ImageImage

OT - I'm coming to Milwaukee!

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Cold Crush 24
Sixth Man
And1: 151

Re: OT - I'm coming to Milwaukee! 

Post#21 » by Cold Crush 24 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:07 am

There is this legendary place called Arts in Milwaukee. If you remember one thing about your trip or one place that represents this country as a whole, let it be Arts.
Finals in 2017
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,780

Post#22 » by RiotPunch » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:21 am

Cold Crush 24 wrote:There is this legendary place called Arts in Milwaukee. If you remember one thing about your trip or one place that represents this country as a whole, let it be Arts.

:eyebrows:

Go there if you want to meet Mickey or twirly in person. Twirly is easy to spot in the back corner with his laptop, bottle of lube and multiple appletinis.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#23 » by Ill-yasova » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:39 am

By the way, since you are Australian I just really wanted to thank you for this.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#24 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:00 am

If you are ...just stay off my yellow lawn!

It needs water and fertilizer....no, not from your dogs either! It is never going to be green again with you running on it... :wink:

I am :crazy: today...pardon me. :lol:
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,879

Post#25 » by Jez2983 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:30 am

:lol: at the last 2 posts!

Ill-yasova, cheers for educating me on our country's own athletes :)

Garbs, get onto GAD via facebook. Should be able to hit him up thru the Bucks page. He was a humongous help to me (thanks again mate!) so hopefully he can sort an Aussie out again.

I stayed at Holiday Inn Downtown which was fine. Think was about 150 a night? Maybe 120. Was a while ago. Was a couple of kays from the Bradley Centre so you may want to jump in closer. It's worth investigating about a shuttle from the airport to downtown if you stay there as I remember that being a reasonable drive.

Check out some of the breweries on the river: Rockbottom was good as was Lakefront. A quick google search indicates there was 2 others I missed along the river (Jez fail :() I really dunno what else there is to do in Milwaukee as was only there a day! Harley factory was a popular suggestion, and there seems plenty of places to eat/drink.

Definitely recommend getting on the piss with GAD post game!!! If you're there on Halloween, remember to get a costume (Kangaroo should do!)
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Garbs_7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,582

Post#26 » by Garbs_7 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks Jez, I'll definitely have to have a chat to Gad. Hahaha wow Mbbot's post was fantastic, there is a guy I'd love to meet. I'm still not convinced his account isn't just one of the greatest trolls in history.
Burton_D_Guster
Junior
And1: 15

Post#27 » by Burton_D_Guster » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Sounds like an amazing trip you have planned! I've lived here my whole life and only visited half of those places. Be sure to post on here after your journey is done. Would like to here the good stories! Enjoy your trip!!
White+Purple
Sixth Man
And1: 235

Post#28 » by White+Purple » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:59 pm

MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:If you are ...just stay off my yellow lawn!

It needs water and fertilizer....no, not from your dogs either! It is never going to be green again with you running on it... :wink:

I am :crazy: today...pardon me. :lol:

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#29 » by trwi7 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Stay at the Hilton and visit their **** waterpark.

http://www.paradiselanding.com/
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#30 » by Thunder Muscle » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:29 pm

If you don't care where you stay I'd recommend trying Priceline or Hotwire. I can usually end up getting the downtown Hilton anywhere from $50-$80/night after taxes. It's been more like $60-$80 the past few times, but still a great deal. Its a good location and an elogent place to stay. Otherwise I've also gotten the Courtyard by Marriot, which was also a decent place and good location.
bullox
Banned User
And1: 522

Post#31 » by bullox » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:36 pm

Call me crazy but the LA - Vegas drive is over rated. Having done it numerous times for work, I can tell you it's very boring. You'll find times where you're so bored you're wondering how many miles you can see ahead of you (at some points, quite a few) and things like signs that say Zzyzx Road will seem interesting.

In any event, I hope you enjoy your visit to the US, my new home city and my old (Milwaukee).
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#32 » by InsideOut » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Garbs_7 wrote:
InsideOut wrote:Rent car at Chicago airport to drive around Chicago and Milwaukee area. When done return car to Chicago airport and fly on to next city. Much more to do in Chicago so spend most of your time there.

Don't do LA to Vegas to San Francisco. Land in San Francisco, drive the coast to LA then go east to Vegas. Make sure to see a redwood tree and I also recommend Heart Castle and Golden Gate Bridge. I also like Alcatraz. To much other stuff to mention. Try and focus your time in the California area and NY. Way more to see there than Dallas, Chicago, Milwaukee, New Orleans and Miami...combined (at least more me). Like about using Hotwire as you go for places to stay. Any questions let me know.

Awesome, thanks a lot for the advice. We've already got a few things planned and booked for LA when we land on October 25th and want to do the LA - Vegas drive. We plan on staying a few nights in Vegas then just flying to San Fran, not a great idea?

The other thing was our stop in Texas is still up in the air and I have tetatively booked in Dallas as the default. Some people were telling me Dallas isn't anything special and Austin is better (no nba obviously though). Any suggestions for Texas?

My basic schedule is about 9 days in LA, 14 in NY, 4 in Vegas then about 3 each for the rest of the places.

As others are telling you, the LA to Vegas drive is nothing special..think 4 hours of hills, dirt and sand. San Francisco to LA is one of the best drives in the world. It would be a sin to give up the coast drive to do the LA-Vegas drive. No joke...a sin. It's like passing on a trade for James because you heard Gooden was pretty good.

