ImageImage

OT - Cutting the Cord

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#301 » by BuckHole » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:51 pm

I recommend the Streamza channel for the Roku.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#302 » by Nebula1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:50 pm

I feel like the mobile platforms are being overrun by advertising and it's at this point I'm working for life I can eliminate using a mobile phone and tablet. Maybe it's me but Google has gotten greedy as have countless other tech firms.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,653

Post#303 » by TroyD92 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:16 am

Is the Amazon Prime streaming service worth it? Almost seems to good to be true.

I'll probably just cut paying for Satellite all together. I can go to the bar If i really need to watch a game.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#304 » by BuckHole » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:23 pm

TroyD92 wrote:Is the Amazon Prime streaming service worth it? Almost seems to good to be true.

I'll probably just cut paying for Satellite all together. I can go to the bar If i really need to watch a game.

...or watch Bucks online, or pay for league pass (if you're not a Southern WI resident; blackouts). Netflix is my go-to channel for content. Amazon is good, but doesn't equal Netflix. The free shipping on selected items could be key, but it's not a deal breaker for me; I don't think or remember to buy my dog food or laundry detergent on-line. You can get a trial of Amazon Prime or Netflix or Hulu Plus to decide if you like -- Or just get a subscription and cancel if you're not happy with it.

Supplementing with antennae for local channels helps keep you connected with some live events.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#305 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:48 pm

TroyD92 wrote:Is the Amazon Prime streaming service worth it? Almost seems to good to be true.

I've been without cable for two months now. I have Amazon Prime, Netflix and borrow my buddy's HBOGO log in (he uses my Amazon Prime stream). I also have a Roku on both of my TVs (lots of good free content) and a HD antenna on each. I can't see myself ever going back to cable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,653

Post#306 » by TroyD92 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:37 pm

Well at this point I pretty much have DTV for Game of Thrones, and Breaking Bad when it was on. I stream everything I watch through Hulu/Netflix and the Prime service seems to have the stuff that i'm missing. Going to have to find an HBO alternative though.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#307 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Apr 2, 2014 4:17 pm

Amazon is coming out with a Roku/Video Game hybrid. Kind of interesting.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/02/ ... ium=social
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#308 » by crkone » Wed Apr 2, 2014 4:32 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Amazon is coming out with a Roku/Video Game hybrid. Kind of interesting.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/02/ ... ium=social

Looks interesting. I just bought an Ouya for $70 with $25 in free games. I've already installed and used XBMC (Gotham can play DTS!) and a few of the android humble bundle games I've gotten over the past year. CM11 is out now for it, but I'm cool with using a pimped up stock version of Ouya right now.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#309 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Apr 2, 2014 5:04 pm

I think the Roku seems like a great device but I don't feel like I'm anywhere near getting rid of DirecTV for it. I'd use my Roku more if I didn't have to move it from TV to TV, and I'm not buying another Roku when I have (3) DirecTV boxes. Our DTV bill is down to $80/month after calling which included 3 HD boxes including Genie, Whole House DVR, solid channel selection, etc. Its not killing us. Roku is a nice addition. I would've never gotten if not for WWE Network.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#310 » by Nebula1 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 7:23 pm

Great book.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nSF3FcKwSI[/youtube]
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#311 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Apr 4, 2014 8:22 pm

I'm about to finish Kaku's Physics of the Future. Been a fan ever since I had to read his Visions book in college.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#312 » by Nebula1 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 12:04 am

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:I'm about to finish Kaku's Physics of the Future. Been a fan ever since I had to read his Visions book in college.

What career are you pursuing?

You should check out The Second Machine Age, if you haven't already.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Second-Machin ... 1480577472
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#313 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Sat Apr 5, 2014 12:09 am

Nebula1 wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:I'm about to finish Kaku's Physics of the Future. Been a fan ever since I had to read his Visions book in college.

What career are you pursuing?

You should check out The Second Machine Age, if you haven't already.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Second-Machin ... 1480577472

Haha, I'm just an attorney working in business. I took a science and technology writing class to satisfy a rhetoric/writing requirement. I've always been interested in the sort of stuff Kaku writes about though. One of the many reasons I love the new Cosmos series. I'm always up for good non-fiction book recs, so I'll add that one to my list.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#314 » by Nebula1 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 12:15 am

The estate/trust attorneys I know are doing very well. Good choice.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0BnE1AtCTE[/youtube]
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#315 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Watching the MLB TV free game through the Roku 3 ---- I'd lose my mind if I paid for it and picture pixelates/skips as much as did, at least to start.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#316 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:52 pm

What kind of internet do you have? I watch live sports on ESPN using my Roku3 all the time and never have issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using RealGM Forums mobile app
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,173

Post#317 » by raysbookclub » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:16 am

Sorry if this question is one from like 10 years ago, but do you need to have a cable subscription to watch ESPN on devices like Apple TV or Roku? I remember a friend a few years ago had an Xbox and watched ESPN through it, without a cable subscription, but I never bothered to understand how he did it. I have an Apple TV now, but you need to register through a cable provider in order to watch the live programming on the ESPN app. Am I missing something? Thanks.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#318 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:18 am

books wrote:Sorry if this question is one from like 10 years ago, but do you need to have a cable subscription to watch ESPN on devices like Apple TV or Roku? I remember a friend a few years ago had an Xbox and watched ESPN through it, without a cable subscription, but I never bothered to understand how he did it. I have an Apple TV now, but you need to register through a cable provider in order to watch the live programming on the ESPN app. Am I missing something? Thanks.

I have a Roku and I canceled cable 2/1 of this year. Have been watching ESPN on it ever since. Pretty sure your internet provider just has to have an agreement with ESPN. I have Charter.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,173

Post#319 » by raysbookclub » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:23 am

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
books wrote:Sorry if this question is one from like 10 years ago, but do you need to have a cable subscription to watch ESPN on devices like Apple TV or Roku? I remember a friend a few years ago had an Xbox and watched ESPN through it, without a cable subscription, but I never bothered to understand how he did it. I have an Apple TV now, but you need to register through a cable provider in order to watch the live programming on the ESPN app. Am I missing something? Thanks.

I have a Roku and I canceled cable 2/1 of this year. Have been watching ESPN on it ever since. Pretty sure your internet provider just has to have an agreement with ESPN. I have Charter.

Thanks! So the app is asking for an internet provider, not a cable provider? I assumed it was the latter; I'll try the former.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#320 » by xTitan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:25 am

Thunder Muscle wrote:I think the Roku seems like a great device but I don't feel like I'm anywhere near getting rid of DirecTV for it. I'd use my Roku more if I didn't have to move it from TV to TV, and I'm not buying another Roku when I have (3) DirecTV boxes. Our DTV bill is down to $80/month after calling which included 3 HD boxes including Genie, Whole House DVR, solid channel selection, etc. Its not killing us. Roku is a nice addition. I would've never gotten if not for WWE Network.

How the hell did you get your Directv bill that low...I am over $100.....I need to know

Return to Milwaukee Bucks