OT - Cutting the Cord

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,019

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#101 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:22 am

crkone wrote:I have a wrt300n router which has a Vpn setting on it already. It's easy to setup this router at least.

I'm a novice to this too. How do you like it? What's the setup like with a VPN service already paid for?
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#102 » by crkone » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:25 am

You can probably find an openvpn setup for whatever vpn company you go with. Openvpn is a separate app that can route all traffic through a tunnel it creates to that remote server.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#103 » by ackypoo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:26 am

i know just enough to think i could mess with this stuff and figure it out. which really just makes me a danger to myself and others.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant

Post#104 » by ackypoo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:28 am

also, how much do vpns slowdown your speeds?

and holy crap, thanks for all the help. this is great info.
crkone
RealGM

Post#105 » by crkone » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:33 am

I haven't used a proxy for my router as it allows the different vpn protocols to pass through. I can install dd-wrt but haven't needed to. I run openvpn app skinned by torguard or ill proxy whatever program I need. Torguard provides a script to use openvpn with a dd-wrt router.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
crkone
RealGM

Post#106 » by crkone » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:37 am

I haven't had any slowdowns (besides when using netflix and downloading) and about a handful of dropped connections in the past month which I think are on my end. I usually run the openvpn app and proxy at the same time to double my protection just in case.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#107 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:11 am

DrugBust wrote:You can get Bucks through League Pass in a couple ways.

1 - You can use a VPN to change your IP to an out of market location, then watch on your computer.

2 - You can buy a VPN router, change the config so the VPN changes the IPs of every device using the router and watch League Pass on your Xbox 360, Roku. Apple TV, etc.

or you could use a streaming site and watch games at a **** quality for free. This is the route I recommend because...

3 - League Pass online absolutely blows. The quality is ****, the delays are inevitable. If it was a quality product, the NBA couldn't take my money fast enough. But the product is terrible and the customer service is basically non-existent.

I really, really hate to recommend this, but I'd use a free streaming site and watch on your computer or mobile device. If it has to be on the TV, use mirroring. The quality is going to be ****, but it's free and the NBA product is terrible.

thanks for the help, I guess i'm a little late to the party as far as TV internet. How would I best go about getting the internet to the TV(I know probably a dumb question).

I found this at a local best buy http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-acc ... 9ABGNX/XAA.

Would this give me the ability to say go on fxnetworks.com and watch last nights episode straight from the website and would I be able to play whats on my laptop(like a bucks game) on the TV
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant

Post#108 » by ackypoo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:16 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:
DrugBust wrote:You can get Bucks through League Pass in a couple ways.

1 - You can use a VPN to change your IP to an out of market location, then watch on your computer.

2 - You can buy a VPN router, change the config so the VPN changes the IPs of every device using the router and watch League Pass on your Xbox 360, Roku. Apple TV, etc.

or you could use a streaming site and watch games at a **** quality for free. This is the route I recommend because...

3 - League Pass online absolutely blows. The quality is ****, the delays are inevitable. If it was a quality product, the NBA couldn't take my money fast enough. But the product is terrible and the customer service is basically non-existent.

I really, really hate to recommend this, but I'd use a free streaming site and watch on your computer or mobile device. If it has to be on the TV, use mirroring. The quality is going to be ****, but it's free and the NBA product is terrible.

thanks for the help, I guess i'm a little late to the party as far as TV internet. How would I best go about getting the internet to the TV(I know probably a dumb question).

I found this at a local best buy http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-acc ... 9ABGNX/XAA.

Would this give me the ability to say go on fxnetworks.com and watch last nights episode straight from the website and would I be able to play whats on my laptop(like a bucks game) on the TV

i have dual monitors. one to my comp and one to my 50" but most newer computers have hdmi outs on them so you can just run an hdmi cable. these are much cheaper options.
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#109 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:22 am

I only have one computer, so while that might work out, I do enjoy surfing on the net while the game is on. I think i'll just buy the rodku box and the samsung product. Thank god for the ability to return items!

