ImageImage

Kohl/Arena Discussion Page 71 - Study Released

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Salukie
Banned User
And1: 3

Re: Kohl/Arena Discussion Page 71 - Study Released 

Post#1761 » by Salukie » Wed Aug 7, 2013 7:35 pm

so does this supposed study just get tossed into a file cabinet for another 5-10 years? with no action taken?
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,413

Post#1762 » by th87 » Wed Aug 7, 2013 8:09 pm

Tarot cards, huh. Looks like I'm not going to buy groceries today because I bought gas.
ajb905
Rookie
And1: 310

Post#1763 » by ajb905 » Wed Aug 7, 2013 8:33 pm

th87 wrote:Tarot cards, huh. Looks like I'm not going to buy groceries today because I bought gas.

The point was that people will spend their discretionary/entertainment dollars on something else (likely local) if there isn't a stadium to spend it at. So the net effect on discretionary spending is minimal. So with public financing you put the local gov't in the hole without providing any real economic benefit to the region.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,888

Post#1764 » by BUCKnation » Wed Aug 7, 2013 9:30 pm

2 years with that Lakers TV deal and we could fund a very nice new arena.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,000

Post#1765 » by jokeboy86 » Wed Aug 7, 2013 9:46 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I think it's pretty clear that no real movement on an arena is going to happen until Kohl dies/sells the team and a new owner comes in threatening to move the Bucks. No politician is going to stake their political livelihood on supporting the Bucks when there is currently no pressing need to do so.

Exactly. Like others have said, they took all this time to essentially decide that they need to form a committee to discuss a new arena. I still think this committee and Kohl are just trying to buy some time until the Bucks start winning for at least 3yrs in a row or get a Lebron-type superstar to generate some type of momentum. I think they're also hoping that if Walker isnt re-elected(even though imo who's the governor wont matter.) that the next democratic governor would be on their side..
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,000

Post#1766 » by jokeboy86 » Wed Aug 7, 2013 9:47 pm

BUCKnation wrote:2 years with that Lakers TV deal and we could fund a very nice new arena.

Your avatar is fantastic. 4...more... days..
Salukie
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#1767 » by Salukie » Thu Aug 8, 2013 3:59 am

Regardless of who's governor, I seriously doubt the Bucks will receive the benefit of state funding. I believe for a democrat to win, he's going to run on a platform of fiscal responsibility, keeping tax increases to a minimum, and providing great education and a healthy Twinkie for all! I don't believe any candidate is going to run on the platform, Save our Bucks! (actually, that probably will be his platform!) And while this supposed task force has not released any results, I believe they've probably met behind doors a couple of times. They've probably reviewed the cost of other recent arena constructions, and looked at their own finances. and they realize they're not even close to meeting the costs involved. I believe if Kohl was close and had private funding for 50-75 % of the cost involved, he'd publish some findings of his study and then push and market for public support statewide, county wide and city wide and hope taxes or bonds would pay for 25-35% of the cost. And that would still be a big if. Since he hasn't done anything, I believe the first finding of this study was to hold back for another 3-5 years before releasing their findings. the public sentiment for financing an arena is pretty low right now. The private sector financing is also at a low point. and city and county funds are non-existent. improved, yes, but not good enough for generous good will spending. Will it change in 3 years? Kohl hopes it will, but I doubt it will. Neighboring counties are already stepping up and saying they won't support it. If Kohl lacks the support of neighboring counties, he can forget about getting any state funding.

from a personal perspective, I like the Bradley Center. I realize it's not very profitable for the Bucks. but as arenas go, it's still a nice place. A new arena? Sorry, but my money is tied up right now paying for my son's college education. Get back with me in 4 years. I know there are thousands of Bucks fans that want this new arena to happen. But there are millions of Wisconsin natives who are just trying to make ends meet. I've been a Packers fan all my life, but I've never attended a Packers game at Lambeau field because I simply could never afford to go. I trust that's the same with many Bucks fans.

another part of the culture that hasn't really been talked about is the " threat" of the Bucks moving. I believe many people in Wisconsin could care less. Milwaukee used to have the Milwaukee Hawks and they left and we got over it. Milwaukee used to have the Packers for half of their home games, and they moved permanently back to Green Bay with very little protest from the people of Milwaukee. They got over it and now drive to Green Bay. Milwaukee used to have the Braves, and they left. and people from Milwaukee got over it and started becoming Cubs and White Sox fans until the Brewers arrived. People In Wisconsin are conditioned to having their pro teams leave for greener pastures. if the Bucks threaten to move, most people will say thanks, and then find something else to do with their lives and become a Wolves or Bulls fan, or become a Packers fan for an additional three months or take up bowling. I was 4 when the Braves left town. If the Bucks decide to leave, I'll live to see another day. I've been conditioned for Sports teams leaving.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#1768 » by trwi7 » Thu Aug 8, 2013 7:37 am

Anyone else getting a more coherent Reed vibe from Salukie? :)
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1769 » by Badgerlander » Thu Aug 8, 2013 9:49 am

trwi7 wrote:Anyone else getting a more coherent Reed vibe from Salukie? :)

Yeah they probably even live fairly close to each other being SIU and all
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,939

Post#1770 » by midranger » Thu Aug 8, 2013 10:32 am

Suddenly, something like 40 people a day are being shot/murdered in Milwaukee (gross exaggeration, but feels like it). Barrett opens the coffers to the tune of 0.5 million in an attempt to stomp out the incredible violence.

Clearly, a new Bucks arena is worth 1000x that of public safety in keeping the national image of Milwaukee top notch.

What a joke. Kohl, find some buddies to pay for it, or move the team. Milwaukee can't afford you.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,900

Post#1771 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 8, 2013 12:23 pm

trwi7 wrote:Anyone else getting a more coherent Reed vibe from Salukie? :)

I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
LedZepp007
General Manager
And1: 3,523

Post#1772 » by LedZepp007 » Thu Aug 8, 2013 1:19 pm

midranger wrote:Suddenly, something like 40 people a day are being shot/murdered in Milwaukee (gross exaggeration, but feels like it). Barrett opens the coffers to the tune of 0.5 million in an attempt to stomp out the incredible violence.

Clearly, a new Bucks arena is worth 1000x that of public safety in keeping the national image of Milwaukee top notch.

What a joke. Kohl, find some buddies to pay for it, or move the team. Milwaukee can't afford you.

Of course we can afford it. We would have to have a tax.

A new arena is really important to this area. It's a good time for a new one right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The Bulls are the absolute worst.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#1773 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Aug 8, 2013 1:33 pm

ajb905 wrote:
th87 wrote:Tarot cards, huh. Looks like I'm not going to buy groceries today because I bought gas.

The point was that people will spend their discretionary/entertainment dollars on something else (likely local) if there isn't a stadium to spend it at. So the net effect on discretionary spending is minimal. So with public financing you put the local gov't in the hole without providing any real economic benefit to the region.

If the Bucks aren't downtown, I don't think I'll ever eat/drink on Water St/3rd St almost ever again.

Parts of that theory need to be thrown out the window because it's not true.

The downtown area suffers massively when there are no events.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1774 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:49 pm

Since Bridgeman is mentioned as a possible Bucks owner and/or investor (although he lives in Louisville and they also want a team there), I thought I'd post this

Former Milwaukee Bucks star Junior Bridgeman, who operates 44 Wendy's restaurants in Wisconsin, is co-leader of a partnership that has bought 30 Wendy's in the St. Louis area.

Current NBA star Chauncey Billups is joining Bridgeman in the venture --Billups' first in the restaurant business -- in a partnership called BB St. Louis LLC.

Financial terms of the sale, which was announced Tuesday by The Wendy's Co., weren't dislcosed.

With the transaction, Bridgeman, who is Wendy's second-largest franchisee, now has partial or total ownerhsip of 196 Wendy's restaurants, the company said.

"We are expanding our relationship with successful, well-capitalized franchisees with strong operating credentials and a commitment to our Image Activation re-imaging program," Emil Brolick, Wendy's chief executive, said in a statement. "We have enjoyed a longstanding relationship with Junior Bridgeman, and he is an exceptional person, an excellent operator and very committed to building a 'people' culture. In addition, we are eager to welcome Cahuncey to the Wendy's family."

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1775 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:33 pm

If you received a letter from the Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce recently, you're in luck.

Or not.

If you did, it's possible Timothy Sheehy, MMAC's president, asked you or somebody you know to serve on the Regional Cultural and Entertainment Capital Needs Task Force. That's the panel charged with looking into whether the community needs a new arena, and how it might be financed.

But there's more. The panel is expected to go beyond that and ponder what are the other capital needs in Milwaukee. Should Milwaukee expand the Wisconsin Center? Does the Milwaukee County Zoo need a makeover? What about the Milwaukee Public Museum? The list goes on and on.

Some names have leaked out. As expected Mayor Tom Barrett, County Executive Chris Abele and County Board Chairwoman Marina Dimitrijevic were all invited to appoint someone to the panel.

Abele has decided to name Teig Whaley-Smith, the county's economic development director. The offices of both Barrett and Dimitrijevic's did not disclose their nominees.

Common Council President Willie HInes said he was invited to serve on the panel. But Hines said he wasn't sure he would because of the press of other duties, including the 2014 city budget. He may appoint someone else.

Mark T. McCune, a Washington County supervisor, will serve on the panel. McCune already serves on the Miller Park stadium board.

Sheehy said he hoped to name somewhere between 30 and 40 people from the five-county region. Some will be elected officials, but Sheehy hopes to have a broad mix of interests.

It is a given that not all of the nominees will be pro-arena. "Some of the people he's appointing are dead set against a new arena," said a source knowledgeable about the new panel.

Mike Duckett, executive director of the Miller Park stadium board, said he has offered to serve on the panel as a technical advisor. In addition to his knowledge of how Miller Park came together, Duckett also has worked with the Green Bay/Brown County Professional Football Stadium District. That's the group that oversees work at Lambeau Field in Green Bay.

We should learn about more names in the coming days. And in the comments section, feel free to suggest who should serve, whether or not they are in favor of a new arena.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks