ImageImage

OT - General College Basketball

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Re: OT - General College Basketball 

Post#121 » by LUKE23 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:44 pm

I was going to post that earlier. Basically, the team presses, and if they don't get a turnover, they let the other team score. Then the aim is to get up a 3 as quick as possible, mostly focused around one player with the intent of scoring records. They have been doing this for a while.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#122 » by Newz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:48 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I was going to post that earlier. Basically, the team presses, and if they don't get a turnover, they let the other team score. Then the aim is to get up a 3 as quick as possible, mostly focused around one player with the intent of scoring records. They have been doing this for a while.

Sounds really stupid.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#123 » by emunney » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:22 pm

Ashamed? Give me a break. This guy has a unique theory on the game and they've had a lot of success with it. You still have to execute the plan. I think it's an interesting experiment.

I would personally never play there because I enjoy playing hard halfcourt defense.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#124 » by Nebula1 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:38 pm

emunney wrote:Ashamed? Give me a break. This guy has a unique theory on the game and they've had a lot of success with it. You still have to execute the plan. I think it's an interesting experiment.

I would personally never play there because I enjoy playing hard halfcourt defense.

That's where I'm at. It's just another variation on style and within the rules. Seems too gimmicky to me, but it's definitely the first time I've heard of it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,747

Post#125 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:41 pm

emunney wrote:Ashamed? Give me a break. This guy has a unique theory on the game and they've had a lot of success with it. You still have to execute the plan. I think it's an interesting experiment.

This isn't the football coach that never punts. This was picking out the weakling on the schedule and bludgeoning them at the expense of records. Yes, they should be ashamed.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#126 » by El Duderino » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:22 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I was going to post that earlier. Basically, the team presses, and if they don't get a turnover, they let the other team score. Then the aim is to get up a 3 as quick as possible, mostly focused around one player with the intent of scoring records. They have been doing this for a while.

I actually watched part of the game via a link and the kid who scored 138, he literally never crossed half court to play defense at all. Instead, he'd jack up a three and then just stand on the offensive end of the court waiting for his teammates to "play defense" and then bring the ball back up the court on offense.
emunney
RealGM

Post#127 » by emunney » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:43 pm

El Duderino wrote:

I actually watched part of the game via a link and the kid who scored 138, he literally never crossed half court to play defense at all. Instead, he'd jack up a three and then just stand on the offensive end of the court waiting for his teammates to "play defense" and then bring the ball back up the court on offense.

Yes, that's part of the plan to get more possessions. They give up 2 if they don't get a turnover because they believe they can get more than 2 by shooting threes and fully committing to offensive rebounding. To increase the likelihood of getting an open 3, one guy just stays back. I've never crunched the numbers on it but anecdotally it works really well for them.

I'd love to play against them and just take the task of blanketing their shooter. I'd hate to play for them because it's very boring and repetitive. It's not showtime fast-paced. It's law of large numbers fast paced.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#128 » by El Duderino » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:40 pm

emunney wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

Yes, that's part of the plan to get more possessions. They give up 2 if they don't get a turnover because they believe they can get more than 2 by shooting threes and fully committing to offensive rebounding. To increase the likelihood of getting an open 3, one guy just stays back. I've never crunched the numbers on it but anecdotally it works really well for them.

That's not what happened though, i watched about half of the game for the hell of it. The Taylor kid who scored 138 points didn't bother ever getting back on defense simply so he could conserve his energy to keep racking up points to get a record.

He'd shoot the ball regardless of how open any of his teammates were and whether he made the shot or missed, he'd just stay in the same spot waiting for the ball to come back to the offensive end and shoot another three. Rinse and repeat on nearly every possession.

I don't have any problem with the actual system their coach runs. I only think the record the Taylor kid set was pretty damn lame given how it went down.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,590

Post#129 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:56 pm

Read the Deadspin piece today after seeing a link via Twitter from Woj. That's pathetic. It's not just some interesting new system that they run; they purposely pick out the worst team on their schedule by a complete log shot and do this for publicity and records.

http://deadspin.com/jack-taylor-138_point-game/
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#130 » by jeremyd236 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:36 pm

"The announcer actually said that Grinnell will look on their schedule for their weaker opponents and do everything they can to run up the score and break records. This is all within the game plan. One tactic the announcer mentioned was called “The Bomb Squad”. If Grinnell’s opponent gets into the double bonus, Grinnell will sub in five freshmen players, foul their opponent immediately once the ball is in play, send them to the line, then sub the freshmen players out to put their scorers back in on offense. This takes almost no time off the clock, giving their starters as many offensive possessions as possible. To win the game? No, not necessarily. To break records."

You're right though, they shouldn't be ashamed of the way they play basketball.
bullox
Banned User
And1: 522

Post#131 » by bullox » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:56 am

As much as it pains me to say it, Shabazz hasn't looked anything like a franchise player in his first two games with UCLA. I don't know if he expected to sit the whole season out but he is definitely not in game shape. He had a couple minor injuries and it's possible that has affected his conditioning. He moves poorly without the ball on offense, takes bad shots at times, forces things that aren't there yet. He picks his moments to turn it up a notch, but they've been few and far between. His FT form is BAD. He pushes the ball, no follow through at all, nearly airballed one against Georgia.

He is a competitor though, so I expect him to smooth out some of the rough edges as he gets in to better shape. As it stands right now he looks like a poor, poor, out of shape version of Carmelo out there. As a ceiling.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#132 » by Nebula1 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:27 am

Archie Goodwin is off to a great start at UK

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ie-goodwin
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#133 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:46 pm

Pretty pumped for Minnesota v. Duke today. Hopefully it's competitive.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#134 » by Rockmaninoff » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:10 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Archie Goodwin is off to a great start at UK

He's been pretty good.

Another guy to look out for is Marcus Smart out of Oklahoma State. He hits his 2's, gets to the line, defensive rebounds like a big, and has a positive a/t. He's either a 2 or he's Chauncey Billups. I'll probably be hyping him until the draft. :D

Lots of good 2 and 5 prospects in this draft.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
emunney
RealGM

Post#135 » by emunney » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:16 pm

Deadspin is the last place I'm going to read a sermon about integrity. They've published more ethically questionable stuff than any sport 'news' destination in history. They're going to accuse a basketball coach of sensationalizing? Please. They'll report whatever version of the story draws the most attention to them.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 2,985

Post#136 » by mattg » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:26 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:Archie Goodwin is off to a great start at UK

He's been pretty good.

Another guy to look out for is Marcus Smart out of Oklahoma State. He hits his 2's, gets to the line, defensive rebounds like a big, and has a positive a/t. He's either a 2 or he's Chauncey Billups. I'll probably be hyping him until the draft. :D

Lots of good 2 and 5 prospects in this draft.

He's a PG in every way, shape and form. Not a 2 guard.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#137 » by stellation » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:25 am

Matty Dellavedova with 32 points (10/16 FG, 10/12 FT) and 4 assists in a St Mary's win over Drexel. Not bad, not bad.
#FreeChuckDiesel
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#138 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:15 pm

Look out for Andre Hollins this year. He just dropped 41 points on his hometown team, #19 Memphis.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,780

Post#139 » by RiotPunch » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:06 pm

Pumped for Badgers/Creighton tonight! :rock:
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,780