Kohl/Arena Discussion Page 71 - Study Released

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,902

Kohl/Arena Discussion Page 71 - Study Released 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Fri May 4, 2012 5:14 pm

I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Kohl: I'll help Pay For New Arena 

Post#2 » by MickeyDavis » Fri May 4, 2012 5:15 pm

Asked if he felt pressure from the league to build a new arena to keep the team, Kohl said, "They would say without a new facility, Milwaukee's chances of remaining a part of the NBA are not robust," he said.

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3 » by MickeyDavis » Fri May 4, 2012 5:15 pm

I give him credit for finally coming out and saying something. It will still be years before we have a new building. If ever.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#4 » by Newz » Fri May 4, 2012 5:15 pm

That's very good news that he is willing to come out and say that.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by MickeyDavis » Fri May 4, 2012 5:22 pm

This is discussed in the press conference thread but it's a big deal he finally said SOMETHING.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#6 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri May 4, 2012 5:25 pm

Glad to hear but...

(I'll paste from other thread)

Only way we get a new arena is if Kohl chips in, stays a minority owner, and the new owner chips in the other part. There is NO way public money is going to fund any of this. It won't win a vote and people will freak. It needs to be privately funded all of the way and I don't know how that happens. I'm guessing a new arena will be $300-500M and Herb doesn't have that kind of cash flow I don't think. I still think this is a long shot especially with the overall fan apathy.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#7 » by chuckleslove » Fri May 4, 2012 5:25 pm

If only there was some big Milwaukee based company/business that wanted to spend about $300 million to expand their business and possibly work with the Bucks/city on an arena.

Oops
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#8 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri May 4, 2012 5:27 pm

Go figure the worst timing by the Bucks when the economy is still bad and the state of the franchise is at an all-time low.
Newz
Banned User

Post#9 » by Newz » Fri May 4, 2012 5:28 pm

chuckleslove wrote:If only there was some big Milwaukee based company/business that wanted to spend about $300 million to expand their business and possibly work with the Bucks/city on an arena.

Oops

:D
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#10 » by WEFFPIM » Fri May 4, 2012 5:36 pm

Frankly, it's a long time coming that someone with the team (or the city) threw their hat into the ring. The only people that have been speaking up about a new building are the Bradley Center people and occasionally Michael Hunt.

Will anything happen? Doubtful. But at least SOMEONE with a say in the matter has offered up a portion of the solution.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Newz
Banned User

Post#11 » by Newz » Fri May 4, 2012 5:38 pm

Did it leave out the part of the interview when they asked Kohl how much he was willing to contribute and he said...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw[/youtube]

Then put his little finger up to his lips and pet his hairless cat?
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#12 » by WEFFPIM » Fri May 4, 2012 5:39 pm

Newz wrote:Then put his little finger up to his lips and pet his hairless cat?

Hairless cat = Drew Gooden?
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,413

Post#13 » by th87 » Fri May 4, 2012 5:41 pm

That's really nice of him - it's clear he wants the team to succeed.
Newz
Banned User

Post#14 » by Newz » Fri May 4, 2012 5:41 pm

WEFFPIM wrote:
Newz wrote:Then put his little finger up to his lips and pet his hairless cat?

Hairless cat = Drew Gooden?

Bald Gooden with that crazy beard... he was just strokin' away at his dome and Gooden was all...

Erifee
Senior
And1: 305

Post#15 » by Erifee » Fri May 4, 2012 5:46 pm

Shouldn't owners be expected to pay for a new arena? I'm sick of teams holding cities hostage and then gouging the fans at every opportunity once the ransom is paid.

If any public money is used, the taxpayers should get a guarantee that the team stays in Milwaukee for several decades.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:His Suns about 5 or 6 years ago came close to getting to the Finals who got ripped off in that one playoff series when he was thrown across a table by Robert Horry who you might also consider an excellent core piece.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#16 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri May 4, 2012 5:47 pm

Even if Kohl donates a 1/3 of his net worth, which is unlikely probably, that's about $90-95M...probably about a 1/4 of the entire arena price.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#17 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri May 4, 2012 5:51 pm

If you had a poll for lets say the 5 counties in the greater Milwaukee area. The 2 options were:

1. Minimal public tax for 20 years to help finance an arena and the Bucks are guaranteed to stay in that period.
2. No tax, Bucks leave town.

Over/Under 65% vote for No Tax, Bucks leave town.

I honestly would put my money on the over.
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#18 » by mlloyd10 » Fri May 4, 2012 5:56 pm

http://www.metromilwaukee.org/work/inde ... list&sid=5

List of companies that could split the bill
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#19 » by unklchuk » Fri May 4, 2012 5:57 pm

I think Kohl's statement is extremely welcome. As to timing, I think it has to happen now. And if Kohl becomes a minority owner to somebody like Attanasio, I will nominate him for Herohood.

The Kohl statement combines the traditional plum (a not insignificant contribution from Herb) with one or two sticks (including the NBA's dim view of Milw without a new arena). A new arena will have economic value to the city and the city fathers, over coming decades, so I'd think they'll find a way to make some financial contribution. Probably without putting it to a vote.

This month just might go down in history as the beginning of a Bucks renaissance. New ownership, new arena, new energy -- with a honeymoon period to move away from the feeble Win Now toward genuine building of the team.

Behind the scenes, though, is waiting the real possibility that this will be the beginning of the end for the Bucks in Milwaukee. If the Kohl Plan goes nowhere, and the city fathers are smugly indifferent, this could be the last College Try before a move.

Call me a fool (not the first time ;) but I think this move by Kohl shows savvy leadership. I'm not used to describing his actions in those terms.

Build or get off the pot, Milwaukee. Give the franchise fresh health, or wave good bye. There comes a time when action one way or the other is mandated...
AFAIK, IDKM
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,780

Post#20 » by RiotPunch » Fri May 4, 2012 5:57 pm

Yeah, people aren't going to support a tax for a new arena. Just ain't gonna happen.

I am pretty shocked that Kohl acknowledged this issue, as massive as the issue is I figured he would continue to sweep it under the rug for as long as possible. That's good to know that he would contribute (how much realistically, though?), but that still leaves an enormous amount of dough needed to get new arena built.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis

Return to Milwaukee Bucks