Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

FireStreetlifeNow
Pro Prospect
And1: 113
Location: At a brewpub somewhere in SE Wisconsin or SW Michigan

Re: OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discuss 

Post#1441 » by FireStreetlifeNow » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:38 pm

WEFFPIM wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:As much as I love good beer and hate swill like Bud and Miller the amount of choices are becoming so overwhelming. I'll find a beer I really like and would love to stick with it but there are a thousand other beers I haven't tried yet so I'm always on the hunt for something new/better. And when I run across a bad tasting one I'm pissed I didn't just order something I knew I liked. Just like with women.

Enjoy it. Been in NC two months and am having craft brew withdrawals. Barely anything here.

Asheville is suppose to be a great craft beer town and they have more breweries/brewpubs than we have in Milwaukee. I haven't had much from North Carolina but have liked the stuff I've had from Duck-Rabbit, Highland and French Broad.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,057

Post#1442 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Blonde Bomber by Veterans Beer Co is a beer I could pound all night. Reminded me of 312 slightly. Nothing fancy about it though, my opinion on it depends on the price point. I like it but isn't special enough to be priced too high.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#1443 » by Ill-yasova » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:07 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:Anybody try the new Guinness Blonde yet? I may give it a try On Friday.

I received a sixer of the Newcastle Blonde as a gift and it isn't too bad actually. It's a little overly sweet but sometimes I reach for it over other beers when I'm looking for something lighter and simple.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,913

Post#1444 » by stellation » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:43 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:As much as I love good beer and hate swill like Bud and Miller the amount of choices are becoming so overwhelming. I'll find a beer I really like and would love to stick with it but there are a thousand other beers I haven't tried yet so I'm always on the hunt for something new/better. And when I run across a bad tasting one I'm pissed I didn't just order something I knew I liked. Just like with women.

This is one of the best things about untappd, I've found. I've definitely narrowed down choices because I've recognised beers that cats from our forum have posted on there and given a thumbs up to. I definitely am promiscuous in looking for beers and don't limit my selection to untappd recommendations at all bug sometimes it's very handy to make a selection.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#1445 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:07 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:Anybody try the new Guinness Blonde yet? I may give it a try On Friday.

I received a sixer of the Newcastle Blonde as a gift and it isn't too bad actually. It's a little overly sweet but sometimes I reach for it over other beers when I'm looking for something lighter and simple.

I like a good blonde/cream ale. I know its not the trendy beer of choice for beer snobs but when it comes to heavy, hoppy, etc beer I generally am good with a couple and then want to switch to something easier and that is where a good blonde enters the fold.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#1446 » by Ill-yasova » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:09 am

Thunder Muscle wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:

I like a good blonde/cream ale. I know its not the trendy beer of choice for beer snobs but when it comes to heavy, hoppy, etc beer I generally am good with a couple and then want to switch to something easier and that is where a good blonde enters the fold.

When I go for the lighter beers I generally go for a Czech pilsner. S.A. Noble Pils, Pilsner Urquell, Mama's Little Yella Pils, and any pilsner from New Glarus are usually on my list of go to's. I don't have anything against blondes, but I just think a good pilsner is beer in its most crisp and simple form.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#1447 » by Ill-yasova » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:16 am

stellation wrote:

This is one of the best things about untappd, I've found. I've definitely narrowed down choices because I've recognised beers that cats from our forum have posted on there and given a thumbs up to. I definitely am promiscuous in looking for beers and don't limit my selection to untappd recommendations at all bug sometimes it's very handy to make a selection.

Unnecessary confession time. I have Untappd but I don't use it as often as I should. The main reason is that I don't forget beers that I have tried or what I thought of them......ever. I can go right down the case at Woodmans and tell you every beer I've tried and what I thought of it. It freaks my friends out because they realized after some questioning that I also don't forget beers that they have drank in the past and what they thought of them. The moral of this is that if you don't have time for Untappd, just tell me what you thought of a beer and I'll remind you in a few years if you have any questions.

This talent does not extend to names, faces, birthdays, or anniversaries. :-?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,191

Post#1448 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:41 pm

Just had a Guinness Blonde. Pretty good. I'll have to have a couple more until I can fully judge.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,307

Post#1449 » by Mags FTW » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:56 am

Had the pork chops at Zarletti this week. Awesome. They also have a Pumpkin Old Fashioned which is good and strong.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#1450 » by crkone » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:22 pm

Dave's Brew Farm is for sale.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#1451 » by Thunder Muscle » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:27 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Just had a Guinness Blonde. Pretty good. I'll have to have a couple more until I can fully judge.

Agreed. I had a couple this weekend and a nice easy drinking brew. I thought it had a little more body or character than some blonde beers. I'd definitely get again.

Also tried Stillmank's Super Kind (American Pale Ale) this weekend, pretty good.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#1452 » by Ill-yasova » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:22 pm

crkone wrote:Dave's Brew Farm is for sale.

That place could have been huge if they had ever wanted to bottle more of their beer. I never went to the brewery but some of the beers they had on tap sounded amazing. I wonder if they just got bored with it and didn't want to brew anymore.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#1453 » by Ill-yasova » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:24 pm

I had a New Glarus Yokel this weekend and it was pretty damn good. Sometimes a simple beer done well can be really delicious.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,191

Post#1454 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:47 pm

Indeed. Sometimes the brewers get too "fancy", trying to always come up with something new or different.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
FireStreetlifeNow
Pro Prospect
And1: 113
Location: At a brewpub somewhere in SE Wisconsin or SW Michigan

Post#1455 » by FireStreetlifeNow » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:20 am

Ill-yasova wrote:

That place could have been huge if they had ever wanted to bottle more of their beer. I never went to the brewery but some of the beers they had on tap sounded amazing. I wonder if they just got bored with it and didn't want to brew anymore.

I've liked almost everything I had from them but only visited once as it's in Wilson, which is in the middle of nowhere. Ok so wants to chip in and buy it?
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#1456 » by Ill-yasova » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:24 am

FireStreetlifeNow wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:

I've liked almost everything I had from them but only visited once as it's in Wilson, which is in the middle of nowhere. Ok so wants to chip in and buy it?

Let's call up Lasry and Edens.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#1457 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:19 am

Ill-yasova wrote:

Sounds like they are just moving on.

Hello BFFs!

News from the BrewFarmers:
First, thank you for being our greatest supporters and an amazing part of our lives for the past five years.

We will be moving onto the next leg of our journey and putting the BrewFarm up for sale. And before any rumors/assumptions start flying, this sale is not one of financial necessity, marital discord or physical health issues.

We are excited and at the same time we have heavy hearts. It's truly been an honor to brew beer for you. When we started this great adventure we never anticipated the deep and lasting friendships that would be made. Our lives have been forever changed.

We're looking for a new caretaker for the BrewFarm to carry on what we've built. Not sure if it will sell as a turnkey venture for the next brewer extraordinaire, or to another entrepreneur who will do great things with the facility and property, or perhaps someone who will grow it as a farm business. Possibilities are endless!

In any case, we're extremely proud of building such a successful business and look forward to the next chapter. In the future, David will still be brewing in some capacity and will also write and consult. Pam will settle into a college teaching position and will continue to maintain gardens and tend to her chickens. We're not sure where we will land, but we're optimistic about the future and all it has to offer.

AND until a sale transacts, it'll be business as usual for us here at the BrewFarm - cranking out tasty innovative beers, holding open Taproom weekends a couple times a month and spreading better beer throughout WI.

From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you for the energy, time and friendship you've given us.

The listing: http://discussions.probrewer.com/showth ... I-For-Sale

With gratitude,

Pam and David, the BrewFarmers
Per: http://davesbrewfarm.blogspot.com/
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#1458 » by Ill-yasova » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:58 am

Yeah, but at least they will keep brewing in some capacity. I enjoyed Matacabras and I've heard a lot of good things about his tap beers.
skitch815
Starter
And1: 59

Post#1459 » by skitch815 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:45 am

Has anyone tried Wings Over Milwaukee on Brady? I know there's one in Madison too.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#1460 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:43 pm

I could go for a good batch of wings, boneless or bone-in doesn't matter. I haven't really been to anything like BW-3, Wing Zone, etc in awhile. I feel like every time I go to BW-3 their prices are higher. I really do like their boneless, but damn its almost a $1/wing I feel.

I think its a chain, but Wausau (technically Weston) had this Buffalo Wings & Rings and man they had the best blue cheese dressing ever. Its not in Wausau anymore but went there once and really enjoyed it. I'm not even a blue cheese guy generally, but damn that was good stuff.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks