ImageImage

Woelfel on WSSP: Ellis not interested re Bucks extension

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,962

Re: Woelfel on WSSP: Ellis not interested re Bucks extension 

Post#61 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:34 pm

emunney wrote:The thing about offering Monta an extension is that extensions are limited to 4 years including the remaining years on the existing contract. In order to extend right now, Monta would have to opt in on the final year on his current contract, and he could then be extended for two additional years beyond that point (the current year always counts). So if he signs the extension now, he's making 3/35.475 after the time he could have opted out. I'm sure he feels he can do better than 35.475 guaranteed in the open market. Whether he can or not remains to be seen.

so basically hes an idiot if he signs an extension. him not being interested in taking a discount to stay in milwaukee is not even news worthy.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,997

Post#62 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:43 pm

N8Frog wrote:Unless you plan to play Horford at the 5, I don't think you can pursue Horford with Ersan already locked into 30+ million. And I don't know if Horford is a good 5 anyway. And 4 or 5, that is another road block to Henson.

I'd be all over that trade proposed above for Horford. You can never have too many bigs and Horford is all star quality. Also he is locked up the next few years under a very fair contract.

Horford/Ersan would be a very good frontline. Henson/Dalembert/Moute would just add to the defensive depth. Teams would struggle to score against us.

Are we short a good wing in that scenario? Sure. But I'll take my chances with someone off the scrap heap or via trade. Figure out what we've got first and then go for that overpaid wing at the trade deadline if the team looks good.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#63 » by smauss » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:51 pm

I'm not at all shocked either. I'm sure there is some good deal for us out there yet with the Bucks front office - I shutter at what might happen. I believe the Bucks front office is a lot like Congress, based on the available options and their history, I tend to be happiest when they do nothing at all!
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#64 » by emunney » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:59 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
emunney wrote:The thing about offering Monta an extension is that extensions are limited to 4 years including the remaining years on the existing contract. In order to extend right now, Monta would have to opt in on the final year on his current contract, and he could then be extended for two additional years beyond that point (the current year always counts). So if he signs the extension now, he's making 3/35.475 after the time he could have opted out. I'm sure he feels he can do better than 35.475 guaranteed in the open market. Whether he can or not remains to be seen.

so basically hes an idiot if he signs an extension. him not being interested in taking a discount to stay in milwaukee is not even news worthy.

If you assume that it's all about finances, then whether or not you think he's an idiot hinges on whether you think he can get substantially more than that on the open market. It would have to be substantially more to offset the risk incurred by waiting.

I think it's probably mostly not about finances, though.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#65 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:05 pm

Going back to the Horford thing, I'd offer Atlanta a package in this sequence.

1. Monta/Sanders/top 3 protected 2012 #1
2. Monta/Sanders/Toronto style guaranteed lotto pick (as with Lowry trade)
3. Monta/Sanders/unprotected #1
4. Monta/Udoh/top 3 protected #1

All Horford is going to do is help Atlanta win, which I don't think Ferry wants right now. We need to exploit this possibility. We can give him young assets and a guy as "cover" like Monta who will wow the casual fan but not affect wins all that much.

mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#66 » by mlloyd10 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Simple Trade that fill our need for another guard:

Ellis for Garcia and Evans
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#67 » by LUKE23 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:14 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:Simple Trade that fill our need for another guard:

Yuck.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,962

Post#68 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:23 pm

emunney wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:

If you assume that it's all about finances, then whether or not you think he's an idiot hinges on whether you think he can get substantially more than that on the open market. It would have to be substantially more to offset the risk incurred by waiting.

I think it's probably mostly not about finances, though.

why not gamble one year to add four the next, when your 26 years old and playing for a team thats telling you they want you to assume the role of stat whore. the guy is young... he wants his next contract to be THE ONE im sure. its the same thing dwights doing.. the same thing deron.... all of them are going this route under the new cba. i dont see why we should be stun that monta is.

if he plays well and we succeed then we'll have a decision and a financial advantage over others. if the situation sucks then hopefully we can get a pick out of him at the deadline.

and if he wants to walk because he just doesnt care for milwaukee, then that wont be a surprise either. theres not really anything one way or the other to discuss on that level. most nba players feel that way. it just is what it is.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#69 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:27 pm

LUKE23 wrote:

Yuck.

I don't know, I think I'd be all over that trade.

I have no clue if Tyreke can resurrect his career but he'd be the type of moonshot player I'd be more than happy with trying to acquire. I think he'd be a better fit next to Jennings as well.

raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#70 » by raferfenix » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:34 pm

I could see us making a play for Horford if he is available.

