Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#321 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:32 am

books wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
books wrote:Sorry if this question is one from like 10 years ago, but do you need to have a cable subscription to watch ESPN on devices like Apple TV or Roku? I remember a friend a few years ago had an Xbox and watched ESPN through it, without a cable subscription, but I never bothered to understand how he did it. I have an Apple TV now, but you need to register through a cable provider in order to watch the live programming on the ESPN app. Am I missing something? Thanks.

I have a Roku and I canceled cable 2/1 of this year. Have been watching ESPN on it ever since. Pretty sure your internet provider just has to have an agreement with ESPN. I have Charter.

Thanks! So the app is asking for an internet provider, not a cable provider? I assumed it was the latter; I'll try the former.

I believe so. Otherwise Charter just hasn't flipped a switch or something since I canceled my cable. But I'm pretty sure if you were to try ESPN3 on your laptop you'd just need to have an ESPN approved internet provider, I think that is how it worked back when I was in school and I'd watch ESPN in class :D . So the Roku should be the same way and that's what I've experienced thus far.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,159

Post#322 » by raysbookclub » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:34 am

books wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
books wrote:Sorry if this question is one from like 10 years ago, but do you need to have a cable subscription to watch ESPN on devices like Apple TV or Roku? I remember a friend a few years ago had an Xbox and watched ESPN through it, without a cable subscription, but I never bothered to understand how he did it. I have an Apple TV now, but you need to register through a cable provider in order to watch the live programming on the ESPN app. Am I missing something? Thanks.

I have a Roku and I canceled cable 2/1 of this year. Have been watching ESPN on it ever since. Pretty sure your internet provider just has to have an agreement with ESPN. I have Charter.

Thanks! So the app is asking for an internet provider, not a cable provider? I assumed it was the latter; I'll try the former.

Aw, I was excited for a minute there, but after using my internet provider, it says "Unable to play video. This network is not included in your current tv subscription." Oh well.

I don't understand what the point of the Watch ESPN app for Comcast (my internet and would-be cable provider) is--if I get ESPN because I have cable, why would I watch it on Apple TV instead of the cable channel?
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#323 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:36 am

Hmmmm that sucks. Wonder how I'm getting it then. Maybe Charter gives you ESPN3 stuff with an internet subscription. I know some internet/cable providers and HBO have started an experimental package where you only get internet and HBOGO. Which is pretty awesome.

After a quick google search, it looks like it is Comcast: http://hbowatch.com/cord-cutters-rejoic ... des-hbogo/
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,159

Post#324 » by raysbookclub » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:45 am

Yeah, it seems like Charter does give ESPN3. And I guess I'm not the only asking about the point of the app if you need cable service to use it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/51 ... 5&tstart=0
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#325 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:53 am

Only advantage I can see is ESPN3 is much, much, much higher quality on the Roku (and presumably AppleTV) than it is on your laptop. So when your favorite college sports team has a random game on ESPN3, having a Roku (or AppleTV) is the best way to watch game.
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#326 » by BuckHole » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:36 pm

Plex's unsupported app store is neat.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#327 » by Thunder Muscle » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:41 pm

xTitan wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:I think the Roku seems like a great device but I don't feel like I'm anywhere near getting rid of DirecTV for it. I'd use my Roku more if I didn't have to move it from TV to TV, and I'm not buying another Roku when I have (3) DirecTV boxes. Our DTV bill is down to $80/month after calling which included 3 HD boxes including Genie, Whole House DVR, solid channel selection, etc. Its not killing us. Roku is a nice addition. I would've never gotten if not for WWE Network.

How the hell did you get your Directv bill that low...I am over $100.....I need to know

Called last fall to ask about my contract (even though knew it was close to the 2 years) and they asked why I was asking. I just said there are good deals thus looking at all options. They said, what do you want, less money on bill? I laughed and said yeah, that would be nice. So they ended up knocking off $20-$30 worth of charges off, gave us new equipment for no cost, Showtime for 3 months, Starz/Encore for 6 months, some other channels for 6 months, and think they were going to toss in NFL Sunday Ticket but I already had it. Not counting Sunday Ticket I was around $110/month but as of last month I was at $80. I have the Choice Xtra plan, or whatever the 2nd best option is. And they said if I call back 1 year later, they'll do same thing.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#328 » by xTitan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:18 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:
xTitan wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:I think the Roku seems like a great device but I don't feel like I'm anywhere near getting rid of DirecTV for it. I'd use my Roku more if I didn't have to move it from TV to TV, and I'm not buying another Roku when I have (3) DirecTV boxes. Our DTV bill is down to $80/month after calling which included 3 HD boxes including Genie, Whole House DVR, solid channel selection, etc. Its not killing us. Roku is a nice addition. I would've never gotten if not for WWE Network.

How the hell did you get your Directv bill that low...I am over $100.....I need to know

Called last fall to ask about my contract (even though knew it was close to the 2 years) and they asked why I was asking. I just said there are good deals thus looking at all options. They said, what do you want, less money on bill? I laughed and said yeah, that would be nice. So they ended up knocking off $20-$30 worth of charges off, gave us new equipment for no cost, Showtime for 3 months, Starz/Encore for 6 months, some other channels for 6 months, and think they were going to toss in NFL Sunday Ticket but I already had it. Not counting Sunday Ticket I was around $110/month but as of last month I was at $80. I have the Choice Xtra plan, or whatever the 2nd best option is. And they said if I call back 1 year later, they'll do same thing.

Awesome, will do the same when I get back in town....thanks
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#329 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri May 2, 2014 5:55 pm

Some how Madison and Milwaukee are among only 8 cities getting special Google Glass events tomorrow.

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/swa ... day-n95586
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#330 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:37 pm

As I explore non cable options for the fall, let's bump this thread.

My friend has got an Amazon Fire box and we're trying to figure out NBA package on there.

I read the NBA app terms and says you can access league pass, but blackouts apply.

Anyone know if subscribers in Milwaukee will be able to watch Bucks games?

All other suggestions for watching Bucks games legally and without cable are welcome.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#331 » by Nowak008 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:52 pm

I called Verizon yesterday and asked what my early termination fee is. They asked me why I wanted to know. Told them about T-Mobile 4 lines for $100 plan and they pay ETFs...Verizon ended up giving me $40 off my bill.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,743

Post#332 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:55 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:As I explore non cable options for the fall, let's bump this thread.

My friend has got an Amazon Fire box and we're trying to figure out NBA package on there.

I read the NBA app terms and says you can access league pass, but blackouts apply.

Anyone know if subscribers in Milwaukee will be able to watch Bucks games?

All other suggestions for watching Bucks games legally and without cable are welcome.

The setup I've used is pretty fantastic.

Unlocator is a service that applies to your router and device. Set it up once, and every deviced on your network that uses League Pass gets it filtered through the service. I've never had a problem. They offer a seven day trial, then it's $5 a month or less if you go bi-annually or annually. It's awesome.

But if you don't need to watch on the big screen and are fine watching on a browser, Hola is a chrome extension that I've been using for a few weeks and it works flawlessly. Just activate the extension and you're now in Great Britain as far as LP is concerned. No more blackouts.

Both services are legal and you still obviously have to pay for League Pass.

But unlike other services in the past, these are dead-simple and thus far have shown to operate flawlessly. I use Unlocator at home when I want to use my Apple TV or gaming system to watch sports. I use Hola when I'm at my girlfriend's place or at work and I want to watch on my laptop.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,348

Post#333 » by ackypoo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:59 pm

will be using the crap out of that hola. thanks for the link.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#334 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:14 pm

I've been cable free since February and haven't regretted it one bit. Wish Big Ten Network had an app on Roku, but I'll be using a friend's BTN2GO log in for football games this fall. Or just go to a bar.
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#335 » by BobbyLight » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:09 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:The setup I've used is pretty fantastic.

Unlocator is a service that applies to your router and device. Set it up once, and every deviced on your network that uses League Pass gets it filtered through the service. I've never had a problem. They offer a seven day trial, then it's $5 a month or less if you go bi-annually or annually. It's awesome.

But if you don't need to watch on the big screen and are fine watching on a browser, Hola is a chrome extension that I've been using for a few weeks and it works flawlessly. Just activate the extension and you're now in Great Britain as far as LP is concerned. No more blackouts.

But unlike other services in the past, these are dead-simple and thus far have shown to operate flawlessly. I use Unlocator at home when I want to use my Apple TV or gaming system to watch sports. I use Hola when I'm at my girlfriend's place or at work and I want to watch on my laptop.

So I've signed up with Private Internet Access which will relocate your IP pretty much so anywhere in the world. Part of the reason I got it is because I plan to drop cable and get LP and I also wear a tin hat so randomizing my IP and never letting anyone know where I go on the internet makes me happy...

All that said, I plan to run LP through my laptop and get LP online. My question would be, as I am in Milwaukee, does it matter what address I us when I sign up/pay? Or does the app/website only block/allow access based on where it thinks you are?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,743

Post#336 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:21 pm

BobbyLight wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:The setup I've used is pretty fantastic.

So I've signed up with Private Internet Access which will relocate your IP pretty much so anywhere in the world. Part of the reason I got it is because I plan to drop cable and get LP and I also wear a tin hat so randomizing my IP and never letting anyone know where I go on the internet makes me happy...

All that said, I plan to run LP through my laptop and get LP online. My question would be, as I am in Milwaukee, does it matter what address I us when I sign up/pay? Or does the app/website only block/allow access based on where it thinks you are?

It's all IP based when you attempt to use the service. So whenever you try and watch a LP game it checks your location. Doesn't matter where you're paying from or the address on the credit card.
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#337 » by BobbyLight » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:28 pm

Uhhhh... so I've heard LP Broadband is Awful. Deadspin wrote two articles on how bad it is, which means nothing, but the user comments concur.

So, they say get International League Pass (which you can do with the Hola extension you used or Private Internet Access... maybe Unlocater [not sure if that allows you to pick where you're from]) and last year's premium pricing was.... $24.99. TWENTY FOUR DOLLARS, NINETY NINE CENTS.

Doing a quick search, it also appears to work flawlessly as it's not handled by the same company that handles the US LP BB.

Someone tell me I am doing something wrong because my head wants to explode in excitement that it's that cheap.

EDIT: That's gotta be the price since the season is over, or it's monthly (which is not clear). Here's pricing for full year from Australia last year.

http://ussportsdownunder.com/2013-14-in ... announced/

Still cheaper than cable.
[MIKE C]
Senior
And1: 187

Post#338 » by [MIKE C] » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:31 pm

Can someone give me a quick hit rundown of Roku and Hulu Plus?

Roku:
I bought a cheap, refurbished Roku box just to try it out. I've had it for a few months and so far I'm unimpressed. I like that I can stream Amazon Instant Video on there, which I didn't have on my TV. Otherwise I don't see it as a replacement for cable. I'm assuming I must be missing the right app. I can find apps for some channels such as History, Animal Planet, or some news channels. But it doesn't look like they offer full, current, complete episodes of the TV shows that are offered on cable. Just clips from shows and various things that you would find at their websites. What do I need to do to make Roku a valid replacement for cable? Or should I be looking at something else?

Hulu:
- What is the difference between Hulu and Hulu Plus?
- How quickly is current programming available on Hulu and how long is it available?
I was browsing the Hulu Plus web site to see if they offered the shows I like to watch and it seemed to be hit or miss. I didn't see Walking Dead or Mythbusters listed at all. I did see Arrow listed but only 1 season and 6 episodes, for example.

I don't watch a lot of prime time TV but there are some shows I really enjoy, Walking Dead, Arrow, Doctor Who. Outside of that I spend a lot of time surfing to other things like Mythbusters, Pawn Stars, Ancient Aliens, nothing I can't live without though. And of course sports, but there has already been a lot of info presented here for that.

My TV viewing habits don't feel like they are worth the money I'm paying for cable, but every time I look at cutting the cord it seems like there would be a lot I would miss. My kids could easily live off of Netflix but I rarely find anything on there. I seem to be Time Warner's bitch right now.

Thanks!
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#339 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:59 pm

Best way to use Roku is with Charter internet because then you get every ESPN channel for free. If you really want current TV shows then you should get Hulu Plus for like $7 a month. I don't have Hulu Plus so I can't really answer your questions about it. I primarily use WatchESPN, Netflix, AmazonPrime, and HBOGO (w/ friend's log in) on my Roku. I occasionally use PBS (when Downton Abbey is airing) and Fox News (every recent episode of RedEye is on demand). There are also a whole bunch of free movie channels, though they are usually older movies. I sometimes use Crackle to watch Jerry Seinfeld's 'Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee.'

Bottom line is that if you watch a lot of TV and have to watch it live or as it airs then Roku probably won't be for you. As I get older I've come to the realization that a lot of times I don't even have time to keep up with week to week airing of TV shows, I'm just too busy. So I'm more than fine waiting to watch good TV after it hits Netflix and Amazon.

ETA: I currently have two Roku's, one in my bedroom and one in my livingroom. I have my own Amazon Prime account ($80-90 a year), my family shares a Netflix account (which Netflix is totally cool with btw), and borrow my friend's HBOGO log in (I would buy HBOGO if Charter offered the internet package like some other cable companies do). I then pay $58 a month for Charter Internet. So I pay about $65 a month and get almost everything I watched on cable when I was paying at the lowest $115 and the highest $150. And I don't have to worry about special offers running out or Charter trying to raise my monthly fee (as much - still have their internet).
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#340 » by BuckHole » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:18 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Best way to use Roku is with Charter internet because then you get every ESPN channel for free.

I don't understand how you're getting this? I have the same situation, no ESPN. Could it be they haven't disconnected your cable? Perhaps you're still live?

Regardless, they've cut me loose from and free channel apps. I'm getting the basic service from the cable apps -- old terrible shows, boring sports, unsatisfying previews.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa

Return to Milwaukee Bucks