ImageImage

OT - Cutting the Cord

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,781

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#61 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:24 pm

Anyone else sports are going to start losing their fan bases? I think a lot of people got into sports because it was so easy. Growing up I was a Braves fan cause I knew every game was on TBS. It's been easy being a Packer fan because 75% of the games were on FOX on Sunday. Now it could be 5 days a week. It just pisses me off trying to find the game half the time and wondering if we have the channel. Started out do I have NFL network? Then Big Ten Network? Now its do I have ESPNU. It's "hard" getting a group of friends over sometime because you don't know who has what channel.

Right now I actually have some free time and want to watch the MU game. Their rights are with ESPN and I was totally ready to watch it live and watch their advertisements. Turns out it is on ESPNU which would cost me $10, which isn't bad but I would watch that channel maybe 2x a month. So I'm like screw it. May watch the boxscore a bit but not investing as much time as I would.

Yeah, its about money, but if the games aren't accessible people aren't going to as emotionally invested and willing to spend money.
Down To Buck
Senior
And1: 306

Post#62 » by Down To Buck » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:03 pm

MilTownBucks wrote:Well since he brought this thread back, whats the easiest way to watch the Bucks if I dont have cable

I have league pass and have tried switching the IP address to one from Russia (I think?) on my computer before but I dont think I did it right. I can usually figure things out after awhile when it comes to phones/computers, I just dont know all the technical terms for everything.

Please, I need to watch my team. Last game I saw was against the Nets in Brooklyn.

Only have DSL through ATT. They havent expanded U-Verse to my area yet "reason pending".

Nothing can ever be perfect can it?

It really sucks that league pass doesn't let us watch the Bucks, even after the fact. I'm pretty tech-savvy, and I've tried the IP address changing stuff, but I couldn't get it to work either. I'm sure the NBA is one step ahead on that stuff. If you ever figure out there's tons of people who would love to know!

Basically your only solution is low-quality illegal streams, those are plentiful enough, and it's free. The downside is that the second you open one up David Stern sends a message to the FBI and they take you away to Guantanamo.
Check out my NBA Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/user/DownToBuck
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#63 » by Nebula1 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:21 pm

This thing is sweet

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNUeSUXOc-w[/youtube]
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#64 » by Nebula1 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:29 pm

cheetah

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2D71CveQwo[/youtube]
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#65 » by Nebula1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 am

this has been out a little while but got a good response from CES

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKTSdW7-H3Q[/youtube]

http://www.thingiverse.com/
DigitalFool
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#66 » by DigitalFool » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:31 pm

After my tw DVR crashed and got wiped and support said 'oh well, not our problem' I decided to work on officially cutting the cord. I set up over the air DVR in WMC with HomeRun Dual. Seems to work well. Now I need to find a cheap XBOX 360 to use as an extender.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#67 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:52 pm

Didn't want to start a new thread for this and I figured this thread was close enough a fit.

Has anyone set up a home media server to stream movies and tv to any device on your home network? I recently began creating digital copies of all my dvds and blu-rays, a rather large task. My goal is to consolidate all of my media on to a home server so I can watch all of my stuff on any of my TVs/Computers/etc. Just looking for tips on the best way to do this. I'm still in the research stage.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,313

Post#68 » by crkone » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:48 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Didn't want to start a new thread for this and I figured this thread was close enough a fit.

Has anyone set up a home media server to stream movies and tv to any device on your home network? I recently began creating digital copies of all my dvds and blu-rays, a rather large task. My goal is to consolidate all of my media on to a home server so I can watch all of my stuff on any of my TVs/Computers/etc. Just looking for tips on the best way to do this. I'm still in the research stage.

I use Twonky which works good between my Panasonic, S3, home theater/gaming central hub monster, macbook pro, dell laptop, and iphone. I haven't tested out blu-rays yet and I haven't tested if I can get surround sound streaming from one device to the other. May test that last one tonight.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
DigitalFool
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#69 » by DigitalFool » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:50 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Didn't want to start a new thread for this and I figured this thread was close enough a fit.

What container are you using for your digital copies?

Not really an answer, but my solution is using WMC for DVR and MediaBrowser plug-in. I use a Drobo Pro for storage. Not exactly a streaming option, but I guess if I'm at home, I'm going to watch movies on my Panny, not iphone or tablet. I know a lot of providers offer apps to watch TV/DVR but I don't think that is what you meant.

Twonky does looks interesting, may have to check it out.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#70 » by Wilford Brimley » Sat Feb 9, 2013 4:22 am

So my family and I are also cutting the cord. Too many channels we don't watch, for $1k a year.

We are considering Apple TV. I have a few questions.

1. Is Apply TV + monthly fee for Netflix | monthly fee for Hulu a good idea?

2. I am going to miss my sports, should I just get NBA League pass through Apple TV? What do I do for the playoffs?

Thanks!
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,654

Post#71 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Feb 9, 2013 5:00 am

I think a Netflix subscription is a good idea regardless. Watch it on your Apple TV / Roku, laptop, PS3, 360...whatever.

The Apple TV is a nice device if you have other iOS devices. I have an iPhone and the second I come home from work I play music wirelessly from my phone to my ATV connected to my home theater. Music alone made it worth buying the $99 device.

As for sports, blackouts are your biggest issue. If you care about local sports you need to find a workaround. I use a VPN but it only works on my mobile devices and computer; I don't have a router that supports VPN pass-through that allow it to work on an Apple TV, Roku or gaming system. Many routers do. Research VPN Routers; they're effective as hell but might not be worth the effort.

I highly recommend getting a Mohu Leaf. It's an outstanding antenna that picks up over-air HD signals free. I get ABC, NBC, CW, FOX and some public television that looks better than anything a subscription service offers. Go here to find out what channels you'll receive.

If you do cut the chord, season passes on Amazon and iTunes will generally run you cheaper than the cost of cable, unless you have a 15 cable shows you need to watch every year.

The hangup is HBO. If you cut the cord and want to watch Game of Thrones, you need to torrent, and if you do that you're insane if you don't use a VPN. There are free ones out there that will do you fine. I'd rather not **** around so I went through HideIPVPN and got the biggest security package I thought I needed.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User

Post#72 » by Wilford Brimley » Sat Feb 9, 2013 5:08 am

DrugBust wrote:I think a Netflix subscription is a good idea regardless. Watch it on your Apple TV / Roku, laptop, PS3, 360...whatever.

The Apple TV is a nice device if you have other iOS devices. I have an iPhone and the second I come home from work I play music wirelessly from my phone to my ATV connected to my home theater. Music alone made it worth buying the $99 device.

As for sports, blackouts are your biggest issue. If you care about local sports you need to find a workaround. I use a VPN but it only works on my mobile devices and computer; I don't have a router that supports VPN pass-through that allow it to work on an Apple TV, Roku or gaming system. Many routers do. Research VPN Routers; they're effective as hell but might not be worth the effort.

I highly recommend getting a Mohu Leaf. It's an outstanding antenna that picks up over-air HD signals free. I get ABC, NBC, CW, FOX and some public television that looks better than anything a subscription service offers. Go here to find out what channels you'll receive.

If you do cut the chord, season passes on Amazon and iTunes will generally run you cheaper than the cost of cable, unless you have a 15 cable shows you need to watch every year.

The hangup is HBO. If you cut the cord and want to watch Game of Thrones, you need to torrent, and if you do that you're insane if you don't use a VPN. There are free ones out there that will do you fine. I'd rather not **** around so I went through HideIPVPN and got the biggest security package I thought I needed.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

I don't get HBO anyways, so that won't be an issue.

I don't watch the Bucks too often, Im ashamed to say, but I will miss John and Bill (they remind me of my childhood).

I guess playoffs, Id go to a bar/buddies house? Or one of those crappy streams?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Feb 9, 2013 5:13 am

Don't really know about the playoffs. You'll get the ones played on Networks if you get a good antenna. Like I said, I love the Leaf. I have a hard time believing the NBA wouldn't offer a post season pass for games available on their League Pass devices, but like I said I'm not sure.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User

Post#74 » by Wilford Brimley » Sat Feb 9, 2013 5:14 am

DrugBust wrote:Don't really know about the playoffs. You'll get the ones played on Networks if you get a good antenna. Like I said, I love the Leaf. I have a hard time believing the NBA wouldn't offer a post season pass for games available on their League Pass devices, but like I said I'm not sure.

At worst I'll go to a bar or a friends house.

So you're on board with my family's idea of Apple TV/Netflix/Hulu? Anything Im not considering here?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Feb 9, 2013 5:25 am

You could consider a Roku instead of an Apple TV. I have an Apple TV in my living room and a Roku in my bedroom because it didn't require a jailbreak to run PLEX. I like the Apple TV a lot more and for your uses that's what I'd go with without thinking twice. But I'm just putting something else out there for you.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User

Post#76 » by Wilford Brimley » Sat Feb 9, 2013 5:27 am

DrugBust wrote:You could consider a Roku instead of an Apple TV. I have an Apple TV in my living room and a Roku in my bedroom because it didn't require a jailbreak to run PLEX. I like the Apple TV a lot more and for your uses that's what I'd go with without thinking twice. But I'm just putting something else out there for you.

I've heard of Roku, it seems to be about $40 cheaper, but I don't think it offers league pass. Although I could just get LP on my computer.

I'll take a look more at Roku, but I'm leaning towards Apple right now, as you've said.

Thanks again man.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User

Post#77 » by Wilford Brimley » Sat Feb 9, 2013 5:37 am

Actually, if I already have PS3, do I need Apple TV?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Feb 9, 2013 3:44 pm

Wilford Brimley wrote:Actually, if I already have PS3, do I need Apple TV?

Nope, runs both Netflix and Hulu. It even runs Plex natively now too if you want to set up a home media server.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#79 » by Nebula1 » Sat Feb 9, 2013 4:04 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBGkSuaqWEE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GLj_f6cTUU[/youtube]
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#80 » by Nebula1 » Sat Feb 9, 2013 4:15 pm