Any suggestions for legal ways to watch ESPN/NFL network?
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

crkone
RealGM

Post#110 » by crkone » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:51 pm

I posted this verbatim in a thread on the media board but here it goes: I'm looking for a 7" tablet. Anyone have any suggestions? It's pretty much between a Nexus 7 and a Tab 2. I'm comparing external storage to Nexus' updates basically. Nexus 7 wins out on certain specs and loses on certain specs.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,285

Post#111 » by Finn » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:15 pm

If you're interested in the Nexus 7 (as I am), you may want to wait a few months for Google I/O 2013. There's a fair amount of rumors of the next generation N7 being announced.
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#112 » by WiscoKing13 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:38 pm

So the samsung LAN is not compatible with my TV(assume). Ruku also has zero benefit, hulu plus has nothing I watch and netflix is well netflix(last years shows).

If i'm cutting the cord am I basically stuck with buying something like like the chrome book and hooking up to the TV through an HDMI cord?
DanoMac wrote:

WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#113 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:02 am

So I just hooked up my other laptop to an hdmi cord and everything is working out! I did buy a chrome book to have another laptop in the house while the other is in use for streaming. Does anyone know of a better laptop/tablet for under 400 dollars then the samsung chromebook?
DanoMac wrote:

ackypoo
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by ackypoo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:00 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:So I just hooked up my other laptop to an hdmi cord and everything is working out! I did buy a chrome book to have another laptop in the house while the other is in use for streaming. Does anyone know of a better laptop/tablet for under 400 dollars then the samsung chromebook?

check newegg, im sure you can find something. i paid $270 for my last laptop and it was in a pinch from bestbuy.
gbmb34
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#115 » by gbmb34 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:45 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:So I just hooked up my other laptop to an hdmi cord and everything is working out! I did buy a chrome book to have another laptop in the house while the other is in use for streaming. Does anyone know of a better laptop/tablet for under 400 dollars then the samsung chromebook?

I'm really interested in potentially buying a chrome book. If it isn't too much trouble, do you mind reporting your findings in in two or three weeks?

Thanks in advance.
packerbreakdown.wordpress.com
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,291

Post#116 » by KidA24 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:16 pm

crkone wrote:I posted this verbatim in a thread on the media board but here it goes: I'm looking for a 7" tablet. Anyone have any suggestions? It's pretty much between a Nexus 7 and a Tab 2. I'm comparing external storage to Nexus' updates basically. Nexus 7 wins out on certain specs and loses on certain specs.

I love my nexus 7. I also rooted it right away and threw on ParanoidAndroid. It's really the perfect size (I can hold it in one hand easily) and a sweet little tablet
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
bullox
Banned User
And1: 522

Post#117 » by bullox » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:00 pm

KidA24 wrote:
crkone wrote:I posted this verbatim in a thread on the media board but here it goes: I'm looking for a 7" tablet. Anyone have any suggestions? It's pretty much between a Nexus 7 and a Tab 2. I'm comparing external storage to Nexus' updates basically. Nexus 7 wins out on certain specs and loses on certain specs.

I love my nexus 7. I also rooted it right away and threw on ParanoidAndroid. It's really the perfect size (I can hold it in one hand easily) and a sweet little tablet

I've got a 7" Galaxy Tab 2. One bonus that it has over the Nexus 7 is the IR-blaster which allows you to control your entire home theater. There is a nice app called Peel that comes with the tablet that acts as a TV Guide and controls everything. You can even take this thing to the bar* and control the tvs there. *At your own risk

Another thing is the mini-sd slot. The Nexus 7 does not come with external storage. The downside of the external storage on the Galaxy Tab 2 is that you can't install programs to the external card unless you root the device. You can still transfer media like movies, music, books etc to the card and have them there for when you aren't connected to the cloud.
crkone
RealGM

Post#118 » by crkone » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:33 pm

I'm waiting to see how the note 8 looks as it should be out soon enough. Google is thought to be releasing a new tablet this summer, but I don't think I want to wait that long.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#119 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:12 pm

gbmb34 wrote:

I'm really interested in potentially buying a chrome book. If it isn't too much trouble, do you mind reporting your findings in in two or three weeks?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't tried to do much with it but a few things

Advantages
LIght weight
Awsome battery life
Display is solid and is of good size

Disadvantages
to me it seems a little slow on the internet
I initially got it to stream to my TV and found my other laptop(year older but has more bells and whistles) is much better at streaming.

If you want something that can run just the internet, its great. If want to listen to music or stream i'd suggest upgrading.
DanoMac wrote:

Finn
Starter
And1: 2,285

Post#120 » by Finn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:48 am

Return to Milwaukee Bucks