You should switch 9 days in LA and 14 in NY. Lots to do in NY but way more in southern/central California. Besides, weather California will be great while NY will be getting crappy.

I could put together a great route for you in California and have been to all the places you’re going to but I don't want to waste your time if your route is already set. If you want a bunch of ideas send me a PM with your email and I'll give you all the ideas you'd need. Either way the key is to get off the beaten path. Don't just hang in LA. Drive up the central valley and go to Sequoia National park. Then cut across to Hearst Castle and down the coast. Don't just sit in Vegas...drive up to Zion National Park and hike to the top of Angels Landing. I stood up there and met a lady from England and she said of all the things she did in the US, where she was right that second was the most amazing. Then take a day and take a tour to the grand canyon with a helicopter back. I love to travel and would enjoy helping if I can.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 2,985

Post#33 » by mattg » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:00 am

For what it's worth, I could spend weeks just exploring San Francisco. I was just there this past fall to visit a friend for 5 days and it's easily my favorite city in the US and arguably the coolest.

And I agree wholeheartedly on the coastal drive. I could sit shotgun for that forever.
Garbs_7
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Garbs_7 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:56 am

InsideOut wrote: ...I could put together a great route for you in California and have been to all the places you’re going to but I don't want to waste your time if your route is already set. If you want a bunch of ideas send me a PM with your email and I'll give you all the ideas you'd need. Either way the key is to get off the beaten path. Don't just hang in LA. Drive up the central valley and go to Sequoia National park. Then cut across to Hearst Castle and down the coast. Don't just sit in Vegas...drive up to Zion National Park and hike to the top of Angels Landing. I stood up there and met a lady from England and she said of all the things she did in the US, where she was right that second was the most amazing. Then take a day and take a tour to the grand canyon with a helicopter back. I love to travel and would enjoy helping if I can.

Cool, thanks. I added you as a friend on here so I can send you a PM once you accept (I think). My LA schedule is pretty open, going to get tix to LA / Dallas season opener at Staples Center which will be cool but besides that I would love some ideas.

I'm also going to look at doing LA - San Fran then fly to Vegas now instead considering so many people think it's the way to go.
Garbs_7
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by Garbs_7 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:00 am

N8Frog wrote:If you don't care where you stay I'd recommend trying Priceline or Hotwire. I can usually end up getting the downtown Hilton anywhere from $50-$80/night after taxes. It's been more like $60-$80 the past few times, but still a great deal. Its a good location and an elogent place to stay. Otherwise I've also gotten the Courtyard by Marriot, which was also a decent place and good location.

Ok I'll definitely use Priceline or Hotwire for accommodation that sounds good.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#36 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:05 pm

Garbs_7 wrote:
N8Frog wrote:If you don't care where you stay I'd recommend trying Priceline or Hotwire. I can usually end up getting the downtown Hilton anywhere from $50-$80/night after taxes. It's been more like $60-$80 the past few times, but still a great deal. Its a good location and an elogent place to stay. Otherwise I've also gotten the Courtyard by Marriot, which was also a decent place and good location.

Ok I'll definitely use Priceline or Hotwire for accommodation that sounds good.

The only negative to the above is you have to commit to buy the hotel before knowing where you will be. But if you go Downtomn Milwaukee and anything over 3*, you'll get a decent place. The only one in Downtown that I fear getting is the Ambassador b/c it's not walking distance to downtown and is in a shadier area (although I think it's getting cleaned up) albeit a very nice hotel from what I heard. But like I said, I've almost always gotten the Hilton or Hyatt which are both excellent locations and nice hotels.
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#37 » by PANDEMONEUM » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:57 pm

my 2 cents

drive LA to SF
in SF, for sports u have lots of choices. Raiders, 49ers, GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, Muir Woods

then fly to Vegas

Austin > Dallas.
Austin is way smaller, but the clubs, bars and the whole scene is perfect for ur age group
the women are also very friendly

Chicago to MKE, rent a car. easy 1.5 hour drive
Chi. museums, planetarium, aquarium, House of Blues
Mke. miller beer tour, harley davidson tour, museum, Admirals game

i bet you could get into SQUAD 6 for a game
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#38 » by trwi7 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:00 pm

PANDEMONEUM wrote:Admirals game

I like the way this guy thinks.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#39 » by Badgerlander » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:05 pm

PANDEMONEUM wrote:Austin > Dallas.
Austin is way smaller, but the clubs, bars and the whole scene is perfect for ur age group
the women are also very friendly

agree completely

PANDEMONEUM wrote:Chicago to MKE, rent a car. easy 1.5 hour drive
Chi. museums, planetarium, aquarium, House of Blues
Mke. miller beer tour, harley davidson tour, museum, Admirals game

I'd substitute the Lakefront Brewery tour for the miller tour, I suppose Miller is impressive because it's big but you get one free beer and that's it. Lakefront Brewery you buy a glass and it's all you can drink before and after the tour. On Harley, tour the factory, don't do the museum, it's boring unless you go for a Thursday night event, or check out Milwaukee Harley for one of their events.

http://www.lakefrontbrewery.com/details_details.html
http://www.milwaukeeharley.com/photo_ga ... gory=19222
http://greatlakesdistillery.com/
http://www.theironhorsehotel.com/
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#40 » by AussieBuck » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Massively jealous, make sure you dial up the Aussie accent a notch or twelve for the ladies. I hear they go nuts for it. :D
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter

Return to Milwaukee Bucks