OT - Cutting the Cord

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#341 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:38 am

BuckHole wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Best way to use Roku is with Charter internet because then you get every ESPN channel for free.

I don't understand how you're getting this? I have the same situation, no ESPN. Could it be they haven't disconnected your cable? Perhaps you're still live?

Regardless, they've cut me loose from and free channel apps. I'm getting the basic service from the cable apps -- old terrible shows, boring sports, unsatisfying previews.

Hmm that's weird. I have a friend who also canceled his cable a couple of months ago and is getting ESPN with just Charter Internet.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Todd_Day
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#342 » by Todd_Day » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Cable providers have "secret menus" check it out, I need to possibly try this. I've been a netflix and (possibly) illegal streaming guy fro many years already. Too busy to be sitting around watching Tv all the time, but have to keep up with NBA and a few Walking Deads or Silicon Valley here and there.

Seems intriguing

http://lifehacker.com/get-hbo-without-c ... ceydonohue
The Milwaukee Bucks. Still the only major Milwaukee team to get closest to a title since the mid 1980's.
[MIKE C]
Senior
And1: 187

Post#343 » by [MIKE C] » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Todd_Day wrote:Cable providers have "secret menus" check it out, I need to possibly try this. I've been a netflix and (possibly) illegal streaming guy fro many years already. Too busy to be sitting around watching Tv all the time, but have to keep up with NBA and a few Walking Deads or Silicon Valley here and there.

Seems intriguing

http://lifehacker.com/get-hbo-without-c ... ceydonohue

For Time Warner, the Starter TV (20 channels) plus HBO is $30/month. Although it says for 12 months.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/digital-cable-tv.html
[MIKE C]
Senior

Post#344 » by [MIKE C] » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:23 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Best way to use Roku is with Charter internet because then you get every ESPN channel for free. If you really want current TV shows then you should get Hulu Plus for like $7 a month. I don't have Hulu Plus so I can't really answer your questions about it. I primarily use WatchESPN, Netflix, AmazonPrime, and HBOGO (w/ friend's log in) on my Roku. I occasionally use PBS (when Downton Abbey is airing) and Fox News (every recent episode of RedEye is on demand). There are also a whole bunch of free movie channels, though they are usually older movies. I sometimes use Crackle to watch Jerry Seinfeld's 'Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee.'

Bottom line is that if you watch a lot of TV and have to watch it live or as it airs then Roku probably won't be for you. As I get older I've come to the realization that a lot of times I don't even have time to keep up with week to week airing of TV shows, I'm just too busy. So I'm more than fine waiting to watch good TV after it hits Netflix and Amazon.

Thanks for the input. I never watch Prime Time shows live. Whatever Prime Time TV I like I usually DVR and watch after the kids are in bed or later in the week. I do like seeing the shows as the current episodes come out and would rather not have to wait for the Blu Ray to binge watch an entire season. It sounds like I could get by with a mix of Roku apps and Hulu Plus, and then buy whatever I can't find through there on Amazon Prime.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,253

Post#345 » by Mags FTW » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:21 am

I'm moving. Currently have TW for cable and internet, but am deathly afraid of the Comcast merger. How is U-verse?
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#346 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:31 am

Mags FTW wrote:I'm moving. Currently have TW for cable and internet, but am deathly afraid of the Comcast merger. How is U-verse?

I've been asking around and I feel AT&T internet people either love or hate, there isn't much of a middle ground. Customer service is apparently terrible too.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,343

Post#347 » by ackypoo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:56 pm

at&t has horrible customer service. i have at&t high speed internet, not uverse. i cant even seem to contact them. everytime i call to upgrade/change my service they tell me ive contacted uverse and need to contact the high speeed people and then they give me a phone number and hte whole thing continues.

the speeds i get are close to awful. maxes out at around 600kbps which is pretty awful if youre streaming multiple devices in the same household.

with all that said im not switching if the alternative is charter who ive had far worse experiences with. some of them due to poor customer service, others due to legal...stuff.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,654

Post#348 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:16 pm

If you set up that Hola Chrome extension you can get access to NFL Season Pass or Season Plus. $169 gets you your choice of a team to follow, $200 gets you every regular season game plus the NFL Network and Red Zone Channel, $269 for Season Plus gets that, the playoffs and Super Bowl and the NFL Network during the offseason too.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,012

Post#349 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
Steve210
Pro Prospect
And1: 79

Post#350 » by Steve210 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:39 pm

I've had Time Warner forever and now moving into a new home. I'm leaning towards Uverse for Cable & Internet, and also considering Directv. I know a lot of people have strong opinions on this subject, just curious what some of you guys think? Thanks for any input or feedback you guys have.
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#351 » by averageposter » Fri Sep 5, 2014 4:49 pm

I am wondering if anyone would have any thoughts on TV at a second home. I have been kicking the idea around of a cabin in the northwoods. I have traditionally played a Disc golf tournament at Sandy Point the last 5-10 years and as its become more about spending time with friends and the wife in the Minocqua area then the actual disc golf, I think I'm just going to buy a place up there. I am wondering if anyone is using slingbox to send their cable or Uverse anywhere. It would seem for my own use assuming I paid for at least high speed internet that would be a solution. If I decided to rent the cabin I would probably need to do something else for the renter. In that case does Dish or Direct just allow you to add a receiver at a different location?
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#352 » by Nebula1 » Fri Sep 5, 2014 5:55 pm

I'm still managing to be TV-free while using mobile almost exclusively. I was also introduced to the Show Box app for android... anybody using it? I question the legality, but it's sure easy to use.

review: http://dottech.org/126020/android-revie ... sodes-app/
[MIKE C]
Senior

Post#353 » by [MIKE C] » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Does anyone know anything about using XBMC through a device such as this?
http://www.amazon.com/G-Box-Midnight-MX2-Android-Streaming/dp/B00CH643A8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410536043&sr=8-1&keywords=xbmc

I don't know anything about XBMC. I'm trying to do some research to learn about it. Someone suggested to me that it is the way to go for replacing cable. He said he uses XBMC with icefilms and navi-x. What would that give me that's different from a Roku with Hulu and Netflix?
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,313

Post#354 » by crkone » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:02 pm

[MIKE C] wrote:Does anyone know anything about using XBMC through a device such as this?
http://www.amazon.com/G-Box-Midnight-MX2-Android-Streaming/dp/B00CH643A8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410536043&sr=8-1&keywords=xbmc

I don't know anything about XBMC. I'm trying to do some research to learn about it. Someone suggested to me that it is the way to go for replacing cable. He said he uses XBMC with icefilms and navi-x. What would that give me that's different from a Roku with Hulu and Netflix?

I bought an Ouya mainly for XBMC and it works great. Looks like the G-Box is an android media center in which you can install android apps on it. XBMC with any of those add-ons is free and you can get HD movies before they come out on DVD or TV shows commercial free within a few hours of airing. The live streaming still is hit or miss. I've gotten superb quality live TV and also unwatchable streams. XBMC also doesn't endorse those addons as they aren't legal.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |

Return to Milwaukee Bucks