As we often say, if we're going to try to win now, why don't we at least win now.

Ellis / Udoh / 1st is a lot to give up. I'd prefer to give up less than that. But if it comes down to it I would probably pull the trigger.

Afterwards we would need some other trade to get a starting caliber SG. Gooden / Sanders would be that much more superfluous if we get Horofrd, so would probably be dealt towards those ends.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#71 » by LUKE23 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:37 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I don't know, I think I'd be all over that trade.

I have no clue if Tyreke can resurrect his career but he'd be the type of moonshot player I'd be more than happy with trying to acquire. I think he'd be a better fit next to Jennings as well.

He's ball dominant, not a great defender, and a poor perimeter shooter. How in the world is he a good fit next to Jennings at all? I'd rather have Ellis and I think he's a horrible fit.
mlloyd10
General Manager

Post#72 » by mlloyd10 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:51 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:I don't know, I think I'd be all over that trade.

He's ball dominant, not a great defender, and a poor perimeter shooter. How in the world is he a good fit next to Jennings at all? I'd rather have Ellis and I think he's a horrible fit.

1. He maybe be a ball dominant player, but then jennings can use his speed to work off the ball and get a decent shot or keep the ball moving.
2. We don't need him to be a perimeter shooter since we have jennings, Dunleavy and Lamb
3. He's not a great defender, but can cover a bigger guard and at least has the size to fight through a screen
4. Lastly, he can play the 6th man role off the bench and would rather have him getting minutes than Beno
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#73 » by jr lucosa » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:52 pm

I wouldn't mind bringing in tyreke as a buy low expiring but swapping him for monta and taking back a dead weight contract isn't something I would want to do.
mlloyd10
General Manager

Post#74 » by mlloyd10 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:56 pm

jr lucosa wrote:I wouldn't mind bringing in tyreke as a buy low expiring but swapping him for monta and taking back a dead weight contract isn't something I would want to do.

What dead weight? Garcia has a TO in 13/14

Im not saying it's something I would do, but since Ellis has stated that he doesn't want to be here, i'd rather get a player (Evans) that is still young and has potential.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#75 » by jr lucosa » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:00 pm

I was thinking it was a PO. Still, I think we can do better.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#76 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:37 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:1. He maybe be a ball dominant player, but then jennings can use his speed to work off the ball and get a decent shot or keep the ball moving.

Yeah, I think that's the bigger point. Tyreke has the potential to be a good facilitator which takes the pressure off Jennings. It is all potential with him, I get that. But of all the names we toss about in trades for Monta, at least this one has potential with it.

As you noted, Garcia is a nice fit for one year. No issues with his contract at all anymore.

eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#77 » by eagle13 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:38 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:I don't know if Ferry would be interested, but I'd at least make a call to Atlanta to see if they want to get Ellis to help entice Howard next year while Ferry can clear more cap space. Ellis & Josh Smith are two of Howards buddies.

Ellis/Sanders/Top3 protected first for Horford

YES!!
start w/ top 5 protected & Sanders
max top 2 protected & Udoj
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#78 » by eagle13 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Kings aren't interested IMO.
They have lots of Gs & Thornton as firmly entrenched starting SG They need help at SF. They're even trying Evans at SF.

Plus I prefer to use Elllis to get Horford ovr Evans
we can do both

do Horford trade then

1- udrih gooden mdj – ORL – redick turkglu
2- turkglu 1st-LP 2nd – SAC – Evans (Garcia)

we get Redick to hit 3s and Evans as big combo
we take Garcia if they want to dump him

Horford / Dale / Pryz
Ersan / Henson / Udoh
Moute / Harris
Redick / Evans / Garcia
BJ / Lamb
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#79 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:53 pm

N8Frog wrote:Unless you plan to play Horford at the 5, I don't think you can pursue Horford with Ersan already locked into 30+ million. And I don't know if Horford is a good 5 anyway. And 4 or 5, that is another road block to Henson.

If that deal is available then you don't hesitate on taking on Horford because we have Ersan. They can play together. When healthy Horford at C has had the Hawks in the Top 4-6 in the east. I'll take that easily right now.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#80 » by Badgerlander » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:34 pm

So let's say we keep him thinking that with his bird rights we can offer him more than any other team (right?) and he opts out after the season and we get into a bidding war with ourselves, what is the max we can offer him? You know an offer so stupid he can't refuse? That, aside from yet another trade for a past his prime wing on an overpaid contract, is the worst case scenario.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks