food/Beer Discussion 

Post#401 » by crkone » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:01 pm

KidA24 wrote:You could get an almost perfect 32 brewery list from the Regional and Microbrewery list on wikipedia....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_breweries_in_Wisconsin

Now, picking the 1 beer from each brewery is another issue entirely...

I'd say a combination of top rated/most reviewed according to rate beer and Beer advocate. Would probably be best to break it up according to style and then compare the winners of each category to get a best in show. :grin:

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
crkone
RealGM

Post#402 » by crkone » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:03 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:
FireStreetlifeNow wrote:
crkone wrote:http://draftmag.com/beerbracket/roundone/?ref=3081

Beer Bracket from DRAFT mag.

I wonder how they put that bracket together. Considering Draft is a National magazine, you'd think they'd put a few more beers on there that many people have had and perhaps seed it a little better as I picked against the top four seeds. Go Ten Fidy!

I thought some of those seeds were just ridiculous. KBS is a 20? BCBS is a 56? Dead Guy is a 6? That's some awful bracketing.

Yeah first thing that came to mind. KBS at 20 is ridunkulous.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,060

Post#403 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:15 pm

Its crazy how many different beers are out there.

I'm guessing whatever gets the most votes moves on. Kinda cool.

Yeah a Wisconsin one would be kind of cool.

On a different note, I really like "Third Shift" that is out now. I know the "beer snobs", which I am not yet lol, probably won't like it b/c in the end its in the umbrella of Miller-Coors. But I polished off a 12 pack last Friday and thought it was good. I didn't think it was a beer you could do all night, but I did and felt great.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#404 » by Ill-yasova » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:37 pm

Ok well I've made a 64 Wisconsin Beer only bracket. I want to point out that the seedings are based on a mixture of how good the beer is and it's popularity in the state. For instance: a remarkable Imperial IPA that only 20 people have tried will be rated lower that a very good beer with better sales and distribution. These rankings are not perfect and And the seedings should be taken lightly.

Only distribution Breweries were included because Brewpubs have a high beer turnover and not everybody gets the chance to visit each location. I'm gonna post the link as soon as the bracket is released, roughly 7ish.

Happy Beer Bracketing. And may the odds be ever in your favor.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#405 » by Ill-yasova » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:57 pm

N8Frog wrote:Its crazy how many different beers are out there.

On a different note, I really like "Third Shift" that is out now. I know the "beer snobs", which I am not yet lol, probably won't like it b/c in the end its in the umbrella of Miller-Coors. But I polished off a 12 pack last Friday and thought it was good. I didn't think it was a beer you could do all night, but I did and felt great.

I've heard it was pretty decent. For me it will come down to how much it costs. If it's the same price as a craft beer of equal quality, I'll take the craft beer. If it's a little cheaper, I'll take a run at it.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#406 » by Ill-yasova » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:03 am

Here is the Bracket of Wisconsin Beers
http://public.bracketeers.com/matchup.php?id=1866
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#407 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:06 am

Nice. Appreciate the effort and I'm gonna have to start over in this thread to see what beers people love. Not voting in that thing though. Only tried two on the list.
crkone
RealGM

Post#408 » by crkone » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:28 am

Awesome job! Why you make me choose between Staghorn and Fatty Boomballaty ????? :-D

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#409 » by Ill-yasova » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:02 am

crkone wrote:Awesome job! Why you make me choose between Staghorn and Fatty Boomballaty ????? :-D

That one was incredibly hard for me too. Staghorn edged it out for me but just barely.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#410 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:29 am

Ill-yasova wrote:
N8Frog wrote:Its crazy how many different beers are out there.

I've heard it was pretty decent. For me it will come down to how much it costs. If it's the same price as a craft beer of equal quality, I'll take the craft beer. If it's a little cheaper, I'll take a run at it.

I paid $11.49 for a 12 pack last Friday at Festival.
ReddWing
Banned User
And1: 808

Post#411 » by ReddWing » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:44 am

N8Frog wrote:For those interested in Wisconsin breweries I highly recommend "Wisconsin's Best Beer Guide" by Kevin Revolinski (sp?). I'm into brewing beer, breweries, etc and my wife got that for me recently and it literally is a list of every brewery, brewpub in Wisconsin. And majority offer some perk if you get the book signed, like a free pint or buy 1, get 1. Its pretty cool and the 2nd edition just came out so its pretty updated.

This. Great book, highly recommend.
FireStreetlifeNow
Pro Prospect
And1: 116
Location: At a brewpub somewhere in SE Wisconsin or SW Michigan

Post#412 » by FireStreetlifeNow » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:30 pm

N8Frog wrote:For those interested in Wisconsin breweries I highly recommend "Wisconsin's Best Beer Guide" by Kevin Revolinski (sp?). I'm into brewing beer, breweries, etc and my wife got that for me recently and it literally is a list of every brewery, brewpub in Wisconsin. And majority offer some perk if you get the book signed, like a free pint or buy 1, get 1. Its pretty cool and the 2nd edition just came out so its pretty updated.

I ran into him at Public Craft House in Kenohsa and bought a signed copy. I've already used it to get a free pint, pint glass and a BOGO offer. My goal is to try an hit every brewpub in the state by the end of next summer, I've already been to most of them but new ones keep opening up (everywhere but Milwaukee!). The book has a few brewpubs/breweries that haven't opened yet like Oliphant and Wisconsin Brewery.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,387

Post#413 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:15 pm

Finally did the Lakefront Brewery tour, it was a good time. The owner gave this tour and he's pretty funny. Cool that half way through the tour you refill your beer at the chalet that used to be in County Stadium (they also have the giant beer mug from there as well).

Was also recently at the Foundation Bar in Riverwest. Not much to look at on the outside but had a good time inside. It's a "tiki bar" (although I'd say half in there drank beer). It was something different. And also recently at Bryants. I know this place gets rave reviews and it some senses it's cool but I think overrated. They don't have a drink menu, instead you tell the waitress the kind of drinks you like and she has the bartender make something. The drinks were pretty good, the atmosphere is dark and "retro" and while it's a decent place I don't get the accolades I so often hear about it.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#414 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:41 pm

The Lakefront tour is very good. We've done it twice in the past 3 years and think its voted as one of the best tours in the midwest. Usually is very comical but informative as well. Highly recommended.

We opted for the Milwaukee Brewing Company tour a few weeks back in Walkers Point. We never really got on a tour, but drank for about 2-3 hours with only paying our $10 "tour" price. You get 2 tokens for anything above 8% ABV, otherwise they fill half your pint glass unlimited of everything else. We honestly got there at 6PM and drank to probably 830-900PM with only dropping a few bucks on tips. Great if you're looking to drink.

I was pretty loaded so I didn't take my book to get signed there at all.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#415 » by Ill-yasova » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:Here is the Bracket of Wisconsin Beers

Round 2 begins at 7 tonight.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#416 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:51 pm

I had the opportunity to go to Villa Dolce in Middleton over winter break, and their Mediterranean pizza was as good as any pizza I've had in my 6 years in NYC. They must use distilled water in the crust or something. What supposedly makes NYC pizza so good (besides the toppings and the competition of a pizzeria on every block, of course) is the crust, which owes its perfection to the quality of the Catskill Mountains watershed, which is some of the best in the world. But Villa Dolce holds its own.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#417 » by Ill-yasova » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:25 am

Blah, blah, blah, bracket I spent three hours on. Blah, blah, blah, vote or something (he said to no one in particular).
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#418 » by jimmybones » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:45 pm

ILLy, your avatar and sig are both fantastic.
FireStreetlifeNow
Pro Prospect
And1: 116
Location: At a brewpub somewhere in SE Wisconsin or SW Michigan

Post#419 » by FireStreetlifeNow » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:17 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:

Blah, blah, blah, bracket I spent three hours on. Blah, blah, blah, vote or something (he said to no one in particular).

Cinderella Pearl Street into the elite 8. Seven different breweries left, nice to see.
jtrinaldi
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#420 » by jtrinaldi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:56 pm

Had some killer Shrimp at Bubba Gumps in Chicago, really wish we had one of them in Milwaukee

Return to Milwaukee Bucks