ImageImage

OT - Cutting the Cord

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

User avatar
MikeIsGood
RealGM
Posts: 20,554
And1: 157
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: Sloane!
     

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#31 » by MikeIsGood » Fri May 25, 2012 11:45 pm

I'm going to try doing this when my contract is up in November. I am not sure how well it will work, though. I watch A LOT of cable. But saving $1200 per year (probably more like $800ish when you factor in At Bat, League Pass, Hulu or Netflix) would be awesome.
paul wrote:Not kidding, I missed most of the second overtime cleaning up with handy wipes, much like twirl.
User avatar
Nebula1
RealGM
Posts: 25,273
And1: 971
Joined: Aug 06, 2005
Location: Underground King
 

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#32 » by Nebula1 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:32 am

Been without cable for a number of years now and without a TV for about 2.5 years. Don't miss them at all.
Sam Dekker | Jimbo Harden
User avatar
Mags FTW
RealGM
Posts: 23,284
And1: 535
Joined: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Flickin' It

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#33 » by Mags FTW » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:48 pm

So I just called Time Warner to "cancel" my cable and internet for U-Verse, hoping I'd get a lower monthly bill or some extra channels out of it. First person took my info and then transferred me to "retention". The woman I spoke with there offered nothing. Simply told me the closest place to turn in my cable box, modem, and remote. I specifically told her I was leaving because got a cheaper offer from AT&T. Will they try to call me at another time, or is that it?
UW Head Football Coach Gary Anderson wrote:I don't know that.
User avatar
trwi7
RealGM
Posts: 90,846
And1: 6,515
Joined: Jul 12, 2006
Location: Aussie bias
         

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#34 » by trwi7 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:15 am

Mags FTW wrote:So I just called Time Warner to "cancel" my cable and internet for U-Verse, hoping I'd get a lower monthly bill or some extra channels out of it. First person took my info and then transferred me to "retention". The woman I spoke with there offered nothing. Simply told me the closest place to turn in my cable box, modem, and remote. I specifically told her I was leaving because got a cheaper offer from AT&T. Will they try to call me at another time, or is that it?


Wouldn't even go back to Time Warner even if they offered you a better deal. U-Verse craps all over Time Warner.
stellation wrote:"What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."
jeremyd236
General Manager
Posts: 7,930
And1: 16
Joined: Jan 07, 2005
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#35 » by jeremyd236 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:08 am

Mags FTW wrote:So I just called Time Warner to "cancel" my cable and internet for U-Verse, hoping I'd get a lower monthly bill or some extra channels out of it. First person took my info and then transferred me to "retention". The woman I spoke with there offered nothing. Simply told me the closest place to turn in my cable box, modem, and remote. I specifically told her I was leaving because got a cheaper offer from AT&T. Will they try to call me at another time, or is that it?


You probably need to be more clear in threatening to move or being angry about your service/price. My girlfriend has called twice in the last year to bitch about our prices. Here in Minneapolis, we have Comcast basic service, which doesn't include AMC. That was her main point in wanting a reduced price or AMC thrown in for free.

First time she got HBO/Cinemax free for a year. Second time she got Showtime free for a year. It's not a reduced price or AMC, but I love it. They also gave us AMC on demand...so we can watch all my favorite shows the next day. Again, not the same thing but we got a good deal when it's all said and done.
User avatar
Mags FTW
RealGM
Posts: 23,284
And1: 535
Joined: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Flickin' It

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#36 » by Mags FTW » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:38 pm

They called this morning, but I was in a meeting and couldn't pick up. Hopefully they have a nice offer for me.
UW Head Football Coach Gary Anderson wrote:I don't know that.
User avatar
Nebula1
RealGM
Posts: 25,273
And1: 971
Joined: Aug 06, 2005
Location: Underground King
 

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#37 » by Nebula1 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:29 pm

How much TV do you guys watch on average per week?

I found that one day my tv was dusty and hadn't been turned on in weeks so I got rid of it for good.
Sam Dekker | Jimbo Harden
User avatar
El Duderino
RealGM
Posts: 18,133
And1: 626
Joined: May 30, 2005
Location: Working on pad level

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#38 » by El Duderino » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Mags FTW wrote:So I just called Time Warner to "cancel" my cable and internet for U-Verse, hoping I'd get a lower monthly bill or some extra channels out of it. First person took my info and then transferred me to "retention". The woman I spoke with there offered nothing. Simply told me the closest place to turn in my cable box, modem, and remote. I specifically told her I was leaving because got a cheaper offer from AT&T. Will they try to call me at another time, or is that it?


TW called me a few months ago and gave me a super sweet deal when canceled to get U-Verse. After haggling with the guy a bit, i got cable, phone, internet, and DVR for 65 dollars a month for 12 months. I added HBO though and now my bill is 88 bucks with taxes/fees added.
User avatar
Mags FTW
RealGM
Posts: 23,284
And1: 535
Joined: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Flickin' It

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#39 » by Mags FTW » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:54 pm

Got my bill reduced from $130 to $75.
UW Head Football Coach Gary Anderson wrote:I don't know that.
User avatar
El Duderino
RealGM
Posts: 18,133
And1: 626
Joined: May 30, 2005
Location: Working on pad level

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#40 » by El Duderino » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:53 am

Good for you Mags

Time Warner gets ripped on a ton here, but i've been with them for a long time and don't really have anything bad to say about them except that their DVR's suck compared to their competitors.

Pretty much without fail over the years, when a promotion i was on expired, they found me a new one which was very fair. My internet and/or cable rarely ever goes out and the few times it has, the outage was fixed quickly. If something did wrong with either that needed repair or a replacement product, a service tech would come out within a day or two and never once was i charge a penny for that. Hell, i get the digital variety cable package, 12MB internet, phone, DVR, and HBO and my bill is only 88 dollars after taxes and fees. I literally can't remember the last time either of my cable or internet went out.

Maybe i'm just lucky, but Time Warner has been good for me over many years. Then again, my sister is a passive type and pays nearly 80 bucks with TW for just cable and DVR. With the competition out there for cable/internet customers, people need to be aggressive and shop for the best offers, unlike my sister.
BucksRUS
Analyst
Posts: 3,164
And1: 12
Joined: Jun 16, 2009
Location: In the Snow.

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#41 » by BucksRUS » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:35 pm

Nebula1 wrote:How much TV do you guys watch on average per week?

I found that one day my tv was dusty and hadn't been turned on in weeks so I got rid of it for good.


Less than an hour a day. Usually when I am exercising. Kids watch more, especially on the weekends.
Trade S. Jackson soon. NJ seems like a nice place for him.
User avatar
A Diddy2231
Analyst
Posts: 3,581
And1: 59
Joined: Sep 28, 2007
Location: NEW BEEZY
   

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#42 » by A Diddy2231 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:17 am

Time Warner no longer carrying WISN..Channel 12 ABC in Milwaukee viewing areas
Johnny wrote:You betrayed me! You're not good. You, you're just a chicken. Chip-chip-chip-chip-cheep-cheep.
User avatar
trwi7
RealGM
Posts: 90,846
And1: 6,515
Joined: Jul 12, 2006
Location: Aussie bias
         

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#43 » by trwi7 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:19 pm

A Diddy2231 wrote:Time Warner no longer carrying WISN..Channel 12 ABC in Milwaukee viewing areas


Was watching WTMJ and they talked about how Time Warner wasn't carrying WISN and how they may not be your first choice but we're here and on your side (seriously worse than the Bucks slogans over the years). Their first news story after that? Show us how ugly your lawn is.
stellation wrote:"What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."
User avatar
SheedsWeed
RealGM
Posts: 12,931
And1: 0
Joined: Jul 30, 2004
Location: to all the killas and the hundred dolla billas
Contact:

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#44 » by SheedsWeed » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:26 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Been without cable for a number of years now and without a TV for about 2.5 years. Don't miss them at all.

How do you watch Bucks games? League Pass Broadband? What about the NFL?
User avatar
Nebula1
RealGM
Posts: 25,273
And1: 971
Joined: Aug 06, 2005
Location: Underground King
 

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#45 » by Nebula1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:31 pm

SheedsWeed wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:Been without cable for a number of years now and without a TV for about 2.5 years. Don't miss them at all.

How do you watch Bucks games? League Pass Broadband? What about the NFL?


LP Broadband. Obviously the blackouts suck, but since I'm not in WI I get most of the Bucks games. Ideally they will drop the blackout access or make it eligible to pay more to get access. But overall the NBA online presentation has been only getting better.

I don't watch much NFL but if it's on at a bar or a house I can catch it. I utilize Bloomberg, Live News Chat, Veetle, Justin.tv, Hulu, etc. for non-sports. Considering we only get ~700,000 hours per lifetime I cannot justify much TV. Most Americans will spend 15-20% (100,000+ hours) of their lifetime watching TV. Instead flip that 100,000 hours of TV into productivity and land far ahead of most Americans.
Sam Dekker | Jimbo Harden
User avatar
SheedsWeed
RealGM
Posts: 12,931
And1: 0
Joined: Jul 30, 2004
Location: to all the killas and the hundred dolla billas
Contact:

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#46 » by SheedsWeed » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Nebula1 wrote:
SheedsWeed wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:Been without cable for a number of years now and without a TV for about 2.5 years. Don't miss them at all.

How do you watch Bucks games? League Pass Broadband? What about the NFL?


LP Broadband. Obviously the blackouts suck, but since I'm not in WI I get most of the Bucks games. Ideally they will drop the blackout access or make it eligible to pay more to get access. But overall the NBA online presentation has been only getting better.

I don't watch much NFL but if it's on at a bar or a house I can catch it. I utilize Bloomberg, Live News Chat, Veetle, Justin.tv, Hulu, etc. for non-sports. Considering we only get ~700,000 hours per lifetime I cannot justify much TV. Most Americans will spend 15-20% (100,000+ hours) of their lifetime watching TV. Instead flip that 100,000 hours of TV into productivity and land far ahead of most Americans.

Ah ok. I don't know if I could live without the NFL on my own TV though. :)
User avatar
Nebula1
RealGM
Posts: 25,273
And1: 971
Joined: Aug 06, 2005
Location: Underground King
 

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#47 » by Nebula1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:54 pm

There are ways to watch the NFL. Redzone has a mobile feature, I believe but I'm not up on my NFL products.
Sam Dekker | Jimbo Harden
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 23,269
And1: 1,080
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
     

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#48 » by REDDzone » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:08 pm

Nebula1 wrote:There are ways to watch the NFL. Redzone has a mobile feature, I believe but I'm not up on my NFL products.


YOU HAVE A MOBILE FEATURE
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
Nebula1
RealGM
Posts: 25,273
And1: 971
Joined: Aug 06, 2005
Location: Underground King
 

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#49 » by Nebula1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:12 am

REDDzone wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:There are ways to watch the NFL. Redzone has a mobile feature, I believe but I'm not up on my NFL products.


YOU HAVE A MOBILE FEATURE


I do. I have Verizon and they forced me to have some NFL apps. Can't delete them.
Sam Dekker | Jimbo Harden
gbmb34
Pro Prospect
Posts: 774
And1: 18
Joined: Dec 01, 2009
       

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#50 » by gbmb34 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Without posting links and assuming you can deal with not great feeds, you can literally watch every NFL and NBA game. MLB is where it gets tough.
packerbreakdown.wordpress.com

Return to Milwaukee Bucks